VH1's '100 Greatest Music Artists of All Time', airs September 6, 2010-Vote: post 26.

I love the Beatles, I learned english language with teachers who used their songs in school, but there's nothing comparable in their career with Michael's career ! He really excelled in all parts of his artistry and he has no equal.:wub:

Ummmmm, Michael will always be #1. I feel like I'm not saying it just cause I'm a fan- but because it's true. Michael impacted all races- the Beatles were more of a "white america" group. Nobody in my entire family, from grandparents to great aunts- none of them really like the Beatles- but we love some MJ! lol. I personally don't really have any special feeling towards them or their music- but I understand their contribution to music...they just bore me lol

Can someone please recommend some good Beatles songs for me so I'll know what all the hype is? lol. please!

Ummmmm, Michael will always be #1. I feel like I'm not saying it just cause I'm a fan- but because it's true. Michael impacted all races- the Beatles were more of a "white america" group. Nobody in my entire family, from grandparents to great aunts- none of them really like the Beatles- but we love some MJ! lol. I personally don't really have any special feeling towards them or their music- but I understand their contribution to music...they just bore me lol

Can someone please recommend some good Beatles songs for me so I'll know what all the hype is? lol. please!

Well, it's a little bit hard but there are some classics like "Yesterday" - "Hey Jude" - " Hard day's night" - "Come together" that Michael also sang - and "All you need is love" "Yellow Submarine" -
They have probably impacted music in their time but their career is less than two decades, it wasn't more the same thing when they separated -even if Lennon and McCartney have done great things in solo -
The Michael's career is more than four decades and each time an album was released it was like a discovering of the artist, new sounds, new style - His fans are from all generations, kids, teens, adults enjoy his music - I'm not sure we can tell the same for the Beatles.
One more thing - What do they call an "artist" - Michael was a complete songwriter, even if he didn't play music he was a beatbox - he sang - he danced - he was a choregrapher - he created all his shows, all his shortfilms -

Oh my gosh !!!! AND THEY DARE TO TELL HE'S NOT THE GREATEST ARTIST OF ALL TIME !!!!!!

Well, it's a little bit hard but there are some classics like "Yesterday" - "Hey Jude" - " Hard day's night" - "Come together" that Michael also sang - and "All you need is love" "Yellow Submarine" -
They have probably impacted music in their time but their career is less than two decades, it wasn't more the same thing when they separated -even if Lennon and McCartney have done great things in solo -
The Michael's career is more than four decades and each time an album was released it was like a discovering of the artist, new sounds, new style - His fans are from all generations, kids, teens, adults enjoy his music - I'm not sure we can tell the same for the Beatles.
One more thing - What do they call an "artist" - Michael was a complete songwriter, even if he didn't play music he was a beatbox - he sang - he danced - he was a choregrapher - he created all his shows, all his shortfilms -

Oh my gosh !!!! AND THEY DARE TO TELL HE'S NOT THE GREATEST ARTIST OF ALL TIME !!!!!!

yeah, I've heard Hey Jude and All You Need Is Love :yawn:
But I'll try the other ones u mentioned! Thanks

And yes, I totally agree on everything else u said

Please don't take so seriously the result.The fact that Michael was only 40 th in 1998 shows
the discrediting of their part.Vh1 wanted more rating with their list ,it is all.And in the list there are so bullshit.
When i think also that Diana Ross,Frank Sinatra ,Sam Cooke,Luther Vandross,even Celine Dion,Barry White,Janet Jackson or Smokey Robinson etc are not in :(

Last edited:
I love the Beatles, but I would have it like this

1. MJ
2. The Beatles

VH1 is pretty meaningless to me though, so it doesn't matter. I'm glad they at least put Michael as #2. That's still really good.

When i think also that Diana Ross,Frank Sinatra ,Sam Cooke,Luther Vandross,even Celine Dion,Barry White,Janet Jackson or Smokey Robinson etc are not in :(

:yes:

This is simply a list of the FAVS of other "artists"...and we all know that they ain't all experts. Just their opinions AND they tend to vote for artists in their favorite genre; those they looked up to. Notice how many Rock & Roll Bands were on the list?

Where's the list of the artists who voted??? :scratch:

yeah, I've heard Hey Jude and All You Need Is Love :yawn:
But I'll try the other ones u mentioned! Thanks

And yes, I totally agree on everything else u said

I would say that their songs have of course a sound very "sixties/seventies (peace and love era)" so it's not obvious you could appreciate - nothing to do with Michael style at the same era. Their music worlds are completely opposite. :D

I watched it and I felt like Michael should have been #1 however he is #1 due to The Beatles being a "GROUP". That's my thoughts on all of it.

