Unreleased HIStory cuts?

Not entirely correct, although if so, not all of them are from the 90s demo we have. There are some lines in the album version of Earth Song that are re-recorded and different compared to the same lines in the 90s demo.

As for if MJ re-recorded Little Susie and TDCAU just for the HIstory album, who knows? Unless you have some source.

I know that some lines are different from "What About Us", but maybe there are other takes from 1990. In Joe Vogel's book, he said or he quoted some engineer, that Little Susie and They Don't Care About Us were both recorded in early HIStory sessions. Also in that book he said that Earth Song was recorded during Dangerous sessions and that Michael had to record final ad-libs few days before they wrapped the album in 1995.

Also it's impossible that he sang "I have a wife and two children who love me" line before he met Lisa Marie.

He started writing the song then, but the final lyrics are definitely from 1994.

"Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me off my pride...

I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came..."

Yeah, i'm not disputing that at all (for all we know those lyrics could have been written back then too). But the fact is, he recorded the song before he met with Bryan Loren. Rob Hoffman said that Michael was not satisfied with the bridge til they made the HIStory version.

As to the I have a wife and two children, i doubt that MJ was talking about himself.

Lisa Marie, she had 2 children when she married Michael.

I know that, but for some reason i still don't believe that he was referring to himself with that line. But you are right the favors are in your side, as he was married and had two children at that time.

I want to hear that early version of TDCAU, i wonder how different it is from the released..

I know that, but for some reason i still don't believe that he was referring to himself with that line. But you are right the favors are in your side, as he was married and had two children at that time.

I want to hear that early version of TDCAU, i wonder how different it is from the released..

Of course, I would like to hear all early versions. I think it is something like that Jam rough Demo that leaked few weeks ago. I think he had melody and chorus and maybe some lyrics. But in my opinion final lyrics (especially those lines I quoted) were written after false allegations and marriage.

TDCAU was done during HIStory. The "2 kids" line gives that away entirely.

wasn't a song called Susie written in the late 1970's? was this the early version of what evolved into Little Susie possibly? @AlwaysThere :D hehe

Themidwestcowboy;3957169 said:
They Don't Care About Us could have even been recorded earlier than that

"We actually did the finishing work on ‘Superfly Sister’ from ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ a few years after I’d already done the track, as this was a song that I started writing during the ‘Dangerous’ sessions. Which made me feel it was always possible that we might revist some of the other music we’d started all that time ago. This was not unusual for Michael, as in the case of ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ from the ‘History’ album. This was a song that he’d started even before I joined him for 'Dangerous'. One of the first things I heard was this song, but it got bumped at that time."
- Bryan Loren

Who knows, it could have been intended for, perhaps Decade?.. It's just so mind boggling how ahead MJ was. Really

Thanks for that quote! Never saw it before. If I'm correct, Bryan Loren joined Michael in late 1989, just after it was decided that Decade wouldn't be released, so it could definitely have been recorded sometime that summer.

TDCAU was done as TDCAU during HIStory. The "2 kids" line gives that away entirely. I imagine it was re-worked to fit what happened to him and different worldwide events.

Thanks for that quote! Never saw it before. If I'm correct, Bryan Loren joined Michael in late 1989, just after it was decided that Decade wouldn't be released, so it could definitely have been recorded sometime that summer.

Yeah! I don't know if you have followed another thread i created but i sorta pitched an idea that MJ wanted to do a Military short film (Captain EO-esque) around that time based on what he said in The Private Home Videos. Those moves ended up in Rhythm Nation as we all know...

I honestly can't believe that with the allegations Michael didn't write/record scores of material. I always thought he did. I'd love to hear the solo version of Why though, love that song. Think a solo MJJ version would be brilliant.

Yeah! I don't know if you have followed another thread i created but i sorta pitched an idea that MJ wanted to do a Military short film (Captain EO-esque) around that time based on what he said in The Private Home Videos. Those moves ended up in Rhythm Nation as we all know...

I haven't read that thread yet! I'll go check it out now :)

I honestly can't believe that with the allegations Michael didn't write/record scores of material. I always thought he did. I'd love to hear the solo version of Why though, love that song. Think a solo MJJ version would be brilliant.

I agree. At first I expected HIStory to have the most amount of releasable tracks, though I now know that this isn't the case.

Unfortunately, there isn't a solo MJ version of Why. One of the brothers in 3T (I think it was Taryll) said that Michael had only recorded the chorus by the time he gave them the song.

I see so the Blood on the dance floor songs are actually History outtakes. So you telling me Mike thought songs like Ghosts / Is it scary and BOTDF where not good enough for History...?

They probably just didn't fit with the flow of the album

And They Don't Care About Us... and Come Together (recorded in 1988, so not really the Dangerous sessions). Damn, Michael really love the Dangerous outtakes, didn't he? :p

Come Together was recorded in '85

Awhile ago, an auction on eBay for worktapes from the HIStory sessions popped up

Bombay Nights
You Cry
Evil Eye (March 1994)
Face
Fear
Revenge
The Best Thing (February 1994)
Family Thing
Much Too Soon (1994 Version)
Ask Rene
In The Back (released in 2004 on The Ultimate Collection)
Is It Scary (released in 1997 on Blood On The Dancefloor: HIStory In The Mix)
Morphine (released in 1997 on Blood On The Dancefloor: HIStory In The Mix)
Bassouille
Cry/You Cry

Family Thing and Is It Scary, as we know, were for the Addam's Family Values/Is It Scary projects

Awhile ago, an auction on eBay for worktapes from the HIStory sessions popped up

Bombay Nights
You Cry
Evil Eye (March 1994)
Face
Fear
Revenge
Family Thing
Ask Rene
Bassouille
Cry/You Cry

Family Thing and Is It Scary, as we know, were for the Addam's Family Values/Is It Scary projects

Really? I wonder if these are legit

Bombay Nights
You Cry
Evil Eye (March 1994)
Face
Fear
Revenge
Family Thing
Ask Rene
Bassouille
Cry/You Cry

If I recall correctly, the seller of these tapes is Korgnex, and he said that tapes like The Best Thing, Evil Eye, Ask Renee, etc didn't have any vocals on them. If anything, they're just grooves.

