Thriller 40 Disc 2 - POSITIVE ONLY Thread

I hope the upcoming documentaries clear up some cloud. I would really want to know which tracks were specifically worked on for Thriller. Half of the T40 tracks are clearly just added for extra numbers.

In my opinion the tracks that didn’t make the cut are really good. There was a great double album possible. There is a lot of joy to be found in hot street, nite line, she’s trouble, carousel, got the hots and sunset driver. If there are finished up versions of behind the mask and who do you love (read: get rid of the awful drum machine sound and place live drums over it) you got yourself a disc that is worthy of being a full album release.

1 Hot Street
2 She’s Trouble
3 Carousel
4 Nite Line
5 Behind The Mask
6 Sunset Driver
7 Who Do You Love
8 Got The Hots

This would have been a really solid 80s album imo, that’s a 1984 release right there.

Last night as I was falling asleep with hearts in my eyes lol I actually had the same thought! This totally could have been a double album and it would have been FIRE!!!

To be honest, I'm probably not gonna listen to the new songs until a few months from now when everything has settled a bit;
This is what I usually do. Films, books, music - I always wait. Not as in, depriving myself of something I really, really wanna access. I just never feel the urge to go with it immediately.

I'm actually surprised I wanted to listen straightaway. I was always planning on buying it today but didn't expect to be listening to it for quite some time. Michael always surprises me, lol.

I just feel bad about it all.
There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about all aspects of this project. But I love this little space, this little corner where we get to bounce around like a spring lamb!

Or is that just me? :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for this thread! Even though I’m very, very disappointed with T40 overall, the barrage of negativity can become overwhelming at times.

“Who Do You Know,” as I’ve raved about it many times already, is an absolute home run. Easily one of the best posthumously released songs. I also absolutely treasure “Sunset Driver,” “Carousel,” and “She’s Trouble.”

You are definitely not the only one!
Glad to hear it. I'm gonna be bouncing around all day. :D

“Who Do You Know,” as I’ve raved about it many times already, is an absolute home run. Easily one of the best posthumously released songs.
The whole of Disc 2 is new to me. I loved Carousel and CGOOTR but WDYK blew my mind. I had no expectations or prior knowledge of what the sound might be so I was proper 😲 when I heard it.

I also absolutely treasure “Sunset Driver,” “Carousel,” and “She’s Trouble.”
She's Trouble is amazing. Just listened to that 4 times straight. I'll try Sunset Driver next.

For me that easily the best Michael album since...Thriller, yes the demo could have been a little more polished, but I really like the sound "behind the scenes" of these demo, that really feel like the early 80's vibe; I think the estate/Sony (and I hate their past album, except maybe Bad25th) have done a good compilation job, it's hard to choose the good songs to put in this kind of project, but that work here imho, all these demo are a good mix when you listen the full album.

For the division of fans, I think sadly that a long story with Jackson fans because of his career choices, for example I'm fan of his pre-bad period, specially the late 70's mid 80's period (including Captain Eo); I remember of a very good site and forum because of this division "mjearly 80's", we can agree or disagree with that, but that a long time problems, and I think for lot of fans, these pre-bad demo are logically not their cup of tea; okay behind the mask demo is rough (very good for me but maybe a little too "demo"), but to say the remix of 2010 (who was imo an abomination) is better, I can't understand that, except to have extremely different tastes.

For this project, I really how joyful, simple and beautiful these songs are, there are something very powerful about these songs, 40 years I still can't understand how Thriller the album/demo are so amazing, very something magic about the core of the sound, very hopeful, that the same thing for Chicago1945 and Dream Away.

Sorry if I'm a little judgemental, but that my point of view of peoples could have different opinions for the same subject (Michael Jackson), and thanks you Sony for celebrate Thriller with new songs.

Last edited:
“Who Do You Know,” as I’ve raved about it many times already, is an absolute home run. Easily one of the best posthumously released songs.
Totally agree!! It's an incredible song and it's been trending on Twitter for over 12 hours. I think it's easily the overall fan favorite!

The tracks I wasn't so fond of, like Lovely Way are growing on me.
Lovely Way is quite possibly my favorite song on the disc 2! Definitely give it some time to grow on you. I am seriously obsessed with it!

Who Do You Know is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard. I had tears in my eyes the first time I heard it. The last time I had this feeling after listening to a Michael song for the first time was when I heard Best of Joy in late 2010.

Speaking of Best of Joy, The Toy is gorgeous. While BOJ is superior, The Toy is marvellous. Beautiful harmonies and vocals.

She’s Trouble is amazing. I loved the lower quality leak and I am glad to have it in good quality after all these years.

Carousel and Behind The Mask (Mike’s demo) are other positives for me from disc 2.

And I guess it is nice to have a demo of Thriller.

I am hoping that someday I will warm up to What A Lovely Way To Go.

I would focus on the positive the day The Estate stops killing MJ's legacy. I don't mean to be negative, I'm a positive person, but I deeply hate injustice. Michael's posthumous releases have been extremely unprofessionally handled, with the slight exception of Xscape album. Michael didn't deserve such incompetent people.

Can anyone justify why they release CGOOTR on a Thriller 40 (an already released song coming from before Thriller era) and no Niteline, Hot Street, The Lady In My Life full version, Human Nature full version or demo, Thriller Video Mix, WBSS extended version, Slapstick, ... no Halloween promotion, close to no promotion at all, and 10 tracks on the second CD with lots of space left? And I'm not even mentioning the "artwork" of the merchandises on their official website which is just copy pasted photos on t-shirts without any art at all. Keeping positivity with such poor management is burying one's head in the sand. I've been a MJ's fan since the 80s and what we see today is a mockery, not management. I personally find it unacceptable. They're not serious and they're way too unprofessional.
I feel you on everything you are saying! But we should to let this thread be about positive things! But I agree with everything you are saying! I could rant about the Estate for weeks and would never run out of steam. Some weeks ago I still hoped for Hot Street. Now that the album came out and I see the tracks, I'm wondering why they didn't include Scared Of The Moon. It's released, but wouldn't it make a nice Thriller bonus track? Sunset Driver is also a released song, why not Scared Of The Moon? Maybe I'm missing some obvious info here, I always thought it would be a Thriller song.

okay, positive stuff!

