what slang did you learn from R&B and hip-hop?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
when you listen to R&B and Hip-Hop what new words or terms that you didn't know what they meant or the term did you learn and was in awe?

we all been there speak on it

Around the time when I really started studying English, I happend to start listening to R&B and Hiphop a lot. Esp. when it comes down to Hiphop, at some point, I got tired of not understanding all the words and having to listen to voice, beats and melodies only. That's when I started looking into the lyrics and grabbing the dictionary.
Some words, it took a good few years to figure out exactly what they mean in which type of context. I wasn't able to get access to the Internet on a regular basis back in the day, so it's not that I had a lot of resources to depend on.

sick, bad, ridiculous, somebody killed it, dope---all positive meanings used to compliment someone

the loot

props

creep

cop

peace/peace out

and so many more...

Hip hop (and Gang culture) Lernt from 1992 Onwards
Yo ! -hi
gat- gun
b boy
5.jpg

westside
chill-relax
dope-somthings good
posse-/clique- gang
game
holla
homie/homeboy/homegirl
o.p.p.
kitten (thanxs to anthony criss)
da bomb
po po- police
hell yeah
slangin
bangin'
saggin'
G
shorty/shawty -girl(used in music from 97, would you say ?)
props-respect
dissin'-disrespect

grinding
dis
roll
shout out
grill
shook onez (i kno its a title from MD but it was one of my first words i herd.)
motherfuckin'/motherfuker
blowin' up
mac /daddy
flow
thang
babydaddy/babymama
swag on
pimp
dogg/dawgg
ho
benjamins
ice
bling(early 2000 "puff daddy"slang . right ? .lol)

URL]
it wont show, but just click.

"it's all good"- started in 1994 ? and just can't seem to fade out

"the sh*t"

"back in the day"

"got cha back son"

"phat"- also can stand for: Pretty Hot And Tempting..:p.

"word is bond"

you kno what , im going to edit soon and add more.

Last edited:
word
word up
word is bond

ride-or-die chick

ill/cold

coochie

bird=police helicopter (?) not sure what type of helicopter it means...

chicken head

down wit OPP :lol:
Yea, 'down with' meaning 'agree' or 'support' in this context, not 'disagree' or 'against'

I also learned that 'down' alone means similar things. To those who know the exact meaning, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm digging this thread. Basically, I learned English a lot through music, so when I'm on this thread, I get to look back on my high school days being one of few girls listening to both R&B and Hiphop. Also, I've always loved studying language and linguistics was part of my major courses back in college.

Slang is part of our vocabulary and our life, whether you like it or not. So, when one learns a foreign language, I think you must learn some slangs as well. I can see many teenage kids love to learn some slangs in foreign language just like they love to use their slangs in their mother tongue:)

I'm digging this thread. Basically, I learned English a lot through music, so when I'm on this thread, I get to look back on my high school days being one of few girls listening to both R&B and Hiphop. Also, I've always loved studying language and linguistics was part of my major courses back in college.

Slang is part of our vocabulary and our life, whether you like it or not. So, when one learns a foreign language, I think you must learn some slangs as well. I can see many teenage kids love to learn some slangs in foreign language just like they love to use their slangs in their mother tongue:)

Same here, I learnt a lot of English through song lyrics. Slang used to confuse the living daylights out of me in the early stages, when someone would say "I is..." or "them be going this way", and I'd be like - oh my god, WHAT?! Nowadays, I love it! I absolutely adore it when people sometimes talk like that, I find it fascinating.

Actually... "I dig this thread", :lol: I learned "I dig this" from hip hop as well.

You don't need hiphop to learn slang words. I get my teaching from Mike :D

[youtube]c5mf1tJu6wM[/youtube]
[youtube]soHvBm39D28&NR=1[/youtube]

I knew most slang words because I heard them anyways and then ppl just added them to their songs. The only thing that I learned new was the 'catch pharse' slang words for example "Down with OPP" But where I live words like Dope Fresh Fly etc was always common.

Same here, I learnt a lot of English through song lyrics. Slang used to confuse the living daylights out of me in the early stages, when someone would say "I is..." or "them be going this way", and I'd be like - oh my god, WHAT?! Nowadays, I love it! I absolutely adore it when people sometimes talk like that, I find it fascinating.

Actually... "I dig this thread", :lol: I learned "I dig this" from hip hop as well.
on the part in bold: You mean, English is not your mother tongue, just like in my case?

Yeah, the word 'dig' started being used years ago and it still seems to be in frequent use. I heard the word used in some Jackson 5 interviews in the 70s. Like, "I can dig that!" meaning something like "I agree!"

@LindavG : :yes: When I first got to watch the footages, ooh, I watched over and over again. Thanks for posting, anyway.
He felt at home becuz he WAS at home, Gary, IN!:) Plus, he was with his cousins in the car. I think that's why he was using some slang unlike in public appearances or interviews.
"We be illin."---I like the way he says this. I'd like to know exactly what this means. Anyone?

"We be illin."---I like the way he says this. I'd like to know exactly what this means. Anyone?

Well illin could mean that you are 'messed up' or just so wrong...like a big 'Fail' - or 'Buggin' Out' - or it could be used in a positive way .. like saying something is Mad ill could mean that it's cool as heck. it's all in how it's used in a sentence under the situation. Some people even use illin' as a way to express 'Hanging out' or 'Chillin' in a large way. Either way illin is always 'Epic' or 'Outrageous'.
Ill means Sick sick is Bad Bad can be Good so Ill Can be Great or go back to the general meaning simple sick/bad not great.

Run DMC made a song back in the 80's about Illin'

Edit: OH yeahh Beastie Boys also did a song with 'ill' too. I listened to both these songs/artists in the 80's all the time!

Last edited:
Witchu is another one I learnt.

It doesn't come from R&B or hip-hop but it's sure as hell used in those contexts, so I think it counts.

For those playing at home, it means 'With you' - except it's a less structured version of the word, which if you say it you could have, in the time it took you to say it, have said 'With you' and less people would suspect you just can't be arsed saying the word 'With' or you're a bit runny. Whether it's out of style, or it's the way the young'ins speak these days, I'm not sure. And before you ask, no I have no idea why I wrote all that, making you read more than you probably felt like reading.

po po = police

rat-a-tat-tat = gunfire

gaffle = beatdown

fo shizzle = for sure

there are many more but i can't think of them right now without going thru 2Pac & Snoop Dogg lyrics

Well illin could mean that you are 'messed up' or just so wrong...like a big 'Fail' - or 'Buggin' Out' - or it could be used in a positive way .. like saying something is Mad ill could mean that it's cool as heck. it's all in how it's used in a sentence under the situation. Some people even use illin' as a way to express 'Hanging out' or 'Chillin' in a large way. Either way illin is always 'Epic' or 'Outrageous'.
Ill means Sick sick is Bad Bad can be Good so Ill Can be Great or go back to the general meaning simple sick/bad not great.

Run DMC made a song back in the 80's about Illin'

Edit: OH yeahh Beastie Boys also did a song with 'ill' too. I listened to both these songs/artists in the 80's all the time!
Oh thanks a lot for breaking it down for me:) I knew "ill" can mean "great", so I guessed "illin" got something to do with it. Now I can see it has other uses as well.
Given the context where Michael was saying it, I think he meant "We're chillin/hangin out."

No, it isn't. I'm Polish. :)
I see:yes:

OK, another list: homie, homegirl, homeboy---these are among the ones I learned earlier than I did others. I looked them up and could find them in my dictionary, meaning they're more commonly used than other more "difficult" slangs.

Back