The Great Debate - Poll of Polls

Do I believe It Is Michael On The Three Tracks In Question.

• Yes

Votes: 152 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 135 35.2%
  • I Can Not Decide

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Maybe in Parts

Votes: 73 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Milli Vanilli incident wasn't in the digital age, there was no way to compare and analyze like we can now. In this age, SONY and the Estate could never get away with it, and that's why I think they'd never try it.

Unfortunately, criticism is easier then defending from criticism for what you believe in. That being said, I'll always defend on what I believe in, I have to do it everyday with people having a problem with me being an MJ fan, so I might as well defend my opinion against other fans. To think I wanted to get away from that...

A lawsuit seems to be the only way to finally get the doubters what they want, proof that it's him.

The Milli Vanilli incident wasn't in the digital age, there was no way to compare and analyze like we can now.

Oh that's alright then...

It's proof positive that the company is ready to break the law to sell records. Simple as that.

What I am saying is that no company would be bone-headed enough to do soemthing like that in today's age, where information is more readily. Plus, Milli Vanilli never performed public, no-one knew their voice. People know MJ's voice, so SONY and the Estate wouldn't be that stupid, now would they?

Better yet, go ahead and sue the Estate and SONY. Use a court of law to prove your point rather than using this place as a platform. SONY is defeatable, so don't claim that they've won. If you truly believe what you claim, then sue SONY. Now, the people that like the new album and the Cascio tracks will now return to their corner to peacefully listen to MJ's new work.

What I am saying is that no company would be bone-headed enough to do soemthing like that in today's age, where information is more readily. Plus, Milli Vanilli never performed public, no-one knew their voice. People know MJ's voice, so SONY and the Estate wouldn't be that stupid, now would they?

Yes. They would.

Now, the people that like the new album and the Cascio tracks will now return to their corner to peacefully listen to MJ's new work.

Do that. And don't debate it if you want peace and quiet.

i havent got his album yet :no:but i think most of the songs are him from reading quite alot about it :yes:

Better yet, go ahead and sue the Estate and SONY. Use a court of law to prove your point rather than using this place as a platform. SONY is defeatable, so don't claim that they've won. If you truly believe what you claim, then sue SONY. Now, the people that like the new album and the Cascio tracks will now return to their corner to peacefully listen to MJ's new work.

This thread has been created for us to voice our oipinion and if you dont agree then go back and listen to jason Malachi and discus in the appropriate threads how great Jason sings this or that part of Braeking News

Last edited:
Oh , i voted to soon , i think "maybe in parts" :) I am still sure that MJ is in BN , but some parts not...

Breaking News and Keep Your Head Up are definitely him IMO.
I'm unsure about Monster. Some parts are maybe him, but the ad-libs sound strange.

I voted no, for me, and it's my own opinion and I respect other's too) I don't hear Michael on those tracks. Maybe sampled screams, but not the voice.

The results of this poll really makes me sad...

I truly believe with my whole heart that Michael Joseph Jackson isn't singing one single note on Monster, BN or KYHU and to see so many fans accepting these vocals as genuine really depresses me. It reminds me of when Michael said "if you hear a lie often enough you will start to believe it."

More than 3/4 of the fan community thought something was wrong when they first heard BN. Now the albums out and fans have had time to have repeated listens to all the Cascio songs I feel like people are starting to fall for it.

It isn't Michael. It isn't the same man who's singing on Hold My Hand, Best of Joy or Hollywood Tonight. I would bet my life on it, I am that sure.

I truly believe with my whole heart that Michael Joseph Jackson isn't singing one single note on Monster, BN or KYHU and to see so many fans accepting these vocals as genuine really depresses me.

Don't be down and don't be depressed. The truth will come imminently and you'll be able to enjoy the fact that you were right.

I truly believe with my whole heart that Michael Joseph Jackson isn't singing one single note on Monster, BN or KYHU and to see so many fans accepting these vocals as genuine really depresses me. It reminds me of when Michael said "if you hear a lie often enough you will start to believe it."

More than 3/4 of the fan community thought something was wrong when they first heard BN. Now the albums out and fans have had time to have repeated listens to all the Cascio songs I feel like people are starting to fall for it.

It isn't Michael. It isn't the same man who's singing on Hold My Hand, Best of Joy or Hollywood Tonight. I would bet my life on it, I am that sure.

If you hear a lie often enough, you start to believe it...Michael you were SO right....:no:

If you hear a lie often enough, you start to believe it...Michael you were SO right....:no:

Yes. But he was also right when he said 'Lies run sprints but the truth runs marathons.' Love that man from the pit of my stomach and I'll never let this fraud go on until the truth comes out.

Saw these pictures from the official launch and it made my stomach turn...

http://mjfanclub.net/home/images/stories/news/Party/07_branca and eddie c.jpg

http://mjfanclub.net/home/images/stories/news/Party/06_frank d branca and mcclain 2.jpg

All those 'friends'... yet not one member of the family... it's an absolute nightmare...'

Yes. But he was also right when he said 'Lies run sprints but the truth runs marathons.' Love that man from the pit of my stomach and I'll never let this fraud go on until the truth comes out.

http://mjfanclub.net/home/images/stories/news/Party/06_frank d branca and mcclain 2.jpg

All those 'friends'... yet not one member of the family... it's an absolute nightmare...'

ugh...Ive got my own opinions about that...i shall not divulge though :ninja:

I do love that man from the pit of my stomach too....Mike, come back :no:

Why would the family be there if they're against the album? Common sense would tell you, they'd sit this one out.

