Um, Murray Did The AEG Medical/Physical For Michael? *UPDATE LAST POST*

Re: Um, Murray Did The AEG Medical/Physical For Michael?

I don´t know. If this is true then it could make sence actually. Since then is Nancy Grace a reliable source.

Insomniac Michael Jackson begged for sedative
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/peop...7c.html?page=1
Michael Jackson was so distraught over persistent insomnia in recent months that he pleaded for a powerful sedative despite warnings it could be harmful, says a nutritionist who was working with the singer as he prepared his comeback bid.
Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse whose specialty includes nutritional counselling, said on Tuesday that she repeatedly rejected his demands for the drug, Diprivan, which is given intravenously.
But a frantic phone call she received from Jackson four days before his death made her fear that he somehow obtained Diprivan or another drug to induce sleep, Lee said.
While in Florida on June 21, Lee was contacted by a member of Jackson's staff.
"He called and was very frantic and said, 'Michael needs to see you right away.' I said, 'What's wrong?' And I could hear Michael in the background ..., 'One side of my body is hot, it's hot, and one side of my body is cold. It's very cold,"' Lee said.
"I said, 'Tell him he needs to go the hospital. I don't know what's going on, but he needs to go to the hospital ... right away.'
"At that point I knew that somebody had given him something that hit the central nervous system," she said, adding, "He was in trouble Sunday and he was crying out."
Jackson did not go to the hospital. He died June 25 after suffering cardiac arrest, his family said. Autopsies have been conducted, but an official cause of death is not expected for several weeks.
"I don't know what happened there. The only thing I can say is he was adamant about this drug," Lee said.
Following Jackson's death, allegations emerged that the 50-year-old King of Pop had been consuming painkillers, sedatives and antidepressants. But Lee said she encountered a man tortured by sleep deprivation and one who expressed opposition to recreational drug use.
"He wasn't looking to get high or feel good and sedated from drugs," she said. "This was a person who was not on drugs. This was a person who was seeking help, desperately, to get some sleep, to get some rest."
Jackson was rehearsing hard for what would have been his big comeback - his This Is It tour, a series of performances that would have strained his aging dancer's body. Also, pain had been a part of his life since 1984, when his scalp was severely burned during a Pepsi commercial shoot.
Several months ago, Jackson had begun badgering Lee about Diprivan, also known as Propofol, Lee said. It is an intravenous anaesthetic drug widely used in operating rooms to induce unconsciousness. It is generally given through an IV needle in the hand.
Patients given Propofol take less time to regain consciousness than those administered certain other drugs, and they report waking up more clear-headed and refreshed, said University of Chicago psychopharmacologist James Zacny.
It has also been implicated in drug abuse, with people using it to "chill out" or to commit suicide, Zacny said. Accidental deaths linked to abuse have been reported. The powerful drug has a very narrow therapeutic window, meaning it doesn't take doses much larger than the medically recommended amount to stop a person's breathing.
An overdose that stops breathing can result in a buildup of carbon dioxide, causing the heart to beat erratically and leading to cardiac arrest, said Dr John Dombrowski, a member of the board of directors of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
Because it is given intravenously and is not the kind of prescription drug typically available from pharmacists, abuse cases have involved anesthesiologists, nurses and other hospital staffers with easy access to the drug, Zacny said.
In recent months, Lee said, Jackson waved away her warnings about it.
"I had an IV and when it hit my vein, I was sleeping. That's what I want," Lee said Jackson told her.
"I said, 'Michael, the only problem with you taking this medication' - and I had a chill in my body and tears in my eyes three months ago - 'the only problem is you're going to take it and you're not going to wake up," she recalled.
According to Lee, Jackson said it had been given to him before but he didn't want to discuss the circumstances or identify the doctor involved.
The singer also drew his own distinctions when it came to drugs versus prescription medicine.
"He said, 'I don't like drugs. I don't want any drugs. My doctor told me this is a safe medicine,"' Lee said. The next day, she said she brought a copy of the Physician's Desk Reference to show him the section on Diprivan.
"He said, 'No, my doctor said it's safe. It works quick and it's safe as long as somebody's here to monitor me and wake me up. It's going to be OK,"' Lee said. She said he did not give the doctor's name.
Lee said at one point, she spent the night with Jackson to monitor him while he slept. She said she gave him herbal remedies and stayed in a corner chair in his vast bedroom.
After he settled in bed, Lee told Jackson to turn down the lights and music - he had classical music playing in the house. "He also had a computer on the bed because he loved Walt Disney," she said. "He was watching Donald Duck and it was ongoing. I said, 'Maybe if we put on softer music,' and he said, 'No, this is how I go to sleep."'
Three and a half hours later, Jackson jumped up and looked at Lee, eyes wide open, according to Lee. "This is what happens to me," she quoted him as saying. "All I want is to be able to sleep. I want to be able to sleep eight hours. I know I'll feel better the next day."
Lee, 56, is licensed as a registered nurse and nurse practitioner in California, according to the state Board of Registered Nursing's Web site. She attended Los Angeles Southwest College and the Charles Drew University of Medicine and Sciences in Los Angeles.
Comedian Dick Gregory, who knows Lee and her work, said he believes Jackson's insomnia had its roots in the pop star's 2005 trial on child molestation charges. Jackson's health had deteriorated so much that his parents called Gregory, a natural foods proponent, for help.
Gregory said Jackson wasn't eating or drinking at the time, and after he was persuaded by Gregory to undergo testing, ended up hospitalised for severe dehydration.
But Jackson obviously was healthy enough to withstand the level of medical scrutiny needed to insure him for the upcoming high-stakes London concerts, Gregory said. "That you don't trick," he said of the exams.
AP
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/peop...7c.html?page=1

