We want the L.A. 1989 concert on BLURAY campaign!!!

One thing many of you seem to be forgetting, or simply just don't know is...Michael sold the rights to the Bucharest '92 show for a whopping sum (which escapes me presently) many years ago, possibly, to the BBC.
I've just got home from work and if I wasn't so lazy, A simple Google search will reveal what I'm on about!

As far as an L.A '89 release goes, I've been touting this for years on the forums! Even back in like, 2006 when Birchey and others from the original MJUK forum invaded MJNO and here, attempting to drum up support for a Wembley '88 release, I stood firm and supported an L.A release.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am super excited that we are finally getting a Bad Tour '88 official release, I just feel that the only reason the Wembley '88 campaign took off the way it did, was due to English fans wanting a concert from their country released, not based on performance, but due to it's location.

There are differences between the Mid '88 run of Bad Tour shows and the late '88/early '89 shows. Firstly, the Billie Jean breakdown at the end of the song was much shorter during the Wembley shows.
MJ added more moves towards the end of the Tour. Secondly, L.A '89 was indeed filmed by many cameras and professionally recorded and mixed with the intent of a proper home release.
During the L.A '89 shows, many songs featured new elements added, such as new effects and sounds, such as Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'...to name but one.

Also, and this is personal opinion, I feel MJ looked f*cken awesome in the '89 footages! A cool mix of Bad and Dangerous era's!
In the snippets we have available, Mike looks energetic and excited too. The amateur audio we have from one of the shows totally reeks of high-octane coolosity too!

All in all, The Bad Wembley disc is going to be amazing! I just feel a better choice could have been made...with a ready made filmed product sitting somewhere collecting dust.

I've always been suspicious about the request for the Wembley show and you just answered it here. Of course the fans from the UK are going to make it seem like the Wembley show was the best show out of all 123 shows. Many of us were too young to even have attended or remembered the shows and didn't likely attend all 123 shows. I selfishly want Mike to release a U.S. show as he is an American artist in addition to U.S. fans being neglected from having a tour for so many years. But again you do make perfect sense when you say Birche was and other U.K. fans were drumming up the idea that the U.K. was the best show ever. Now look what we got, a U.K. show on VHS that's not even recorded or intended for public releases. The LA show was, from looking at the footage, recorded for release.

One thing many of you seem to be forgetting, or simply just don't know is...Michael sold the rights to the Bucharest '92 show for a whopping sum (which escapes me presently) many years ago, possibly, to the BBC.
I've just got home from work and if I wasn't so lazy, A simple Google search will reveal what I'm on about!

As far as an L.A '89 release goes, I've been touting this for years on the forums! Even back in like, 2006 when Birchey and others from the original MJUK forum invaded MJNO and here, attempting to drum up support for a Wembley '88 release, I stood firm and supported an L.A release.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am super excited that we are finally getting a Bad Tour '88 official release, I just feel that the only reason the Wembley '88 campaign took off the way it did, was due to English fans wanting a concert from their country released, not based on performance, but due to it's location.

There are differences between the Mid '88 run of Bad Tour shows and the late '88/early '89 shows. Firstly, the Billie Jean breakdown at the end of the song was much shorter during the Wembley shows.
MJ added more moves towards the end of the Tour. Secondly, L.A '89 was indeed filmed by many cameras and professionally recorded and mixed with the intent of a proper home release.
During the L.A '89 shows, many songs featured new elements added, such as new effects and sounds, such as Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'...to name but one.

Also, and this is personal opinion, I feel MJ looked f*cken awesome in the '89 footages! A cool mix of Bad and Dangerous era's!
In the snippets we have available, Mike looks energetic and excited too. The amateur audio we have from one of the shows totally reeks of high-octane coolosity too!

All in all, The Bad Wembley disc is going to be amazing! I just feel a better choice could have been made...with a ready made filmed product sitting somewhere collecting dust.

Hi Steve! Nice to hear from you again!

Thanks for the info about the LA show. Those are exactly the reasons why I want this show released on Bluray.

I personally didn't want the Wembley show because I'm from the UK, it was just because it seemed like the best show. I'm from Liverpool so if this were the case I would want the show in Liverpool to be released which was attended by 125,000 fans.

