The Eagles Greatest Hits Album Surpasses Thriller in the USA

Re: The Eagles dethrone Michael Jackson with all-time top-selling album

? at trapers excuse for lieing about the sales figures.

I just think that Thriller will be back at no. 1 sooner or later.

andjustice4some‏ @andjustice4some · 29. Aug.

So the Estate has asked SONY to investigate the RIAA certifications for The Eagles. Many fans felt the same way Branca did, that they were bogus and pissed off. Hoping that something good will come out of this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On what would have been Michael Jackson’s 60th birthday, we're celebrate the big dreams and achievements of the record-breaking King of Pop. Thriller remains the biggest selling album of all time worldwide &#127758;&#127926; <a href="https://t.co/QXU0YKNVNN">https://t.co/QXU0YKNVNN</a></p>&mdash; GuinnessWorldRecords (@GWR) <a href="https://twitter.com/GWR/status/1034893985662345216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">29. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Soooooo last year RIAA said Thriller was the number one album of all time (in the US) with 33 million sales. The Eagles were at 29 million. Today they are at 38 million. How on earth is it possible that they sold 9 million within a year but Michael apparently sold nil??? What a BS story! Artists don't really sell music anymore, that's why this stupid counting system of streams and YouTube views has been incorporated. I really hate the term "outsold Thriller" they used. It's completely misleading.

^ its unlikely to sell that much but a member did die in 2016 which could have pushed sales up between 2016-2018, they also went on tour last year and are still touring.. each time these old school fans go to a concert and hear the songs.. what is the first album to buy? A best of album! They go around playing there hits and people buy thealbum. That they hear those songs.

I'm not saying they outsold thriller.. my opinion is they just havent updated thrillers sales which they should have before stating that news but - those type of things do surge sales.

When my husband sent me a link to this story, my first reaction was: records are there to be broken. Congrats.
Honestly, even if they had broken MJ's record, it wouldn't have bothered me because it doesn't take away from his greatness. After all, anyone in the world would love to break one of Michael's records, he was the biggest star on the planet. I just didn't like how this was reported. Suddenly breaking MJ's US record turned into "history's best selling album" and "the Eagles dethrone Michael Jackson", implying that the Eagles now had the biggest selling album in the world. Then I looked at the figures and became really annoyed with this BS. Other news outlets also reported that the Eagles "outsold" Michael, which is absolute rubbish. Hence why I mentioned how so-called 'sales figures' are created nowadays, not reflecting actual sales figures. Furthermore, it seems that RIAA only updates the figures one band at a time. Perhaps next year they will only count Michael's streams (since John Branca said he'd look into this) and then he will be back on top, where he belongs ;)
The Eagles haven't charted in years, so obviously I'm skeptical about that 9 million figure, even if a band member has passed away.

It would be since the last certification, not in one year.
However it's interesting to read how differently Nielsen/Billboard and the RIAA count streams.
Drastic difference.

I'm annoyed at the media coverage as well. Especially the ones that said the Eagles had the most "popular" album of all time.

All avenues of music need to count the same way.. there should be a set algorithm that makes sense and would not contradict each other.

But that would make too much sense I guess

When my husband sent me a link to this story, my first reaction was: records are there to be broken. Congrats.
Honestly, even if they had broken MJ's record, it wouldn't have bothered me because it doesn't take away from his greatness. After all, anyone in the world would love to break one of Michael's records, he was the biggest star on the planet. I just didn't like how this was reported. Suddenly breaking MJ's US record turned into "history's best selling album" and "the Eagles dethrone Michael Jackson", implying that the Eagles now had the biggest selling album in the world. Then I looked at the figures and became really annoyed with this BS. Other news outlets also reported that the Eagles "outsold" Michael, which is absolute rubbish. Hence why I mentioned how so-called 'sales figures' are created nowadays, not reflecting actual sales figures. Furthermore, it seems that RIAA only updates the figures one band at a time. Perhaps next year they will only count Michael's streams (since John Branca said he'd look into this) and then he will be back on top, where he belongs ;)
The Eagles haven't charted in years, so obviously I'm skeptical about that 9 million figure, even if a band member has passed away.

