The Official BET Awards Thread

Lisa Lisa? Talk about a blast from the past. :lol: She sings gospel now? :unsure:

Loved the girl groups tribute, Ne-Yo was good, Chris Brown was so-so......not really impressed much thus far.

Maxwell? Holy crap, how long has it been? 2000? His hair is short... haha.

D'Angelo tonight and this will be the BET Awards of comebacks. Then there's that one other fella..

Maxwell? Holy crap, how long has it been? 2000? His hair is short... haha.

D'Angelo tonight and this will be the BET Awards of comebacks. Then there's that one other fella..

Too long! :( He's another one that's sorely missed on the music scene.

Nice tribute to Al Green tho. Now THAT's real old school. :yes:

I've been listening' to D Angelo for the past two days. We need some brown sugar back in our lives... :sigh:

I'm not going to complain about current trends in music, but I'll use my compliment to Al Green to do so:

His music is enduring and he is just as cool singing it today as he was thirty, thirty-five years ago. Al Green is the man.

Love & Happiness....

I think everyone at the BET awards has a man-crush on the reverend.

^^Thats funny lol!! Yeah everybody was jammin in the audience! Maxwell comming out was awesome!! and Chris Brown...well...all I know is I saw him doing some nasty crotch rollin/thrusting into the camera...and no joke my reaction was, covering my mouth and screaming "ewww...omg". lol I had like a serious reaction.

Funny how when Chris Brown is performing, they have the camera on Rihanna and when she's performing, they have the camera on Chris!lol

aww the Thrillicious commercial came on. Man, that song sounds soooo gooood playing on the tv. :cloud9:

Al Green is hands down the best tonight! To be 62 and to own that crowd bigger than anyone else tonight that was just absolutely incredible, pure great raw soul singing wins out everytime!

Well, probably no MJ, but there was the Thriller commercial, a Thriller spot during Quincy's video package, and MJ singing "We Are The World".

Close enough, right? Plus, Quincy is the next best thing. He's a heck of a genius and musical force himself.

Quincy... what a legend.

I could swear there was a picture of Michael in the background during T-Pains performance. Everyone I've asked about it has no idea what I'm talking about. I know I can't be imagining things... lol :mellow:

They did a small recap on TPain's performance, but I didn't really see it.

This is the first awards show i have watched all the way through in a while, it had it's highs and lows but for the most part was thorougly entertaining.

This is the first awards show i have watched all the way through in a while, it had it's highs and lows but for the most part was thorougly entertaining.

Really? finished watching and I thought it was just a so-so show, nothing really exciting.

Of course MJ didn't show up, but at least they played Thriller during the Quincy Jones dedication! It was a very good show anyways.

Alicia's set w/ SWV, En Vogue and TLC is definitely the highlight so far! That was a great suprise. I loved seeing all those groups on there together because i'm a big fan of all three. Very nice performance Ms. Keys!
I'm sure MJ is proud of his "wife" chilli. :p

Last edited:
The Al Green tribute, the Alicia Keys performance, and the Quincy part were the only good parts

Two parts:
1.DL introducing Chris Brown as a talented singer, SONGWRITER, and dancer.

Dancer? Yes
Singer? meh...
Songwriter? Get the eff outta here with that mess lol

2.Kanye telling T-Pain is a genius and we should be graced in his presence

WTF!

LOL I know man. ^^

MY boy, Ye, called T-Pain a genius.... that was grand :giggle:

Usher's performance - this was the highlight that i was siked to see and had been waiting for..primarily cuz of the rumors taht Beyonce and Lil Wayne would be performing Love In This Club Pt II with him...needless to say i was disappointed (cz the BET Awards is not the BET awards without an appearance/performance from Bey. lol) but i still enjoyed Usher cz hes still one of the greatest entertainers

Ne-Yo- Loved his performance, he's a better dancer than i thought

Keyshia Cole - expected greatness, but once again, though i LOVE keyshia, she was off key, and missed her lyrics and was just all over the place imo

Alicia Keys (& Guests) - THE BEST!!!! Nuff said

CB (& Ciara) - im not the biggest CB fan, but i did enjoy Ciara's guest appearance. But i think CB was too freaky for the televisiona and for his age...YOU ARE STILLL JUST 19!!!YOURE NOT GINUWINE Lol

Rihanna - OMG Loved this performance. She brought soo much attitude to the stage! loved it

Lil Wayne - HOT PERFORMANCE! Love "A Milli"!

DL Hugley was soooo outta pocket for getting Marvin Sapp's name wrong, calling him "Warren Sapp"...You can get all these secular artists and rappers and such names correct and give them high praise but when it comes to a gospel artist, an annoited and talented man of God, you cant get his name right for nuthin on national television...idk it just made me upset

I tried to take a screenshot... it's a bit blurry.

3827.jpg

MJ? Yes, no? Maybe? I dunno. :lol:

EDIT: Anyway ( :lol: ), I LOVED Wayne's performance. I really liked Ne-Yo's performance too.

Last edited:
I always found the BET Awards to be a little more exciting than other award shows. Anyway these were my highlights:

I think the tribute to Al Green was one of the biggest highlights. Jill Scott (love her) and Anthony Hamilton did an amazaing job and I didn't even recognize Maxwell. Where did he go?

I love Ne-Yo and "Closer" and I think he had a good performance and he's a good dancer and all but idk I guess I expected more.

Keyshia Cole did a little better than I expected her to do. I reallly like "Heaven Sent" but I knew she wasn't that strong of a vocalist and that it would show when she performed it live.

Chris Brown's performance was a'ight (yes a'ight - Not quite "all right" but close) and I really liked the end bit with Ciara. And the waterfall effect in the background was cool.

I loved Alicia Keys performance. I loved the girl groups from back in the day. Where have SWV been? And TLC isn't quite the same without Left Eye. Side Note: She did something similar on another show where she performed "No One" and brought out several reggae artists from back in the day. That was a good performance too.

Marvin Sapp's performance was nice too. I really liked the images on the back screen of various people important to African American history. And I liked that Barack and Michelle Obama were included.

Quincy's tribute was nice. I liked that footage they showed of him lifting Michael up as they were walking offstage at the Grammys.

And I only watched Lil Wayne's performance for "A Milli".

Surprise of the Night: Kanye giving props on an award show to anyone but himself.

Back