The first posthumous Michael Jackson release without ONE member of his family? It looks absolutely disgusting to me.

'Common sense'? And I'm rude?

How is that rude? It's the truth, if they're against it, what makes you believe they show up at a release party?

And weren't you the same person dropping F-bombs repeatedly in one of these debate threads? Oh, alright.

Beautifully written.

Sony Music... breaking the law...

"Under the agreement, SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT, one of the world's leading record companies and owner of a number of major record labels, has agreed to stop making payments and providing expensive gifts to radio stations and their employees in return for "airplay" for the company's songs. Such payoffs violate state and federal law."

http://www.internetdj.com/article.php?storyid=653

oh yeah..thanks for the link. so..sony, the company that people here said would never stoop to foolish behavior, because they have a lot of investors? well well well...apparently, their investors believe in foolish behaviour. once a zebra, always a zebra.

Sony isn't the only label to do that though. It was a normal thing amongst labels a few years ago, that article also highlights that in the last sentence. So in essence, all labels are evil.

I love michael from the bottom of my heart too--and i know you're right. he is not on the cascio tracks. the back and forth debate can go on forever, but the proof is on the track.

there are a lot of people that will stand up for this, you're not alone. I do have faith the truth will come out someday, it's just going to take some time. if there's anything i can do to help, please PM me! i'm not really sure where we can go from here.

much love to all michael fans, no matter WHAT you believe. we're all in this together and i don't doubt anyone's commitment or respect for MJs legacy.

Sony isn't the only label to do that though. It was a normal thing amongst labels a few years ago, that article also highlights that in the last sentence. So in essence, all labels are evil.

so does that make it ok?

hey..i was never a fan of lables waiting till aritists die to 'appreciate' them. i always had a porblem with that.

anyway..so here it is..sony..willing to invest in the lie of milli vanilli, but not the truth of Michael Jakcosn's Invincible..

and for those who would like the Jakcsons to sue...if you were a target of as many sharks as the Jacksons..eventually, you learn to choose your battles..there's always a big battle..but after awhile, you get tired. we're in a letigious society...there are many lawsuits...some sue when it's unwarranted. so..Michael, who was the King victim of slander, didn't always sue..so whether or not somebody sues is not a definitive indicator of whether or not they were wronged.

and as for those who argue on behalf of Teddy Riley who says he's willing to go to court on behalf of his agenda..well...MJ is dead. it's easy to go to court, now.

my last paragraphs were in general response to other posts i've seen, not necessarily at you.

bottom line...people are willing to invest in anything they want. risk has nothing to do with it.

and not all criminals get caught. there are those who are granted the power of immunity. there are those who pay their way out.

and for those who are innocent..they don't have to do a lot of protesting...the truth will follow them..no matter what people try to say to twist it.

hey...people who want to stand for sony, are going to stand for them, no matter what evidence comes out against them. but in the end, truth will prevail..

i can sleep at night, being an enemy of sony.

Last edited:
I grow weary of all this. I think I'm done with the arguing. I'm tempted to boycott all future releases whether they use impersonators or not. Sony have form, and it's damning. The legacy of Michael Jackson doesn't need their ghastly 'contribution'. There was some great songs on 'Michael', but I think that was in spite of Sony, not because of them.

so does that make it ok?

hey..i was never a fan of lables waiting till aritists die to 'appreciate' them. i always had a porblem with that.

anyway..so here it is..sony..willing to invest in the lie of milli vanilli, but not the truth of Michael Jakcosn's Invincible..

and for those who would like the Jakcsons to sue...if you were a target of as many sharks as the Jacksons..eventually, you learn to choose your battles..there's always a big battle..but after awhile, you get tired. we're in a letigious society...there are many lawsuits...some sue when it's unwarranted. so..Michael, who was the King victim of slander, didn't always sue..so whether or not somebody sues is not a definitive indicator of whether or not they were wronged.

and as for those who argue on behalf of Teddy Riley who says he's willing to go to court on behalf of his agenda..well...MJ is dead. it's easy to go to court, now.

my last paragraphs were in general response to other posts i've seen, not necessarily at you.

bottom line...people are willing to invest in anything they want. risk has nothing to do with it.

and not all criminals get caught. there are those who are granted the power of immunity. there are those who pay their way out.

and for those who are innocent..they don't have to do a lot of protesting...the truth will follow them..no matter what people try to say to twist it.

hey...people who want to stand for sony, are going to stand for them, no matter what evidence comes out against them. but in the end, truth will prevail..

i can sleep at night, being an enemy of sony.

Hey 144,000, I haven't seen you posting for a while. Nice to see you back. I miss your posts! :D

I totally agree with the bolded part! Very well said.