I thought that the rumor about Dr. Murray being around in 2006 was not true, because he (Michael) was out of the country until December 2006 and also that he would not call a cardiologist for his kids, more likely a ped. Also, on another site that believes Michael is still alive, they say that Dr. Murray had been in the picture for only 11 days before his death. Supposedly he put out a letter to his patients that effective June 15 he would be working with Michael.

What is the deal with this Murray doc?

But then he was also signed on -- once Michael Jackson signed on to do this tour with AEG, he was going to be his personal physician for that. He apparently conducted this very long, extensive physical that Michael Jackson underwent for that, getting him ready for this. And he was on call for Michael Jackson during his last hours, as well.
Hmm..."apparently". Does this mean that Lance actually has some knowledge that it was Murray who conducted the physicals, or is he just assuming that that was part of what he was hired for?

Hmm..."apparently". Does this mean that Lance actually has some knowledge that it was Murray who conducted the physicals, or is he just assuming that that was part of what he was hired for?

I think Lance needs to clarify her statement because if this is true (which we don't know) then this changes everything... and I do mean everything. I'm gonna snoop around for a email address and write her.

Here's what I think.

If Murry was the one who did the physical, and if was hired by the AEG, and got paid 140,000 a month, then its plausible to say that the AEG wanted everything a hush hush. Because if they used another doctor that was not on the AEG pay roll, they might not have had the say in what this doctor says or does.

Murry was the Perfect candidate. Since he wouldn't get paid if he doesn't follow their "orders", he has to be the one to do it.

this thing is Messed up Y'all. I feel like i'm watching one of those lifetime movies. almost everything is out in the open but there's more to come out. They wont be hiding anymore I don't think.

Is it possible that more than 1 insurance policy was taken out by AEG?

But Jackson obviously was healthy enough to withstand the level of medical scrutiny needed to insure him for the upcoming high-stakes London concerts, Gregory said. "That you don't trick," he said of the exams.

I find this quite ironic given what has happened to Michael.

Is it possible that more than 1 insurance policy was taken out by AEG?

Yes. According to Randy Phillips:

"We had insurance in place to cover the majority of our hard costs but not lost profits," Phillips says. "There is a lot of litigation going on in terms of negotiations with vendors. I would say the number [in hard costs] is somewhere probably between $20 million [and] $25 million. It was done out of insurance brokerage Robertson Taylor, and I'm sure since it was Lloyds it was multiple carriers."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news...s-randy-phillips-talks-about-1003990387.story

I really hope you're right. Because if this is true then this ish is deeper than we could ever have imagined.