The L.A shows were the last of the tour so Michael appears more tired to me and his voice wasn't as good as earlier in the tour.

Vocally he is better during the first show in Kansas, and I believe he sang Man In The Mirror and The Way You Make Me Feel live. Or that may be the MSG show, I'm not sure.

Thinking about it, one of those shows would probably be best.

I think it's funny how people can say that Michael looked and sounded tired in LA. Especially since they didn't really see the concert, just some snippets from Bad or Man In The Mirror which "oddly" enough were... from the ENDING of the show. Nobody seems to mention how much energy he had and how fantastic he sounded and moved during Another Part of Me or Beat It, so much energy in those performances, yet people look at a snippet from MITM and say: "Oh, he looks and sounds tired..."

Well no sh*t, how do you expect him to be after a long ass show? Not to mention that he gave out all of his energy during the show itself, because he wanted to end the tour with a great concert, with a 'BANG'. So of course he was tired during the ending of it. And like others have said, it was indeed recorded for a potential release. Michael himself wanted that one to be recorded and released...

What more reasons does the Estate need in order to release this? Seriously...

Yeah it seems he might've had a thought about releasing LA. But for whatever reason he didn't release it (too bad). Also I think he generally sounded more tired and sick towards the end of tour (ending of show also obviously more indicates of that).
I'd like this concert to be released, but I'd also want MSG as well. LA for all reasons posted above and MSG for more songs live and IMO better voice.
And Wembley all over that with amazing audio quality :punk:

With respect, it has nothing to do with wanting a show "due to it's location" a lot of us campaigned for Wembley over the years because a lot of us feel they were some of his best shows. I'm from Cork City in Ireland so it certainly never had anything to do with location. I wanted Wembley as I feel it represents MJ at his peak and live best, and the fans at those concerts were ecstatic and overwhelmed because it had been over a decade since he performed there. Their was an anticipation with the European shows because it was his first solo tour and Wembley felt like the culmination of it all. We didn't have The Victory Tour on this side of the water so it was the first time experiencing THAT Michael Jackson a' la Motown 25, Thriller, Victory etc. I stand by Wembley and despite the possible cock-up by the Estate, It was still shot on film 2 out of 5 nights. 5 nights at the old historical Wembley, the home of football with the 2 towers was also a record breaker at the time. It was unimaginable that a solo performer could sell out 5 nights. This hysteria wasn't seen since The Beatles in London.

I've always been suspicious about the request for the Wembley show and you just answered it here. Of course the fans from the UK are going to make it seem like the Wembley show was the best show out of all 123 shows. Many of us were too young to even have attended or remembered the shows and didn't likely attend all 123 shows. I selfishly want Mike to release a U.S. show as he is an American artist in addition to U.S. fans being neglected from having a tour for so many years. But again you do make perfect sense when you say Birche was and other U.K. fans were drumming up the idea that the U.K. was the best show ever. Now look what we got, a U.K. show on VHS that's not even recorded or intended for public releases. The LA show was, from looking at the footage, recorded for release.

Again, No. Alot of us just wanted one of the best Bad Tour shows released as we feel it represents MJ at his VERY BEST! What Birchey and a lot of fans did was campaign for a Wembley show for that sole reason. (Birchey is a fan of LA 89 by the way) A few fans such as Birchey have seen and heard every piece of footage/audio available, wether it be pro or amature footage, and the opinons werent bassed on assumtions. It's not any of OUR fault that this VHS thing is happening. If it werent for certain fans behind the scenes the idea of releasing ANY Bad Tour would probably still seem a very strong impossibility. It was nothing to do with selfishly wanting an English show becasue certain fans were/are English. It was NEVER about that!!

I think it's funny how people can say that Michael looked and sounded tired in LA. Especially since they didn't really see the concert, just some snippets from Bad or Man In The Mirror which "oddly" enough were... from the ENDING of the show. Nobody seems to mention how much energy he had and how fantastic he sounded and moved during Another Part of Me or Beat It, so much energy in those performances, yet people look at a snippet from MITM and say: "Oh, he looks and sounds tired..."