SO YOU WANNA TALK TRASH ABOUT MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE NEW ALBUM? OK, YOU ASKED…

As a Michael Jackson fanatic, pop music observer/critic, and singer with pitch and range that kick ass (sorry to boast but it's the truth), in addition to being privileged to have spent time with Michael (as many old timers on the board who know my story will attest), I believe my observation and opinion have value and hold some weight. I strive to find the truth and have no agenda in my statements other than sharing what I know and feel. I've been listening to and studying Mike's vocals for 30 years (yes, thirty). I've listened to him sing and watched him perform nine Bad concerts and have heard him sing in person, one on one. With this experience and intimate knowledge, I can say with confidence that all three tracks in question are, at the very least, songs conceived by and developed in part by Mike. That being said, it seems clear that each one of these three songs was in a completely different stage of development prior to Mike's passing, so it isn't surprising they receive the reaction they have in their appearance on this album. These demo tracks (clearly not finished songs upon Sony's receiving them) required a variety of work to be completed prior to their being release. The work varied in quality and magnitude, seemingly in direct proportion to the quality of their end result. One demo in particular ended up a work of catastrophic proportion. This is certainly not breaking news to anyone. ;-) I'll break down each song a bit and provide explanation as to how the song resulted from origin to final release.

- BREAKING NEWS -

Breaking News folks --- this song is crap. To any listener, this is clearly the song least realized by Michael Jackson that was included on the album. It appears almost foreign in relation to the other songs. The quality of the vocals are exceptionally low in both sound and message. The vocals have been altered so grotesquely that many fans are certain they are not those of Michael Jackson! In a way they are quite correct. It took me quite a few listens to figure this one out. While I am now certain the vocals originated with Michael Jackson, they were afterward stretched, pinched, reworked, chopped, amended, fluffed, flattened and manipulated in so grotesque a way that there is very little of Mike that can be heard in the song. Still, at the origin, the vocals are Michael's and not a fabrication of Sony's imagination, however deceptive the end result. There is no need to put judgement on Michael's talent because the demo was his. Rather, one should judge Sony Record's lack of good judgement in choosing this song for inclusion on the album. At its best, Breaking News (probably not even the title he would have intended) is a skeleton, barely even an idea of a song. Entire sections of Breaking News are newly created and never a part of the original demo or intention of the song as Michael laid down the demo. One need only listen to the a cappella version and mentally remove the huge gaps of silence (the parts that have later been added including lead vocals by Mr. Porte) to see this song for what it was…a demo containing perhaps 40 seconds of Mike's vocals. Without the filler and repeat of lyrics clearly added later on, there is little here that resembles any song, let alone a song by Michael Jackson.

While we are individually the deciders of what was worthy of release, I would have left this one in the vaults for a release of odds and ends in 40 years. Honestly, I would have preferred the album have nine tracks and just left this off. It is a distraction at best and may in the end destroy the chances of success for the entire album. Threadbare and without personality, we will never know what Mike would have created from this demo. Certainly it was not that with which we ended up. The song lacks the "Mike Jack" sound that made me fall in love with him and his music. I can say with certainty that never, never, never, ever, in a million years, would Mike allow the vocals as they are in this song to be released in any fashion. He would be embarrassed. F*&^ing with this demo as much as it has been is a great insult upon Mr. Jackson's high level of quality production and clarity in message and sound.

If Sony really had intentions of maliciously creating an album that was a complete fabrication in Michael Jackson's name, I can guarantee you it would sound better than the songs I've discussed. Had they hired a truly talented impersonator, manipulation of that person's vocals, in an effort to replicate Mike's vocals would have been a thousand times easier than what has been done with Breaking News. It would have been quite easy to layer vocals, as Mike did, in order to falsify their sound.

- HOLD YOUR HEAD UP -

Hold Your Head Up, too, is clearly a demo track but lacks far less in quality and listen-ability than Breaking News. The vocals and song structure were clearly far more actualized by Mike before it was provided to Sony. The sound is unquestionably that of Mike's, as are the lyrics. On one hand it can be argued that the lyrics as they stand are not those one would normally hear on a Michael Jackson record. After all, their message isn't entirely clear, the lyrics of each verse don't read all that well as laid out and in combination with one another, and they certainly do not read as clearly we've come to expect from an inspirational Michael Jackson song. His 'get off your ass and do something' songs are always clear and haven't yet confused anyone as to their message; usually upon first listen. These lyrics aren't cohesive in such a manner but are no less those written by Mike. One need only listen to previously released demos on The Ultimate Collection (and other sources), to understand that Mike's lyrics develop over time and change quite a bit from conception to completion. The melody does not, but the lyrics do. Some of the demos Mike released contain odd lyrics that are nothing like their finished versions. There are often long sections with nothing more than 'da da da' and the likes to indicate where the lyrics will eventually land within the melody. Similarly, a few of the demos that have been released contain nearly fully realized songs but have a bridge that is only hummed, where lyrics have later been added (For All Time). Clearly, in Mike's song development process, lyrics didn't always make a cohesive story or count as much in structuring a song as much as melody. He said as much in the interviews with Oprah and Bashir. Unlike Breaking News, the fundamental concept, structure and essence of Hold Your Head Up were complete prior to their production for this album. The gospel choir heard in Hold Your Head Up is the one clear alteration/addition other than the production of the song. Their appearance assists twofold. First, they serve to make the song highly motivational in message. While Michael sings, "I need your love…I need your love", the choir rejoices while singing, "Gonna shine his light on us today." Perhaps his intention was to sing to God, but to me it seems to be a tool for clarifying the message of the song. As with Breaking News, we'll never be certain of Mike's intentions. Hold Your Head Up is miles beyond Breaking News in staying true to it's original source. Mentally removing the choir and added beats allows one to hear how the demo likely sounded. Like Breaking News, the demo would have been much less involved or interesting to hear. It is filled with emotion though, and there are layers of vocals clearly part of the original demo, indicating a much more complete song. Overall, I think Sony's producers did a decent job with Hold Your Head Up. Yes, I agree, it isn't to Mike's standards by far, but it makes me smile and I think Mike would be happy to know that. . To me they seem a clear attempt to make the lyrics more cohesive as they are. After all, the is nothing in the song that Mike wrote that refers to God, or God taking care of us. I mean, I get it, why they had to do something to make it work well, but it doesn't work that well and Mike would certainly have made major changes to the song before releasing it.