Maybe someday Michael will be #1 to these so called "Critics".

This is simply a list of the FAVS of other "artists"...and we all know that they ain't all experts. Just their opinions AND they tend to vote for artists in their favorite genre; those they looked up to. Notice how many Rock & Roll Bands were on the list?

I found this on VH1 website :

- Voting was conducted by Shugoll Research. The list was determined by a poll of musicians and music experts. Over 200 artists voted including Alicia Keys, Diddy, Ozzy Osbourne and Carrie Underwood, as well as members of U2, the Police, Metallica and Aerosmith.

:doh:

:bugeyed:bugeyed finally someone who shares the same view as me. I feel their fan base wasn't very diverse. Michael was more of a cross cultural artist. I mean anywhere in the world you went EVERYONE knew who him. Michael had to fight through so many racial barriers unlike the others to get to the magnitude of his success. and like you said above, "he impacted ALL races."

I found this on VH1 website :

- Voting was conducted by Shugoll Research. The list was determined by a poll of musicians and music experts. Over 200 artists voted including Alicia Keys, Diddy, Ozzy Osbourne and Carrie Underwood, as well as member(S) of U2, the Police, Metallica and Aerosmith.

:doh:

:smilerolleyes: Thank U!

I rest my case.

I saw some artist who voted and seriously it is me laughed,a good joke.

Otherwise ,it is difficult also to compare really the artist solo with group.It has to be separate normaly.

Also, Bob Dylan rank as the 2th artist solo ,seriously ? shame to VH1

Sincerly when i think that Michael was only 40 th in 1998 ,it wont be a surprise that in 2022 for VH1 that Mj is not even in the top 50.

Don't forget the most important :Michael is recognized as the most successful entertainer by the Guiness Word Record and he won the award of Artist of Century when he was alive.
For me there is no doubt about that Michael is the greatest entertainer ever.

I dont care how the channel minor like VH1 ,Rolling Stone Magazine(or other magazine) rank Michael .

Last edited:

You has all said.No one artist transcended all the generation,the race ,the nationality ,the culture like him.And i find that his music in general age rather good.

I didn't watch the show or look at the final results for the top five, but by quickly scrolling through this page I am guessing The Beatles were at #1 and MJ was at #2 and now we have commenced to write a bunch of posts about why MJ is better than The Beatles. To me it's kinda interchangeable so I'm not really bothered (and I'm not a Beatles fan either). I agree Michael reached all creeds on a scale that nobody else has, and if the question were "who is the greatest entertainer" it's not even debatable IMO.

But MJ at #2 is not the biggest travesty on this list, people. Look through all of it and see who's ranked above whom. Compared to that, this is decent lol.

Michael Jackson should have been number 1. For goodness sakes, he has the biggest selling album of ALL TIME…..that is the foundation of artistry…ALBUMS…and Michael did it best. Let’s not even start on how many times he is in the Guinness Book of World Records for his other musical accomplishments. MICHAEL JACKSON IS THE QUINTESSENTIAL ARTIST OF ALL TIME…..The Beatles aren’t even on the same level. Matter of fact, they should have given MJ the #1 and #2 spots…..the rest can start at #3!

Re: VH1's '100 Greatest Music Artists of All Time', airs September 6, 2010

Have to say that I agree. Michael's music still moves me in a way no other artist can but I think the Beatles changed music's path so much, that without it, the likes of M.J. may never have had a chance to flourish.

Do you mind explaining that one? I kind of fail to see what The Beatles did for all those Motown artists in the sixties and early 70s, besides giving the Jackson Five a group to knock off from the #1 spot on Billboard 2x. Especially since I don't remember the Jackson 5 ever calling the Beatles a, serious, influence on themselves.

Even though he gets called a thief and etc, I would think Elvis Presley did more for 'black music' than the Beatles did. So I thought. It just could be my ignorance though.

The list was compiled by a lot of rock musicians who naturally will cite The Beatles as an inspiration. As much as I believe that Michael should be number one I really am not suprised. To me Michael will always be number one.

Honestly, I'm way too used to The Beatles edging MJ out of lists like this to be very devastated. Of course, every rock star will give the nod to The Beatles over Michael, so that's why they won.

As long as no-one else is #1/2, I'm happy. Michael and the Beatles are on a whole other level than everyone else in the music business, and no-one will ever reach it. Ever.

Back