> Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

thriller 25 is just for fan who collect everything... but have nothing good. REMIX SUCKS...... but I dont like to do charity... so I hope Michael will do a good new album without collaborations... (it was a nightmare for me listen fergie destroy BEAT IT) or william... BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WoW.
so much love and positivity.. you really should minimize it guys...

oh well, i think it's great!!!
156,558, 2nd place, VERY GOOD.

"fallen superstar"? I Don't think so:D

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003712744

Johnson Remains No. 1; Winehouse, Hancock Soar

February 20, 2008, 11:00 AM ET
Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In a slow week for new releases, Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" remains No. 1 on The Billboard 200 for a second week, despite a 52% sales slide. The Brushfire effort sold 180,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The bigger news is significant jumps for artists who appeared on the Feb. 10 Grammy Awards, led by top winner Amy Winehouse. Her Universal Republic set "Back to Black" bounces back into the top 10 in a big way, zooming up 24-2 for a new charting high and sales week with 115,000. Winehouse led the Grammy field with five wins.

Album of the year winner Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" (Verve) explodes 159-5, with a 967% bump to 54,000, while Foo Fighters' "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" (Roswell/RCA) climbs 65-22 with 33,000 (+160%). Kanye West's "Graduation" (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam) ascends 64-40 with a 74% gain, selling 23,000.

"As I Am" (J) by Alicia Keys, who performed twice at the ceremony, stays put at No. 3 for a second week with 109,000 (+36%). The "2008 Grammy Nominees" compilation climbs a notch 5-4 with 72,000, a 40% increase.

Back on The Billboard 200, the Rhino soundtrack to "Juno" holds tight at No. 6 with 53,000 (+13%), while Taylor Swift's Big Machine self-titled album ascends 10-7 with 52,000 (+35%). Also moving 52,000, Sheryl Crow's "Detours" (A&M/Interscope) falls 2-8 with a 44% sales hit.

Mary J. Blige's Matriarch/Geffen album "Growing Pains" slips 6-7 with 49,000 (+9%) as Atlantic's soundtrack to the film "Step Up 2" steps up 13-10, moving 45,000 units with a 44% increase.

Considering its status as a catalog release, the new 25th anniversary reissue of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (Epic/Legacy) was ineligible to chart on The Billboard 200 this week. But it does bow at No. 1 on the Top Pop Catalog Albums tally after selling 166,000. The project includes reworked "Thriller" tracks by Akon, Kanye West, Fergie and will.i.am.

Only two other albums bow inside the top 50. Simple Plan's self-titled Lava/Atlantic album starts at No. 14 with 39,000, and the "WOW Gospel 2008" multi-label compilation debuts at No. 34 with 28,000.

Sales this week are up 16.1% from last week at 9.78 million units and down 11.6% from the same week last year.

3/1/08 Catalog Chart from Billboard.biz:

• More on the Grammys in a moment, but first, we switch our attention to the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. Any title that is 18 months or older, including reissues of older albums, finds a home on this 50 position chart. That includes the 25th anniversary reissue of Michael Jackson's landmark 1982 album "Thriller." The set, expanded to include reworkings of some of the original album's songs by Akon, Kanye West, Fergie and will.i.am storms the chart at No. 1, selling 166,000. That's not only the best sales week for Jackson since 2001, but also the biggest number any catalog title has seen since Christmas week of 1996, when Kenny G's "Miracles - The Holiday Album," powered through 192,000.

Top Pop Catalog Albums

Sales data provided and compiled from Nielsen SoundScan

*1 New MICHAEL JACKSON Thriller: 25 (Legacy / Epic / Sony BMG)
2 1 TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS Greatest Hits (MCA / UMe)
3 2 GUNS N' ROSES Greatest Hits (Geffen / IGA)
*4 7 MICHAEL BUBLE It's Time (143 / Reprise / Warner Bros.)
5 4 BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS Legend: The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers (Tuff Gong / Island / UMe)
*6 25 JOSH GROBAN Closer (143 / Reprise / Warner Bros.)
7 5 JOURNEY Journey's Greatest Hits (Legacy / Columbia / Sony BMG)
*8 10 QUEEN Greatest Hits (Hollywood )
*9 18 MICHAEL JACKSON Number Ones (MJJ / Epic / Sony Music)
*10 20 THE BEATLES 1 (Apple / Capitol)
* indicates titles with greatest sales gains this week

3/1/08 Catalog Chart from Billboard.biz:

• More on the Grammys in a moment, but first, we switch our attention to the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. Any title that is 18 months or older, including reissues of older albums, finds a home on this 50 position chart. That includes the 25th anniversary reissue of Michael Jackson's landmark 1982 album "Thriller." The set, expanded to include reworkings of some of the original album's songs by Akon, Kanye West, Fergie and will.i.am storms the chart at No. 1, selling 166,000. That's not only the best sales week for Jackson since 2001, but also the biggest number any catalog title has seen since Christmas week of 1996, when Kenny G's "Miracles - The Holiday Album," powered through 192,000.