But if it is true, then what?

i really really dont think its true

people that work in insurance werent all born yesterday. there are regulations with these things, there would be a massive conflict of interest

sounds like total crap

I apologize Trish for the confusion of Art Harris and Mike Brooks. I did watch the first 10 minutes of the show and thought it was Harris. I turned the channel because I couldn't keep watching all the speculation and from these type of people. I don't know who or what to believe anymore.

I personally don't see the insurer using Dr. Murray to conduct the physical on Michael, conflict of interest there. It would be the norm for them to use there own person and not some one who is affiliated with Michael Jackson. But as with everything that has been said in this case, its become so hard to know whats truth and whats fiction.

I find this quite ironic given what has happened to Michael.
I don´t want to start a quarrel or anything here but I think if the nurse is right then it could actually explain everything. Including who he could pass the physical test.

I personally don't see the insurer using Dr. Murray to conduct the physical on Michael, conflict of interest there. It would be the norm for them to use there own person and not some one who is affiliated with Michael Jackson. But as with everything that has been said in this case, its become so hard to know whats truth and whats fiction.

Not necessarily true. I'm fairly sure they will allow the person to use their own doctor due to confidentiality and comfort/discretion. Michael could have simply requested that he stick with the same Doc for all physicals. Usually as long as the doctor has all their credentials in order and completes all the paperwork it's okay. (also saves money for the insurer not having to dispatch a Dr).

IF it turns out that Murray was the one who conducted the physicals then not only is that a conflict of interest... but if it comes out that fraud was also apparent... then well this whole thing will get far messier... than it already is.

*sighs*

I don´t want to start a quarrel or anything here but I think if the nurse is right then it could actually explain everything. Including who he could pass the physical test.
u hit the nail on tha damn head

I agree with elusive- surely the insurer would have their own doctors. I find this interesting though- if true, yes, a major conflict of interest and far deeper than we ever imagined :unsure:

well it was said murray hadn'tbeen 'officially' on the aeg payroll for more than 11 days. so if he was the one who did the physical and then somehow came to work for mj....or it was arranged...scratch our backs we scratch urs type of thing.

it's just funny how more and more keep coming out

That reporter said APPARENTLY. He does not know this as a fact.

Dr. Murray did not perform those physicals because Dr. Murray is not a representative of the insurance company. I can almost bet you the insurance company sent their own doctors to examine Michael. They would not have used Dr. Murray. So I doubt if what this reporter is saying is true.
I worked for insurance carriers for years....I know.

And I think that these physicals are gonna end up being very valuable to this investigation. If they show that Michael truly was in good physical shape, then that will knock down all of Rowe's claims and other claims that Michael was not ready for this tour or that he was drugged up.

This is a straight up BALD-HEADED LIE! Fa' real. If you guys think for one second that lloyd of london allowed murry to do this test then I just don't know what to say. NO insurance company is gonna be that dumb to go along with that. Now you can post up here that aeg PAID off lloyd of london's doctor and I might go for that. But please...allowing murry to do it?! They might as well not have even conducted the test and just signed off on the paper to insure michael. LIke his own doctor was gonna fail him. Come on guys. Lets think here for a second. These talkings heads are just as out of the loop as we are only worse. Let not buy into anything we hear. IMO!

Thats like getting house insurance from state farm and instead of state farm sending out one of their inspectors to check out your house, they allow you to get your own and then give you insurance once your guys says your house is not a piece of junk. Now tell me what insurance company, as cheap as they are, does that????

insurance companies are the biggest thieves out there other than the govt.
1.uncle sam
2. insurance companies
3. credit card companies/ or my aunt's church cuz they are forever asking for money to go towards a building fund, yet I haven't seen them break ground for no damn building.

I will be glad when the tox reports come in so things can be put to rest and if need be a certain doctor or doctors will be arrested

Lloyds of london is a syndicate of (lots of) companies sharing the risk... so they're minimizing the risk for the ones involved as they always share.

If Dr. Murray did the physicals then the insurance must have accepted him. At least the insurance who signed the coverage. (I saw coverage of only 3 million yet confirmed by insurance while R. P. is always talking about a number of 17.5 million).