^ its unlikely to sell that much but a member did die in 2016 which could have pushed sales up between 2016-2018, they also went on tour last year and are still touring.. each time these old school fans go to a concert and hear the songs.. what is the first album to buy? A best of album! They go around playing there hits and people buy thealbum. That they hear those songs.

I'm not saying they outsold thriller.. my opinion is they just havent updated thrillers sales which they should have before stating that news but - those type of things do surge sales.

Soooooo last year RIAA said Thriller was the number one album of all time (in the US) with 33 million sales. The Eagles were at 29 million. Today they are at 38 million. How on earth is it possible that they sold 9 million within a year but Michael apparently sold nil??? What a BS story! Artists don't really sell music anymore, that's why this stupid counting system of streams and YouTube views has been incorporated. I really hate the term "outsold Thriller" they used. It's completely misleading.

February 1976
(1,000,000 (US) albums sold)

1976 - August 1990 (US) 11,000,000 more sales!!!??? (800,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
12 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1990 - December 1993 (US) 2,000,000 more sales!!!??? (666,666 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
14 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1993 - June 1995 (US) 8,000,000 more sales!!!?? (5,052,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
22 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

real sales (Soundscan) between December 1993 - June 1995 was 919.000 sales (515,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from.

(y)

1995 - November 1999 (US) 4,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
26 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

November 1999 RIAA certified it 26times. it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
1 month before the millenium. sure ^^...

1999 - 2006 (US) 3,000,000 more sales!!!?? (430,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
29 million (US) albums sold!!!???

2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

they just lied and faked the sales. proven. these sales are impossible.

Thaaaank you!! I asked about this earlier in this thread. So I didn't dream it after all, ha ha. The Eagles outselling Thriller is a scam and a fraud. Many of those people going to an Eagles concert probably already own the Best Of album and there is no way on earth that just because one member of the band died everyone got a copy of the album. How many copies did Thriller sell when the biggest artist in the universe died in June 2009?

They are talking about the "Greatest Hits 1971-75"album,which doesn't contain "Hotel California",which was not released until 1976.

Since then,they've cleverly added a "Volume 2",containing that song,more hits and a bonus track! So,I initially thought that might be counted as additional sales.

Looking down the list though,there's also a "Complete Greatest Hits",and a "Very Best Of..."to boot,so even if I was a new fan and wanted an hits album,would I be looking at the original hits "71-75",or an album with the extensive hits list?

Whichever way,it's all still rather suspect .

mjchris;4229728 said:
February 1976
(1,000,000 (US) albums sold)

1976 - August 1990 (US) 11,000,000 more sales!!!??? (800,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
12 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1990 - December 1993 (US) 2,000,000 more sales!!!??? (666,666 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
14 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1993 - June 1995 (US) 8,000,000 more sales!!!?? (5,052,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
22 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

real sales (Soundscan) between December 1993 - June 1995 was 919.000 sales (515,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from.

(y)

1995 - November 1999 (US) 4,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
26 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

November 1999 RIAA certified it 26times. it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
1 month before the millenium. sure ^^...

1999 - 2006 (US) 3,000,000 more sales!!!?? (430,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

they just lied and faked the sales. proven. these sales are impossible.

Thank you very much again jmchris for your useful post, everything is here, peoples here should take their references from this post and not accept some false "news", for to be clear, the RIAA give the numbers of shipment, imposed by the musical group like for the Eagles Warner music, Soundscan post the real sales, Soundcans is used by Billboard like the main source, not the RIAA, some links about that:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...iller-approaches-eagles-all-time-sales-record

the same article from Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ar-close-to-eagles-hits-idUSTRE56I2B820090719

and a more complete article:

https://medium.com/@shallowrewards/on-soundscan-and-music-celebrity-997514109ef2

In the UKmix forum, you can see the real numbers from Soundscan for all the Eagles albums, including Hotel California, and that extremely different to the ones from the RIAA.

Lot of peoples have conflict with the RIAA about their sales, including for Elvis albums or more recently for the Grease album (see my previous post).

