> Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

For a 49 year old artist who is supposed to be finished. Selling in the 350-400k range 1st week and 3 million total in USA sales would be awesome.

You have to look at Justin and Kanye have more sales from the younger audiences because there young themselves. Im not saying MJ doesnt have a young audience,but a 26 year old artist just naturally has more younger fans from 13 years old to 18.

Also you have to look at MJ is also popular worldwide also. His total sales might end up being similair to JT worldwide.

But again,it's hard for a 49 year old artist to compete in sales with a 26 year old artist in his prime. 350-400k might not equal JT or Kanye,but it would put him above Chris Brown and pretty much equal with Alicia Keys and Beyonce. Not bad for a artist pushing 50 and supposed to be finished.

Last edited:
Re: AW: Re: current T25 Sales (usa)

Agreed. Thriller 25 won't appear on the main Billboard Top 200 chart cause its over two years old and has long fallen off the main chart. It'll hit #1 on the Billboard Pop Catelogue chart, #1 on the Billboard R&B Catelogue chart, and by the looks of it #2 on the Billboard Top Comprehensive chart. WOOOO!

A'ight, don't be shocked if tomorrow, you see a MJ reporter put T25 on bold and be like :doh: ! :lol:

Last edited:
Re: current T25 Sales (usa)

This album will be on the main Billboard chart. If it was going on the catalog album chart, it wouldn't even be listed on the Hits Chart, because they do not tally any other albums besides the main billboard chart albums.

You are wrong, Tom Petty's album after the Superbowl was on the HITS chart too it sold 38k but when the charts came out the next day it was only on the Pop catalog chart not the main chart but you'll see on Wed, don't be too upset about it :lol:

I don't think they tally the "billboard chart"... they tally the top selling albums of the week... it's Billboards decision to take out certain older albums! But anyway... we will see tomorrow... if they will take it out the upside is, that it will debut at #1 on the Top Pop Catalog album... but the downside to that will be, that it will be overlooked!

You're right. The bold part is what I meant, I just worded it wrong. ^_^ As far as it showing up on the billboard 200, I guess we'll see

Re: current T25 Sales (usa)

You are wrong, Tom Petty's album after the Superbowl was on the HITS chart too it sold 38k but when the charts came out the next day it was only on the Pop catalog chart not the main chart but you'll see on Wed, don't be too upset about it :lol:

Oh for real? :lol:

Oh well. :D

I think they won't take it out because there are new singles on it. So it's not a "catalog album". The original Thriller and all the rest Michael's albums are catalog albums but T25 is new even if it's 25 years old.

See this is what I don't get, originally when Billboard was asked about it, they said T25's sales would add to the original Thriller, making the case it'll be on the catalog chart for sure. Now that they have "revised" it so to speak, it's confusing how it'll go. Worldwide sales charts don't have catalog charts so this is why it's confusing.

yah it really is confusing. America is the only country with a catelogue chart for some reason. I still think Thriller 25 will count towards the catelogue chart, much like the 2001 reissue did as well. But I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow or Thursday. Either way I hope it makes it to #1 and every chart lol

yah it really is confusing. America is the only country with a catelogue chart for some reason. I still think Thriller 25 will count towards the catelogue chart, much like the 2001 reissue did as well. But I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow or Thursday. Either way I hope it makes it to #1 and every chart lol

True. :lol: It will because of the 150K sales margin I bet.

AW: Re: AW: Re: current T25 Sales (usa)

Agreed. Thriller 25 won't appear on the main Billboard Top 200 chart cause its over two years old and has long fallen off the main chart. It'll hit #1 on the Billboard Pop Catelogue chart, #1 on the Billboard R&B Catelogue chart, and by the looks of it #2 on the Billboard Top Comprehensive chart. WOOOO!
Well, if they take it out of the Top 200, then they will also take it out of all the other charts! Top Pop Catalog will be the only chart it will stay in!