In March/April it was still talked around insurers that Michaels concerts is a 'high risk business' and R.P. will finally have to do 'self insurance through AEG' (no idea how that works then).

If Lloyds will pay or not is dependent strictly on what was known (and on record) when they signed the police(s?).

An overdose is USUALLY only covered by insurance if the use of that drug/medication is on the record of the physical.
That would mean the risk was known at that time... and in the following the insurance price for AEG would be immensely more expensive.

You can find the links to where I take this from in this thread if interested...
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71183

as I said I tend to promise to eat a broomstick if the Lloyds syn will pay... they will have several ways to get out... on the other hand I see only a coverage of 3m confirmed yet and that's for the syn. only what they would probably call 'peanuts'.

Yeah, I remember reading that insurance only covered the first 10 shows and AEG would "self insure"..Phillips said this but I dont know what self insure would mean exactly?

A couple of weeks ago on CNN(?!), Randy Phillips said the name of the doctor who made the medical for Michael... and it was not Dr. Murray.

I'm 100 sure I have that clip somewhere on my hard drive.

Hmm, check this article out :

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/MichaelJackson/story?id=8015721&page=1

Jackson's $25M Concert Insurance Could Take Months to Sort Out

Concert Promoter AEG's Insurance Payout Hinges on Death Determination, Coverage Argument

By RICHARD ESPOSITO and ALICE GOMSTYN
July 6, 2009

ABC News has learned that concert promoter AEG purchased a $25 million insurance policy to cover its now-cancelled series of Michael Jackson concerts but that it will take months to determine whether the company will actually receive a payout.

The policy was brokered by Robertson Taylor, a top U.K. broker for nonappearance insurance -- which provides coverage in case of a performer's absence -- and was underwritten by a syndicate led by Lloyd's of London and including both U.S. and U.K. nonappearance underwriters, a highly-placed source within the insurance industry told ABC News. Robertson Taylor would not confirm the size and details of the policy.

Whether AEG receives payment from its insurers depends on the reading of the insurance policy: AEG may argue that Jackson's death was covered as long as it's not deemed a suicide or that the star died after self-administering prescribed medications. The insurance companies, meanwhile, could argue that death from self-administering prescribed medications is not covered.

It could take months for AEG and the companies to come to an agreement.

As the insurance wrangling continues, new attention has been turned to a critical part of the underwriting process for nonappearance insurance: The physical examination, also known as a "cast" exam.

AEG CEO Randy Phillips told ABC News that Jackson's physical lasted five hours and included a "battery of tests."

Industry sources tell ABC News say that the policy of administering of such exams is flawed. While cast examinations are supposed to be performed by independent physicians, the doctors are often star struck and gloss over the exams to help the star feel more comfortable.

Insurance brokers often ask that insurers use physicians already familiar with the patient -- that is, one of the star's own doctors -- and insurers, who cite competitive pressures as a reason, often concur.

It's unclear what relationship, if any, Jackson had with the physician who performed his exam.

AEG's troubles following Jackson's death have shone a spotlight behind the stage and onto some of the most risk-prone players in the music industry: concert promoters.

Jackson, Other Stars Lead to Promoter Headaches

Even before Jackson's death, music, insurance and legal circles were buzzing about the risk that concert promoter AEG Live was taking on by staging Jackson's 50-concert London series.
"He's been sued so many times, was known not to show up, had health problems, and was believed to have drug problem," a Jackson associate told ABCNews.com. "Nobody would touch him."

Jackson's dubious reputation stemmed from no fewer than three lawsuits filed against him by concert promoters angry about concert cancellations, as well as worries that the pop star was addicted to Demerol, OxyContin and other drugs.
AEG's Jackson woes aside, experts and industry watchers say that, generally, what makes concert promotion such as risky business is concerns about ticket sales. Because the profit margins for promoters are so slim -- generally in the range of five percent or less -- they rely on close-to-capacity crowds to stay in the black.
"It can be very expensive," said Gary Bongiovanni, the editor of the concert magazine Pollstar. "Lots of promoters are gamblers by nature."

