Stark Raving Dad - Simpsons

Yeezy

Proud Member
My favourite episode on Channel 4 right now (UK)

Is it really Michael? Ive read loads of things sayin it wasnt really him

:)

Every time I see that episode I think to myself how AMAZING Paris' 16th birthday would be if Michael planned it. She is his little princess and he's all about fairy tales, plus her being his only girl I know he'd have made it a huge deal and a night she'd never forget.

Last edited:
I love this episode! I just watched it. Michaels voice is so distinctive and he just has the best speaking voice in the world, and singing of course :laugh: but, his voice is so cute & lovely! Fab episode. I wish he had actually sung in it though, its cool he wrote the song, i love that song, so catchy! :)

Sony wouldn't allow MJ to sing in the Simpsons because of his contract. They only let him talk. So some other guy did the singing.

This was confirmed a few months ago in a book about the Simpsons. One of the voice actors spoke about his excitement at seeing Michael Jackson sing live in the studio, then his disappointment at seeing somebody else doing it for him

There's a good story about the making of this episode here: http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...liance+with+Michael+Jackson/2024660/story.htm

" Remembering The Simpsons' dalliance with Michael Jackson

Al Jean still remembers the day he worked with Michael Jackson on The Simpsons 1991 episode “Stark Raving Dad,” in which Jackson — under the pseudonym John Jay Smith — performed the speaking voice of Leon Kompowsky, “a big white guy who thinks he’s a little black guy.”

Jackson, a longtime Simpsons fan, had called executive-producer James L. Brooks out of the blue, Jean told Canwest News Service and offered to do a guest-voice role."

And, yes, Michael is not singing:

“Singing in the show is Kipp,” Jean explained. “Speaking in the show is Michael. And the song, ‘Happy Birthday Lisa,’ was written by Michael, but sung by Kipp.”

I remember this episode well. I never watched The Simpsons much, but this episode has always stuck out in my mind. I even remember how the "Happy Birthday Lisa" song goes and I've not heard it in years.

so it really was michael talking then,thanks to the op i never seen that episode before,
but i have a recording on cd someone uploaded here ,so that recording is not michael then?it certainly sounded like ,not the one on the episode though,

Oh definitely my favourite Simpsons episode of ALL TIME. I remember how confused I was back when I was little, because I thought it really sounded like Michael when he spoke but totally different when he sang AND he wasn't credited at the end, so I just assumed it was a very good speech impersonator who sucked at the singing part. :D

Wish I was old enough to of recognised this episode when it was first ever aired. Could you of imagined the buzz! Michael Jackson on The Simpsons!! Would of been amazing.

I wish my name was Lisa. :D Maybe I can pretend it is. :)

Yeah I thought for a long time that it was Mike, It sounded like him when he talked. And some people had said that the reason why he couldn't use his singing voice was due to contractual obligations. Other this and Space Channel 5, I would have love for Mike to also have gone into voice acting, he's great. :yes:

Back