- MONSTER -

Clearly the most actualized song of the three Cascio tracks. If a majority of the work on this song was done after Mike's passing, I'm surprised. The vocals are exceptional yet clearly familiar. The ad-libs are new and appropriate to the song in the MikeJack style I've come to depend on. As with the other Cascio tracks, I have no doubt that the vocals on this song authentically those of Michael Jackson. Gladly, this song partially redeems the other two tracks in its quality and adherence to the Mike Jack sound, concept and production. His voice is heard more on this song than the other two and on this track lie multiple vocal layers and vocal stacks. While clearly still a demo prior to production due to the sound quality of the vocals, little is lost in the interpretation. Perhaps Michael sang more strongly and with more conviction on this track because it was more complete in his head when put on tape. Maybe the song was special for a reason specific to him. It's clear that Mike had a vision for this song; perhaps it descended quickly from the heavens into his head, as he had described the songwriting process. It's very likely that this song has had alterations: added flares, sizzles & pops, moved 'oh's and ah's', repeated 'ha's and the like. There may have been a tempo change, but at its very heart and soul, this is a Michael Jackson track without question. The lyrics are familiar, the theme is classic MJ yet not a carbon copy of an older track. The passion behind the vocals is genuine, and the overall feeling after hearing the song is one of excitement. One imagines the amazing video Mike would have created to compliment this song when listening. It doesn't take much work or imagination to feel Mike in this track. It certainly would have been a huge hit for him; dare I say another #1? Perhaps it still will be, but so much of Mike's success was based on his presence, his magic, his artistry, dance, love and passion. It's clear to me in his voice that Mike knew this was a hit upon inception and I believe this was one of the songs (of the three released most certainly) that he continued to work on and intended for eventual release. Any doubts as to the authenticity of this being a Michael Jackson track I think would disappear upon a couple listens. To me it is so clearly a Mike Jack song that I have trouble understanding any argument otherwise. One could easily create a special edition CD on which this track would fit without flaw. I imagine:

BE SCARED OF MICHAEL (SPECIAL EDITION)

1) Thriller
2) Is It Scary?
3) Monster
4) Ghosts
5) Threatened

I simply LOVE this song! Out of the three it is clearly the winner. While not the strongest of all the tracks, I am happy it is on the CD and sure that Michael would be proud of the end result (though he'd never admit it). Folks, whatever you want to believe for whatever reason, please trust me. This is a Michael Jackson song on which Michael Jackson singing the vocals and the song is written by Michael Jackson. The song to which I refer? Monster.

- CONTROVERSY (Surprised? Why? Mike was the master!) -

Should they have so desired, Sony might have hired an impersonator to sing base vocals that were strong and therefore easy to manipulate to match Mike's real sound. Even without a human to begin the process, Sony could have used old recordings and the latest technology to easily create a song better than Breaking News. As is, the songs basic structure is nearly entirely new and does not in any way resemble what Mike had recorded or was developing. One then may ask, what was he developing? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Quite simply, were Sony to commit outright fraud, the legal punishment, bad press and destroyed reputation would be the same regardless the process. Why then would Sony put any effort into creating a bad song, using an excellent impersonator and the latest technology to ensure a shoddy, poorly received, pre-determined flop like Breaking News? This is the contention and allegation of some fans who claim these songs are complete fabrications and are not demos from Michael Jackson morphed into completed songs. Maybe they make this contention because they don't want to ever hear or see Michael at half best, or even 70% best. Of course Mike would NEVER have let these pieces of ideas of songs into Sony's hands, but he is not here with us anymore and we all have to live in reality. So, if one desires anything 'new' that is Michael Jackson's, one need accept this fact and realize beggars can't be choosers. If one desires to live in a world with only those songs created by and completed by Michael, their only option is to pull out and play one of his many fantastic, brilliant songs completed in his lifetime. In this regard, for many of us, it is exciting to have an album that gives us a glimpse into what might have been, even if it isn't right on the mark. We know the past is gone and cannot be redone, but we look forward with hope while appreciating the past.

- SONY AND THE FUTURE (Reality check) -

This is a company based on greed doing whatever they feel necessary to make a buck. I believe that in releasing these songs, some barebones with all new production, some updated older songs, and some entirely new material, Sony is testing the reception to different ways of selling Mike's music. Thank goodness that the public didn't come back to them and say, "Wow, this cut and paste bullshit is AWESOME!" I believe they now know how better to package future releases and know better what should be included. Still, don't doubt that you'll see some pathetic attempts by Sony, with little regard to quality or loyalty to Mike, on future releases. It's nearly certain they will do this in fulfilling their need for 10 albums (okay, only 8 now). Unlike Mike, Sony cares ONLY about sales. They DO NOT care if the song goes number one, DO NOT care if world records continue to be broken, and DO NOT care that damage is done to the image of Michael Jackson as long as it doesn't effect sales. At the end of the day, Sony only cares about how much money is on the books at the end of the day. Period. Sony is not a person or group of people, but a corporation that answers to stock holders. Their sole purpose is to make money now and in the future; nothing more and nothing less. Keeping this in mind may help one to accept what we'll see in the future regarding Michael Jackson; not just from Sony either.