But, sometimes, as Jackson's case has shown, ticket sales take a back seat to other problems. While a death like Jackson's represents the worst-case scenario, everything from minor illnesses to major health problems to security concerns have scuttled big concerts.
Security concerns have loomed especially large at hip hop concerts, in particular. In 2002, for instance, police shut down a rap concert featuring L.L. Cool J, Nelly and Ja Rule, and arrested 30 people after suspected gang members attacked audience members with metal pipes. Last year, in Washington State, riotous fans overturned a police car during a concert by the rap duo Dead Prez.
Rap and hip hop concerts can attract "gang-mentality types of people," said Eric Moody, an entertainment insurance broker at Frankel & Associates Insurance Services in California.
"They're a lot more prone to fights and disputes," he said.

The Show Must Go On?

Then there are the concerts that get axed because stars are battling their own demons. Hard-partying British singer Amy Winehouse, for instance, cancelled a May 31 comeback show and may be returning to rehab, according to the Daily Mirror. Winehouse had previously pulled out of concerts in 2007 and 2008. (A U.S. representative for Winehouse said fans are notified of her concert cancellations in advance and "there's never been a situation where people paid for a show and arrived and she cancelled.")
Rapper DMX, Moody said, is also notorious for cancelling shows.
"He's just a temperamental artist and he cancels a lot of shows," Moody said. "It's quite annoying."

A representative for DMX could not be reached for comment.
Illnesses, meanwhile, can force concert cancellations among even the most determined performers. In 1987, for instance, singing during a rain shower in Italy reportedly brought on a case of laryngitis for the legendary crooner Frank Sinatra, who then ended up cancelling a concert two days later. In 2006, the Rolling Stones canceled a concert in St. Petersburg, Russia, after guitarist Keith Richard suffered a head injury.
Jackson's sister, singer Janet Jackson, had her own concert troubles after suffering from a rare form of migraine headache, the singer told the entertainment TV show "The Insider." The headaches led the singer to postpone dates on her "Rock Witchu" tour last year.
When a performer does pull out of a show, he or she often is able to find an amicable resolution with the promoters by re-scheduling the concert, said Jerry Mickelson, the owner of Chicago-based Jam Productions.
"If the performer didn't show up, they'll typically make it up," Mickelson said. "It's a business -- they can't afford to cancel. They need the money just like anybody else."
Jackson, however, had a poor history of reconciling with promoters -- when he cancelled shows, he often wound up in court. In 1993, promoter Marcel Avram, the owner of Munich-based Mama Concert, sued Jackson for $20 million for cancelling his "Dangerous" world tour. The suit alleged that the singer hid an addiction to morphine and Demerol.
The following year, a Chilean promotions company sued Jackson for $5 million for canceling two concerts, one in Chile and another in Peru. The company said Jackson cancelled because of a "back ache" but a lawyer for the company told the media that they didn't believe the excuse.
In 2000, Avram took Jackson to court again, this time suing the pop star for $21.2 million for pulling out of two New Year's Eve concerts. Those cancelled concerts, Avram alleged, left him $11 million in the red and resulted in another $10 million in lost profits.
But such a litigious history and Jackson's reported health problems weren't enough to scare off AEG. Concert organizers told ABC News they believed Jackson was ready for the 50-show run, especially given the careful way this particular concert series was organized.
"We are talking about 50 shows in one city, no travel and living in a beautiful estate in London," AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips said. "He was going to average two and a quarter shows a week

Taking Major Pains for a Major Star

Limiting the stress on Jackson's schedule was one of many, some would say, extraordinary precautions AEG took to make sure its star was stage-ready. At the pop star's request, AEG paid for Jackson's personal cardiologist to accompany him in London.
Jackson "looked me in the eye [and said], 'Look, this is the machine,' pointing to his body. 'This is the machine, that fuels this entire business, OK? ... I need a doctor 24/7,'" Phillips told ABC News.

