The Estate of Michael Jackson enters partnership with Sony Mobile

Yeah it's growing on me too. I still think the instrumental is too weak, like not punchy enough, if you know what I mean. Yeah I understand they need to bring in new fans. Didn't stop me being pissed at first though :p I hope it's successful too. Hope they release the original demos though. I'm not sure if I'll buy it if it's just remixes.

ha, i was pissed too at first, - but i cooled down and realized that it's not always about us :)
I get what you mean about the music, though.

When I first heard this remix snippet I thought it was crap, but after listening to it a few times, it's okay. I think the instrumental doesn't go with his vocals. It's like too relaxed, if you know what I mean? I don't know how I feel about this atm lol.
There is simply no POWER in it. The power is gone. STTR requires power.

Last edited:
I never knew an announcement was coming so when this popped up on my Facebook feed this morning I was pleasantly surprised.

This is great promo I reckon. Hope to see LOTS of it on television.

I never wanted Timbaland on an MJ record, and I don't rate him. I said all that months ago when he was first tied to the next MJ project. So I'm not surprised the song sounds like this therefore I'm not particularly disappointed lol. I guess it's all expectation.

I reserve my full opinion until I hear the full track though. And I do like some of the elements that have been added and the strings etc.

I agree it's not always about us Pimbolli but it was partially because of us, the most hardcore and loyal ones, Michael had a lot of success and that status of legend. Obviously his immense talent to create masterpieces hada lot to do with it to begin with. At moments the Estate makes think they don't give a damn what we think.

The strings are great IMO.

It may need a little more BASS and somre more powerful drums or something.

BUT - this is a commercial version, so it may be different on the album. :)

STTR isn't about power and it doesn't need it. Its about urgency.

Its about a Women trying to satisfy her career needs and trying to take care of her children.
This is about a powerless women who is undoing herself for the man. She has no power. She says she wont do the dance anymore, but she kept "dancing" and didn't quit.

Look at some of the comments on the video. "can anybody tell me the name of the song", " song name please!". It is already WORKING! Shamoonee

i also thought, that STTR needs some "dramatic" touch. so it would fit more the lyrics. and this timbaland mix sounds more dramatic.
a punchy bassline with more groove and strong snares - would be nice but actually not fitting.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about the advert? (ie the 'selling' message)...

I was interested that the first male dancer appears to be dancing in a subway. He's also wearing an outfit with a few zips and chains..query reference to Bad? (but with brighter 'Sony' colours, which tend to be a trademark of their ads). The billowing red fabric behind the leaping female dancer is very much a 'Michael' shade of red.

The qualities that the ad seems to be pointing up include precision, style, a commitment to excellence, a mix of the classic and the modern. All qualities that I imagine Michael might approve of. Oh yes, one more thing...the phone is waterproof.

For those on the forum who would prefer a Sony Xperia 'advert' with a 'Michael approved music' track..I found one for you. :) Here it is:

STTR isn't about power and it doesn't need it. Its about urgency.

Its about a Women trying to satisfy her career needs and trying to take care of her children.
This is about a powerless women who is undoing herself for the man. She has no power. She says she wont do the dance anymore, but she kept
"dancing" and didn't quit.
What? Have you heard the vocals in this song? You rarely hear MJ go so hard. It needs a more powerful instrumental. Harder drums, harder bass (and a better bassline), more stuff going on. To me, like someone mentioned above, the music doesn't go with the a cappella.

When I said POWER, it had nothing to do with what the song is about. The way the verses, bridge and chorus + ad libs are sung in STTR, it does require power. This isn't Hollywood Tonight.

What? Have you heard the vocals in this song? You rarely hear MJ go so hard. It needs a more powerful instrumental. Harder drums, harder bass (and a better bassline), more stuff going on. To me, like someone mentioned above, the music doesn't go with the a cappella.

When I said POWER, it had nothing to do with what the song is about. The way the verses, bridge and chorus + ad libs are sung in STTR, it does require power. This isn't Hollywood Tonight.

The vocals are for a rock song. STTR was originally a rock song. Ala Give Into me.
The Tricky music doesn't fit as well, the Timbo mix still has the same flaw imo. The vocals aren't for house, hip hop, techno. They are meant for Rock Music.
If you listen closely the new mix has rock elements such as the low distorted guitar, hit hats. Its in the right direction at least, and for this reason alone I believe it is truer to the demo

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about the advert? (ie the 'selling' message)...

I was interested that the first male dancer appears to be dancing in a subway. He's also wearing an outfit with a few zips and chains..query reference to Bad? (but with brighter 'Sony' colours, which tend to be a trademark of their ads). The billowing red fabric behind the leaping female dancer is very much a 'Michael' shade of red.

