What Is Michael's Most Underrated Album?

Least Appreciated Album

• Off The Wall

Votes: 41 9.9%
  • Thriller

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 11.6%
  • HIStory

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • Blood on the Dancefloor

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • Invincible

Votes: 206 49.6%

• Total voters
I voted Off The Wall, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves lol, also Dangerous is very underrated

Invincible is not NEARLY as bad as everyone tries to make it seem. It was MJ's attempt at doing something slightly more modern and funky and I think it DEFINITELY worked. There are some amaaazing tracks on there that people just bypass because the mainstream media tells them to do so. People fly by that record like it doesn't even exist. Shame. I think if more people took the time to actually listen to it, it could be a hit all over again.

I agree w/ all of that.

I think Invincible and History are his most underrated.

Fan or not, everyone is familiar with Michael's work up through Dangerous. Most people are not familiar with HIStory (or only know "You Are Not Alone") despite its many great songs, and most critics seem to write Michael's work off after Dangerous. The Chandler allegations were an unfortunate turning point in his career, and I think HIStory suffered because of it. Also, it was sabotaged by the fact that you have to buy it it with the greatest hits disc. I think it would be much more popular if it had been sold on its own.

I voted Off The Wall, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves lol, also Dangerous is very underrated

Sometimes I feel like it is underrated too, but really a lot of people are familiar with it. "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" and "Rock With You" are really big hits on par with hits from Thriller in terms of popularity. On the Billboard chart the week of his death, Off the Wall beat Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory.

Well, seriously I think BOTDF is the most underrated. Is It Scary, Ghosts, BOTDF are masterpieces. Morphine is also awesome song. Even Superfly Sister is listenable :)

Right now, I think they're all really underrated apart from Thriller. Everyone is buying compilation albums and Thriller it seems.

But generally, I think the media sensationalism and bias caused every album post-Thriller to be underrated, and increasingly so as time went on (irrespective of the quality of the album). In that regard, Invincible has to be the most underrated.

I chose HIStory, because its not just a greatest hits album people make it out to be. Childhood, Money, Smile, and Little Susie are simply...amazing.

I want to say Invincible... because I remember when it came out the media kinda trashed it.. it does have some songs that make me cringe (Cry anyone???) but mostly pretty solid and his voice is all deep and gravelly which I liked. I mean not every song of course, but he did use his deeper voice more. I will say though that as far as his music goes, overall it wasn't the best album for me, but I think that had more to do with who he chose as producers rather than MJ himself. R. Kelly? Rodney Jerkins? Babyface? Meh for me, all of them. Now that's just my opinion.

Second place goes to BAD just because it could never have lived up to expectations following Thriller. That thing could have been made of SOLID GOLD and folks woulda still found something to complain about.

Dangerous - there isn't a bad song on there! :D
But Invincible is good too, I can't stand it when the media talk about how much of a 'flop' it is. They always say his music went downhill from Thriller, but really I think Thriller is a touch overrated.

Invincible. The people who call it a flop are obviously the ones who haven't listened to it.
Also 10 million with not much promo is bad???

Invincible! Sooo Underrated! Makes me sad really :( that people don't recognize the greatness Michael put into that album. Just amazing.

I say everything post-Dangerous. I voted for HIStory because I think it's his best of the later albums.

Ima say EVERYTHING besides Thriller..I felt that Off the Wall should've won around 4-5 Grammys instead of the 1 Grammy it got..Bad was just as good as Thriller and Off the Wall..and he should've won some Grammys for that album..I felt he got robbed..HIStory was his most personal album..and I think that album deserved more recognition than it got..Invincible really wasn't that bad..yeah it wasn't his best, but it still was good! Dangerous is a good album because it showed that he could crossover from the 80's into the 90's and the songs on there were good..I think people were too concerned about him matching the success of Thriller and ignored the great substance that his music had..

Last edited:
Back