The Michael Jackson Movie

I think though, that if the project were in the hands of a director that actually KNEW MJ and WORKED with him (Spike Lee, Steven Spilberg, Martin Scorsesse) the portrayal would be fair and acurate. I agree that an unknown would have to play him, although Johnny would be cool...and he seems like he would be respectful of MJ.

I would just love to see a fair, balanced, and acurate depiction of MJ's life on the Big Screen that stayed far away from tabloid nonsense. With a director, actor(s), and script that treated their subject with the utmost respect and actually talked with the family to really get an idea of MJ's true essence. I think It could be done.
Yeah, well this would be the best case but probably too good to be true, unfortunately.

But I agree that Johnny could make a good MJ.

No offense, but MJ was an African-American man and should be portrayed by African-American actors. Just as they did with the movie "The Jacksons: An American Dream", they had black actors of all different shades who portrayed the Jackson family. I like Johnny Depp and prefer him in other outlets. However, he is not black nor is he a musician.

I'm honestly not sure if this'll ever happen, but anything's possible. I personally believe Ecasanova would be perfect for the role as Michael.

Bet you several MJ projects for tv and the big screen are in developement right now. Hollywood is all about making tons of money.They saw the unprecedented global reaction to MJ's death,the sucess of THIS IS IT, and the outrageous purchasing of anything MJ. How many movies have been made about ELVIS PRESSLEY? Too many to mention.! And ELVIS wasn't as talented or fascinating as MJ. Brace yourself.!The MJ movies are definitely coming.

On paper, it's a nice idea. Celebrate the man who achieved never before seen fame and success through the 80's and early 90's and who's outlook on life was so intriguing...

How would you justify Johnny Depp playing Michael, a black man? How to you accommodate Michael's change in appearance? How do you address the trials, and for how much of the film? How to you address the 1993 allegations, the constant rumors, the lifestyle? On top of all that, the music and art Michael produced...

It all seems very messy. I don't think Hollywood could make a film like this. It would be too controversial and extremely difficult to achieve favor of us the Michael Jackson fans or the blood-thirsty tabloids. T.V. specials will no doubt be something produced on a near annual basis, but they will be low budget, 60-90 minute features focusing on a particular aspect of Michael, not everything...

Elvis is totally different. As an actor and with his much more easily fabricated image, specials came and went with ease and surprisingly poor ratings. Elvis never had what Michael had while still alive. It's different in this situation, not to mention, good flipping luck trying to find an actor that can move the way Michael did. A hack on stage attempting the moonwalk is something I would sadly expect from Hollywood...

However, he is not black nor is he a musician.

a little correction Johnny Depp is a musician - he plays guitar,he dropped out of high school to become a musician, had several bands the last one being P.

In my opinion it all depends on what they would do. If they plan to do a movie telling about MJ's musical history then they should use an impersonator but if they would do a movie that focuses on telling the unknown and personal side of MJ (and not so much about the dance and music) I believe Johnny Depp (regardless of his race) is a better choice. He is very successful in portraying eccentric characters without making them look weird.

I would rather see an actor who could do justice to the portrayal (even though he is not from the same race or does not have the same dance and singing talent or does not look exactly like MJ) than to see a person that looks similar but cannot act and makes character look like weird or crazy. (for example :man in the mirror movie - that portrayal was plain creepy).

Last edited:
I hope this never happens.............

It will start positive, showing Jackson 5 and then Thriller..........

But as soon his skin colour changes......it'll become a sort of Macbeth tragedy......

And most of the film will probably be about the 1993 and 2005 charges..........

And the chances are that it will be 0% factual and 100% fantasy!!!!!!!

Well that's what can't happen. This needs to be done with the cooperation of Katherine, Joe, the brothers, MJ's lawyers, Lisa-Marie and all the other people close to him to keep it 100% factual.

I doubt they would be able to cover his entire life in detail with just one movie. I'd rather see a serious HBO series based on his life... rated R and everything. The true story.