See this is what I don't get, originally when Billboard was asked about it, they said T25's sales would add to the original Thriller, making the case it'll be on the catalog chart for sure. Now that they have "revised" it so to speak, it's confusing how it'll go. Worldwide sales charts don't have catalog charts so this is why it's confusing.
What have they "revised"?? *checking* Oh, okay I see... originally they said that all of the sales will be combined and added to the original album, following that logic it's kinda obvious that they will put it on the catalog charts (duh, what you said)... but now they say that only the 2008 sales will be combined.... oh the suspense! ;) Did anyone see if U2's reissue landed on the Top 200? Well, I guess we'll see in a couple of hours!

Last edited:
if an album sells enough copies in a week to be in the hottest 200 then it should enter that billboard 200 no matter how old. the fact is, it sold enough copies.

Last edited:

Michael is walking quietly and softly, and Thriller 25 is stompin'!

Isn't this cool to watch?!

Last edited:
350-400 thousand is not THAT much for a NEW release..

think of it this way.. (some high numbers recently in the U.S.)

*Kanye West 957,000 copies it's first week (Really high)
that same week in #2 was Linkin Part with 635,000 it's first week

Justin Timberlakes last album sold 684,000 it's first week

To sum it up, the average number for a large album opening week in todays U.S. market is in the mid 600 thousands.

Michaels new album should (I HOPE) reach somewhere around Kanye Wests opening weeks, but have a consistant sales throughout a long period of time..

Opening week sales tells VERY little. Let me explain..

Though Kanye West had a SMASH opening week, it was 83% of his TOTAL world wide sales to date.. His album only sold 1,153,000 worldwide..

Justin TImberlake who had an average first week sold , 273,000 less it's first week than Kanye, but sold 5.5 million worldwide in the long run.. ( over 4 million more than Kanye)

Now If Michael were to open lets just say in the middle of Justin Timberlakes sales and Kanyes, with 822,000 opening week.. And had a long length rate of sales could reach very high in the long run..

Back in the 90's, opening week sales were MUCH lower.. People could not just DOWNLOAD the album, they would HAVE to go to he store, if they are out, they're out.. His albums would sell in the mid 300,000 range.. and later each into double digits in sales.. Now if Michael can have a big opening week, and the album has a long life could reach HIGH..

Todays music sells FAST opening weeks, then freezes.. This will be the challange for Michael.. The best think will be to make videos etc, spread out in a long period of time.. Like he did Thriller.

Thriller 25 was planned for the release date.. Look at it's compition, there was not ONE major album released that same week.. (SMART) the compition were albums that are slowly declining in sales..

Amy Whinhouses album was released in 2006. And that was one of THRILLERS biggest compition now.. Whinhouses album out sold Justin Timberlakes album. It's the TIMEING for THRILLER 25 that got it's high rankings..

NON the less, I'm not breaking it down, a 25 year old album selling anywhere near 156,558 albums in U.S. opening week is a big deal.

You gotta be joking, right?
There's no way in hell MJ's gonna even come close to matching first week album sales of Kanye West and Justin Timberlake in the U.S. They're both in their prime. MJ is 49 years old and has been accused of pedophilia....twice.
350-400k, at this point, would be AWESOME. Thriller25 does offer alot of hope though, 'cause I didn't expect it to do this well. But if you think Michael still has the ability to sell 650-950,000 copies of a new album during it's opening week, you're on some serious drugs.
Oh, and Kanye's "Graduation" album was certified 2X platinum by the RIAA of America, like, 2 month's ago. So it's sold alot more than 1.1 million worldwide, lol.

Hollaback.

Last edited:
err. it's also a re-release, NOT new material. Thriller has done SO well for a re-release. I am not sure why some are treating it like a new album. :unsure:

Also, Billboard charts have not come out have they? So the "number 3" is just how high the sales are when 30 something percent was counted. Is that right?

why are people talking as if the charts have been announcd? billboard might list it at #25 on official charts. it hasnt been updated yet. until its officially updated the sales figures and positions are hearsay

Last edited:
AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

why are people talking as if the charts have been announcd? billboard might list it at #25 on official charts. it hasnt been updated yet. until its officially updated the sales figures and positions are hearsay
What is your problem?? Hitsdailydouble is done! Thriller is the second most sold album of the week in the US with around 150k to 160k sold! And that's a fact! Whether you like it or not! They are reliable... we have been following them 6 years ago already when Invincible was still on the charts! The question now is whether Billboard will allow it in their main chart or in the Top Pop Catalog chart (which is for albums older than 2 years, regardless of how much it sold)!