Top Pop Catalog Albums

Sales data provided and compiled from Nielsen SoundScan

*1 New MICHAEL JACKSON Thriller: 25 (Legacy / Epic / Sony BMG)
2 1 TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS Greatest Hits (MCA / UMe)
3 2 GUNS N' ROSES Greatest Hits (Geffen / IGA)
*4 7 MICHAEL BUBLE It's Time (143 / Reprise / Warner Bros.)
5 4 BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS Legend: The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers (Tuff Gong / Island / UMe)
*6 25 JOSH GROBAN Closer (143 / Reprise / Warner Bros.)
7 5 JOURNEY Journey's Greatest Hits (Legacy / Columbia / Sony BMG)
*8 10 QUEEN Greatest Hits (Hollywood )
*9 18 MICHAEL JACKSON Number Ones (MJJ / Epic / Sony Music)
*10 20 THE BEATLES 1 (Apple / Capitol)
* indicates titles with greatest sales gains this week

Wow @ Number Ones moving nine spots up! Cool.

so what?

in the worst case, all the fuzz about michael possibly ending up in the billboard 200 charts actually helped to boost the sales of thriller 25.

people know he would've landed on #2 if it was eligible for billboard 200, but people always will remember him for charting at #1 in the top pop catalogue and the second highest entrance in history of that chart.

pretty good stuff if you ask me, considering michael hasn't been that successful with the launches of number ones, ultimate collection, visionary and essential.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=The+Billboard+200

Theres the new list on Billboard for the 200 - i dont see Michael.

yeah, you should read the previous posts. michael had the 2nd most selling album last week, but his album is considered a catalogue release (all sale numbers of thriller 25 will be added to the original thriller album), so it automatically is listed in the top pop catalogue, where u can find all the albums that are 18 months old or older, which logically applies for thriller.

its number 1 there. i think all the charts on the website will be updated on thursday, tomorrow, as usual.

thriller 25 is just for fan who collect everything... but have nothing good. REMIX SUCKS...... but I dont like to do charity... so I hope Michael will do a good new album without collaborations... (it was a nightmare for me listen fergie destroy BEAT IT) or william... BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

once again this isnt an album review thread lol but if thats u in ur avatar ur pretty lol

n e wayz this iz great news!

so what?

in the worst case, all the fuzz about michael possibly ending up in the billboard 200 charts actually helped to boost the sales of thriller 25.

people know he would've landed on #2 if it was eligible for billboard 200, but people always will remember him for charting at #1 in the top pop catalogue and the second highest entrance in history of that chart.

pretty good stuff if you ask me, considering michael hasn't been that successful with the launches of number ones, ultimate collection, visionary and essential.

trouble and i are just taking the piss out of peeps going on and on about chart position dont take it personally okay:eek::lol:

That's a crime!!! It's completely wrong because it included so many new tracks and new singles. That's why it's not a catalog album imo! If re-issue includes new singles it's not a catalog album!!! **** them.

Wow @ Number Ones moving nine spots up! Cool.
I'd bet some of his other albums moved up also. . . just not in the top 10. By the way, Billboard is saying T25 sold 166,000 copies. Considering this is an old album and some new releases don't sell that many copies, I'd say T25 is doing thrillicious. lol

That's a crime!!! It's completely wrong because it included so many new tracks and new singles. That's why it's not a catalog album imo! If re-issue includes new singles it's not a catalog album!!! **** them.

i think that was sonys choice to declare it as such.

be reasonable, michael is on #1 in the top pop catalogue and got the 2nd highest entry there in history of that chart. thats a success.

Not to mention it's Michael's first number-one ANYTHING since Invincible in the 2000s! You guys should be jumping for joy. Instead some of you wanna find excuses to get upset. :lol:

Like I said, all Thriller 25 is Thriller with remakes and an unreleased joint. That's all it is...and remastered sound, lol.

Last edited:
Have you had your meds, it's alright don't loose your mind over it:lol:

It's not ok!!! I can't even find "catalog charts" on Billboard menu so it's not good pr for Michael.. It just makes people think he is "hasbeen" because he can sell only "oldies"! Grrrr...

Last edited:
It's not ok!!! I can't even find "catalog charts" on Billboard menu so it's not good pr for Michael.. It just makes people think he is "hasbeen" because he can sell only "oldies"! Grrrr...

So, you think they should change all of their rules for this one album, lol...o...k

Here is the Catalog albums chart. Don't freak out if you don't see Michael on there yet. It hasn't been updated yet.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+Pop+Catalog

Last edited:
:piano:

Thriller is still a classic album, just because it has remixes don't make it a new charter. It's a revised edition of an album that came out nearly 30 years ago. That's all. :smile:

AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

i did ask why. lol.
First of all, this thread isn't about you! It's about Thriller 25 debuting at #1! So let it go! I said my piece! Secondly, yes, you asked, but made your statement without even knowing what the fuss is about... without helping yourself to actually know what you're talking about!

Back to the topic now! I'm kinda glad it's in the catalog charts... as I feel the sales will decline rapidly with no further singles, promotion and appearances coming! I think it's much easier to keep a good chart position on the catalog charts than on the main chart!

okaaayy let's not beat on each other about this. those who wished for it to be on a regular chart were expressing innocent emotion. i'm sure they're not hating the fact that he's at number 1 on a catalogue chart.

anyway..i am truly glad that MJ is at number 1!:punk: the money is still the same..and people are still going out and buying it. doesn't matter what the heading of the chart is. also a lot of other artists are having a hard time selling out venues now. if MJ were to make an appearance, he would sell out, and the independent ticket brokers would go out of business. as it stands now, they're thriving. so....it's not like the usa doesn't know that MJ is still relevant whether some pundits say so or are not willing to admit it.:)

I'm still quite disappointed with the American fans. It did much better in the French charts. In the USA they have only twice as many sales as in France for a population that is five times as large...

Not to mention it's Michael's first number-one ANYTHING in the 2000s! You guys should be jumping for joy. Instead some of you wanna find excuses to get upset. :lol:

Like I said, all Thriller 25 is Thriller with remakes and an unreleased joint. That's all it is...and remastered sound, lol.
I get you point and I agree, but just a question. Wasn´t Invincible #1 in america even if it was only the first week or am I wrong?

Back