For the Estate asked to investigate Sony about this situation, I really hope that will work, they should simply ask the extreme differences between the RIAA ans Soundscan numbers, or why some albums like Grease or Thriller don't have been certified by the RIAA between 1984 and 1990 according the Billboard/Reuters article.

I have found a very good post in mjjcommunity about these numbers by Hemlock Devi:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...s-the-top-male-artist?p=2637448&mode=threaded

"Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 time&#8217;s platinum, came in May 1990."

"This says it all, only 1 million (21xUS) Thriller sales from 1984-1990???
(166,667+ copies sold per year)"

Just to add,that none of those streaming sales are from Google Play Music..
You can't get ANY hits albums from the EAGLES,so that's one service that's out of bounds for starters

Just compare the most relevant numbers and info about the Eagles from CSPC: Eagles Popularity Analysis

https://chartmasters.org/2017/12/cspc-eagles-popularity-analysis/

40 years ago the success of the Eagles&#8216; fifth album titled Hotel California was so massive that the industry was looking for new words to define it. Along with Stevie Wonder&#8216;s Songs In The Key of Life, Fleetwood Mac&#8216;s Rumours and Frampton Comes Alive!, it sold over6 million units during its first year. While the RIAA had introduced the Platinum Award some months earlier, these industry gorillas opened the door for multi-Platinum discs that would arrive in 1984 for the first time.

By then the Eagles had already split although they only released one more studio album, 1979&#8217;s The Long Run, since their global breakthrough. Their former members Joe Walsh, Don Henley and Glenn Frey were successfully going solo. This brief period of success shouldn&#8217;t be enough to make this band one of the all-time greats. The Eagles are inevitable in every Classic Rock bands list though. The song Hotel California is an absolute classic, but in various countries there is nothing else from them that is popular. Just one song doesn&#8217;t transform an average act into a giant rock band, the Animals and Derek & the Dominos can confirm that. What&#8217;s the truth then? How does Hotel California stand against the biggest albums of all-time? How many units has Their Greatest Hits 1971-75 sold, the album that was long the front runner in terms of Platinum awards in the US?

As usual, I&#8217;ll be using the Commensurate Sales to Popularity Concept in order to relevantly gauge their results. This concept will not only bring you sales information for all Eagles&#8216; albums, physical and download singles, as well as audio and video streaming, but it will also determine their true popularity. If you are not yet familiar with the CSPC method, the next page explains it with a short video. I fully recommend watching the video before getting into the sales figures. Of course, if you are a regular visitor feel free to skip the video and get into the figures.

Or reead the comment by MJD, the (co)author of most of the articles:
Hi guys!

I have seen the RIAA updates as well as your comments. I may post an article about these awards, but here are some points that need to be clarified:
&#8211; there is no bias or so on RIAA certifications, they are legit as far as their rules are concerned
&#8211; obviously, Hotel California and GH 1971-1975 haven&#8217;t got that high thanks to streaming and downloads, at best they gained 1 Plat each from there
&#8211; &#8216;new&#8217; sales can only come from older units first audited / allowed now
&#8211; Cracked Rear View already gained 5xP a few months ago, certified by Rhino too
&#8211; there is a &#8216;risk&#8217; to see remaining WEA (Warner, Elektra, Atlantic) albums explode soon too, this includes Led Zep IV and Rumours
&#8211; while the new &#8216;sales&#8217; have now be allowed, there is no guarantee that they are &#8216;valid&#8217; (they can be gift or so)

Hope it clears some doubts!

About the Eagles sales Records & Achievements:

At 171 million equivalent album sales, the Eagles are the most successful act ever with 8 studio albums or less.
At 70,58 million equivalent album sales, Hotel California is the 2nd most successful album of all-time.
At 70,58 million equivalent album sales, Hotel California is the most successful album of the 70s.
At 26,21 million equivalent album sales, Eagles is the most successful album from 1972.
At 51,84 million equivalent album sales, Hotel California is the most successful song of all-time.
At 30,25 million pure album sales in the US, Their Greatest Hits 1971-75 is the second highest selling album ever.
At 37,45 million pure album sales Worldwide, Their Greatest Hits 1971-75 is the highest selling compilation album ever.
At 12,88 million pure album sales Worldwide, Hell Freezes Over is the 5th highest selling live album ever.
At over 3 million music videos sales, both Hell Freezes Over and Farewell Tour are among the Top 10 highest selling videos ever.
The Eagles are the only act ever with 30-million selling studio albums and compilations.

