Unpopular opinions about MJ’s music?

I love Cry. The bass at the end is killer but it's not mixed well, surprisingly considering MJs sonic perfection there are tracks on Invincible that mixed differently could've been far greater.

Heal The World has so much suggar that my teeth cringles everytime I hear the song... The song is nothing but a calculated move and playing on feelings...

The Jacksons

I think Mike should have remained in The Jacksons and alternate between group & solo albums like Phil Collins did with Genesis.

Here are some...

- Triumph was a nearly perfect album, and the song Everybody is hugely under-hyped
- Michael's perfectionism made him over-work some of his songs - the girl is mine was better as a demo
- The 1977-1980 songs were Michael's best :love:
- The "beggar boy" line in SIM is unfortunate
- The Will you be there dance is the best one

^^^

What is the problem with the beggar boy line? - english is not my first language.

I agree TGIM demo is better - mostly because it's MJ solo.

DuranDuran;4311666 said:
I think Mike should have remained in The Jacksons and alternate between group & solo albums like Phil Collins did with Genesis.

I believe that each case should be treated separately.

Just because Phil Collins did that with the Genesis, this does not mean that Michael Jackson should have done the same thing with The Jacksons.

It would have been catastrophic for Michael Jackson if he remained in The Jacksons and he alternated between group and solo albums.

He would have wasted his time and potential with them, meaning he would not have been able to focus on his solo career, and thus he would not have become what he became as a very successful solo artist.

His brothers added virtually nothing to his value, and Michael Jackson should have left them much earlier.

Smooth72;4311472 said:
Invincible is over produced and should have had more real instrumentation.

This is not really an unpopular opinion.

I quite often come across fans’ comments that ‘Invincible’ is over-produced and it should have had more real instrumentation.

For example, many fans prefer the ‘Threatened’ song with real instrumentation (which is briefly played on the ‘This Is It’ film) to the song’s album version.

i love Invincible but i think the reason it didn't have real instruments in it was because he wanted to do something different. the early 2000's was when music started to change once again. it wasn't the 90's anymore.

WHE is endlessly overrated.

vocals are great though.

i respect your opinion but how? this song wasn't even release on the radio only on the ultimate collection. i think the reason it's hype is the fact it have a great message. this song could of been use for BLM and injustice for racism etc.

Here are some...

- Triumph was a nearly perfect album, and the song Everybody is hugely under-hyped
- Michael's perfectionism made him over-work some of his songs - the girl is mine was better as a demo
- The 1977-1980 songs were Michael's best :love:
- The "beggar boy" line in SIM is unfortunate
- The Will you be there dance is the best one

WIll you be there choreography is so underrated. It's so moving.

I don't like Be Not Always.

The acoustic version of freddie playing piano while MJ is singing There Must Be More To Life Than This is one of his greatest songs and greatest vocal delivery.

Girlfriend is a cute song
Just Good Friends is a really fun song that gets way too much hate

Michael's adult solo albums gets more praise than his J5 and Jacksons days. i swear they hardly talk about years like the early 80's like the triumph era which was off the wall era mix with pre thriller era.

i'm not sure what would happen if Michael deicide to stay with his brothers after thriller. i mean look at 2300 Jackson Street. people only brought the album for michael few verses. i love the song. but you can tell he didn't want to do it.

him and his brothers always had bad and good relationship. we all have family problems. but you get what i'm saying.

Girlfriend is a cute song
Just Good Friends is a really fun song that gets way too much hate

Girlfriend is a cute song though michael didn't write it it was paul mccartney song and he gave it to him to sing. i don't understand girlfriend. is it about him having affair with this girl? i could be wrong. but it sounds that way.

OMG! i love just good friends! i don't understand why alot people don't like it. it's cute and have stevie wonder in it. come on. i guess it kind of stand out alittle. but i still love the song. :)

Re: The Jacksons

I believe that each case should be treated separately.

Just because Phil Collins did that with the Genesis, this does not mean that Michael Jackson should have done the same thing with The Jacksons.

It would have been catastrophic for Michael Jackson if he remained in The Jacksons and he alternated between group and solo albums.

He would have wasted his time and potential with them, meaning he would not have been able to focus on his solo career, and thus he would not have become what he became as a very successful solo artist.

His brothers added virtually nothing to his value, and Michael Jackson should have left them much earlier.
I did not ask for what you think. The thread is called "unpopular opinions" and that is mine. You just proved it is unpopular with your comment. I don't care about "commercial value" or whether you think they add anything, that's your opinion. I care about the music and I actually like The Jacksons/Jackson 5, unlike some people here. I have all of Jermaine's solo albums and I wish he hadn't of left the group either. But Jermaine did later return and did 2 albums with the group while still releasing solo albums.

As far as Mike's solo career goes, he didn't have much of one. After Thriller, he released 4 albums in a 27 year period. So being in The Jacksons wouldn't have made much of a difference in him releasing his solo albums. On Motown, in some years, there were multiple albums. So Mike released more albums in a 7 year period on Motown, than the 33 years on CBS/Sony, including The Jacksons albums. Plus there's still over 200 unreleased songs on Motown.

everyone has their own opinions but at the end of the day we all just fans. while michael loved his fans he was his own person with his own ideas whatever we liked them or not. it probably took michael a long time to release an album but at the sametime he was a genius. alot of geniuses take longer to produce things so they can make it "perfect". also michael had darn life too.

Black & White is overrated. i love the song message but it's overrated. so is Thriller. love the song and short film.

BOW is so repetitive... can't stand listening to it. But Thriller is great, it's a shame he never fully performed it live since the bridge is the best part of the song.

This has challenged my thinking. I have never... really thought about 'if i like J5, The Jacksons' or not. But, come to think of it, after getting to know the Jackson family, the Jackson brothers do have their own appeal to draw an audience, and the sisters.

Anna;4311758 said:
Do you actually need it spelled out or something...?

Yes! Please spell it out because this makes no sense whatsoever. I’m really trying to understand the logic here.

In itself, nothing. It's a lovely line and the song is definitely in my top 5 favorites. But because of that line only, it's not the song I would for example recommend to someone who is on the fence about Michael.

Don't forget the name of the thread

- The Way You Make Me Feel is a good song, but it isn't a great song.
- Michael's best song with Paul McCartney is The Man.
- Triumph and Destiny albums are as good as any solo MJ album.
- Morning Glow is one of Michael's best songs.
- Farewell My Summer Love is a very underrated album.
- Releasing Come Together on History seem pointless.

Coming after the abuse allegation.

Back in the day when I had doubts that line used to bug me.

I think you are looking too deep into this. It was nothing but a random line about some beggar boy calling his name. Would it bother you if MJ said beggar girl instead of beggar boy?

Do you actually need it spelled out or something...?

This isn't the first time you've used a condescending tone to users on this site, and the fact you've now done it to me means I'm going to call you out on it.

So yes, please, 'spell it out for me'.

Back