Are we really all that shocked by Sony to be honest? Do I need to post the pictures of Mike on the double decker bus in London? Come on peeps.

- BEST OF JOY (Smile, when your heart is aching) -

At the very least, I now know that Michael had joy in his life during his final years with us on earth. In fact, he appears to have had the Best Of Joy. And nothing could make me, as a friend and a fan, feel better. Best of Joy is the song I dare anyone to claim does not derive from the very heart, soul and immense talent of Michael Jackson. Upon the first listen, during the first verse when the melody moves to a minor chord, I found myself with tears in my eyes. Now, having listened to it fifty times, I still tear up upon the chord change. It is a song only Mike could create - beautiful, happy, happy, joyful, yet still a feeling of desire; a sadness in not being able to have the whole world feel so much wonder. This was Mike to me: caring, loving, open, generous, free, full of hope; also, sad, lonely and longing for more. At his essence Michael to me is the most human of any beings. Only Michael Jackson can do this to me…give me hope, make me feel not alone, make me grateful for what I have and who I am and remind me that there are others out there that need love and help. No other person, no form of technology, no movie, tv program or show of any kind, and certainly nothing deceptive will ever touch that part of my soul. In that vein, the album is worth every penny and more just for this providing me The Best Of Joy. Thank you Michael Jackson. You will forever be a part of me.

- WHO'S RIGHT, WHO'S WRONG? (Come together) -

I can't understand the need some have to go on the attack 'on behalf of Michael's legacy'. This idea need be put this in perspective. First, not a single one of us is powerful enough to change the world's perception of anyone or anything. Second, even as a group we can't change perception. We've tried in the past and it's only backfired. We were never seen as Michael's army of angels to anyone but Michael. The rest of the world viewed us and even referred to us as 'those crazed lunatic brainwashed followers of Michael Jackson'. Finally, we need to know that there is nothing, not anything and not anyone, that can bring down the legacy of Michael Jackson. We are not able to create Michael Jackson's HIStory. HIStory is done, as painful as that is to say and know.

Michael Jackson is cemented forever as a visionary, a humanitarian with capacity for giving beyond normal comprehension, an icon of hope, love and compassion, a human being with enough talent to entertain the whole world, a man who was greatly misunderstood and wrongly persecuted, an American who lived an unimaginable life born into a world of segregation only to end up the most famous person…in the world! No haters or fans can elevate or destroy him now. He is immortal and in many ways he now is invincible. We, his fans, were here for him during his life and he was keenly aware of this fact. It made him so very happy and provided him hope when he had trouble finding a reason to go on.

I truly believe that Mike wouldn't want us to spend our time arguing. He would say, now is the time to create OUR history.

Love you Mike. Thank you for saving my life.

144 said:

This isn't the right battle to pick? I believe it is, Sony is profiting off of their son's, brother, and uncle's name, even though it's not him on the records. Surely this is one of the things they should fight, because if they don't whose to say how long this will go on? If they can get away with it this time, how are we so sure that won't try it again? Nip it in the bud, that's how I feel regarding the situation. Not saying the Jackson's are right or wrong, but picking battles shouldn't be used as an excuse as to why they haven't done anything legal about it yet.

Look at all the illegal Michael merchandise that was being sold, and the threads that created here about it, people were begging The Estate to sue these people in order to get them to stop illegally profiting off of Michael's name. Now we're just supposed to sit back, and say "alright, Katherine, Taryll, and Joe, it's okay, we understand, you'll get them next time"?

I respectfully disagree with that part of your post.

sfboys;3148115 said:
SO YOU WANNA TALK TRASH ABOUT MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE NEW ALBUM? OK, YOU ASKED…

As a Michael Jackson fanatic, pop music observer/critic, and singer with pitch and range that kick ass (sorry to boast but it's the truth), in addition to being privileged to have spent time with Michael (as many old timers on the board who know my story will attest), I believe my observation and opinion have value and hold some weight. I strive to find the truth and have no agenda in my statements other than sharing what I know and feel. I've been listening to and studying Mike's vocals for 30 years (yes, thirty). I've listened to him sing and watched him perform nine Bad concerts and have heard him sing in person, one on one. With this experience and intimate knowledge, I can say with confidence that all three tracks in question are, at the very least, songs conceived by and developed in part by Mike. That being said, it seems clear that each one of these three songs was in a completely different stage of development prior to Mike's passing, so it isn't surprising they receive the reaction they have in their appearance on this album. These demo tracks (clearly not finished songs upon Sony's receiving them) required a variety of work to be completed prior to their being release. The work varied in quality and magnitude, seemingly in direct proportion to the quality of their end result. One demo in particular ended up a work of catastrophic proportion. This is certainly not breaking news to anyone. ;-) I'll break down each song a bit and provide explanation as to how the song resulted from origin to final release.