I find this article from chartmasters, well like usual from them, simply dumb, sorry for this kind of words, absolutely no analysis about the comparaison between RIAA and Soundscan, and I really don't see how they have found 9 millions albums from clubs music for the Eagles; in ukmix forum and other sources, they have a little more of 1 millions albums; for chartmasters, I have never taken them seriously (see their articles about the Jackson five or Elvis sales), in general they don't have the full sales so they make some theory (again see their analysis about the Jackson five/Jacksons; and how they "refuse" that they have sold 100 millions albums).

Except that, we have a reaction from John Branca about that:

https://twitter.com/Hammertonhal/status/1036037478136913920

"John Branca said on Aug 29 RIAA's certifications for Eagles are bogus. "There is zero chance Eagles outsold Thriller"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTtqYHKyEk

This fan from twitter, @HammertonHal, have created a very complete information for the comparaison between Thriller and the Eagles album; very instructive, and they have contacted the RIAA by mail, but they have been extremely evasive in their answers:

https://twitter.com/Hammertonhal/status/1032193199257862144

Last edited:

To me, chartmasters.org is the most accurate database of the record sales I have ever seen, J5/Js have not sold 100M albums..., where ? on Mars?

Elvis sales of all his records is one of the most documented ever on chartmasters, among those hundreds of records/EPs, albums whatever....

Chartmasters articles have nothing to do with the Estate or the Eagles or John Branca, on the contrary, he can read their analysis to have a clue.

Last edited:
Or reead the comment by MJD, the (co)author of most of the articles:

Hi guys!

I have seen the RIAA updates as well as your comments. I may post an article about these awards, but here are some points that need to be clarified:
– there is no bias or so on RIAA certifications, they are legit as far as their rules are concerned
– obviously, Hotel California and GH 1971-1975 haven’t got that high thanks to streaming and downloads, at best they gained 1 Plat each from there
– ‘new’ sales can only come from older units first audited / allowed now
– Cracked Rear View already gained 5xP a few months ago, certified by Rhino too
– there is a ‘risk’ to see remaining WEA (Warner, Elektra, Atlantic) albums explode soon too, this includes Led Zep IV and Rumours
– while the new ‘sales’ have now be allowed, there is no guarantee that they are ‘valid’ (they can be gift or so)

Hope it clears some doubts!

What does this mean:
"while the new ‘sales’ have now be allowed, there is no guarantee that they are ‘valid’ (they can be gift or so)

When they are not valid they can not be counted?

@IloveHistory

So your are agree with the RIAA numbers for the Eagles Greatest Hits ?

For the Jackson five, well according their own article about the Jackson five, they don't have the complete sales, so they try to guess with a doubtful method, so it's just a theory, if I remember correctly with their method, they have concluded that the Jacksons have sold something 65 millions albums or something like that, so why not 30 millions more ?...if they don't have all the numbers, from all the Jacksons albums (and they have done lot of albums in motown) worldwide, how they know the 100 millions albums are false ?

https://chartmasters.org/2017/09/cspc-jackson-5-the-jacksons-popularity-analysis/

"As the Motown label, which owned the group under their Jackson 5 line-up, wasn&#8217;t affiliated with the RIAA their sales have been the subject to many myths. From their biggest doubters to the most insane claims, which famously included in 1985 &#8216;The Jackson 5 sold 100 million records&#8217;, and second to the Beatles, we have read it all."

The source was I think from Motown in 1985 (or maybe the Guiness, I don't remember), but it was a well known numbers, you can find this info in some Michael Jackson fan site; but look like they say themselves in this "article", Motown was not affilied to the RIAA, so how they know if it's false or not ?

