Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Airline pilot and US hero Captain Sullenberger

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - Leader of Iran

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Captain Richard Phillips - freed from Pirates

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Yeah..it will be Obama because the "Man of The Year" is often from an American perspective.If you had a world wide perspective it would be Michael guaranteed. I can tell you right now that Japan see's Michael as the Man of The Year :)

Obama was Person of the Year last year... They usually don't pick the same person two years in a row.

He was just doing his job. And he was only really saving his own arse. If the plane went down, so did he. He was only saving himself and it was just good luck that he saved a plane-full of people as well. Like good on him and everything. But he was just doing what he was trained to do.

Pilots aren't trained to land airliners on water. Had he done what he was 'trained' to do he would have crashed on his way to or on Teterboro Airport instead of landing safely on the Hudson River. He rejected two emergency landing requests, full knowing that the plane would not make it, or that he couldn't apply the reverse thrusters to safely land it. But w/ true grace under pressure, Captain Sully provided an unconventional way to solve a possible disaster, thinking fast and outside the box to save not only his life but the lives of others. Had he done what he had been 'trained' to do people surely would have been injured or dead.

As for "saving his own arse," maybe you failed to read about how Captain Sully made sure that every person exited the jet safely before he did, quite the opposite of 'saving your own arse.' He acted selflessly and like the model of how every person should act in a crisis.

Pilots aren't trained to land airliners on water. Had he done what he was 'trained' to do he would have crashed on his way to or on Teterboro Airport instead of landing safely on the Hudson River. He rejected two emergency landing requests, full knowing that the plane would not make it, or that he couldn't apply the reverse thrusters to safely land it. But w/ true grace under pressure, Captain Sully provided an unconventional way to solve a possible disaster, thinking fast and outside the box to save not only his life but the lives of others. Had he done what he had been 'trained' to do people surely would have been injured or dead.

As for "saving his own arse," maybe you failed to read about how Captain Sully made sure that every person exited the jet safely before he did, quite the opposite of 'saving your own arse.' He acted selflessly and like the model of how every person should act in a crisis.

I sooo agree.

While I am all for Michael winning awards for his music, his videos, even being recorgnized for his work with children and charities, I don't feel he did anything this year that was special that influenced us.

The award is really for 'influence' and I don't see that he did anything special this year besides rehearsing for concerts.

guys pick the Iranian protesters this year...MJ is not on the list..lets support what he stood for at least..

If MJ is not the list then the list looks NOT crediable in picking a choice.

That list is really odd! Sarah Palin??!!? Vladimir Putin man of the year 2007, I guess for worse, not to mention George Bush...

'Airline pilot and US hero Captain Sullenberger'

I also voted for Capt. Sully.

Thank you for identifying Captain Sullenberger as a US hero. He's deserving of the title.

My longshot to win Time's 2009 Man Of The Year though is Twitter, the micro-blogging website.

The world is using this site like no other. We're seeing Chinese and Iranian dissidents telling the world what's really going on inside their countries, and it's proven to be another remarkable news source of world events and happenings that the major news media just aren't interested in covering. They may not be interested but we are.

Based on business reports from Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal among others, if the founders of Twitter show a proift during any quarter of fiscal 2010, they'll go from a popular but struggling internet company with an estimated value of just under a billion to about three.

I think it will be the airplane pilot. Although I would have personally chose MJ. But knowing TIME :smilerolleyes: I'm not going get my hopes up.

If bush once got it, i'm not sure if i would want Michael to get it. I mean he would be on the same list as a war criminal then.

Michael shouldn't win this award. It deserves to go out to someone who has worked hard in the world. Don't give it to Michael because he simply died.

Time 'Person of the Year' to be revealed
Published: Dec. 11, 2009 at 10:31 PM

NEW YORK, Dec. 11 (UPI) -- Time magazine is to announce its 2009 Person of the Year on the U.S. morning program "Today," NBC announced Friday.

Time Managing Editor Richard Stengel is to discuss this year's top candidates and the selection process on the show Monday.

Stengel will then reveal the 2009 Person of the Year on Wednesday's edition of the program, the network said.

