Suggestion - Michael performing at the opening of the olympics in Beijing?

Foxy: did You watch Olympics in Salt Lake City?
I suppose yes; and if so, how could you if there was so obvious thing happening as regular mass killing of children in the country with all kinds of weapons?

Seriously, Olympics and such horrible problems have nothing do with each other where it could be anyhow reasonable to protest by not watching Salt Lake City or Beijing.

You either watch all Olympics, or do not watch those at all. Every country where Olympics went or will go has obvious horrible thing happening in the light of day.

ah do you guys even take notice of the "opening ceremonies" as they happen? :lol: :lol:

The performers are usually from that country...... it's a chance for the host country to celebrate their national art.

so yeah.... MJ wouldn't be a performer.

now more importantly:

Take the political arguements/debates to our GDv3 section and start a thread there if you wish to discuss chinese govermental politics... they have no place here in the MJ General Discussion section.

Secondly, remember that we are an international board with members from all over the planet.
Keep your comments respectful.
You can still declare your distaste for a situation without getting all nasty.
Nasty comments = mod action

Last edited:
Foxy: did You watch Olympics in Salt Lake City?
I suppose yes; and if so, how could you if there was so obvious thing happening as regular mass killing of children in the country with all kinds of weapons?

Seriously, Olympics and such horrible problems have nothing do with each other where it could be anyhow reasonable to protest by not watching Salt Lake City or Beijing.

You either watch all Olympics, or do not watch those at all. Every country where Olympics went or will go has obvious horrible thing happening in the light of day.

Are you talking about the 2002 Winter Olympics?

I don't remember watching them no. I remember watching the ones in Australia though. Also, my problem is with the Chinese fur trade. Not salt lake city.

World Cup is also coming pretty soon.. that is a huge draw

World Cup is also coming pretty soon.. that is a huge draw

The World cup is the way to go if MJ would want to make a splash!

Him performing at the olympics is out of the question, simple reason: The opening acts at the olympics are always related to the culture of the hosting country, not pop music.

Did Michael ever visit China before?

He has visited Hong Kong and performed, as mentioned in PHM about ;). He also visited Taiwan, if you consider it as a part of China.

Hong Kong is under China, but adopts 'one country two systems'. So there's no central authority monitoring any singers/actors coming to Hong Kong.

He has visited Hong Kong and performed, as mentioned in PHM about ;). He also visited Taiwan, if you consider it as a part of China.

Hong Kong is under China, but adopts 'one country two systems'. So there's no central authority monitoring any singers/actors coming to Hong Kong.

Thanks for the info :)

i cant see anything this year tbh or at least till later in the year

someone said on first page chinese gov wont let Mike perform even if he wanted to? So why are Black Eyed Peas playing at the Olympics then?

^^because he has scandal and his image is basically ruined because of the allegations.

I am with MJ WORLD CUP.. is a great way to go...

I would not want his FIRST performance back there, simply because it will be his most important performance, and when performances are done outside in stadiums the way it usually is set up for World Cup events etc.. do not have good sound equiptment, cannot have a great lighting system, and less stage space..

His next performance will be his most important performance.. Maybe EVER!!

I would want him to perform at the World Cup though, for his new album.

Last edited:
It was me who raised the issue of the Chinese fur trade.

It is no sleight against the Olympics or indeed any Chinese people. The point I am raising is that there are things that are completely and utterly disgusting going on in that country that need to be dealt with. How can something as prestigious as the Olympics be held there with these things going on so obviously?

Therefore, I will not be watching the Olympics this year as a part of a self protest I guess. Animal cruelty is something I feel strongly about so it will be up to me how I feel about them going on in Beijing.

true but at the same time.... i think wether the people want to boycott or not, it is not going to change or help this situation. besides it would be pretty hypocritical look at most of the things we buy or wear its all made in china, if your going to boycott china you might as well boycott everything else you have... in fact i believe that by boycotting you will help worsen the situation because china is starting to slowly open up to the western societies and by closing them off and not supporting or watchin the olympics it will only make them regress and we don't want that. Their is a lot of injustices going on there but that is going to take time to fix, you can't just go there and expect them to change completely. This is where i think the Olympic games made a big mistake on their part, they have given it to China but now they have to deal with all their problems they should've evaluated the situation first before giving it to people that might not be completely ready for such a world wide event. As for Michael sure it would be amazing to see him perform in China but right now with all the problems i don't think its a good idea.

ah do you guys even take notice of the "opening ceremonies" as they happen? :lol: :lol:

The performers are usually from that country...... it's a chance for the host country to celebrate their national art.

so yeah.... MJ wouldn't be a performer.

now more importantly:

Take the political arguements/debates to our GDv3 section and start a thread there if you wish to discuss chinese govermental politics... they have no place here in the MJ General Discussion section.

Secondly, remember that we are an international board with members from all over the planet.
Keep your comments respectful.
You can still declare your distaste for a situation without getting all nasty.
Nasty comments = mod action

i don't mean to be disrespectful but you can't expect people to talk about this topic and not mention and discuss politics with such a major issue as this, how about moving this whole thread to political thread then?

Back