Thoughts on "Threatened" [MERGED]

Re: thoughts on "Threatened"

chaos lmmfao! u always know how 2 make me laugh

looks like thats a yes:smilerolleyes:

teehee. :) you'd like to think so, wouldn't you? you all make me laugh. these are good thoughts. i wonder what else is out there...? keep them coming!

THREATENED

Rod Serling Intro

Tonight's story is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of
introduction
A monster had arrived in the village
The major ingredient of any recipe for fear is the unknown
And this person or thing is soon to be met
He knows every thought, he can feel every emotion
Oh yes, I did forget something didn't I?
I forgot to introduce you to the monster.

You're fearing me, ‘cause you know I'm a beast
Watching you when you sleep, when you're in bed I'm underneath
You're trapped in halls, and my face is the walls
I'm the floor when you fall, and when you scream it's ‘cause of me
I'm the living dead, the dark thoughts in your head
I know just what you said
That's why you've got to be threatened by me

Chorus:
You should be watching me, you should feel threatened
Why you sleep, why you creep, you should be threatened
Every time your lady speaks she speaks to me, threatened
Half of me you'll never be, so you should feel threatened by me

You think you're by yourself, but it's my touch you felt
I'm not a ghost from Hell, but I've got a spell on you
Your worst nightmare, it's me I'm everywhere
In one blink I'll disappear, and then I'll come back to haunt you
I'm telling you, when you lie under tomb I'm the one watching you
That's why you got to be threatened by me

Chorus

Rod Serling Verse

The unknown monster is about to embark
From a far corner, out of the dark
A nightmare, that's the case
Never Neverland, that's the place
This particular monster can read minds
Be in two places at the same time
This is judgment night, execution, slaughter
The devil, ghosts, this monster is torture
You can be sure of one thing, that's fate
A human presence that you feel is strange
A monster that you can see disappear
A monster, the worst thing to fear.

Chorus x 3

Rod Serling Outro

What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly
terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning.

I thought I understood it quite well but now that I try to explain it, I'm questioning what I thought but I'll try to explain how I saw it anyways. The bold part is probably the important one. Sounds like he has been talking to a lady who is in an abusive relationship with someone. Sounds like he's been listening to how this man is to her and so he knows all the stories and everything he's done because she tells him. She feels threatened by the one she is with, and confides to him about feeling threatened by the guy. He feels protective towards her and basically is telling the guy he'd better feel threatened. He's being tough and protective at the same time. Tells the guy he'll never be half the man he is. He should feel threatened in more than one way. I take it to mean he's more man than the other guy so the guy should feel threatened that he'll lose his lady to him, but also that because of his abuse to his lady, he's going to make the guys life hell.

Maybe that's not it and now that I read through it, I wonder why I thought that was the meaning, but that was what initially came to mind when I heard it the first time. I hadn't tried to think of any other meaning since.

What do you see Mimi?

I thought I understood it quite well but now that I try to explain it, I'm questioning what I thought but I'll try to explain how I saw it anyways. The bold part is probably the important one. Sounds like he has been talking to a lady who is in an abusive relationship with someone. Sounds like he's been listening to how this man is to her and so he knows all the stories and everything he's done because she tells him. She feels threatened by the one she is with, and confides to him about feeling threatened by the guy. He feels protective towards her and basically is telling the guy he'd better feel threatened. He's being tough and protective at the same time. Tells the guy he'll never be half the man he is. He should feel threatened in more than one way. I take it to mean he's more man than the other guy so the guy should feel threatened that he'll lose his lady to him, but also that because of his abuse to his lady, he's going to make the guys life hell.

Maybe that's not it and now that I read through it, I wonder why I thought that was the meaning, but that was what initially came to mind when I heard it the first time. I hadn't tried to think of any other meaning since.

What do you see Mimi?

Interesting, Ape. I just read the lyrics for the first time now, right before reading your post, and that is exactly what I got from it! :)

Originally Posted by wannabestartinsomthin21 said:
What's interesting about the Rod Serling voice overs is that most of them are taken from a particular episode of "The Twilight Zone" about a little boy who just had to think a bad thought about someone he didn't like and that thing would happen to them. So everyone in the episode was always trying to make this kid happy and not piss him off, and no one could be angry or depressed around him or he would do things like turn you in to a jack in the box or send you to some mysterious place you could never escape from called "the corn field". It was really pretty scary.
good observation. wonder why michael would pick that particular episode to include??

Because... based on how Ape and I view it, this "monster" is warning the man who is not treating his lady right that he, the monster, too, has the ability to make the guy's life miserable (like the boy can if crossed) and he, the monster, is hounding this guy...dogging him...relentlessly. There's no let up day or night. He's putting the pressure on him.

But the question is....what does the monster want? The lady? Or... the guy in her life to shapen up?

Based on the rest of the album, I'd say he wants the lady...lol.. just a guess though.

thanks for this thread.it is very interesting.

some songs are too often overlooked.

or underrated.

or dismissed.

that's what's interesting.