Well I think that It should be done with factual accuracy. People do use stunt doubles so the actor themselves don't have too dance like Mike. I would love for it to cover some things and If someone pulls it right. It could be a great Movie, but if it goes wrong then it would look like that crappy man in the mirror movie.

I wonder how they are gonna handle his death. Are they gonna show it on screen or have the Doctor run downstairs saying that Mike's not breathing or have him die off screen. I really don't like thinking about that. :cry:

I think that It should cover all the eras (Yeah that Is what the American Dream movie did but Part 2 seems rushed to me.) I would like to see somebody pull it off.

No offense, but MJ was an African-American man and should be portrayed by African-American actors. Just as they did with the movie "The Jacksons: An American Dream", they had black actors of all different shades who portrayed the Jackson family. I like Johnny Depp and prefer him in other outlets. However, he is not black nor is he a musician.

yes I agree

I agree

Michael was a black man, so he should be potrayed as a black man.

I love Johnny Depp but..just no.

I also agree that THEY SHOULD NOT ALLOW A MOVIE!
All they are gonna do is tell lies, blow things out of proportion and have people in an uproaor.

On paper, it's a nice idea. Celebrate the man who achieved never before seen fame and success through the 80's and early 90's and who's outlook on life was so intriguing...

How would you justify Johnny Depp playing Michael, a black man? How to you accommodate Michael's change in appearance? How do you address the trials, and for how much of the film? How to you address the 1993 allegations, the constant rumors, the lifestyle? On top of all that, the music and art Michael produced...

It all seems very messy. I don't think Hollywood could make a film like this. It would be too controversial and extremely difficult to achieve favor of us the Michael Jackson fans or the blood-thirsty tabloids. T.V. specials will no doubt be something produced on a near annual basis, but they will be low budget, 60-90 minute features focusing on a particular aspect of Michael, not everything...

Elvis is totally different. As an actor and with his much more easily fabricated image, specials came and went with ease and surprisingly poor ratings. Elvis never had what Michael had while still alive. It's different in this situation, not to mention, good flipping luck trying to find an actor that can move the way Michael did. A hack on stage attempting the moonwalk is something I would sadly expect from Hollywood...
Not in favor of Johnny Depp as Michael. Said previously that an unknown actor would protray Michael. I am not looking forward to an MJ movie either. The hardest part is finding the actor to play Michael. It can be done. Jamie fox as Ray Charles and Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash proves it's more than possible.Joaquin Phoenix performance blew me away. He was so believable as Cash,i ran out and brought the CD. Great movie WALK THE LINE with Reese Witherspoon in her Academy Award winning performance as June Carter Cash.Joaquin was robbed.He should have won an Oscar too.Any MJ movie has to cover his entire life warts and all. We just want a fair and balance protrayal.

It would have to be a trilogy of some kind because Michaels life had so much going on you cannot possibly contain it into one film. I think having multiple actors portray him is dumb. Ecasanova was very good at portraying each era through the use of make-up. I'm sure hollywood can do it too.

And with the way CGI is now i'm sure thats another option.

Make-up is a great invention.

I'm sorry but Michael was a historical figure
that's like having a black man play Abraham Lincoln

and I don't even think Johnny (as much as I love him) could play a good Michael, no one can which is why they should not make a movie. EVER!

Even if they did they'd have to nail it with the casting just like they did with Selena and Ray Charles.

Johnny Depp would do excellent playing Michael! He definitely has the talent, sensitivity, and expertise to create MJ's personality. Makeup would be used. It'd be a fantastic movie if they would show the truth.

Johnny Depp would do excellent playing Michael! He definitely has the talent, sensitivity, and expertise to create MJ's personality. Makeup would be used. It'd be a fantastic movie if they would show the truth.

A white man playing a black man. Yeah, that will go over well. :smilerolleyes:

Sorry, Michael is the darling of the black committee and having a white person play him would be a giant slap in the face. It would be just like that movie Tropic Thunder. It does not matter how good the actor is, you cannot get away with other people playing another race and expect everyone to be okay with it. It would be like a Japanese playing a Chinese emperor, it will not end well.