Come Together was recorded in '85

Really? So Mike had BAD era vocals in 1985 sill pretty much Thriller era. I was thinking of all the Thriller era songs Mike done to see if he uses that 'aggressive' vocal style, none on the Thriller album but then I thought of 'We are here to save the world' in which he uses it on that song and didn't Mike record Another part of me around that time which is considered BAD era vocals? I guess he just had that style all along or found it after recording the Thriller album.

Last edited:
I haven't read that thread yet! I'll go check it out now :)

I agree. At first I expected HIStory to have the most amount of releasable tracks, though I now know that this isn't the case.

Unfortunately, there isn't a solo MJ version of Why. One of the brothers in 3T (I think it was Taryll) said that Michael had only recorded the chorus by the time he gave them the song.

That's disappointing, I always heard that he did the track, then gave it to them. There really isn't that much material from HIStory at all then! If you had to estimate how many tracks what sort of numbers would we be talking?

That's disappointing, I always heard that he did the track, then gave it to them. There really isn't that much material from HIStory at all then! If you had to estimate how many tracks what sort of numbers would we be talking?

Ah, if only I knew! This is the era that I don't know much about. I do know that one of the studio engineers said that there were at the very least three songs that could be released from those sessions (one of which is Much Too Soon). As far as how many songs exist from the HIStory era, that's up for debate.

From those who missed the auction
opgBZzv.jpg

o76VsMh.jpg

This is from producer/songwriter/singer Rene Moore (who worked on Dangerous and HIStory and was one half of the R&B group Rene And Angela)'s storage unit, if I remember the ebay post correctly

That's disappointing, I always heard that he did the track, then gave it to them.

I crave that version IF it exists. I've always loved the song and the only thing that lets it down for me is 3Ts vocals.

I'm not convinced it doesn't exist.

I'd love to hear any music from MJ that we haven't heard and see any performances not yet seen. Since MJ had many concerts taped himself, I would love to see more of what goes on backstage to prepare for a concert including not only MJ, but also the singers and the dancers.

TDCAU was done during HIStory. The "2 kids" line gives that away entirely.
This doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

I always interpreted TDCAU's lyrics as Michael embodying the voices of the oppressed / the "voiceless". The "us". I believe that's how he explained his frustration with people taking issue with the "jew me, sue me / kick me, **** me" line -- because they didn't get it. Similarly, the "wife and two children" line could easily be him taking the role of a stereotypical American family man being treated unfairly because of the color of his skin.

I always found that to be the more obvious interpretation, because Lisa's children weren't technically "his" and he never struck me as the kind of person to just "claim" them like that.

This doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

I always interpreted TDCAU's lyrics as Michael embodying the voices of the oppressed / the "voiceless". The "us". I believe that's how he explained his frustration with people taking issue with the "jew me, sue me / kick me, **** me" line -- because they didn't get it. Similarly, the "wife and two children" line could easily be him taking the role of a stereotypical American family man being treated unfairly because of the color of his skin.

I always found that to be the more obvious interpretation, because Lisa's children weren't technically "his" and he never struck me as the kind of person to just "claim" them like that.

This sounds logical to me but then he does sing lines like ' don't you black or white me' ?

I think he sining for himself and 'the people' ?

I think that's what probably made Dangerous such a creative and special era. As he articulated in his Oprah Interview, he was very much married to his work. And it definitely shows. With marriage in 1994 and specially with kids post 1997, it's not unreasonable or blasphemous in my opinion to say Michael probably wasn't at his peak during the later years; in terms of 100% creative output and general capacity to produce stuff that required 2-3 years of just 100% devotion and creative isolation to do.

Not to say that Michael still didnt have it (comon), but its just impossible to do what he did in his earlier years, in the later years when you have a family and especially the cesspool that was the whole trial era. Also not sure of late 2000-2003/4. Michael just seemed medicated to hell and honestly don't think we will find 10/10 stuff from that era.

Saying this, I'm sure we havent seen a lot of things Michael produced during and post HISTORY and will be interesting if and when they are released/leaked. Bare in mind, the "studio sessions" were much much shorter than Dangerous's (only 6 months).

Stranger in Moscow though, enough said.

Bombay Nights
You Cry
Evil Eye (March 1994)
Face
Fear
Revenge
Family Thing
Ask Rene
Bassouille
Cry/You Cry
Thanks for analyzing what the HIStory unreleased outtakes are. Although I do acknowledge that there is a 'Unreleased tracks' thread, can people talk about HIStory outtakes mainly here?

To update all confirmed outtakes:

Morphine
Is It Scary
On The Line
Much Too Soon (Bruce Swedien Mix)
The Verdict (1994 version)
Faces
Revenge
Family Thing
Family Thing (Bryan Loren mix)
Innocent Man
The Best Thing
Bombay Nights
Evil Eye
Ask Rene 3
Ask DD
Christmas Song
Changes
In The Back
Willing and Waiting
Chicago 1945 (it might've been reworked for HIStory since there's a copyright registration for it from 1995.)

Last edited:
Back