The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Nite Line

Proud Member
Number Ones finishes as the #29th best performing album on the year end UK album charts for 2021.

It finished #39 in 2020, #56 in 2019, #63 in 2018, #70 in 2017, #97 in 2016.

So in the last six years, it has performed better than the previous year, which is wonderful.

Nite Line

Proud Member
Thriller was always since February 1984 the best selling album in the U.S.
The eagles fake was just a cheat. When asked they dont know where the sales coming from. Noone knows. They tried to cheat in the 90s, now again. no chance. Thriller was and is all the time Number 1!
Of course, we all know that the Eagle's certification were fake. I just hope that one day that Thriller officially becomes the best selling album in the US again.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
The problem with greatest hits albums is that the regular music buyer thinks all he needs of one artist is a greatest hits record, this eventually narrows down the brilliance of an album as all other releases will become redundant. I say it is about time the Estate did something with other music that deserves re evaluation. But sure the album doing well is good news I guess.

Nite Line

Proud Member
The problem with greatest hits albums is that the regular music buyer thinks all he needs of one artist is a greatest hits record, this eventually narrows down the brilliance of an album as all other releases will become redundant. I say it is about time the Estate did something with other music that deserves re evaluation. But sure the album doing well is good news I guess.
Greatest hits are a great way to get the attention of non fans and casual fans. Lets be honest, only hardcore fans truly care about an artist’s entire catalogue. And hardcore fans are very few in number, compared to casual and non fans.

travis3000

Proud Member
Some YOUTUBE stats for you guys. Ever since Leaving Neverland I started personally tracking the # of views MJ's videos have received.

Stranger In Moscow= 64 million (+23)
In The Closet= 65 million (+38)
Leave Me Alone= 72 million (+27)
Blood On The Dance Floor= 72 million (+19)
Jam= 77 million (+26)
Who Is It= 85 million (+51)
Speed Demon= 86 million (+42)
Slave To The Rhythm= 87 million (+23)
Ghosts= 95 million (+33)
Hold My Hand= 115 million (+21)
Give Into Me= 130 million (+53)
Man In The Mirror= 132 million (+35)
Scream= 136 million (+46)
Dirty Diana= 153 million (+83)
Heal The World= 196 million (+68)
Rock With You= 271 million (+107)
You Are Not Alone= 293 million (+130)
You Rock My World= 301 million (+108)
Don’t Stop Til Ya Get Enough= 320 million (+121)
Earth Song= 340 million (+141)
Love Never Felt So Good= 347 million (+96)
The Way You Make Me Feel= 410 million (+113)
Black Or White= 411 million (+131)
Remember The Time= 457 million (+164)
Bad= 471 million (+187)
Smooth Criminal= 760 million (+493)
Beat It= 802 million (+331)
They Don’t Care About Us= 966 million (+358)
Thriller= 979 million (+337)
Billie Jean= 1.14 Billion (+510)

I use ONLY videos on Michael Jackson's official page and if there's two official ones I combine the #'s. Some wild numbers... Billie Jean has been viewed over 500 MILLION times since the premiere of LN, followed by Smooth Criminal at 493 million additional views. They Don't Care About Us is at #3 with 358 million new views.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Some extra help for Travis3000’s fantastic work. Here are the top 10 videos ranked

1 Billie jean 510m
2 smooth criminal 493
3 they don‘t care about us 358
4 thriller 337
5 beat it 331
6 bad 187
7 remember the time 164
8 earth song 141
9 black or white 131
10 you are not alone 130

So firstly since LN aired his videos are still hot on YouTube and secondly I am astounded and happy to see TDCA being that big. Secondly who would have thought back in 1995 that this song would become one of the all time most popular.
Thirdly a big surprise to me is also to see YANA crack the top 10 and last but not least I am genuinely surprised to see thriller at “only“ nr 4

Where is come together?

travis3000

Proud Member
5 of the top 6 most viewed MJ music videos were songs written and composed solely by Michael Jackson
-Billie Jean
-TDCAU
-Beat It
-Smooth Criminal
-Bad

The odd one out being Thriller. TDCAU has exploded due to the theme being very relatable in a world of Black Lives Matter, protests, political turmoil, pandemics, wars, etc. MJ had a genius way of writing music that can be relatable at all times to all people. It was his way of becoming immortal (his words, not mine).