For the makeup comment, does the term 'black face' rings any bells. I think some of the comments here shows a great deal of ignorance of racial history and relations.

If there is any movie base on Michael's life, it will be played by a black man. There is no ifs or buts about it. As for the who, the choice may be surprising. If you told me a couple of years ago that Jamie Foxx could play a great Ray Charles, I would not believe you.

Although, a truthful movie on Michael may be impossible. Unlike Selena or Ray, Michael kept alot about his life a secret. From what I have seen, his own family didn't seem to really know him. They obviously do not know everything about Michael and they seem to believe certain rumors about him. Everything up to Thriller is easy to follow, after that things get twisted and lost in translation. Since Michael is no longer alive, like Ray was when he movie was being made, there is noway to confirm whether a story is true or not.

Last edited:
A white man playing a black man. Yeah, that will go over well. :smilerolleyes:

Sorry, Michael is the darling of the black committee and having a white person play him would be a giant slap in the face. It would be just like that movie Tropic Thunder. It does not matter how good the actor is, you cannot get away with other people playing another race and expect everyone to be okay with it. It would be like a Japanese playing a Chinese emperor, it will not end well.

For the makeup comment, does the term 'black face' rings any bells. I think some of the comments here shows a great deal of ignorance of racial history and relations.

If there is any movie base on Michael's life, it will be played by a black man. There is no ifs or buts about it. As for the who, the chose may be surprising. If you told me a couple of years ago that Jamie Foxx could play a great Ray Charles, I would not believe you.

Although, a truthful movie on Michael may be impossible. Unlike Selena or Ray, Michael kept alot about his life a secret. From what I have seen, his own family didn't seem to really know him. They obviously do not know everything about Michael and they seem to believe certain rumors about him. Everything up to Thriller is easy to follow, after that things get twisted and lost in translation. Since Michael is no longer alive, like Ray was when he movie was being made, there is noway to confirm whether a story is true or not.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Well put

I totally forgot to mention the "black face" situation

I don't want a movie because like you said they are going to try and twist things. Just like that "Man In The Mirror" film I was so angry when they had him being shy about having sex...I think I changed the channel after I saw that scene and walked out of my living room because I couldnt take it anymore. At first I was laughing so hard at it because it was so bad, I love Flex Alexander and I know he adores MJ but omg that movie was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E!!!

Does anyone know if MJ approved of that movie???

I hope no one thinks I sound like a rabid fangirl, but I don't want any opportunities to slander Michael, especially since he can't even defend himself.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Well put

I totally forgot to mention the "black face" situation

I don't want a movie because like you said they are going to try and twist things. Just like that "Man In The Mirror" film I was so angry when they had him being shy about having sex...I think I changed the channel after I saw that scene and walked out of my living room because I couldnt take it anymore. At first I was laughing so hard at it because it was so bad, I love Flex Alexander and I know he adores MJ but omg that movie was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E!!!

Does anyone know if MJ approved of that movie???

I hope no one thinks I sound like a rabid fangirl, but I don't want any opportunities to slander Michael, especially since he can't even defend himself.

I didn't mean that they would purposely slander Michael. I meant that they are certain things that we will never know about him. Even if they asked everyone who was around him like friends, family, and workers that still would not tell the entire story.

We have family members like Toy telling stories about drug abuse and people controlling him and that turned out to be a pack of lies. We have people like Bob Jones who is willing to sell out someone he knew since they were a child for money and you would think someone like him would know Michael better than anyone.

Michael kept much of his life a secret and there is noway to confirm anymore if a story is true or not since Michael is dead. Even if they try to make correct movie on Michael, it still would not be correct. The trails can be showed in full since it is well documented and even the 93 stuff, but his mentality and what went on behind the scenes will be twisted by twenty different stories. That is how human nature is. Even some of the stuff in Ray and Selene's movies were twisted around.

I have no doubt a movie base on Michael will eventually happen. He was too great not to. However, how truthful it is will be up to debate. Even if it is to the fans liking, it still may not be true. Fans, like everyone else, have a certain idea how Michael was, so we are bias as well.

