This Is It 10th Anniversary Boxset

For the people that are complaining that there is nothing new in this box set, imagine that there was something new in this box set that you absolutely had to have and it's going to cost you $500. You just saved some money.

streaming

I feel the estate is trying to target the newer fans and new gen. it's feels that way because they know those people are gonna buy it.
Unlikely because the younger audience in general stream music and/or movies. They don't buy physical records, CDs, or DVDs. Maybe some young hipsters buy vinyl, but new release records are more expensive now than when they were the main seller. Hipsters are a small percentage of people though. Very few currently popular acts sell much physical product, I think the biggest selling album of 2019 is Taylor Swift's.

Honestly, the MJ estate needs to take notes from how the Prince Estate is doing things. Just this year alone Prince fans have gotten a solo piano album, a double album of vault material, a super deluxe edition of 1999 with 30 unreleased songs and an unreleased concert dvd.. that just this year alone.. The MJ estate needs to step it up, in the past 4 years MJ fans have gotten a cartoon halloween special and a compilation of songs we all already have (scream).. i mean really?

For the people that are complaining that there is nothing new in this box set, imagine that there was something new in this box set that you absolutely had to have and it's going to cost you $500. You just saved some money.

You got an point. i don't think i would buy this even if is was something new in it. i rather just wait someone put the new item i want on ebay.

Honestly, the MJ estate needs to take notes from how the Prince Estate is doing things. Just this year alone Prince fans have gotten a solo piano album, a double album of vault material, a super deluxe edition of 1999 with 30 unreleased songs and an unreleased concert dvd.. that just this year alone.. The MJ estate needs to step it up, in the past 4 years MJ fans have gotten a cartoon halloween special and a compilation of songs we all already have (scream).. i mean really?

They been probably reading this forums for years and years... but they will never change the way they work, who knows why. The only thing I can think of that could make a change, is a complete change of the team that is behind The Estate... but you know, that will never happen.

Re: streaming

Unlikely because the younger audience in general stream music and/or movies. They don't buy physical records, CDs, or DVDs. Maybe some young hipsters buy vinyl, but new release records are more expensive now than when they were the main seller. Hipsters are a small percentage of people though. Very few currently popular acts sell much physical product, I think the biggest selling album of 2019 is Taylor Swift's.

I don't agree with that. i seen people of all ages unboxing vinyls on youtube.

Disappointed, everybody here has valid points. I really wonder what goes through their mind when ideas are brought to them. I don’t really think anybody has a 3D TV anymore and what’s up with not releasing new footage? Weren’t they supposedly releasing new footage? So many questions.

Prince fans had a good year. while us MJ fans had an tough one. :( i really hope next year will be better for us. please let it be. we always the ones who suffer and we suppose to inspire others. :(

The MJ estate needs to step it up, in the past 4 years MJ fans have gotten a cartoon halloween special and a compilation of songs we all already have (scream).. i mean really?

I really feel that was for the new gen also Michael always wanted to do an Halloween album but never got a chance to do it.

Well, it is at least something. Feels like the Estate hasn't put out anything in a long time. Lawsuit after lawsuit will stop anything worthwhile from coming out. They really don't want to pay royalties to anyone.

Even though I agree, it was mentioned in another thread that Prince has a much bigger catalogue therefore its possible for them to create releases like that. As for concerts the estate could/should be releasing more imo. HQ at the very least. Bundle it with new footage/rehearsals or docs. Or even create a collectors label like elvis has.

They been probably reading this forums for years and years... but they will never change the way they work, who knows why. The only thing I can think of that could make a change, is a complete change of the team that is behind The Estate... but you know, that will never happen.

It's possible. after all this is an MJ related site. and i hope one day they will have a new better team. people who been fans a very long time.

I don't know. i feel they are kind of late on this. i know the movie came out 28th of this month 2009. but concert was suppose to happen july 13, 2009. so yes. this very late into the year. but at least they didn't forget i guess. :( they really should have release nothing this year.

estate

I've seen several comments in this thread about what Prince's estate is doing compared to Mike's. Let's compare the stuff that was actually released during the same period from Prince's debut album in 1978 to 2009.