Ask Elvis fans what they think about their "analysis", they will destroy chartsmasters, Elvis fans or BMG themselves are not sure since decades how many albums he have sold, there are various fan site about that and how they don't like the way the RIAA have treated Elvis legacy.

And for chartmasters, I don't know for who they work, so I don't know if they are affiliate to Warner Music or something like that, I find weird that they have ignored the Soundscan sales for the Eagles; ukMix have done a far better job than them; I find honestly chartsmaters dishonest and frankly not objective (to be polite) with their "concept":

https://chartmasters.org/2016/03/the-commensurate-sales-to-popularity-concept-cspc-introduction/

the weirdest thing I have ever read, they try to calculate with that the popularity mixed with the sales, and they conclude that Hotel California have been as successful than Thriller ? I quote them:

https://chartmasters.org/2017/12/cspc-eagles-popularity-analysis/33/

"More than 70 million. Colossal. Hotel California storms into our Biggest Albums Ever list at #2, ahead of Saturday Night Fever, and only topped by Michael Jackson&#8216;s Thriller. Quickly becoming one of the best selling albums of all-time upon release, the LP has since generated zillions of sales of compilations, live albums, music videos, singles, downloads and streams to reach this gargantuan total of 70,6 million equivalent album sales."

Most of the numbers from your list are from this kind of methodology, with this method, I think the Jacksons have sold far more than 100 millions albums (with all their compilations etc...).

@Annita

lol a "gift", for what ? first they say that the sales are valid, and in the end they say they are maybe not ? it's for this kind of things that I hate chartmasters.

and to say that RIAA are legit, well ask them about the Grease albums or see this article:

http://www.mosesavalon.com/nielsen-ratings-at-odds-with-riaa’s-claim-of-‘lost-sales”/

Last edited:
Chartmasters are a joke. I don’t trust their methodology at all. MJD have changed the sales of the Jacksons on many occasions. Their figures are just estimates and on many occasions, they are wrong.

Exactly Niteline, again see Chartsmaster and how they have litteraly invented Eagles greatest hits sales for to give the credibility to RIAA in comparaison to physical sales (so Soundscan), be careful I have never seen such bad faith in an article:

https://chartmasters.org/2016/10/understanding-music-clubs-part-2/2/

"Eagles &#8211; Their Greatest Hits 1971 &#8211; 1975 (Elektra) (1.52 million units)

Is it realistic to expect 8,9 million units sold at Columbia House? At that Club alone, no. Factoring in other Clubs &#8211; after all, although dominant, Columbia House plus BMG Music Club added only for 70% of all Club sales in the 90s, even if remaining Clubs were often specialized ones &#8211; unscanned sales, Country retailers, direct sales at live gigs, post-1993 military sales, the tally of 8,9 million turns out to make sense."

They have litteraly invented this number of 9 millions for the Eagles album from 1 millions album in Music clubs/BMG (despite like they say, to be 70% of all the club sales), and they do that all the time, they create all the narration to say if an album or an artist, in general they have clearly their favorites or their hated artists, if they deserves their reputation or their sales, or like for the Eagles, they don't hesitate to boost their sales from nothing.

Last edited:

Eagles Greatest Hits Soundscan sales from the last 11 Years:

2007, May

2007, November

2007, December 8

2008, January 26

2010, June 6

2010, October 3

2010, November 6

2012, September 1

2012, October 27

2013, March 2

2013, March 16

2013, March 30

2013, June 15

2013, July 13

2014, April

2014, November 1

2016, October 29

2017, January 7

2017, January 14

2017, June 3

2017, August 12

2017, Year End

6,228,000 since 1991 (= 27 Years, = 230.000 sales each year)
1,173,452 from May 2007 to Dezember 2017 (= 128 Months, = 110.000 sales each year)

Last edited:
ILoveHIStory;4229789 said:
To me, chartmasters.org is the most accurate database of the record sales I have ever seen, J5/Js have not sold 100M albums..., where ? on Mars?

Elvis sales of all his records is one of the most documented ever on chartmasters, among those hundreds of records/EPs, albums whatever....