So, a truthful movie about Michael is nearly impossible and most likely wishful thinking.

FYI: No, Michael did not approve that movie. Which is why they couldn't use any of his music. The movie was also a halfass attempt of a movie, so you get you got from it.

I didn't mean that they would purposely slander Michael. I meant that they are certain things that we will never know about him. Even if they asked everyone who was around him like friends, family, and workers that still would not tell the entire story.

We have family members like Toy telling stories about drug abuse and people controlling him and that turned out to be a pack of lies. We have people like Bob Jones who is willing to sell out someone he knew since they were a child for money and you would think someone like him would know Michael better than anyone.

Michael kept much of his life a secret and there is noway to confirm anymore if a story is true or not since Michael is dead. Even if they try to make correct movie on Michael, it still would not be correct. The trails can be showed in full since it is well documented and even the 93 stuff, but his mentality and what went on behind the scenes will be twisted by twenty different stories. That is how human nature is. Even some of the stuff in Ray and Selene's movies were twisted around.

I have no doubt a movie base on Michael will eventually happen. He was too great not to. However, how truthful it is will be up to debate. Even if it is to the fans liking, it still may not be true. Fans, like everyone else, have a certain idea how Michael was, so we are bias as well.

So, a truthful movie about Michael is nearly impossible and most likely wishful thinking.

FYI: No, Michael did not approve that movie. Which is why they couldn't use any of his music. The movie was also a halfass attempt of a movie, so you get you got from it.

That's what I mean

I'm afraid of that happening, I know a movie is gonna come
they came when he was alive so you know they are gonna come when he's no longer here.

I know in Selena and Ray's movies they did twist things, they even did it in "Notorious", I just can't help but to think he is going to get slandered because sadly some people are still convinced he was some over 9000 lunatic freak and that's what people will probably be expecting.

I'm sorry about my rambling:(

and thanks for the info, VH1 should be ashamed
(I'm sorry I'm still angry about that movie)

That's what I mean

I'm afraid of that happening, I know a movie is gonna come
they came when he was alive so you know they are gonna come when he's no longer here.

I know in Selena and Ray's movies they did twist things, they even did it in "Notorious", I just can't help but to think he is going to get slandered because sadly some people are still convinced he was some over 9000 lunatic freak and that's what people will probably be expecting.

I'm sorry about my rambling:(

and thanks for the info, VH1 should be ashamed
(I'm sorry I'm still angry about that movie)

Np, and I do understand where you are coming.

Also, only one movie was actually made about Michael. Alot of docs had been made, both good and bad, but Man in the Mirror is the only movie that was actually made about him. Even the American Dream was a miniseries. So, despite how big he was, there has been no feature length film about Michael. I guess you could count TII, but that is more of a doc.

Although, a feature film cannot be too slandered since they need permission from his estate to use his music. I Michael Jackson's movie without music would be a big sign of trouble for any studio. Also, I do not think it would be good for them since TII was highly successful and it was very positive. Even though some people kept talking about body doubles and about Michael being over the hill.

But, we will have to wait and see. Btw, you got further in Man in the Mirror than me. I stopped watching after the camping incident. Not to mention that Michael appear to boarder on being a retard throughout the movie.

oh goodness.
I can't see anyone playing Michael without it ending up looking like a horrible parody.
Also, the writer would have to be a friend, and not from the tabloid point of view. The storyline could go wrong in SO many ways if the right person doesn't write it

So I think most of us saw Avatar.

And you know what I'm thinking before I even say it lol...

Considering how powerful CGI technology is right now, I think a movie with a completely CG Michael Jackson might be the only way to go, at least for post Jackson 5 days. Let's face it, Mike was one of a kind. We've seen Hollywood try to pick actors for MJ during his Thriller days, and it's just not possible. Let alone his Bad days and later (Man in the Mirror...*shivers*).