The qualities that the ad seems to be pointing up include precision, style, a commitment to excellence, a mix of the classic and the modern. All qualities that I imagine Michael might approve of. Oh yes, one more thing...the phone is waterproof.

I also thought the subway location was Bad -esque. The female dancer reminds me more of a "Susie" character. So The video itself is Michael like, the dancing is also nice.

Last edited:
I'm very happy that this will give Michael more exposure, but the remix sounds horrible to me. Like the instruments don't match the voice, like the song is not meant to sound that way... I have nothing against remixes, as long as they are just in a different style but still as good as the original in their own way. But this one sounds like it would be better if you removed all the instruments and just listened to the acapella. That tells me there's something wrong with it... Even if unfinished, I wouldn't be surprised if Michael's demo sounded better...

Well I just hope that the general public will figure out that this is a remix, and that the original version is no doubt better. No, I have not heard Michael's version, but I have faith in him, I'm pretty sure his version is better. It always is...

The vocals are for a rock song. STTR was originally a rock song. Ala Give Into me.
The Tricky music doesn't fit as well, the Timbo mix still has the same flaw imo. The vocals aren't for house, hip hop, techno. They are meant for Rock Music.
If you listen closely the new mix has rock elements such as the low distorted guitar, hit hats. Its in the right direction at least, and for this reason alone I believe it is truer to the demo
Well, there you have it. Give In To Me has a lot of "power", especially the chorus.

When MJ sings "she must be out her miiiiiii-iiind up!", you can just tell a powerful chorus is incoming. Not like the Timbo one. IMO, the Tricky one has a way more powerful chorus, even though I am not a fan of the EDM style in it.

Its been stated before. I don't have a link or anything, but it is.

Well, there you have it. Give In To Me has a lot of "power", especially the chorus.

When MJ sings "she must be out her miiiiiii-iiind up!", you can just tell a powerful chorus is incoming. Not like the Timbo one. IMO, the Tricky one has a way more powerful chorus, even though I am not a fan of the EDM style in it.

True, ill give you that. I like Timbo ad-libbing more. EMD wasn't Michael's style aswell, I believe he didn't like Techno. Of course, who actually knows what we are judging. It could be a breakdown chorus torward the end of the song. I do like the mix, and I will be supporting this album.

The guitar, strings and horns in this mix are Michael-esque so I wouldn't be surprised if they were inspired or taken from the original demo.

I kinda don't like how the background vocals were dramatically lowered but I just listened to this mix on my my speakers on full blast, and OMG! This is banging!!

The commercial is the beginning of the album promotion. You cried for something big and relevant to help promote it and now some are trying to sabotage the promotion of the new album because they don't like this particular song.. by posting the album will be crap etc on the video. I find that uncalled for and very selfish and sad. We have enough of that from the boycotters and estate haters who don't want any songs released. . Do we really want to sabotage ourselves and the success of the new album by doing that crap. Unbelievable and stupid selfish actions from fans. IMO .. You are on my **** list now.

I think the most important advice I can give the Estate now is to build an integrated marketing campaign for the new album.

Take this Experia baton and run with it.

Don't let this die off and THEN start the album campaign.

But how do you know Zakk nobody has heard the original version. I am happy about it being on advert, I'm sure the new version will grow on me, new album must be on the way !!! P.S I don't like the way they say MJ's solo version, I don't want them to acknowledge b*****. It's Michael's song. Apart from that excited new album coming soon !!!!

But how do you know Zakk nobody has heard the original version. I am happy about it being on advert, I'm sure the new version will grow on me, new album must be on the way !!! P.S I don't like the way they say MJ's solo version, I don't want them to acknowledge b*****. It's Michael's song. Apart from that excited new album coming soon !!!!

alot of the bieber fans claimed that bieber wrote it - gave it to michael to record some vocals and after MJ died, bieber re-recorded his parts (to sound more adult) and then BAM - leaked it. some bieber fans really claimed it that way (youtube, forums etc.).

but finally they are proven wrong.

The commercial is the beginning of the album promotion. You cried for something big and relevant to help promote it and now some are trying to sabotage the promotion of the new album because they don't like this particular song.. by posting the album will be crap etc on the video. I find that uncalled for and very selfish and sad. We have enough of that from the boycotters and estate haters who don't want any songs released. . Do we really want to sabotage ourselves and the success of the new album by doing that crap. Unbelievable and stupid selfish actions from fans. IMO .. You are on my **** list now.

Some of us who are stating our opinions are not against that commercial, neither attacking the fans who like that remix but some of you are insulting us when all we did was expressing our dislike. If you wanna buy the album even if it doesn't have the original versions, is up to you but if some of us decide not to buy it for not having the original tracks is up to us. It doesn't mean we're selfish for deciding that.