Chartmasters articles have nothing to do with the Estate or the Eagles or John Branca, on the contrary, he can read their analysis to have a clue.

"So how many records&#8212;albums, singles, and downloads&#8212;did Jackson sell in total? A tougher question. Classic-era Motown refused to have its sales audited by the industry, so there are no official gold and platinum figures from this era. Vieira says that the Jackson 5 sold a bit less than fifty million singles and fifty million albums for the label. Jackson had a solo career at Motown (with hits like &#8220;Ben&#8221; and &#8220;Got To Be There&#8221;) and then further success with his brothers on Epic records, recording as the Jacksons. Then came his momentous adult solo career, beginning with the albums &#8220;Off the Wall&#8221; and &#8220;Thriller.&#8221;

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/did-thriller-really-sell-a-hundred-million-copies

I think you need to do more resrch buddy, Motown could be to blame for that.

A step into club sales of all-time top US sellers

The Eagles&#8216; Greatest Hits 1971-1975 sold 38 million copies in the US, making it the best selling album of all-time in the country. That&#8217;s a good story, at least good enough to make headlines of major American media for a pair of days. Many will simply think &#8220;wow!&#8221; when reading about it, charts followers&#8217; reaction has been &#8220;How?&#8221; yet.

The increase of 71-75&#8216;s awards from 29xPlatinum to 38xPlatinum has been debated a lot during the last few weeks. This album has been surrounded by controversy for much longer though. From 1990 to 2002, it shot from 12xPlatinum to 28xPlatinum while scanning 4,5 million units at retail as per Soundscan.

While it&#8217;s always good to be doubters, we shouldn&#8217;t automatically call for conspiracy as soon as something looks suspicious. When an album is audited, it&#8217;s natural to expect it to increase only by as much as it sold since its last upgrade. It may seem sensitive, but it isn&#8217;t. Every certification has its story. Chart rules evolve, audits aren&#8217;t always comprehensive nor they are necessarily up to date.

The most infamous case is the one of music clubs. We already went through them, pointing out precisely the case of the Eagles. Fact is, in 1994 all club sales, including free goods and initial subscription offers, were made eligible. This resulted into massive jumps in certifications for some albums.

Now that Discogs is bringing us a lot of information, we can exploit it. For nearly 25 years we had to take RIAA increases thanks to clubs for granted. What about challenging these boosts with proper data? Let&#8217;s check the share of club sales among Discogs&#8217; owners for the 9 albums that sold over 20 million units in the US. Namely, Eagles&#8216; Greatest Hits 71-75 and Hotel California, Michael Jackson&#8216;s Thriller, Led Zeppelin&#8216;s IV, AC/DC&#8216;s Back in Black, Hootie & the Blowfish&#8216;s Cracked Rear View, Fleetwood Mac&#8216;s Rumours, Shania Twain&#8216;s Come On Over and Pink Floyd&#8216;s Dark Side of the Moon.

READ MORE HERE, and add your comment to confront MJD, or just ask some questions - https://chartmasters.org/2018/09/a-step-into-club-sales-of-all-time-top-us-sellers/

ILoveHIStory;4230178 said:
A step into club sales of all-time top US sellers

The Eagles&#8216; Greatest Hits 1971-1975 sold 38 million copies in the US, making it the best selling album of all-time in the country. That&#8217;s a good story, at least good enough to make headlines of major American media for a pair of days. Many will simply think &#8220;wow!&#8221; when reading about it, charts followers&#8217; reaction has been &#8220;How?&#8221; yet.

The increase of 71-75&#8216;s awards from 29xPlatinum to 38xPlatinum has been debated a lot during the last few weeks. This album has been surrounded by controversy for much longer though. From 1990 to 2002, it shot from 12xPlatinum to 28xPlatinum while scanning 4,5 million units at retail as per Soundscan.

While it&#8217;s always good to be doubters, we shouldn&#8217;t automatically call for conspiracy as soon as something looks suspicious. When an album is audited, it&#8217;s natural to expect it to increase only by as much as it sold since its last upgrade. It may seem sensitive, but it isn&#8217;t. Every certification has its story. Chart rules evolve, audits aren&#8217;t always comprehensive nor they are necessarily up to date.