Hitsdailydouble is never that far off from the billboard chart. Their numbers are usually only a few thousand different than billboards numbers.

What is your problem?? Hitsdailydouble is done! Thriller is the second most sold album of the week in the US with around 150k to 160k sold! And that's a fact! Whether you like it or not! They are reliable... we have been following them 6 years ago already when Invincible was still on the charts! The question now is whether Billboard will allow it in their main chart or in the Top Pop Catalog chart (which is for albums older than 2 years, regardless of how much it sold)!

I have no problem mate, so settle the heck down. I didnt know hitsdaily was official. It may serve you better in future to be a little more calm and polite in your replies. If the figures are right then theyre fantastic.

Hitsdailydouble is never that far off from the billboard chart. Their numbers are usually only a few thousand different than billboards numbers.

Ok cool:) Thanks for that.

Jackson to debut at #2 in USA with Thriller 25

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news06989m01

According to hitsdailydouble, which calculates total sales of the week in the USA, Jackson sold 157,000 copies of Thriller 25. That's good enough for a number 2 debut on Billboard behind Jack Johnson's sale of 170K.

Amy Winehouse's appearance at the Grammys booster her sales up 357% to 121K, good for a number 3 ranking.

That's only 13,000 copies less sold for Michael from the number one spot. Think a Grammy appearance would have boosted those sales for Jackson? Definitely a golden opportunity missed. Still it's great news and should make for a number one cd on Billboard's R&B albums charts. Great job, Michael!!!

AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

I have no problem mate, so settle the heck down. I didnt know hitsdaily was official. It may serve you better in future to be a little more calm and polite in your replies.
It would serve you right to inform yourself first, before doubting our discussions!

That's only 13,000 copies less sold for Michael from the number one spot. Think a Grammy appearance would have boosted those sales for Jackson? Definitely a golden opportunity missed. Still it's great news and should make for a number one cd on Billboard's R&B albums charts. Great job, Michael!!!
Yes! I think so too... but if what people are telling is true, meaning that many stores sold out their copies of Thriller, then it wouldn't make much difference, especially if they will put it on the Top Pop Catalog chart (it's gonna be at #1 there anyway), which they most likely will! And the general public doesn't check the Hitsdailydouble Charts!

Last edited:
Re: AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

It would serve you right to inform yourself first, before doubting our discussions!

how can one inform themself if theyre unaware theyre wrong? i made a mistake. its not like u have never made one.

"OUR" discussions? im part of this forum too haha.. its not your discussions. lol

Last edited:
AW: Re: AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

how can one inform themself if theyre unaware theyre wrong? i
One generally asks questions and gets information, before making a statement, on a topic one doesn't know anything about!

"OUR" discussions? im part of this forum too haha.. its not your discussions. lol
Well, before you uninformed dissmissed it as "hearsay" you weren't really part of the discussion, were you?

And you're a member since a couple of weeks... so you aren't aware that we went through and discussed Hitsdailydouble since 6 years already! Ask first, why we are seriously discussing it, before you dismiss it as bs!

OMG this sales are incredible!!

Couldn't believe this...its so great!

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: > Thriller 25 in USA: 156,558 copies sold

One generally asks questions and gets information, before making a statement, on a topic one doesn't know anything about!

i did ask why. lol.
why are people talking as if the charts have been announcd?

Answer: Oh Damien, incase you didnt know hits daily is a credible sales source, and are always extremely close to official Billboard results:)

i spose being nice is too hard. some members here have hot heads dont they.

Well, before you uninformed dissmissed it as "hearsay" you weren't really part of the discussion, were you?

sorry i will remember to be present and active at all times on mjjc so that i am always part of your discussions so when i post its not out of place.

And you're a member since a couple of weeks... so you aren't aware that we went through and discussed Hitsdailydouble since 6 years already! Ask first, why we are seriously discussing it, before you dismiss it as bs!

sorry i should have joined MJJC 6 years ago when it didnt exist.

also, i appologize for not being a hitsdaily expert.

Last edited:
Back