Michael (1978 - 2009): 7 (including the E.T. story album, I didn't count Farewell My Summer Love since the songs on it were not recorded in the time period). There's 3 albums with The Jacksons (4 if you count Live! but not counting 2300). Mike has maybe 2 albums worth of songs that he sung on {in a noticable way} that were on other acts albums (Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, The Wiz soundtrack, Kenny Loggins, Rockwell, USA For Africa, etc). There's about 3 or 4 CD length albums worth of songs from the unreleased songs on the Ultimate Collection, the non remixes on Blood On The Dance Floor, extra tracks on the 2001 reissues, with the very few B-sides he released. Total around 17 albums, and most of this was released or recorded between 1978 -1987. There's only 3 albums released after 1987 and one has a Greatest Hits packaged with it.

Prince (1978 - 2009): around 30, plus 5 or 6 albums worth of B-sides (the full 12" versions, not the 45 edits). Prince also has totally different versions of songs, including the vocals, as remixes, not counting that though. 2 albums are 3 CDs of then all new material {Emancipation / Lotusflow3r MPLSound}. Another multiple CD set has one then new album plus 3 other CDs of unreleased music some which had come out on bootlegs {The Truth / Crystal Ball}. Plus there's a few albums that were only online when he had a website, I've heard they're on Tidal now (don't know the amount of these, so I'm not counting them, only physical releases). There's also several albums that either Warner Brothers declined to release or Prince changed his mind about putting them out, and around 10 albums that he did for other acts (Vanity 6, The Family, Jill Jones, Chaka Khan, Sheila E, The Time, etc). Prince has 5 more albums after 2009 until he passed. Counting only the officially released stuff up to 2009. Total around 35 & around 46 including the protege records.

Wait, not all the pictures in the book are stuff we haven't seen. some of pictures we haven't seen.

I cannot see the point in releasing that ‘This Is It’ 10th Anniversary Boxset, which looks like celebrating his death.

This anniversary boxset release has a very morbid feeling, especially with the inclusion of the actual lenticular concert ‘This Is It’ tickets, which are tickets that came from fans who exchanged them (right after his death and the cancellation of the shows) for getting a refund from AEG Live.

Even the fact that this is an anniversary boxset aimed at hard-core collectors (of only 1000 copies released), still this release does not really make sense.

i wonder how much money AEG is getting from this 540 Euros.

Last edited:

I don't think there is nearly as much material left for them to release that many projects all at once. With that being said, this is laughable.

This is absolutely embarrassing and spits in the face of every single person who went to bat for MJ all year while they sat in silence.

Makes me sick. How dare they insult everyone like this time and time again. They have got to go.

its time for new responsible people in the mj estate who actually know the business and know how to make money. the current estate comes up with ideas that might have worked 30 years ago. but times changed.

At least the original version of "I never heard" [which was mistakenly renamed to "this is it"] should have made it on to this set.:(

How come the promo video on Youtube ain't full of dislikes yet?

jtabbott8;4270920 said:

I guess you haven’t been on any Prince forums, His fans complain about everything that the Estate releases. I just left a forum and they are complaining. Even with all of the things you mentioned. They STILL complain about everything and are never satisfied. Just as some MJ fans complain about EVERYTHING. I admit this is overpriced; however, it IS a LIMITED release with only 1000 copies. I say if you don’t want to purchase it, then don’t. However, I don’t think it is fair to tell others or discourage others from buying. I am one of those people who don’t listen to anyone, if I want to do something. In fact, it makes me want to buy it even more.

dam2040;4270981 said:
This is absolutely embarrassing and spits in the face of every single person who went to bat for MJ all year while they sat in silence.

Makes me sick. How dare they insult everyone like this time and time again. They have got to go.

This has nothing to do with defending against two lying pieces of crap. Either you want to buy the release or you don’t. Let’s stop with the excuses.

mjchris;4270965 said:
i wonder how much money AEG is getting from this 540 Euros.

Why would AEG get something from this? It’s ONLY 1000 copies released. That’s only around $500,000. That’s basically no money for anyone involved.

Back