The most infamous case is the one of music clubs. We already went through them, pointing out precisely the case of the Eagles. Fact is, in 1994 all club sales, including free goods and initial subscription offers, were made eligible. This resulted into massive jumps in certifications for some albums.

Now that Discogs is bringing us a lot of information, we can exploit it. For nearly 25 years we had to take RIAA increases thanks to clubs for granted. What about challenging these boosts with proper data? Let&#8217;s check the share of club sales among Discogs&#8217; owners for the 9 albums that sold over 20 million units in the US. Namely, Eagles&#8216; Greatest Hits 71-75 and Hotel California, Michael Jackson&#8216;s Thriller, Led Zeppelin&#8216;s IV, AC/DC&#8216;s Back in Black, Hootie & the Blowfish&#8216;s Cracked Rear View, Fleetwood Mac&#8216;s Rumours, Shania Twain&#8216;s Come On Over and Pink Floyd&#8216;s Dark Side of the Moon.

READ MORE HERE, and add your comment to confront MJD, or just ask some questions - https://chartmasters.org/2018/09/a-step-into-club-sales-of-all-time-top-us-sellers/

I find funny how they try to find a way to justify what they call themselves "a massive jumps" from club music, the problem, it's the RIAA massive sales for the Eagles album don't work with the club musics numbers (see my previous comment), in fact, the most famous music club have just 1 millions copies and half, not 20 millions more albums.

Also, I don't like his word "conspiracy", it's like peoples who dare to ask question about RIAA numbers are irrational, look, we have the soundscan numbers, see the numbers by mjchris, see the various articles, I mean Billboard are conspirationist too for to point this problem about the Eagles sales ? the true is very easy, this numbers are just pure fantasy from RIAA and Warner Music, if the guy from this article from chartmaster is forced to justify these numbers, it's the proof there are a big problem no ?

And seriously...charmasters from the articles, it's so stupid, they try to make a ratio between BMG sales, with maybe...what ? collector owners, with ratio from...nowhere ? see from this article:

"Converting Discogs data into sales figures

First, we collect Discogs raw data. Second, we value it. Third, we exploit it. That latter step consists in using our ratios and apply them back to the raw values. That will convert owners into sales. Results are displayed below.

"Blue lines are deduced by multiplying Discogs owners with the conversion ratio we obtained earlier. Orange lines exploit RIAA and Soundscan data. The first line is the number of units certified as of the start of 1991 &#8211; simple assumptions are done from last pre-1991 award and monthly sales up to that year. The second line is the up to date Soundscan number. Please keep in mind that Thriller&#8216;s Soundscan figure has been adjusted since the official number double counts the 2001 edition, inflating its tally by 1,1 million. Clubs sales are simply the gap between pre-Soundscan plus Soundscan sales and up to date estimates."

"Consistency with RIAA awards

We can point out a striking correlation between both methods. Greatest Hits 1971-1975 is indeed far and away the top selling album through music clubs, followed by IV and Back In Black. This table proves huge increases in RIAA certifications during the 90s of all these albums were completely legitimate. The two albums that have really big gaps are Thriller and Cracked Rear View, the two for which we know versions are missing on Discogs, so it&#8217;s again perfectly consistent.

One may argue we get these results because we calculated our conversion ratio with up to date sales, which themselves use RIAA&#8217;s jumps thanks to club sales. Even if we re-do all calculations assuming 0 club sales for every album, focusing on pre-1991 certifications and Soundscan data only, as per Discogs&#8217; method Greatest Hits 1971-1975 still emerges as the top seller of the pack on clubs, followed by IV."

Conclusion from their methodology, 1 millions (BMG) to 12 millions albums from nowhere for music clubs, worst that with the other article, and lol about Soundscan "inflation" for Thriller; seriously Soundscan now is the problem with Thriller ? I don't see how they have reach this conclusion about Soundscan for Thriller (they don't really explain that), but no problem with the Eagles GH... so dumb, later:

"The BMG all-time Top 100 list

A second notable conclusion is that 2003&#8217;s list of top selling albums of the BMG Music Club must be taken with a pinch of salt. While figures for all albums inside the list are consistent with remaining data and make sense, it seems to miss various albums."

