The History World Tour - Thriller Magic Trick!

Pentum

Dark Lady H2O
Hey guys!

Everytime I see this, I focuse so much to try and find out how its done. I thought about maybe the channel cut it when he ran, but some concerts, they film the trick without changing angle!

Anyone really know how its done? I really want to know! Michael is a genius (ofc) for adding this trick to thriller.

Anyone? :D

Haha. So they would kill a guy each concert ^^?

But serously! Someone must know.

I think that the biggest give away there is that Michael wears a t.shirt and the other guy wears a long sleeved shirt

and yeah Michael would sacrifice a different person every night

The most relevant performance is the one from Bucharest,where his Thriller jacket is torn.The guy with the mask has a different jacket. :)

Edit: I just noticed I'm a Legacy Member! Yey! :lol: Thank you Gaz and MJJC! Truly is an honor! :yes:

Basically, Michael is lowered down the stage and his head stays above the stage.

Then another guy who is already under the stage puts his left hand on the edge of the stage next to Michaels head. So it looks like Michaels hand.

Then Michael lowers his head underneath the stage but the hand stays there. Then the other guy pops up with the mask on and goes out and dances.

The illusion is that it looks like Michael couldnt swap places because his hand never goes underneath the stage. However, it was never his hand in the first place.

Hope that explains :)

If I remember correctly, in one concert the dude with the mask kicked it with the left leg, making Michael look bad and shit - bet he got his ass kicked after the concert :D
But other than that he has pretty outstanding moves - that hoover movement he does it pretty fantastic. In Gothenburg 97 he does another weird move, looks as he's floating towards the audience - 5:07 into the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMA3lZHW_c

A bigger question would be how they make that last bit with the spikes into the raised "coffin"?!
I'm thinking it might be an optical illusion where just as they've closed the coffin together, the dude escapes in a trap door to the left from the coffin?!
Does anyone know for sure how it's done?

I think it would of been wise of them to not let the other guy move to much.

Michael had done most of the show up to Thriller and had slown down a lot. Then suddenly some hyper guy comes out jumping round the stage as if Michael had just had a red bull under the stage.

It would have looked much better if the other guy had come out in the mask and did a bit of foot stomping and that was it.

^ Your description made me laugh! :lol: But you are right! Sometimes the guy is too happy to be on stage...it's like "Yeah,baby!It's my time to shine now!Forget Michael,I'm the king now!" :lol:

Michael had done most of the show up to Thriller and had slown down a lot. Then suddenly some hyper guy comes out jumping round the stage as if Michael had just had a red bull under the stage.

It would have looked much better if the other guy had come out in the mask and did a bit of foot stomping and that was it.

Haha, I swear if I was the dude in the mask I'd be hyped up too.
I'd even take advantage of the situation by stopping the music, point at a girl in the audience and be like: "Is OK if I come down there?!" :D

Damn, I'm curious who that dude is.

^ Your description made me laugh! :lol: But you are right! Sometimes the guy is too happy to be on stage...it's like "Yeah,baby!It's my time to shine now!Forget Michael,I'm the king now!" :lol:

Haha yeah exactly. Im suprised nobody had told him to calm it down a bit.

Here is the footage from Bucharest.It really does speak for itself! :)

ok guys..I know this is off topic..but..My God,,did you see how beautiful Michael looked in that video....:wink:......ok...back on topic.....

Ive allways thought that HIStory Tour Bucharest was his best concert in terms of dancing. Its just perfect. Its a pity about the terrible editing.

Haha yeah exactly. Im suprised nobody had told him to calm it down a bit.
Maybe they did...but guess that didn't matter to him when he got up there and saw the audience freaking out - 'my time to shiiiiiiiine'....couldn't blame him. Who wouldn't act like that....being Michael f*cking Jackson for a couple of minutes, yiiihaa. :lol:

And yeah, I'm so curious of who it was...hmmm.

That's exactly it....! Michael wasn't as energetic as the other guy..I find a lot of Michael impersonators overdo it all the time

That's exactly it....! Michael wasn't as energetic as the other guy..I find a lot of Michael impersonators overdo it all the time

Yeah they really do. Some really need to calm down.

This guy had some moves down quite well though I think. He was just a bit too over the top :\

A bigger question would be how they make that last bit with the spikes into the raised "coffin"?!
I'm thinking it might be an optical illusion where just as they've closed the coffin together, the dude escapes in a trap door to the left from the coffin?!
Does anyone know for sure how it's done?

I remember reading years ago that the dude goes/slides underneath the coffin. It's an optical illusion and the bottom is in fact deeper than what you see.
I have watched different Thriller performances from the tour and there's no way he can jump off or leave the coffin before the burning.. He has to go underneath, it's the only solution that sounds rational and could actually be done.

Take a look at the video MJdude posted on page 1 and fast-forward to 5:00 mins. If you look very carefully you can see a small piece of paper being ripped in front of the zombie (the 3rd square from down on left side). The dude is obviously moving and already getting ready to disappear. You can see black colour from the hole, which obviously is his pants and suddenly the black disappears and you can see a very light shadow going downwards.

I remember reading years ago that the dude goes/slides underneath the coffin. It's an optical illusion and the bottom is in fact deeper than what you see.
I have watched different Thriller performances from the tour and there's no way he can jump off or leave the coffin before the burning.. He has to go underneath, it's the only solution that sounds rational and could actually be done.

Take a look at the video MJdude posted on page 1 and fast-forward to 5:00 mins. If you look very carefully you can see a small piece of paper being ripped in front of the zombie (the 3rd square from down on left side). The dude is obviously moving and already getting ready to disappear. You can see black colour from the hole, which obviously is his pants and suddenly the black disappears and you can see a very light shadow going downwards.

Wow that's a very good observation!
I think you're right, he must slide under or something.
It's like that "cut woman in half" trick, it's also some kind of optical illusion.

Now, the last question is how to they make that Working Day And Night trick?!
Obviously towards the end it isn't Michael's head that is holding up the cover - but what is it?! :D

It's like that "cut woman in half" trick, it's also some kind of optical illusion.

My uncle used to work in a circus. Well he actually was the founder of that circus and I've seen like dozen times how the 'cut woman in half' is done and it is so piece of cake :D

Now, the last question is how to they make that Working Day And Night trick?!
Obviously towards the end it isn't Michael's head that is holding up the cover - but what is it?! :D

This is just a guess, but I think there's a some kind of hatch, which using Michael disappears under the stage. The head at the end could be just a stick and something size of his head attached to the cover and they're also black so you can't recognise them from the cover's colour when the cover's being pulled off.

For this trick it's the same as the one Britney used in her Circus tour. I'm just using her as an example because the video of hers is much closer.

The power of mirror illusion beneath something that looks empty. See the coffin in Thriller. Its up on a high platform that stands on four legs right? WRONG :p! It's mirrored and moved on perfect sync with lighting and Michaels double, and he can drop out beneath the coffin and get through a trap door without being seen, making it look impossible because it seems as though beneath the coffin is visible to the audience.

I don't get that Britney one. I know she's there although it looks like she is not and you can see through the whole box. Where's the mirror Britney is hiding behind? Or how it goes?

Yeah they really do. Some really need to calm down.

This guy had some moves down quite well though I think. He was just a bit too over the top :\

There are a lot of great impersonators out there who are fantastic dancers, but it's not that godlike quality that Michael has when he dances...:cheeky:

...and yeah Michael would sacrifice a different person every night

thlol.gif
thlol.gif
thlol.gif
thlol.gif

Back