I guess what brings me the most joy is that people listen to certain songs the first time! One of my fav songs is Sunset Driver, never get tired of that one! Carousel is also a song I really love. Starlight is a song I listened to more than Thriller :ROFLMAO: Most of the time I'm never really a fan of overplayed MJ songs. So it makes sense I always played Starlight instead. :oops:

Omg I overlooked they also put the PYT Demo on T40. I always preferred that version, which makes me a problematic fan I guess. It's just one of these songs I instantly fell in love with when I heard it the first time.

(so we have Sunset Driver AND PYT Demo from the Ultimate Collection, BUT NOT SCARED OF THE MOON. I'm so confused.)

“Who Do You Know,” as I’ve raved about it many times already, is an absolute home run. Easily one of the best posthumously released songs. I also absolutely treasure “Sunset Driver,” “Carousel,” and “She’s Trouble.”
Totally agree!! It's an incredible song and it's been trending on Twitter for over 12 hours. I think it's easily the overall fan favorite!

For this project, I really how joyful, simple and beautiful these songs are, there are something very powerful about these songs, 40 years I still can't understand how Thriller the album/demo are so amazing, very something magic about the core of the sound, very hopeful, that the same thing for Chicago1945 and Dream Away.
I absolutely agree! I am blown away by how amazing this whole set of songs is. I mean I am seriously in love with them. I had this small fear in the back of my mind that maybe I would not like them and I'd have to be sort of disappointed. But I had no expectations. I just went into it fully open-minded and I am finding that I am just madly in love. They are so dynamic and interesting 😍

The songs really are joyful, beautiful, fun. I mean so many feel like a straight up party to me!

Not that I don't like it, but it's just a demo that can't compare to She's Trouble in terms of polishing and quality. The solution would be to release a box set full of demos from all eras rather than few on a Thriller re-issue which doesn't contain The Lady In My Life full version, Niteline and Hot Street.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a demo. It’s still amazing. And I very much doubt that majority of the songs left in the vault are complete. They are mostly demos.

Who Do You Know is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard. I had tears in my eyes the first time I heard it. The last time I had this feeling after listening to a Michael song for the first time was when I heard Best of Joy in late 2010.

Speaking of Best of Joy, The Toy is gorgeous. While BOJ is superior, The Toy is marvellous. Beautiful harmonies and vocals.

She’s Trouble is amazing. I loved the lower quality leak and I am glad to have it in good quality after all these years.

Carousel and Behind The Mask (Mike’s demo) are other positives for me from disc 2.

And I guess it is nice to have a demo of Thriller.
I agree with everything you've said here!

I am hoping that someday I will warm up to What A Lovely Way To Go.
Oh, I so hope it does! Please give it time :)

It's got a VERY different vibe! I instantly loved it! The way he says 'gimme some loving' 💕
But I need a bottle of wine 🍷 with it so that I can sing along ;) Play this at my funeral and be merry :LOL:

I don't know why, but this song remind of a tv show I have never really seen, the tv show "Cheers", or something from Billy Joel, that sound like he was in a party with very goods friends, it's a very good surprise because we rarely hear Michael in this kind of songs (except the Jacksons "surprise song"):)

created.

i will fill and update this, and also the old threads, today or tomorrow. Have some things to do.

It's got a VERY different vibe! I instantly loved it! The way he says 'gimme some loving' 💕
But I need a bottle of wine 🍷 with it so that I can sing along ;) Play this at my funeral and be merry :LOL:
You nailed my exact feelings about it! All of this!

I really how different moments these demo are from each others, for example some demo seem close to complete (Carousel, She's trouble); some are very early demo in the good sense, without too much production, more "natural" for a lack of better term, for example I really love how "Behind the Mask" sound, that like a live version of the song, it's like we are close to Michael and present during these moments, we have different kinds of demo, and I really love that.

created.

i will fill and update this, and also the old threads, today or tomorrow. Have some things to do.
Thanks for creating new thread because I don't like to read lyrics, I just like to discover them as we go along. Sometimes after hearing a song 20+ times, I suddenly realize a new word or a word that sounded different, and then lyrics start to fall in place :ROFLMAO: Such wonderful aha moments :)

My dear this thread really brightened the mood! I absolutely love this! 🥰🥰
I'm so glad you are enjoying it! It's turned around. It was a rough start at first, but it seems like people for the most part are enjoying a place to just retreat into some celebration! I know I am ❤️

I really how different moments these demo are from each others, for example some demo seem close to complete (Carousel, She's trouble); some are very early demo in the good sense, without too much production, more "natural" for a lack of better term, for example I really love how "Behind the Mask" sound, that like a live version of the song, it's like we are close to Michael and present during these moments, we have different kinds of demo, and I really love that.
That's a great way of explaining it! And I think that's part of what makes the whole thing so dynamic to me. It helps that I really didn't know any of the songs other than Carousel. All of these are new to me and I didn't have any expectations of how they would sound. But I really like the mixture as you described because it feels like some insight into his process!

I have no idea what the released version of "Behind the Mask" sounds like, but this one is just a wild ride to me. I think the imperfections of it add something! I've always felt that way about demos.

Back