Come Together sadly I forgot to track. But it has 27 million views officially.

Nite Line

Proud Member
Fantastic work @travis3000.

Looking at the numbers, They Don't Care About Us (Brazil) currently stands at 893m, Thriller at 822m and Beat It at 802m. One of these will Michael's next video to hit 1 billion views. The question is which one will get there first? I say Beat It, because even though it is behind both They Don't Care About Us and Thriller in overall views, it accumulated way more views in the last year than the other two.

travis3000

Proud Member
Fantastic work @travis3000.

Looking at the numbers, They Don't Care About Us (Brazil) currently stands at 893m, Thriller at 822m and Beat It at 802m. One of these will Michael's next video to hit 1 billion views. The question is which one will get there first? I say Beat It, because even though it is behind both They Don't Care About Us and Thriller in overall views, it accumulated way more views in the last year than the other two.

Will certainly be interesting... since LN premiered TDCAU has been viewed more than Beat It, but if you just use the last 12 months I believe Beat It is ahead. Could be a close call. But it does seem certain that in the next 12-24 months MJ will have 3 more videos joining the 1 billion club.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Michael's 5 most popular non singles on Spotify

working day and night 39m+
Dangerous 37m+
the lady in my life 37m+
baby be mine 36m+
I can't help it 31m+

Not sure what point I'm trying to make with this post but it was an interesting tidbit for me. 4 of them come from his 2 highest acclaimed albums and Dangerous was a big live staple (just like working day and night). So live performances can definitely make a song more popular, sadly Michael rarely performed non singles in concerts.

Most of the other non singles score well below 10m, actually these 5 perform better or on par with many of his later era (90s) singles like will you be there or stranger in Moscow

Nite Line

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Number Ones has sold 2,984,400 copies in the UK. It needs to sell another 15,600 copies to reach 3m total sales and be certified 10X platinum in the UK. Given that it sells 2,500 copies a week on average, it will probably reach that milestone in the next 6-7 weeks.

Number Ones is Michael's third most successful album in the UK after Thriller and Bad. In the next 10 years, it will probably become his most successful album here in the UK.

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Number Ones has sold 2,984,400 copies in the UK. It needs to sell another 15,600 copies to reach 3m total sales and be certified 10X platinum in the UK. Given that it sells 2,500 copies a week on average, it will probably reach that milestone in the next 6-7 weeks.

Number Ones is Michael's third most successful album in the UK after Thriller and Bad. In the next 10 years, it will probably become his most successful album here in the UK.
Usually I'm not bothered about sales figures and that type of stuff but this has got me so stoked. Maybe cos it's UK stats. Between 2009 and last year I bought 6 copies of the CD (don't ask :ROFLMAO: ) so I won't be able to help with this but I would absolutely love it to get a 10x platinum UK certification. I didn't buy Michael's albums until after he died and the 2 that were on heavy rotation were Invincible and Number Ones.

This is so cool.

staywild23

Proud Member
Apparently it is popular on TikTok right now? Saw some people on Twitter saying it’s in the top 50 on the Apple Music charts, so I signed up for a free trial just to verify haha

Noticed this also…

Pretty amazing considering everyone else on the chart surrounding him are contemporary artists. I went to YouTube to see what people were saying in the comments on Heaven Can Wait and there are a lot of new fans, but also a lot of people who seem angry or offended that the song is popular on TikTok. Which honestly I don’t get because isn’t it just a great thing that Michael’s music is still so beloved and he’s finding new fans all the time?