Well no sh*t, how do you expect him to be after a long ass show? Not to mention that he gave out all of his energy during the show itself, because he wanted to end the tour with a great concert, with a 'BANG'. So of course he was tired during the ending of it. And like others have said, it was indeed recorded for a potential release. Michael himself wanted that one to be recorded and released...

I think personally, he looked and sounded quite tired during the LA 89 shows. It's just a personal opinion. I feel this about Wanna Be Startin' Hartbreak' Another Part' etc. I feel he's tired and happy to be finishing a grueling tour and is just looking forward to retirement. MJ wanted to walk away from the live stage after the Bad World Tour, and although the LA shows are the end of an era, they just don't represent anything as special to me about the Bad Tour the way London did. I'm not saying there werent special moments in it, Bad looks amazing Beat It, MITM with white shirt looks amazing, MJ looks closer to the Dangerous era which is cool. If a Blu-Ray release could happen, then I'm sure EVERY fan is all for it.

I've seen clips and head the entire show. He sounds more tired throughout the show.

The idea that we only wanted the Wembley show because we wanted a show from our country is ridiculous, we are hardly the most patriotic nation in the world.....I can't see that anybody would really care if the show was from their country or not. I just want the best show possible.

Then there`s this 'thing' with Wembley. People from Europe probably know this; but there was something special in the atmosphere and sound in the old Wembley stadium. Also, most big artist saw 'doing Wembley' as a special occasion because of that. This makes the whole Wembley experience even better.

Just look at some WBSS Wembley clips from `92 (!)...Mike`s on fire, tapping his feet like crazy after the 'mama-se'-bridge...

Or look at other concerts for that matter; Live Aid and Queen... it just looks/feels so special. :)

just like royal albert hall. those arent just stadium and music hall, they are institutions.
when you play there, you are someone big.

Vocally he is better during the first show in Kansas, and I believe he sang Man In The Mirror and The Way You Make Me Feel live. Or that may be the MSG show, I'm not sure.

Smooth Criminal and The Way You Make Me Feel was sung live at the MSG show

If he sang both DD and TWYMMF it would be great!!

Bad Tour On BluRay ?!?! :D Impossible
These concerts are very old. I do not think Sony wants to know what the cost.But it is excellent.
Bad tour in BluRay . I think too hard
But if New York concert will be released on regular DVD is excellent.
This is a really good run. especially "The Way You make Me Feel" And "Bad"

if the original 16mm or 35mm masters are used, a BluRay is possible.
but of course, a good DVD is what should come first.

read this, from our friend Bernard @ mjstreet.net:

Grading Michael Jackson
by Warren Eagles

My first real grading job was on the Michael Jackson Bad tour in 1988, directed by Patrick Kelly. I was an assistant telecine operator at Visions, located in Soho, London. As an assistant I laced the film, loaded the film cleaner and pressed REC on the 1” VTR. I spent the time in between these duties and lots of my own time observing and learning the nuances of the industry. Visions had 2 senior telecine ops Mark Baugh and Luke Rainey who were both particularly knowledgeable and were an invaluable part of my education. Just watching them grade then asking questions at the right moment was a great way to learn.

The concert was shot on a mixture of 35mm and 16mm film, it seemed at times they were shooting film for fun! The crew filmed 2 nights out of the 5 Wembley stadium gigs, film was also fed from the earlier tour legs in Australia, Japan, and Europe. As an accompanying piece to the concert, an “on the road” documentary was also filmed at the same time. The concert was cut in a 4 machine 1” online edit suit, not offlined. This was before Avid of FCP offline so the alternative would have been a lowband umatic or ¾ edit. As soon as the film came in from the lab we would be transferring it, feeding the footage on to 2 hungry edit suites.

It is still the biggest music project I have ever been involved with in terms of volume of footage. We would load each negative film lab roll onto the Rank MK111 telecine machine then set the counter to a known sync point on the film. So LR 10 would be TC 10:00:00:00. The sync point would be the start mark on the film leader.

There had been a hold up one day at the lab so the pressure was off and Mark said to me “why don’t you jump on the desk and grade a few rolls,” I jumped at it.

