The "Munich 1999" Accident!

Ok. I have no doubt that it was ´a serious mechanical failure´. Of course - very many people watched exactly that: this bridge broke down. And, ok, you read a notice about this mechanical failure in a newspaper, in some fanzines. I did not. Or maybe, I better should say?: I didn´t find any further informations about the accident - some backgrounds: how could such happen in a Michael-Jackson!-concert?, who was responsible?, were there any legal actions from MJs side? Especially because of Michaels very serious injury?

FlyMeToTheMoon;4284516 said:
Ok. I have no doubt that it was ´a serious mechanical failure´. Of course - very many people watched exactly that: this bridge broke down. And, ok, you read a notice about this mechanical failure in a newspaper, in some fanzines. I did not. Or maybe, I better should say?: I didn´t find any further informations about the accident - some backgrounds: how could such happen in a Michael-Jackson!-concert?, who was responsible?, were there any legal actions from MJs side? Especially because of Michaels very serious injury?

Such accidents can happen in a show - that is why a show is always insured by insurance companies.

Adrian Grant also brought up that technical problem (as the cause of that accident) in his ‘Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary’ book where he chronicles important events concerning Michael Jackson’s life and career:

“June 27, 1999: Due to a technical problem part of the set, the central section of ‘The Bridge Of No Return’ collapses, leaving Michael to climb back on to the stage…” (Adrian Grant)

Few hours after that accident, Dr. Steven Hoefflin arrived at the hotel and began to administer Propofol but also Demerol to Michael Jackson so as to ease his pains on his back.

Debbie Rowe was also there and she witnessed the whole process in the hotel room which in no time was transformed into an emergency centre.

The team of the concert producers (of that show) was responsible for that accident.

Michael Jackson received payment from the insurance company that paid him the agreed amount of money (according to the insurance policy that financially covered the show’s risks in case of a serious accident).

I attribute this incident, the Pepsi incident and the 2003 documentary to be the biggest factors that contributed to his untimely death.

We know that this incident kickstarted another drug addiction/dependency that lasted until the mid 2000s (Demerol?). He said it himself in an interview in 2007. The drugs he was on changed his appearance quite a bit during this time, I believe.

I don't think Michael was using Propofol during the time. he was on pain meds for his head back to what happen in 1984.

mysterygirl7;4284406 said:
What does that mean? “At least I had an unclouded experience?”

Unclouded?

Anyway, I am admitting that I didn’t see it, because I want to try and help clear up what happened. Then it’s better to tell the truth, right?!?!

Even though it’s embarrassing to say, that I didn’t notice.

It would be cooler to make up a story, right? And say, “oh yeah I knew right away, that it wasn’t part of the show” blablabla

If I would have been at the very front, then perhaps I would have noticed. But I was not at the front. As I remember there was a bracelet system, if I remember correctly. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY!!! I only had the second best bracelet, or something. (Can anyone else remember this?) The only positive thing to say about that is, that it was one of the few concerts, where I didn’t feel like a train had hit me afterwards.

I know there was articles written in the German newspapers about it. I wasn’t told untill the next day.

i was front row, and it didnt realized it at that moment. i cant remember exactly. but i know that noone around me screamed or was surprised about that something was going wrong.

i was front row, and it didnt realized it at that moment. i cant remember exactly. but i know that noone around me screamed or was surprised about that something was going wrong.

Good to hear, because I always felt like a fool for not seeing it! "Did you see the bridge fall down?" "Nooooo........!!!!!!" :ranting:

I’m still amazed that this accident didn’t make bigger waves back then. Until last year, I didn’t even know this had happened. So, from what I gather so far, the question who was responsible for this was quickly resolved and the insurance covered it, and that was the end of the story. What feels odd to me is that it happened at all. And in Germany, with its strict safety regulations. And at a high-profile event like this. Wasn’t it even on live TV? Near-fatal accident involving biggest celebrity in the known universe. I thought more would have been talked and written about it, but I can’t really find any in-depth articles or anything. I mean, stage structures don’t collapse on a daily basis. That’s quite a story.

I’ve said this before and I can say it again. Glad escaped death and only get an injury, he would’ve suffered the same fate as Owen Hart died a month earlier, the media would’ve feed off stunt related deaths regarding Michael and Owen. I have a clear bet that’s why Michael didn’t want to perform much since the Munich 99’ incident due to his bad back.

Michaels Lover;4248273 said:
I was at this concert, first row, it was scary. Was anyone else here there?

Me :hellooo:, first raw too. And yep, it was very scary. We calmed down a bit when he continued with the show, but it was more like wishful thinking to believe it wasn't that serious.

kai;4248300 said:
but i knew that something was wrong because of the overdriven "boom" sound.