Of course, actors would be involved in the production. Check out this behind the scenes video of Avatar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_vB7zx_SQ

It would be something like that. I can't see ANYTHING wrong with this (as long as the CGI is well done). At the same time, it completely gets rid of problems like:

1) A black actor should play MJ.
2) No one would get plastic surgery for the job, and therefore no actor could look just like MJ (the CGI would be 100% accurate for all of MJ's various looks)
3) Even if they find good actors, there's no way they could dance like MJ! (using the motion capture technology in the video above, a professional dancer could don the suit and perform the dance moves nearly perfectly).

So, what do you guys think? Is a CGI Michael Jackson the ideal way to go?

So I think most of us saw Avatar.

And you know what I'm thinking before I even say it lol...

Considering how powerful CGI technology is right now, I think a movie with a completely CG Michael Jackson might be the only way to go, at least for post Jackson 5 days. Let's face it, Mike was one of a kind. We've seen Hollywood try to pick actors for MJ during his Thriller days, and it's just not possible. Let alone his Bad days and later (Man in the Mirror...*shivers*).

Of course, actors would be involved in the production. Check out this behind the scenes video of Avatar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_vB7zx_SQ

It would be something like that. I can't see ANYTHING wrong with this (as long as the CGI is well done). At the same time, it completely gets rid of problems like:

1) A black actor should play MJ.
2) No one would get plastic surgery for the job, and therefore no actor could look just like MJ (the CGI would be 100% accurate for all of MJ's various looks)
3) Even if they find good actors, there's no way they could dance like MJ! (using the motion capture technology in the video above, a professional dancer could don the suit and perform the dance moves nearly perfectly).

So, what do you guys think? Is a CGI Michael Jackson the ideal way to go?

i seriously agree with you here...That would be so perfect!:clapping:

I just hope that if a movie is ever produce, Mike's children will be old enough to stop the producers or script writers to 'twist' elements into Michael's private life. I'm sure the kids will fight for their Father's memory.

Thank goodness, Mike owns his catalogue.

Blackface is a totally different issue and I don't know why you're bringing Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder into this. That was NOT a blackface performance, that was prosthetics and a professional makeup in order to portray a black man (or a white man playing a black man or whatever, I don't remember). In any case, the makeup in that movie is supposed to and does look realistic, that is not the purpose of 'blackface' acts, they paint their faces tar black, like coal, and act in ways offensive to black people. The intent is not to look like a black person. It is to demean and belittle them and make them look not like a normal person. I have no interest in going into it here, but maybe you should toodle on over to the wikipedia article if you further info. I know full well the history and meaning behind blackface, so it's you who is mistaken, not anyone else.

Blackface is a totally different issue and I don't know why you're bringing Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder into this. That was NOT a blackface performance, that was prosthetics and a professional makeup in order to portray a black man (or a white man playing a black man or whatever, I don't remember). In any case, the makeup in that movie is supposed to and does look realistic, that is not the purpose of 'blackface' acts, they paint their faces tar black, like coal, and act in ways offensive to black people. The intent is not to look like a black person. It is to demean and belittle them and make them look not like a normal person. I have no interest in going into it here, but maybe you should toodle on over to the wikipedia article if you further info. I know full well the history and meaning behind blackface, so it's you who is mistaken, not anyone else.

Black face will be provoke in any black person's mind if a white actor tries to play a back man. That is how black face stated. I don't care how good the actor is, it will not end well. The intent was not only to demean the black person's appearance, it was also to say "we can play you better than you can play yourselves." Which is why I said that the comment lack cultural and historic understanding.

And yes, it would be like Tropic Thunder. He may be a good actor, but it is careless and insulting for another race to play another race. Try getting a Japanese to play a Chinese emperor in a movie and see how that will go.

As for the CGI comment, might happen in another 20 years. Motion Capture have come along way, but it is not that fair along. You still run the risk of uncanny valley if they try to make a CGI production of actually people. The reason why movies like Disney's Christmas Carol and Avatar managed to avoid it is because of art style. Namely, they went for a particular look that was not meant to be photo realistic. However, they can't really do that with real people, since we all know how people move and how that person's look.

Back