- BREAKING NEWS -

Breaking News folks --- this song is crap. To any listener, this is clearly the song least realized by Michael Jackson that was included on the album. It appears almost foreign in relation to the other songs. The quality of the vocals are exceptionally low in both sound and message. The vocals have been altered so grotesquely that many fans are certain they are not those of Michael Jackson! In a way they are quite correct. It took me quite a few listens to figure this one out. While I am now certain the vocals originated with Michael Jackson, they were afterward stretched, pinched, reworked, chopped, amended, fluffed, flattened and manipulated in so grotesque a way that there is very little of Mike that can be heard in the song. Still, at the origin, the vocals are Michael's and not a fabrication of Sony's imagination, however deceptive the end result. There is no need to put judgement on Michael's talent because the demo was his. Rather, one should judge Sony Record's lack of good judgement in choosing this song for inclusion on the album. At its best, Breaking News (probably not even the title he would have intended) is a skeleton, barely even an idea of a song. Entire sections of Breaking News are newly created and never a part of the original demo or intention of the song as Michael laid down the demo. One need only listen to the a cappella version and mentally remove the huge gaps of silence (the parts that have later been added including lead vocals by Mr. Porte) to see this song for what it was…a demo containing perhaps 40 seconds of Mike's vocals. Without the filler and repeat of lyrics clearly added later on, there is little here that resembles any song, let alone a song by Michael Jackson.

While we are individually the deciders of what was worthy of release, I would have left this one in the vaults for a release of odds and ends in 40 years. Honestly, I would have preferred the album have nine tracks and just left this off. It is a distraction at best and may in the end destroy the chances of success for the entire album. Threadbare and without personality, we will never know what Mike would have created from this demo. Certainly it was not that with which we ended up. The song lacks the "Mike Jack" sound that made me fall in love with him and his music. I can say with certainty that never, never, never, ever, in a million years, would Mike allow the vocals as they are in this song to be released in any fashion. He would be embarrassed. F*&^ing with this demo as much as it has been is a great insult upon Mr. Jackson's high level of quality production and clarity in message and sound.

If Sony really had intentions of maliciously creating an album that was a complete fabrication in Michael Jackson's name, I can guarantee you it would sound better than the songs I've discussed. Had they hired a truly talented impersonator, manipulation of that person's vocals, in an effort to replicate Mike's vocals would have been a thousand times easier than what has been done with Breaking News. It would have been quite easy to layer vocals, as Mike did, in order to falsify their sound.

- HOLD YOUR HEAD UP -

Hold Your Head Up, too, is clearly a demo track but lacks far less in quality and listen-ability than Breaking News. The vocals and song structure were clearly far more actualized by Mike before it was provided to Sony. The sound is unquestionably that of Mike's, as are the lyrics. On one hand it can be argued that the lyrics as they stand are not those one would normally hear on a Michael Jackson record. After all, their message isn't entirely clear, the lyrics of each verse don't read all that well as laid out and in combination with one another, and they certainly do not read as clearly we've come to expect from an inspirational Michael Jackson song. His 'get off your ass and do something' songs are always clear and haven't yet confused anyone as to their message; usually upon first listen. These lyrics aren't cohesive in such a manner but are no less those written by Mike. One need only listen to previously released demos on The Ultimate Collection (and other sources), to understand that Mike's lyrics develop over time and change quite a bit from conception to completion. The melody does not, but the lyrics do. Some of the demos Mike released contain odd lyrics that are nothing like their finished versions. There are often long sections with nothing more than 'da da da' and the likes to indicate where the lyrics will eventually land within the melody. Similarly, a few of the demos that have been released contain nearly fully realized songs but have a bridge that is only hummed, where lyrics have later been added (For All Time). Clearly, in Mike's song development process, lyrics didn't always make a cohesive story or count as much in structuring a song as much as melody. He said as much in the interviews with Oprah and Bashir. Unlike Breaking News, the fundamental concept, structure and essence of Hold Your Head Up were complete prior to their production for this album. The gospel choir heard in Hold Your Head Up is the one clear alteration/addition other than the production of the song. Their appearance assists twofold. First, they serve to make the song highly motivational in message. While Michael sings, "I need your love…I need your love", the choir rejoices while singing, "Gonna shine his light on us today." Perhaps his intention was to sing to God, but to me it seems to be a tool for clarifying the message of the song. As with Breaking News, we'll never be certain of Mike's intentions. Hold Your Head Up is miles beyond Breaking News in staying true to it's original source. Mentally removing the choir and added beats allows one to hear how the demo likely sounded. Like Breaking News, the demo would have been much less involved or interesting to hear. It is filled with emotion though, and there are layers of vocals clearly part of the original demo, indicating a much more complete song. Overall, I think Sony's producers did a decent job with Hold Your Head Up. Yes, I agree, it isn't to Mike's standards by far, but it makes me smile and I think Mike would be happy to know that. . To me they seem a clear attempt to make the lyrics more cohesive as they are. After all, the is nothing in the song that Mike wrote that refers to God, or God taking care of us. I mean, I get it, why they had to do something to make it work well, but it doesn't work that well and Mike would certainly have made major changes to the song before releasing it.