Organizers also monitored Jackson's eating habits.
Choreographer Kenny Ortega "would cut his chicken breast and feed him," Phillips said. " ...In the last week, I brought in someone whose sole purpose was to remind him to eat. That was my biggest concern, was his weight."
AEG's purchase of a multi-million dollar policy for the concerts was another precaution, albeit not an uncommon one by some standards.
Experts say that while promoters may be loathe to shell out money to buy insurance for smaller acts, it's not unusual for promoters to buy cancellation and "non-appearance" insurance -- which specifically protects against a performer's absence -- for major stars. That, after all, is when millions of dollars are at stake.
Cancellation and non-appearance insurance can run tens of thousands of dollars per show, Moody said.
But, he added, "even if they paid $100,000 per concert for the cancellation and non-appearance, it's still worth it for a mega-headliner."
While AEG hasn't said how much it paid for Jackson's insurance, experts say that Jackson's history likely meant the company had to pay fairly high premiums.
Jackson "was basically blacklisted from doing concerts" without the benefit of a high-cost insurance, a Jackson associate told ABCNews.com.
For non-appearance insurance, in particular, underwriters require performers to undergo physicals. Jackson's physical lasted five hours and included "a battery of tests," Phillips told ABC News.

Insurance Uncertainty

Both the physical and a star's history will determine how much an insurance company charges, said Candysse Miller, the executive director of the Insurance Information Network of California.
"Whether it's an entertainer, a car or home, [insurance is about] trying to somehow put a dollar value on the risk," Miller said. "If I live on top of the San Andreas fault, I'm going to pay a lot more for earthquake insurance."

But even high-priced insurance isn't a safe bet. In 2005, Britney Spears and her tour production company, Britney Spears Touring Inc., sued eight different insurance companies after they declined to compensate her for about $9.8 million in losses for shows canceled in Chicago and Detroit. Spears canceled the shows because of a knee injury, but insurers declined her claim, alleging she failed to report having had knee surgery five years earlier.
The insurers argued that they would have denied coverage in the first place had they known about the surgery.
The case was eventually dismissed; Spears' lawyer would not comment on whether a settlement had been reached with the singer.
How much AEG will recover through the insurance policies on its Jackson concerts, meanwhile, remains unclear. AEG's Phillips told the Associated Press that the company will receive an insurance payout if Jackson is determined to have died of accidental causes, including a drug overdose. But natural causes of death, Phillips said, won't be covered.
Even under a full, $25 million payout, AEG wouldn't recover all its costs -- Phillips told the Associated Press he spent $25 to $30 million on Jackson's advance, while Billboard reports that AEG sunk as much as $30 million into concert production costs.
The company could, however, break even, thanks to sentimental fans. Phillips said that 40 percent to 50 percent of concert ticket-buyers have decided to forego full refunds. They're keeping their unused tickets as memorabilia instead.
ABC News' Eileen Murphy and Nathalie Tadena contributed to this report.

Last edited:

Industry sources tell ABC News say that the policy of administering of such exams is flawed. While cast examinations are supposed to be performed by independent physicians, the doctors are often star struck and gloss over the exams to help the star feel more comfortable.

Insurance brokers often ask that insurers use physicians already familiar with the patient -- that is, one of the star's own doctors -- and insurers, who cite competitive pressures as a reason, often concur.

It's unclear what relationship, if any, Jackson had with the physician who performed his exam.

That is VERY interesting!

Hey, didn't Randy Phillips state in an article that Michael was about to undergo a second exam/physical? If Murray didn't do the first one, maybe he did the second?

That is VERY interesting!

Hey, didn't Randy Phillips state in an article that Michael was about to undergo a second exam/physical? If Murray didn't do the first one, maybe he did the second?
I could see they might use someone's personal physician -- but not if he was working for the prospective insured party! I know we heard some reports that Murray was supposed to have been hired by AEG, but the paperwork hadn't been finalized, and he was complaining that he hadn't been paid. I wonder whether he was officially an AEG employee at any point or not?

maybe they did that for a reason. wait till he did the second physical before officially putting him on teh payroll. so they could use that as a loophole for the physical.

hmmmmmmmmm

maybe they did that for a reason. wait till he did the second physical before officially putting him on teh payroll. so they could use that as a loophole for the physical.

hmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, all depends on the timing of Murray's contract with AEG

CNN just reported that Murray became Michael's doctor in May.

Back