Yep. And it fell way too fast. For one quick silly second it crossed my mind that MJ went crazy and pulled a Jackie Chan, but it was a more plausible explanation that something went wrong. :/ Plus one friend who attended the Korean concert too confirmed it wasn't part of the show.

FlyMeToTheMoon;4248698 said:
I always wondered that nothing was written afterwards about maybe a false construction, any technical problems, accident or not or what...
ScreenOrigami;4290813 said:
I’m still amazed that this accident didn’t make bigger waves back then. Until last year, I didn’t even know this had happened.

Now that you say this it's quite strange indeed... TBH I feel that the Pepsi incident was downplayed as well to some extent, it was news and a known fact, but it was made to look like it was less devastating (in MJ's own words too, may I add).

The Munich accident added to his back pain/problems AFAIK, which never left anymore and continued to cause him suffering, including during the trial period. I can't remember exactly whether it was the cause when he had to go to the doctor and then rush back to court and the whole world mocked him because of his PJ's (that was another so unfair story and only those who closely followed the case know the background, the rest of the world thinks of it as another proof for MJ's weirdness. :( You can feel T-Mez is still hurt about it too when he speaks about that).

You know, MJ was often criticized for "playing the victim" but I actually see the opposite. Perhaps what people are confusing is that you can see him hurt. But rarely complaining.

PoP;4290814 said:
I have a clear bet that’s why Michael didn’t want to perform much since the Munich 99’ incident due to his bad back.

He was probably worried about his children, too. This could have gone terribly wrong, after all.

ozemouze;4290816 said:
Now that you say this it's quite strange indeed... TBH I feel that the Pepsi incident was downplayed as well to some extent, it was news and a known fact, but it was made to look like it was less devastating (in MJ's own words too, may I add).

I can’t find it right now, but there’s a German news clip where they act as if he was making the burn accident up, because they don’t see how an accident like that could possibly have happened on this set. And then go on to show the street version commercial. :doh:

I kid you not, that clip is out there. When I find it, I’ll update this post.

EDIT: Found it: https://mega.nz/file/Z84V1QZa#H0hhvc5Ee4OulsIMDaBa-_nnOgNnG17vJMV7_N6iNSA

It’s a clip from Swiss TV in 1993. Beginning at minute 2, they mention that MJ’s drug addiction supposedly began after an accident on the Pepsi set, although it’s not quite clear how an accident could have happened during this harmless scene – then proceed to show the wrong commercial. :doh:

ozemouze;4290816 said:
The Munich accident added to his back pain/problems AFAIK, which never left anymore and continued to cause him suffering, including during the trial period. I can't remember exactly whether it was the cause when he had to go to the doctor and then rush back to court and the whole world mocked him because of his PJ's (that was another so unfair story and only those who closely followed the case know the background, the rest of the world thinks of it as another proof for MJ's weirdness. :( You can feel T-Mez is still hurt about it too when he speaks about that).

You know, MJ was often criticized for "playing the victim" but I actually see the opposite. Perhaps what people are confusing is that you can see him hurt. But rarely complaining.

I think he said he fell in the bathroom. But of course that does a number on your back, too, if its already injured. The way “pajama day” is handled to this day is infuriating. Whenever someone writes about the trial, they pull up the same pajama photo. It’s not like there aren’t literally hundreds of photos on Getty Images from all the other trial days where MJ looked absolutely pristine in his tailor-made suits. No, of course they prefer to make him look like he had no respect for the court and put up an act. If the media had had its way, they’d have MJ pulled into court by a ring through his nose. It’s infuriating.

Last edited:
ScreenOrigami;4290817 said:
there’s a German news clip where they act as if he was making the burn accident up, because they don’t see how an accident like that could possibly have happened on this set. And then go on to show the street version commercial.

Errhmmm ... okay. :fear:

ScreenOrigami;4290817 said:
I think he said he fell in the bathroom. But of course that does a number on your back, too, if its already injured. The way “pajama day” is handled to this day is infuriating.

Thanks for the clarification! I should have checked the details myself, but I try to avoid reliving that period if possible :/, as long as I remember the main points at least.

This PJ thing... although an unimportant event itself, it's perhaps the most infuriating and hurtful memory for me, I guess for symbolic reasons. It shows perfectly how you can manipulate an innocent/unfortunate event into something sinister/weird, mock someone who should deserve some empathy instead, and basically establish your presentation as truth while misleading the public in every possible regard.

ozemouze;4290820 said:
Errhmmm ... okay. :fear:

Found the clip and updated my post. It’s in German, but even if you don’t understand the words it’s obvious that they’re getting it wrong.

ozemouze;4290820 said:
Thanks for the clarification! I should have checked the details myself, but I try to avoid reliving that period if possible :/, as long as I remember the main points at least.