I played the film roll into the first song and checked our presets for color and framing. The colorists had set presets based on the different film stock types. Kodak 5248 slightly warmer than the 500ASA variety. I made some small adjustments all looked good and matched the previous work so I rewound the negative slowly to the film leader and then started to record from the Picture Start mark on the leader. To match a shot from a previous camera roll, we had to load that tape, find the shot we wanted to match to, then wipe to it with a vision mixer, no still store back then. The exposure and color balance were adjusted on the fly as the 1’’ VTR was recording. I initially couldn’t adjust the controls quickly enough so found that the exposure was changing during a usable piece of MJ’s performance. This meant we had to stop recording, adjust the shot then pick up the edit on a suitable camera flash or clapperboard. As I became more experienced I leant to change the controls fast enough to keep recording. This type of fly grading was a great way of learning instinctively which way to adjust the joysticks without looking at the Vector scope or Waveform monitor. The key here was consistence as there was to be no final grade. Fly grading is something junior graders don’t do much anymore because film dailies from a TK machine are becoming less frequent. Film is more likely to be transferred to a file then graded. It was a great way to learn how to grade, not just well but quickly.

The single “Another part of me” was cut from some of my early telecine work. The music video was cut from footage shot in London and Paris, that shows you how tight Jackson’s performance was. As far as I know the complete concert and documentary has never been released. A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak. Jackson never came into Visions during the project but Frank Dileo, his cigar smoking manager, visited a couple of times.

http://icolorist.com/grading-michael-jackson/

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the setlist for L.A shorter than the setlist for Wembley?

I think this was the L.A setlist

Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Heartbreak Hotel
Another Part Of Me
Human Nature
Smooth Criminal
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Thriller
Jackson 5 Medley
Working Day And Night
Beat It
Billie Jean
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Man In The Mirror

The one who started this thread has to be freaking kidding, we have Wembley on DVD! It's obvious The Estate listened to us and the ones who aren't happy about it are party poopers! (sp?) -_-

The one who started this thread has to be freaking kidding, we have Wembley on DVD! It's obvious The Estate listened to us and the ones who aren't happy about it are party poopers! (sp?) -_-

well, I think the debate here is not only about Webley, it is about getting a HQ DVD, which I feel is what MJ's legacy sure deserves ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the setlist for L.A shorter than the setlist for Wembley?

I think this was the L.A setlist

Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Heartbreak Hotel
Another Part Of Me
Human Nature
Smooth Criminal
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Thriller
Jackson 5 Medley
Working Day And Night
Beat It
Billie Jean
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Man In The Mirror

I remember, awhile back listening to one of the amature audios of LA and remembering the Dirty Diana was not on there. It goes straight into Thriller. I half thought at the time it was just the way it was recorded, but the tape didn't sound cut (like when you would run out of space on the tape you would change sides to continue recording). It did sound like Dirty Diana was cut from that particular show.

Here I made trailer as IMWhizzle requested :)

Awesome video. Love that. I'm off to sign another Bad Tour petition. I do love the Bad and Beat It footage from LA. Personally though, I'm thinking theres an issue with all the Bad Tour footage (perhaps an issue with ALL the tour footage from each tour), perhaps their lost or misplaced somewhere. I think if their was film footage at hand, then it would be automatically chosen over a VHS copy. I think theres a reality to this that fans are gonna have to understand and wait for some sort of statement from The Estate.

So does the estate actually have the L.A concert or does somebody else own it?

So does the estate actually have the L.A concert or does somebody else own it?

Were only playing a guessing game really until/if The Estate shed some light on things. Did MJ own his masters? You would guess he did, but given the poor management in terms of other items, it's not inconcievable that he didnt. Poor business deals and bad managment. I remember seeing one guy had a unit full of J5 items- costumes, memorabilia that he wasn't gonna give back until he got paid.