U.S. President Barack Obama was Time's 2008 Person of the Year.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...f-the-Year-to-be-revealed/UPI-22851260588716/

I think once again it will be a concept instead of an actual person - could be Twitter. Although, that would be incredibly annoying.

Time's 2009 Person of the Year is Will Wright

March 21 2008 / by Alvis Brigis
Category: Metaverse Year: 2009 Rating: 7

On December 26, 2009 Time Magazine announced superstar video-game designer Will Wright as its latest Person of the Year award recipient. Racking up multiple billions in sales for the recent releases of The Sims 3 (2009) and Spore (Sept. 2008) Wright conclusively asserted the dominance of massively multi-player online video games and, more importantly, ushered in the new era of Work/Play.
It’s almost impossible to walk into a school or a McDonald’s without immediately spotting some real-world manifestation of either Spore or The Sims. Custom trading cards, t-shirts, iPhone sleeves, iPhone flash games and hyper-viral 3D printouts featuring creatures generated in-game have become as pervasive as Pound Puppies at the peak of their craze eons ago. At the same time, this new marketing/merchandising phenomenon has also created a new class of millionaire creature, avatar and world designers with a median age of just sixteen years, thus irrevocably spreading the notion that pro-sumerism (consumers becoming micro-producers) and serious games as a potent economic force are for real. Thanks to Wright, no one on this planet will ever again look at the gaming the same way.
(cont.)

Of course, Wright is the brilliant poster-child of a broader User-Generated Content shift that traces it’s roots back to the launch of Linden Labs’ Second Life”, a pervasive open-ended virtual world that has of late showed signs of a possible resurgence. But it is undeniable that he is a cut above when it comes to blending function with fun.

Runners-up for Person of the Year 2009 included life scientist Craig Ventner (for his applied artificial life-forms), exponentialist Raymond Kurzweil (for popularizing the concept of Acceleration) and iPhone brainiac Steve Jobs (for designing such a popular hand-held mini-computer that it now rivals the PC market).

http://memebox.com/futureblogger/show/219

Time's 2009 Person of the Year is Will Wright

March 21 2008 / by Alvis Brigis
Category: Metaverse Year: 2009 Rating: 7

On December 26, 2009 Time Magazine announced superstar video-game designer Will Wright as its latest Person of the Year award recipient. Racking up multiple billions in sales for the recent releases of The Sims 3 (2009) and Spore (Sept. 2008) Wright conclusively asserted the dominance of massively multi-player online video games and, more importantly, ushered in the new era of Work/Play.
It’s almost impossible to walk into a school or a McDonald’s without immediately spotting some real-world manifestation of either Spore or The Sims. Custom trading cards, t-shirts, iPhone sleeves, iPhone flash games and hyper-viral 3D printouts featuring creatures generated in-game have become as pervasive as Pound Puppies at the peak of their craze eons ago. At the same time, this new marketing/merchandising phenomenon has also created a new class of millionaire creature, avatar and world designers with a median age of just sixteen years, thus irrevocably spreading the notion that pro-sumerism (consumers becoming micro-producers) and serious games as a potent economic force are for real. Thanks to Wright, no one on this planet will ever again look at the gaming the same way.
(cont.)

Of course, Wright is the brilliant poster-child of a broader User-Generated Content shift that traces it’s roots back to the launch of Linden Labs’ Second Life”, a pervasive open-ended virtual world that has of late showed signs of a possible resurgence. But it is undeniable that he is a cut above when it comes to blending function with fun.

Runners-up for Person of the Year 2009 included life scientist Craig Ventner (for his applied artificial life-forms), exponentialist Raymond Kurzweil (for popularizing the concept of Acceleration) and iPhone brainiac Steve Jobs (for designing such a popular hand-held mini-computer that it now rivals the PC market).

http://memebox.com/futureblogger/show/219

:mello::mello:

Fact check: nice try, but how come the article is dated March 21, 2008? I think this is a misprint. Especially since the iPhone was a possible choice last year, not this. The source is also about the future and what is MIGHT bring, not factual info.

Back