This PJ thing... although an unimportant event itself, it's perhaps the most infuriating and hurtful memory for me, I guess for symbolic reasons. It shows perfectly how you can manipulate an innocent/unfortunate event into something sinister/weird, mock someone who should deserve some empathy instead, and basically establish your presentation as truth while misleading the public in every possible regard.

We should crowdfund to buy this photo and send it to all media outlets to use instead of the pajama photo. ;)

pop-icon-michael-jackson-his-father-joe-and-his-brother-jermaine-the-picture-id52763534

Ooops. I’m offtopic again. Sorry. :blush:

:eek:fftopic:

:eek:fftopic: Oh yes, he looked great at the beginning of the trial. It was sort of a ritual back then for fans to ask at pacific morning time "is he there?! what's he's wearing?" on the forums (especially after the PJ incident, as the judge then threatened him with jail if he didn't arrive on time). The media even asked some fashion guru to review the clothes, they expected criticism of course, but the fashion expert was very enthusiastic about MJ's style and only had positive things to say. :D The dresses were very smart indeed, often referenced multinational holidays as well. Even haters admitted MJ "radiated". Unfortunately the trial consumed him in the end, inevitably. :(

Thanks for the clip. Apart from the inaccuracy and contradiction, what's the point of this kind of reporting at all?... :eek:fftopic:

ozemouze;4290826 said:
:eek:fftopic: Oh yes, he looked great at the beginning of the trial. It was sort of a ritual back then for fans to ask at pacific morning time "is he there?! what's he's wearing?" on the forums (especially after the PJ incident, as the judge then threatened him with jail if he didn't arrive on time). The media even asked some fashion guru to review the clothes, they expected criticism of course, but the fashion expert was very enthusiastic about MJ's style and only had positive things to say. :D The dresses were very smart indeed, often referenced multinational holidays as well. Even haters admitted MJ "radiated". Unfortunately the trial consumed him in the end, inevitably. :(

The offtopic crew is at it again. :D

I’d love to learn more about this, especially the bit with the holiday references. Do we have a thread somewhere on this topic? I searched, but didn’t really find anything.

I must say, browsing the photos on Getty, he looked absolutely terrific in many pictures. Considering that many photographers were probably out to get the most terrible shots to sell to the tabloids, that’s quite an achievement. And then to think he had all that stuff on his mind for over a year before the trial actually began – I think I would have crumbled under the mental pressure long before Day 1.

ScreenOrigami;4290829 said:
The offtopic crew is at it again. :D

I’s love to learn more about this, especially the bit with the holiday references. Do we have a thread somewhere on this topic? I searched, but didn’t really find anything.

I must say, browsing the photos on Getty, he looked absolutely terrific in many pictures. Considering that many photographers were probably out to get the most terrible shots to sell to the tabloids, that’s quite an achievement. And then to think he had all that stuff on his mind for over a year before the trial actually began – I think I would have crumbled under the mental pressure long before Day 1.

Unfortunately I didn't find more information either :no:, these things were commented back then when the photos arrived, but it looks like they weren't collected. St. Patrick's Day's dress might be quite obvious, but I think the colors of the vest in your previous photo references Central/South American culture.

Yeah, the mental pressure thing... I always get furious when MJ is labeled "weak", he must have been one of the strongest person...

:lmao: @ at the offtopic crew. Sorry!!! :eek:fftopic:

ozemouze;4290833 said:
Unfortunately I didn't find more information either :no:, these things were commented back then when the photos arrived, but it looks like they weren't collected. St. Patrick's Day's dress might be quite obvious, but I think the colors of the vest in your previous photo references Central/South American culture.

Thanks for the hints. I’ll keep looking, maybe there’s an old blog or something. :)

ozemouze;4290833 said:
Yeah, the mental pressure thing... I always get furious when MJ is labeled "weak", he must have been one of the strongest person...

… which is obvious when he continues to perform after the accident in Munich.

Thanks for this opportunity to segue smoothly back into our topic. :D

wow forgot about this for the longest time... Michael really didn't have the best of luck on stage. He had the pepsi incident also. Poor guy really took a battering entertaining us :(

mj_frenzy;4284547 said:
Such accidents can happen in a show - that is why a show is always insured by insurance companies.

Adrian Grant also brought up that technical problem (as the cause of that accident) in his ‘Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary’ book where he chronicles important events concerning Michael Jackson’s life and career:

June 27, 1999: Due to a technical problem part of the set, the central section of ‘The Bridge Of No Return’ collapses, leaving Michael to climb back on to the stage…” (Adrian Grant)

Few hours after that accident, Dr. Steven Hoefflin arrived at the hotel and began to administer Propofol but also Demerol to Michael Jackson so as to ease his pains on his back.