Some of us who are stating our opinions are not against that commercial, neither attacking the fans who like that remix but some of you are insulting us when all we did was expressing our dislike. If you wanna buy the album even if it doesn't have the original versions, is up to you but if some of us decide not to buy it for not having the origins tracks is up to us. It doesn't mean we're selfish for deciding that.
Sorry but you misread my comment it had nothing to do with that you are saying. My comment. has nothing to do with you or anyone disliking any song or anyone not wanting to buy the album because the song they want are not on it.. Fans can like or dislike any song they want. Fans can make their own decision to buy or not to buy. I have no problem with that. I was speaking of fans trying to sabotage the promotion and the album project for other fans just because they may not like particular songs etc... There is a difference. IMO

I like that this song is being used for commercials to promote this phone. It gets Michael out there to the casual market who may not really be fans. Maybe this mix is inspired by Michael's demo, which I hope is the case, but we don't know. Hopefully we'll find out from the Estate at a later point during the album promotion. But if it isn't based on his demo, I think it's a good mix, again, it's made that way to attract a modern market of listeners for Michael. Personally I like the leaked mix a bit more so far, but I'll wait to make final judgement once I hear the full song. I'm just really excited this is the beginning of the album promotion, I can't wait until it picks up steam and we finally some news from the Estate.

Im just a little heart broken that we have no confirmation on a possible release of the Victory Tour on DVD and maybe Bluray. I honestly thought it was that, and started counting down the hours to today just for that. If a new album is really coming i hope it's good, like REALLY good... because i honestly think a HQ or HD Victory Tour release wouldve beaten anything else at this time.

alot of the bieber fans claimed that bieber wrote it - gave it to michael to record some vocals and after MJ died, bieber re-recorded his parts (to sound more adult) and then BAM - leaked it. some bieber fans really claimed it that way (youtube, forums etc.).

Talk about living in La-la Land.

but finally they are proven wrong.

lol the fact that the song's original recording is older than Bieber himself is more than enough proof whose song it really is xD

I'm happy with this version :)
v5eidk.jpg

I really need this version!

the commercial is the beginning of the album promotion. You cried for something big and relevant to help promote it and now some are trying to sabotage the promotion of the new album because they don't like this particular song.. By posting the album will be crap etc on the video. I find that uncalled for and very selfish and sad. We have enough of that from the boycotters and estate haters who don't want any songs released. . Do we really want to sabotage ourselves and the success of the new album by doing that crap. Unbelievable and stupid selfish actions from fans. Imo .. You are on my **** list now.

bless you sister!!!

Sometimes MJ fans disgust me.
Yes that is quite a strong statement but it's true.
MJ fans must be the most unreasonable and difficult to please.
Before MJ died, when he was making arrangements to set up his estate, he knew what happens when a music star dies. He wasn't stupid, he saw what happened to Elvis and Bob Marley, to Tupac and Biggie.
He deliberately chose executors who he thought could do the best job at fulfilling his wishes and choose the best projects to work on. He knew they would need to use his unreleased material and I'm sure he would be glad that they're aiming at giving him another chance of having a hit. I'm sure he knew they would need to remix demos and previously released material.

As for the track, it sounds very like music MJ would have made if he teamed up with Timbo. The strings, beat and drums sound like an MJ track. Timbo has done a good job of modernising an old dated MJ track and giving it a contempory feel, while retaining the essence of MJ and of course his own feel too.
People should not write this track off purely because they don't like the mix used in this advert with an extended intro. I really hope Sony and MJ Estate don't pay too much attention to the hard-core fan community because some people will not be happy unless they only release raw mj tracks with zero commercial potential. Why is it the hard-core ignore what MJ would have wanted? Why do they choose to sabotage each project? It's juvenile and completely unnecessary, and to post negative comments all over the internet is just stupid. We should be supporting good marketing opportunities like this one, not damaging it through blind stupidity.

Also we should be happy that Sony are seeing MJ as a viable way to promote their new phone! They could have chosen any hot artist now, but they chose MJ! I just hope this promo campaign isn't wasted like the Pepsi one was. The Pepsi campaign had so much potential but was practically invisible even to most MJ fans who knew about it. I want to see the Sony campaign on TV, in cinemas etc. I want this to run worldwide!

Don't forget that MJ was toxic to advertising agencies for many years after the 1993 allegations. He went from making ALOT of money through campaigns to nothing because nobody wanted his image anywhere near their products (except from a couple of adverts in Germany and Japan). First we had PEPSI use MJ's image (albeit in a very veiled low-key campaign) and now SONY - another massive worldwide company. it's great news! Perhaps others will follow if the Sony campaign will succeed.

Overall, I like this mix.
I like this campaign.
Fingers crossed this works very well for Sony and the MJ Estate. I hope this will link into an album announcement soon.

Back