Threatened is way underrated.

THREATENED

Rod Serling Intro

Tonight's story is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of
introduction
A monster had arrived in the village
The major ingredient of any recipe for fear is the unknown
And this person or thing is soon to be met
He knows every thought, he can feel every emotion
Oh yes, I did forget something didn't I?
I forgot to introduce you to the monster.

You're fearing me, ‘cause you know I'm a beast
Watching you when you sleep, when you're in bed I'm underneath
You're trapped in halls, and my face i "

I think its eats the walls

"I'm the floor when you fall, and when you scream it's ‘cause of me
I'm the living dead, the dark thoughts in your head
I know just what you said
That's why you've got to be threatened by me

Chorus:
You should be watching me, you should feel threatened
Why you sleep, why you creep, you should be threatened
Every time your lady speaks she speaks to me, threatened
Half of me you'll never be, so you should feel threatened by me

You think you're by yourself, but it's my touch you felt
I'm not a ghost from Hell, but I've got a spell on you
Your worst nightmare, it's me I'm everywhere
In one blink I'll disappear, and then I'll come back to haunt you
I'm telling you, when you lie"

I think this is Im the truth

"Im the one watching you
That's why you got to be threatened by me

Chorus

Rod Serling Verse

The unknown monster is about to embark
From a far corner, out of the dark
A nightmare, that's the case
Never Neverland, that's the place
This particular monster can read minds
Be in two places at the same time
This is judgment night, execution, slaughter
The devil, ghosts, this monster is torture
You can be sure of one thing, that's fate
A human presence that you feel is strange
A monster that you can see disappear
A monster, the worst thing to fear.

Chorus x 3

Rod Serling Outro

What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly
terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning.

I think its about the media people

i think it's a "love" song to sneddon

i think it's a "love" song to sneddon

hahahahahahaha

that worthy of rollin'!

by jove, i think you've got it!

nah but seriously that's good.

:)

my thoughts about this song from another forum

okay here i am randomly peeping in again!

anyhoo i was just in another forum (ape you were there too LOL^^)
they were dicussing there thought on threatened and in my opinion that song could somehow fit here in the scheme of things....theres alot i wanna say about my feelings on this song but i dont even know where to start! in a nutshell i really feel like in this song mj is showing his more agressive side , that sort of i want your girl and if you dont treat her right i will sort of way! LOL

"Every time your lady speaks she speaks to me, threatened
Half of me you'll never be, so you should feel threatened by me"

(HAHA half of me you'll never be, just had a naughty thought ha! anyhooo....)

anyway for some reason this song makes me think of break of dawn...do you think that maybe the girl he was wooing in break of dawn he is talking about in this song? maybe the girl he is in love with in BOD has a man and the reason why they spend all there time together at night is to "hide" from her man? and then in invincible could it be that he is trying so hard to make this same girl ditch her man and be with him?

If I could tear down these walls that keep you and I apart
I know I could claim your heart and our perfect love will start ( the walls are her man?)

and what about heartbreaker?

She blew a kiss, I swear that it was meant
only for me, then spoke with her body
her only goal is just to take control
And I can't believe that I can´t tell her no

the girl seem to pull him and even tho mj knew she had a man mj couldnt tell her no?? LOL maybe im going out on a limb with that one ...

anyway this all leads me back to threatened where mj wants that lady!!!

whatcha think??

....and.......

LOL why imo it just seems right, i dont know how else to explain it LOL

hmmm...

its just seems like starting at heartbreaker and ending at break of dawn mj is talking to this one particular girl...in heartbreaker the girl has caught his eye but she broke his heart wuth the news of another man:

She plays a game with such an innocent face < I didn't know heartbreaking was her case
Her actions confess and put me through the test < I was surprised that I was caught inside
Now she's thinking that I will never know

Well, I for one really LIKE Threatened. It's one of my fav tracks from Invincible! (Listening right now.) Why is it so often that the tracks that are said to be over-produced are my favorites? LOL. I must be crazy.

A couple years after release, though, Threatened became harder to listen to because of a few key parts like: "A nightmare, that's the case...Never Neverland, that's the place .... What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning..." :( It was almost disturbing, as if some weird accidental prophecy of coming events. Saying things like there's a (real or perceived) 'monster', a 'beast' in 'Neverland', it/he is the 'dark thoughts in your head', it's/he's watching you while you sleep and will 'come back to haunt you' (just like certain allegations did, ugh). 'You should be watching me. You should feel threatened.' I don't have to point out the obvious, right? I'm really surprised the press didn't "analyze" the crap out of it, finding all sorts of disturbing "confessions" or something in it. :rolleyes2: Or maybe I just missed that part...

Personally, I think it's just a sort of Thriller part 2. He likes horror and made another scary song. Well, I like it. Analyzing what the whole intention of the lyrics was, though, whoa. I don't know. Some of them are odd. I'm more on the side of it being tinged with a bit of f-you to the tabloids and folks like Sneddon, though, than being about a girl. But who knows, besides Michael, lol.