I really hope theirs a very large box of film footage under MJ's bed in Havenhurst or Neverland that just got misplaced. Millions just sitting there in a cardboard box. Blu-Rays, Boxsets, Theatrical screenings, TV specials etc. If The Estate does not own the masters, then they really need to pay whatever X-party is asking. They will make much much more in the bigger picture. Literally and metaphorically

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I think the debate here is not only about Webley, it is about getting a HQ DVD, which I feel is what MJ's legacy sure deserves ;)

Michael's legacy and we certainty deserve a HQ DVD concert but my problem is that many people are nagging about not having a blu-ray format as well when our wish to have that Wembley concert released became come true! We should be thankful to the Estate for listening to us!

Michael's legacy and we certainty deserve a HQ DVD concert but my problem is that many people are nagging about not having a blu-ray format as well when our wish to have that Wembley concert released became come true! We should be thankful to the Estate for listening to us!

It is more to do with frustration than nagging. A VHS rip in this day and age is simply unacceptable! As a bonus disc, yeah it would make a really great bonus disc, but 2 of 5 nights at Wembley were shot on Film. Where are they? Why are we not getting a visual product by which in todays standards are HD? What we might be getting, we may not be even able to class as a propper DVD. Take 'This Is It and Moonwalker Blu-Rays for example. Both in stunning High Definition and worth buying a Blu-Ray player and HD TV for. That is the standard, that is capable of being delivered provided the footage is taken from Film, not VHS.

So it's a question of 'Where is the film? Does The Estate own the masters/film footage? We can buy Hitchcock and Carlie Chaplins Films on DVD and Blu-Ray. Why can't we buy Michael Jackson's?

If their gonna give us Bad Tour 88 Wembley, then they've really gotta do it right. It is one of the greatest live shows to ever be captured on Film, and needs to be presented in such a way with the respect it deserves.

And might I add, it's been 11 days now and The Estate has still not addressed this (per-usual)! Once again it has fallen on the fans to ask, look for and try find and get any information on whats happening. It's really not that difficult. All we want is some light shed. We'll be the ones buying the deluxe and special additions.

I class Bad 88 as a Film, and see Michael Jackson as one of the greatest Directors of all time, in the same pantheon as Hitchcock, Chaplin, and Spielberg. The Estate and people responsible need to start treating his work with ALOT more respect.

I'm not blaming them if they don't have the Film, but if they don't they've really gotta get on top of things and locate it. And if they have to pay for it, pay for it. Items need to be catalogued and archived and preserved. Whether it be an intern or a team of a dozen people.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is more to do with frustration than nagging. A VHS rip in this day and age is simply unacceptable! As a bonus disc, yeah it would make a really great bonus disc, but 2 of 5 nights at Wembley were shot on Film. Where are they? Why are we not getting a visual product by which in todays standards are HD? What we might be getting, we may not be even able to class as a propper DVD. Take 'This Is It and Moonwalker Blu-Rays for example. Both in stunning High Definition and worth buying a Blu-Ray player and HD TV for. That is the standard, that is capable of being delivered provided the footage is taken from Film, not VHS.

So it's a question of 'Where is the film? Does The Estate own the masters/film footage? We can buy Hitchcock and Carlie Chaplins Films on DVD and Blu-Ray. Why can't we buy Michael Jackson's?

If their gonna give us Bad Tour 88 Wembley, then they've really gotta do it right. It is one of the greatest live shows to ever be captured on Film, and needs to be presented in such a way with the respect it deserves.

And might I add, it's been 11 days now and The Estate has still not addressed this (per-usual)! Once again it has fallen on the fans to ask, look for and try find and get any information on whats happening. It's really not that difficult. All we want is some light shed. We'll be the ones buying the deluxe and special additions.

I class Bad 88 as a Film, and see Michael Jackson as one of the greatest Directors of all time, in the same pantheon as Hitchcock, Chaplin, and Spielberg. The Estate and people responsible need to start treating his work with ALOT more respect.

I'm not blaming them if they don't have the Film, but if they don't they've really gotta get on top of things and locate it. And if they have to pay for it, pay for it. Items need to be catalogued and archived and preserved. Whether it be an intern or a team of a dozen people.

totally agree, plus I wonder what is the most expensive : restore a 24 year old worn out VHS or trace, locate, get and transfer the right HQ source on DVD ?

Back