- MONSTER -

Clearly the most actualized song of the three Cascio tracks. If a majority of the work on this song was done after Mike's passing, I'm surprised. The vocals are exceptional yet clearly familiar. The ad-libs are new and appropriate to the song in the MikeJack style I've come to depend on. As with the other Cascio tracks, I have no doubt that the vocals on this song authentically those of Michael Jackson. Gladly, this song partially redeems the other two tracks in its quality and adherence to the Mike Jack sound, concept and production. His voice is heard more on this song than the other two and on this track lie multiple vocal layers and vocal stacks. While clearly still a demo prior to production due to the sound quality of the vocals, little is lost in the interpretation. Perhaps Michael sang more strongly and with more conviction on this track because it was more complete in his head when put on tape. Maybe the song was special for a reason specific to him. It's clear that Mike had a vision for this song; perhaps it descended quickly from the heavens into his head, as he had described the songwriting process. It's very likely that this song has had alterations: added flares, sizzles & pops, moved 'oh's and ah's', repeated 'ha's and the like. There may have been a tempo change, but at its very heart and soul, this is a Michael Jackson track without question. The lyrics are familiar, the theme is classic MJ yet not a carbon copy of an older track. The passion behind the vocals is genuine, and the overall feeling after hearing the song is one of excitement. One imagines the amazing video Mike would have created to compliment this song when listening. It doesn't take much work or imagination to feel Mike in this track. It certainly would have been a huge hit for him; dare I say another #1? Perhaps it still will be, but so much of Mike's success was based on his presence, his magic, his artistry, dance, love and passion. It's clear to me in his voice that Mike knew this was a hit upon inception and I believe this was one of the songs (of the three released most certainly) that he continued to work on and intended for eventual release. Any doubts as to the authenticity of this being a Michael Jackson track I think would disappear upon a couple listens. To me it is so clearly a Mike Jack song that I have trouble understanding any argument otherwise. One could easily create a special edition CD on which this track would fit without flaw. I imagine:

BE SCARED OF MICHAEL (SPECIAL EDITION)

1) Thriller
2) Is It Scary?
3) Monster
4) Ghosts
5) Threatened

I simply LOVE this song! Out of the three it is clearly the winner. While not the strongest of all the tracks, I am happy it is on the CD and sure that Michael would be proud of the end result (though he'd never admit it). Folks, whatever you want to believe for whatever reason, please trust me. This is a Michael Jackson song on which Michael Jackson singing the vocals and the song is written by Michael Jackson. The song to which I refer? Monster.

- CONTROVERSY (Surprised? Why? Mike was the master!) -

Should they have so desired, Sony might have hired an impersonator to sing base vocals that were strong and therefore easy to manipulate to match Mike's real sound. Even without a human to begin the process, Sony could have used old recordings and the latest technology to easily create a song better than Breaking News. As is, the songs basic structure is nearly entirely new and does not in any way resemble what Mike had recorded or was developing. One then may ask, what was he developing? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Quite simply, were Sony to commit outright fraud, the legal punishment, bad press and destroyed reputation would be the same regardless the process. Why then would Sony put any effort into creating a bad song, using an excellent impersonator and the latest technology to ensure a shoddy, poorly received, pre-determined flop like Breaking News? This is the contention and allegation of some fans who claim these songs are complete fabrications and are not demos from Michael Jackson morphed into completed songs. Maybe they make this contention because they don't want to ever hear or see Michael at half best, or even 70% best. Of course Mike would NEVER have let these pieces of ideas of songs into Sony's hands, but he is not here with us anymore and we all have to live in reality. So, if one desires anything 'new' that is Michael Jackson's, one need accept this fact and realize beggars can't be choosers. If one desires to live in a world with only those songs created by and completed by Michael, their only option is to pull out and play one of his many fantastic, brilliant songs completed in his lifetime. In this regard, for many of us, it is exciting to have an album that gives us a glimpse into what might have been, even if it isn't right on the mark. We know the past is gone and cannot be redone, but we look forward with hope while appreciating the past.

- SONY AND THE FUTURE (Reality check) -

This is a company based on greed doing whatever they feel necessary to make a buck. I believe that in releasing these songs, some barebones with all new production, some updated older songs, and some entirely new material, Sony is testing the reception to different ways of selling Mike's music. Thank goodness that the public didn't come back to them and say, "Wow, this cut and paste bullshit is AWESOME!" I believe they now know how better to package future releases and know better what should be included. Still, don't doubt that you'll see some pathetic attempts by Sony, with little regard to quality or loyalty to Mike, on future releases. It's nearly certain they will do this in fulfilling their need for 10 albums (okay, only 8 now). Unlike Mike, Sony cares ONLY about sales. They DO NOT care if the song goes number one, DO NOT care if world records continue to be broken, and DO NOT care that damage is done to the image of Michael Jackson as long as it doesn't effect sales. At the end of the day, Sony only cares about how much money is on the books at the end of the day. Period. Sony is not a person or group of people, but a corporation that answers to stock holders. Their sole purpose is to make money now and in the future; nothing more and nothing less. Keeping this in mind may help one to accept what we'll see in the future regarding Michael Jackson; not just from Sony either.

Are we really all that shocked by Sony to be honest? Do I need to post the pictures of Mike on the double decker bus in London? Come on peeps.