What's interesting about the Rod Serling voice overs is that most of them are taken from a particular episode of "The Twilight Zone" about a little boy who just had to think a bad thought about someone he didn't like and that thing would happen to them. So everyone in the episode was always trying to make this kid happy and not piss him off, and no one could be angry or depressed around him or he would do things like turn you in to a jack in the box or send you to some mysterious place you could never escape from called "the corn field". It was really pretty scary.
This same episode was used for the 3rd segment in 'Twilight Zone: The Movie' (a John Landis flick, btw).

Interesting - you know the name of that episode? Is it available on DVD?

agreed,i love that songs. i bet when mike hears it he wants 2dance his ass of cuz i sure do lol

yeah, as you obviously can see in the TII rehearsals now. I looove Michael's dancing in that part... one of the TII highlights for me.

I have always enjoyed the beat of this song. It is one of my favorite's from Invincible. Hadn't listened to it in ages, but when I did, the volume was kicking!!

100% agreed!! The beat is just amazing...

On the other hand, the lyrics are strangely sexy "Watching you when you sleep, when you're in bed I'm underneath...... I'm the floor when you fall, and when you scream it's ‘cause of me

I agree!! :D

I love it. If it had been released it would have been a huge hit. Its awesome to dance too and the beat is so funky.

my thoughts about this song from another forum

okay here i am randomly peeping in again!

anyhoo i was just in another forum (ape you were there too LOL^^)
they were dicussing there thought on threatened and in my opinion that song could somehow fit here in the scheme of things....theres alot i wanna say about my feelings on this song but i dont even know where to start! in a nutshell i really feel like in this song mj is showing his more agressive side , that sort of i want your girl and if you dont treat her right i will sort of way! LOL

"Every time your lady speaks she speaks to me, threatened
Half of me you'll never be, so you should feel threatened by me"

i guess i sorta threw you guys off saying she was the BOD girl and what i really meant was that she could be the same girl from all these songs! LOL i hope its not to confusing

*oh notice heartbreaker invincible and BOD are in order as they appear on the cd

That is some intricate lyric analysis...but it makes sense! haha
I must say you are very observant! Will definitely look into this more
ps I cut some of it out because it was so long :p hehe

I love it. If it had been released it would have been a huge hit. Its awesome to dance too and the beat is so funky.

Couldnt agree more...in This Is It when it was mixed with Thriller...sooo good! "SO FUNKY" hehe felt like jumping up & dancing hehe...obviously I didnt :p

I LOOOOOVE Threatened, all the little details, i love it! Invincible is an exceptional album, i love all MJ albums equally most of all he latest works, i can never get a favorite one, cause i love anything Michael, i just love the way he works music, i love everything he did, everything. An ingenius man, just unbelievable...

the thing that saddens me the most is that we wont hear anything more, i mean with his supervision, we will only hear things we will never know if he had ended them, Michael was a perfectionist, he took his time to make all songs excellent, now we may hear unfinished works... i know i miss that a lot already, i thought he was releasing a new album in the next year, i was waiting for it... thanks Murray...

i was writing this and watching this at the same time, so its kinda sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifJR7bcay0

God, what a talent we've lost..

I absolutely love Threatened. It leaves me with such a strange feeling at the end when Rod Serling says....'or is it just the beginning.' Gives me chills just thinking about it. As for Invicible the album? Brilliant. Michael went with the hot producer of the time, Rodney Jerkins who produces the hell out of his music. He isn't a world-class musician like Quincey Jones, he makes beats on a computer. Does he make great beats on a computer? Yes! What I love most about the album is Michael. Michael shines through no matter who produces the album.

I just listened to it today.. I love the song, such a great beat.

Oops...I want to clarify my last post. I don't mean to discount Rodney Jerkins one bit. He did brilliant work with Michael. I just mean that the beats/production were very contemporary for 2001. Anyways I love the album!!

Who loves this song? I find it amazing, especially this part:

Every time your lady speaks she speaks of me, threatened
Half of me you’ll never be, so you should feel threatened by me

It's got a very sexual meaning - "Unlike you, I'm a manly beast, and despite your attempts to desexualise me, women fantasize about me, not about you." :chillin:

Re: Threatened Appreciation Thread

Probably my fave track on Invincible (this and Whatever Happens).

The lyrics are still very much HISTory-BOTDF era which I love. And I love the fact they made a rap out of Rod Sterling speeches.

Re: Threatened Appreciation Thread

I absolutely love what Michael and the producers did with Rod Serlings voice, the fact he died ~25 years before and comes back to life essentially through rap of all things. Dead man rapping as I like to call it. Wouldn't even be against someone doing it with Michael's voice if they were creative like they were with Serling's (I did see this one video where someone made an entirely new song by MJ by utilising various snippets of MJ's singing/dialogue, cutting and pasting it together).

Honestly I think it's one of the greatest and most creative pieces of work he made post-Dangerous. I can't get enough of every aspect of this song!!!

Back