So BMG should be taken with a pich of salt, but not RIAA and they reach this conclusion with the numbers from...BMG ? Seriously ?

and later they complain about RIAA, but justify their numbers, by more no sense:

"Eagles&#8217; recent RIAA certifications

Obviously, figures listed in this article do not explain the recent certifications of the Eagles. Their Greatest Hits went from 29xPlatinum to 38xPlatinum while Hotel California jumped from 16xPlatinum to 26xPlatinum. We also need to add Cracked Rear View there. It rocketed from 16xPlatinum to 21xPlatinum back in May despite very low catalog sales, download sales, and streaming points since its last award. It scanned less than 10,4 million while it came out during the Soundscan era. This album, just like both Eagles&#8216; albums, has been upgraded by the label Rhino.

Many discussed sales of Eagles&#8216; records since their last certifications. While it&#8217;s a part of the story, there is much more. If we focus on Greatest Hits 1971-1975, it scanned roughly 1,2 million units since 2006. Its singles were downloaded under 6 million times while they registered an estimated 400 million audio and video streams in the US. In total, that&#8217;s just over 2 million SPS, good enough to move up to 31xPlatinum. While this is absolutely massive, that is well short of 38xPlatinum.

If not for newly achieved sales, upgraded units must come from previously unaccounted for copies or from a change in certifications&#8217; rules. As far as older sales not audited until recently are concerned, they are quite doubtful. It&#8217;s not completely unconceivable that Eagles&#8216; albums had some millions not certified until 2018. It&#8217;s truly unlikely, giving how many audits they were subject to, Discogs&#8217; data, patterns of remaining Asylum&#8217;s awards, former Billboard charts, yearly catalog sales, Warner annual reports, etc. everything suggests their previous certifications were comprehensive, but still it is not completely impossible. That being said, how can we explain the case of Cracked Rear View? It&#8217;s a 1994 album that was certified and updated regularly from day one. Suddenly identifying 5 million sales doesn&#8217;t make sense. It&#8217;s all the more suspicious to expect Rhino to have found 7/8 million previously uncertified units of Eagles&#8216; albums that were sold during the Soundscan era."

and they are not happy when RIAA and Warner Music don't justify these numbers, but hey, the most important things, charmasters are not into the conspiracy:

"Overall it&#8217;s somehow disappointing. A standard copy / paste, there&#8217;s nothing we already didn&#8217;t knew, and that still doesn&#8217;t tell us where these millions came from. It does confirm at least that RIAA rules haven&#8217;t change during the last year, implying that all extra sales are supposedly units that haven&#8217;t been previously accounted for. I answered back to the email, mentioning it still doesn&#8217;t clarify the huge inconsistency with former certifications but got no further answer. We can&#8217;t blame the RIAA for this unsatisfactory email, they have no right to publish receipts of labels. That would break their relationship of trust with them.

Warner Music Group&#8217;s contact was the only one in the loop to avoid comments, while the label is the only actor that can really put some light on this case. We are left with many questions but no good answer.

Although we are still not convinced by these awards, I would like to make it very clear that all conspiracy theories are plain absurd. Through the years, many suspicious certifications popped up and time gave us clarifications that proved they were legitimate. There is no reason to expect otherwise for these new ones. Even if in the long run they happen to be deemed incorrect, that can barely due to a human error during the process from a Rhino employee. In any case, it is key to understand how they were obtained in order to consider them as proper facts from now on."

Conclusion from charmaster by me "we have tried to justify horrible numbers by weird calculation, with the most generous conversion from our own method, we still can't find a way to justify these crazy sales from RIAA, but hey, at least we are not conspirationist !!!"

It's very funny again how they call Billboard by extension "conspirationist", Billboard, for the record, who prefer to work with Soundscan for their charts:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...iller-approaches-eagles-all-time-sales-record

Last edited:

Chartmasters is interesting data-wise and premise-wise but sometimes they make no sense at all.

Back