- BEST OF JOY (Smile, when your heart is aching) -

At the very least, I now know that Michael had joy in his life during his final years with us on earth. In fact, he appears to have had the Best Of Joy. And nothing could make me, as a friend and a fan, feel better. Best of Joy is the song I dare anyone to claim does not derive from the very heart, soul and immense talent of Michael Jackson. Upon the first listen, during the first verse when the melody moves to a minor chord, I found myself with tears in my eyes. Now, having listened to it fifty times, I still tear up upon the chord change. It is a song only Mike could create - beautiful, happy, happy, joyful, yet still a feeling of desire; a sadness in not being able to have the whole world feel so much wonder. This was Mike to me: caring, loving, open, generous, free, full of hope; also, sad, lonely and longing for more. At his essence Michael to me is the most human of any beings. Only Michael Jackson can do this to me…give me hope, make me feel not alone, make me grateful for what I have and who I am and remind me that there are others out there that need love and help. No other person, no form of technology, no movie, tv program or show of any kind, and certainly nothing deceptive will ever touch that part of my soul. In that vein, the album is worth every penny and more just for this providing me The Best Of Joy. Thank you Michael Jackson. You will forever be a part of me.

- WHO'S RIGHT, WHO'S WRONG? (Come together) -

I can't understand the need some have to go on the attack 'on behalf of Michael's legacy'. This idea need be put this in perspective. First, not a single one of us is powerful enough to change the world's perception of anyone or anything. Second, even as a group we can't change perception. We've tried in the past and it's only backfired. We were never seen as Michael's army of angels to anyone but Michael. The rest of the world viewed us and even referred to us as 'those crazed lunatic brainwashed followers of Michael Jackson'. Finally, we need to know that there is nothing, not anything and not anyone, that can bring down the legacy of Michael Jackson. We are not able to create Michael Jackson's HIStory. HIStory is done, as painful as that is to say and know.

Michael Jackson is cemented forever as a visionary, a humanitarian with capacity for giving beyond normal comprehension, an icon of hope, love and compassion, a human being with enough talent to entertain the whole world, a man who was greatly misunderstood and wrongly persecuted, an American who lived an unimaginable life born into a world of segregation only to end up the most famous person…in the world! No haters or fans can elevate or destroy him now. He is immortal and in many ways he now is invincible. We, his fans, were here for him during his life and he was keenly aware of this fact. It made him so very happy and provided him hope when he had trouble finding a reason to go on.

I truly believe that Mike wouldn't want us to spend our time arguing. He would say, now is the time to create OUR history.

Love you Mike. Thank you for saving my life.

I love you for this, I'm glad there's people on here who actually spent a bit of time with Michael and can offer their own input on this situation. Excellent post, my friend. :clapping:

Last edited:
This isn't the right battle to pick? I believe it is, Sony is profiting off of their son's, brother, and uncle's name, even though it's not him on the records. Surely this is one of the things they should fight, because if they don't whose to say how long this will go on? If they can get away with it this time, how are we so sure that won't try it again? Nip it in the bud, that's how I feel regarding the situation. Not saying the Jackson's are right or wrong, but picking battles shouldn't be used as an excuse as to why they haven't done anything legal about it yet.

Look at all the illegal Michael merchandise that was being sold, and the threads that created here about it, people were begging The Estate to sue these people in order to get them to stop illegally profiting off of Michael's name. Now we're just supposed to sit back, and say "alright, Katherine, Taryll, and Joe, it's okay, we understand, you'll get them next time"?

I respectfully disagree with that part of your post.

I love you for this, I'm glad there's people on here who actually spent a bit of time with Michael and can offer their own input on this situation. Excellent post, my friend. :clapping:

no Annie RU OK. you missed my point. my point is, that if we're going to have them sue the accumulative of all the things that ever happened to them, they'll be doing it for the rest of their lives. people who don't want to get this point won't get it..i'm not gunna try to argue it..

too many sharks. too many. here you are agreeing with the person who said that nobody can destroy his legacy, yet you don't agree with what i said?

I can def hear Michael on 'Monster' and 'Keep Your Head Up' and believes it is him on the lead vocals.

My issue is 'Breaking News' - The first time I heard it I thought it was a joke. I couldnt hear him at all. I dont know why. Although I love the beat and finds it very catchy, I skip the song when the album is on playin. Maybe I havnt given the song a chance yet? Dont know. This is the song where I can least hear him. I cant hear him they way Im used to but that doest mean it is not him either. I have a very very hard time picturing the Cascios fool everyone for their own gain. Im just a bit confused with this track so Im being openminded about the track.

So in other words, its ONLY 'Breaking News' that I have a bit "issues" with. There are parts when the background vocals of James is too much or I dont know what the heck is going on.

I belive it is Michael on majority of the vocals on the rest of the album and I WILL support this album, heck I even bought the album and I wanna see him top the charts.

I agree with this post ^^^ and BN sounds so fake because it is so incomplete and has James Porte vocals washing all over it, the only reason why people bash ALL Cascio tracks is because of circle conclusion and pre-conceived notions, the circle conclusion being if one Cascio track is fake then the rest must be and the pre-conceived notion of the Cascio tracks being fake were from the family SAYING it was fake. People then armed with the 40% MJ vocals from BN then began to over analyse all three songs, and coming to an incorrect conclusion.
As soon as non-believers come to the realisation that they are over analysing (by comparing writing styles and vibratos) as opposed to accents and general logic, then we can stop this ridiculous split of the community.

For those who wonder, i was one of the people who believed BN and the Cascio tracks were fake, but i realised i was over analysing everything and i used logic and common sense to reason that it MUST be Michael on the tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back