Debbie Rowe was also there and she witnessed the whole process in the hotel room which in no time was transformed into an emergency centre.

The team of the concert producers (of that show) was responsible for that accident.

Michael Jackson received payment from the insurance company that paid him the agreed amount of money (according to the insurance policy that financially covered the show’s risks in case of a serious accident).

Some facts....Michael was taken to the hospital (the Isar Clinic if I remember correctly, some hospital starting with an I for sure) after the show. He either spent the night at the hospital or came back very late but wasn’t back by 1am, that was when I left his hotel. Grace came doen in what looked like pajamas or scrubs and talked to fans and said Michael was at the hospital.

Steve Hoefflin wasn’t there. He was Michael’s plastic surgeon in the 80’s. He wasn’t in Munich in 1999. What for? Debbie also wasn’t in Munich. There was someone at the window who we all first thought was Debbie but once you saw the close up from a fan video you can see it clearly isn’t Debbie. Let’s not spread bs here and stick to the facts!

I saw the bridge fall during the show but I totally thought it was part of the show and was actually cheering and thought it looked cool while totally unsware that it was actually an accident!!! I did wonder a bit when I saw Michael crawl back on stage but I just sheugged it of. I didn’t realize it was an accident and Michael had hurt himself until I came back to the hotel and was told Michael is in the hospital. We were also told that Michael is okay but will stay at the hospital so we should go to sleep and come back the next day. Michael came to the window around noon, if I remember correctly or between noon and 2pm and was in his pajamas and had a bandage on his hand (from an i.v.?) But he seemed okay and in good spirits.

A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks. It can REALLY injure your spine! So I can imagine his back causing oroblems already and if you already suffer feom chronic pain or have a past with chronic pain, it can easily trigger your pain memory and make the current pain worse. Not to mention if you add psychological pain from extreme stress on top of that...that too can make the pain feel worse.

summer;4291756 said:
Some facts....Michael was taken to the hospital (the Isar Clinic if I remember correctly, some hospital starting with an I for sure) after the show. He either spent the night at the hospital or came back very late but wasn’t back by 1am, that was when I left his hotel. Grace came doen in what looked like pajamas or scrubs and talked to fans and said Michael was at the hospital.

Steve Hoefflin wasn’t there. He was Michael’s plastic surgeon in the 80’s. He wasn’t in Munich in 1999. What for? Debbie also wasn’t in Munich. There was someone at the window who we all first thought was Debbie but once you saw the close up from a fan video you can see it clearly isn’t Debbie. Let’s not spread bs here and stick to the facts!

I saw the bridge fall during the show but I totally thought it was part of the show and was actually cheering and thought it looked cool while totally unsware that it was actually an accident!!! I did wonder a bit when I saw Michael crawl back on stage but I just sheugged it of. I didn’t realize it was an accident and Michael had hurt himself until I came back to the hotel and was told Michael is in the hospital. We were also told that Michael is okay but will stay at the hospital so we should go to sleep and come back the next day. Michael came to the window around noon, if I remember correctly or between noon and 2pm and was in his pajamas and had a bandage on his hand (from an i.v.?) But he seemed okay and in good spirits.

A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks. It can REALLY injure your spine! So I can imagine his back causing oroblems already and if you already suffer feom chronic pain or have a past with chronic pain, it can easily trigger your pain memory and make the current pain worse. Not to mention if you add psychological pain from extreme stress on top of that...that too can make the pain feel worse.

Wow, your memory is identical to how I experienced it at the time x

summer;4291756 said:
A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks.

Yes!:scream: That comparison fits. Michael could have died.

Thank you for the ´some facts´ - that´s a bit more than the special and so clean version by the wellknown I-know-it-all-mj_frenzy. For me it is still so astounding to read that a lot of people obviously didn´t realize what happened on stage.

I was completely unfamiliar with this accident until reading about it in this thread just now. It makes sense though, that such a stress could lead to MJ's use and later addiction to propofol. I've read Frank Cascio's book, but its been a few years since then, so I don't recall any references to this accident from his point of view.

I was completely unfamiliar with this accident until reading about it in this thread just now. It makes sense though, that such a stress could lead to MJ's use and later addiction to propofol. I've read Frank Cascio's book, but its been a few years since then, so I don't recall any references to this accident from his point of view.

Propofol isn't a painkiller, it's an anesthetic used for sedation (for e.g. surgeries), MJ used it to help make him sleep.

Back