Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Carousel will be announced this week. A link to the "Track 13" tag has been activated (which is redirecting to Carousel on YT-Premium).
been like that since awhile, noticed it probably more than a month ago

But we have a recording of Michael recording it, no?
Matt Forger actually said they couldn't find a tape with vocals. I assume a recorded version with MJ vocals does exist.

They also had no success in finding a tape with vocals in case of JNVPLFDN. Therefor the track on Bad25 is sourced from a 10"-acetate.

I have a theory that Groove Of Midnight is the last Rod Temperton written song Mike recorded.

If you listen to the snippet we have, when Michael and Rod talk, Rod says Mike's hair has grown since he last saw him. Rod also says he last saw MJ in October, so you'd assume this recording takes place in early 1987. Given Rod's surprise at how quick it's grown

I'd assume Mike recorded the song, because in the snippet it sounds like he is recording the chorus backing vocals, when you compare it to Siedah's released version. I doubt he record the backing vocals and not the lead vocals. But that's a guess on my part

I love MJ's raw vocals in the snippet we have but I wouldn't say the song is a strong demo to be honest, Siedah's version is a little bit filler

I have a theory that Groove Of Midnight is the last Rod Temperton written song Mike recorded.

If you listen to the snippet we have, when Michael and Rod talk, Rod says Mike's hair has grown since he last saw him. Rod also says he last saw MJ in October, so you'd assume this recording takes place in early 1987. Given Rod's surprise at how quick it's grown

I'd assume Mike recorded the song, because in the snippet it sounds like he is recording the chorus backing vocals, when you compare it to Siedah's released version. I doubt he record the backing vocals and not the lead vocals. But that's a guess on my part

I love MJ's raw vocals in the snippet we have but I wouldn't say the song is a strong demo to be honest, Siedah's version is a little bit filler
I've never heard the conversation between mj and rod, only the song vocals. Do you think you could give a link to it?

Have to think if somebody was able to contact Siedah, she would know if there was a fully recorded MJ version. I'm sure she would've heard it before releasing her own version.

Track 17 is Thursday’s announcement I think. If it’s Sunset Driver, that user who posted the YouTube tracks is right.

Track 17 is Thursday’s announcement I think. If it’s Sunset Driver, that user who posted the YouTube tracks is right.
But I thought the 1982 version was already released on TUC. So why would they re-release?

But we have a recording of Michael recording it, no?
I always suspected that Michael wasn’t recording it in the leaked clip, but he just spontaneously sang a bit of it while the tape was running. Similar to when he randomly started singing his “P.Y.T.” demo during a Dangerous Tour rehearsal.

I always suspected that Michael wasn’t recording it in the leaked clip, but he just spontaneously sang a bit of it while the tape was running. Similar to when he randomly started singing his “P.Y.T.” demo during a Dangerous Tour rehearsal.
But then, why would Rod Temperton be present at that recording session? Just to present the track?

But I thought the 1982 version was already released on TUC. So why would they re-release?
Same reason the Estate released The Way You Love Me, Streetwalker and Fly Away even though they were already released before. Probably.

To me, it seems like he recorded it. I'm assuming it would be a rough demo, maybe with just a piano? But with Rod being there in the studio, I think there's a demo.

To me, it seems like he recorded it. I'm assuming it would be a rough demo, maybe with just a piano? But with Rod being there in the studio, I think there's a demo.
But then, why would Rod Temperton be present at that recording session? Just to present the track?
I’m pretty sure (and I may be wrong here) MJ says “Roddie” in “Free,” a song Rod had zero involvement in. Maybe he was just there?

I’m spitballing here of course. I just find it odd that Matt Forger would say it was never recorded when he was one of the most present people for the Bad sessions.

I’m pretty sure (and I may be wrong here) MJ says “Roddie” in “Free,” a song Rod had zero involvement in. Maybe he was just there?

I’m spitballing here of course. I just find it odd that Matt Forger would say it was never recorded when he was one of the most present people for the Bad sessions.
Did Matt Forger also not remember I'm So Blue before Bad 25? It is odd Matt doesn't recall it

Not saying you're wrong mate, you're the expert on unreleased MJ on here in my book

Sie hätten es mit anderen teilen können, anstatt in Ihrem Archiv zu verstauben. Es reicht nicht, es Ego zu nennen. Darüber hinaus.
I think it's good that he didn't share it with others, because it's exactly the same as with the leaked things, it's just the nicest and most exciting thing when a song is announced that has never been heard, so from that perspective it's very good that this song was not shared and now we have a big surprise

He says "Ronnie". It's Ronnie Foster. I think he plays keyboards. https://www.instagram.com/p/B1w4eiPi9ay/?hl=en

Why else would MJ be in the recording booth if not for recording?

Om
Nah I definitely think he was recording it because 1, he is singing to the piano accompaniment of the actual song so he wasn’t just singing something randomly and 2, right at the start of the clip you can clearly hear the full composition of the song before it cuts off and it sounds just like Siedah’s version and 3, you can hear him talking between the takes and singing a Beatles song if I remember correctly. With all this in mind it’s pretty safe to assume that he was recording the song.

One interesting thing about this whole ordeal and the clip above: a tape with Groove of Midnight was being sold last decade, so it's probably the one that Matt Forger was looking for. All we need to do is locate who has it now and get him to hand it over to Matt Forger.

One interesting thing about this whole ordeal and the clip above: a tape with Groove of Midnight was being sold last decade, so it's probably the one that Matt Forger was looking for. All we need to do is locate who has it now and get him to hand it over to Matt Forger.
Sounds like Bruce and Rod on that snippet.

It would be so incredible if we ended up finding michael's version.

He says "Ronnie". It's Ronnie Foster. I think he plays keyboards. https://www.instagram.com/p/B1w4eiPi9ay/?hl=en
Thank you! Had no idea about this one!
Om

Nah I definitely think he was recording it because 1, he is singing to the piano accompaniment of the actual song so he wasn’t just singing something randomly and 2, right at the start of the clip you can clearly hear the full composition of the song before it cuts off and it sounds just like Siedah’s version and 3, you can hear him talking between the takes and singing a Beatles song if I remember correctly. With all this in mind it’s pretty safe to assume that he was recording the song.
That’s a very fair point. Like I said, it’s just very surprising that nobody seems to remember it being recorded. Perhaps it was one of those tracks like “Abortion Papers,” where it was recorded with ”unusual” engineers.

“Rod Temperton had some songs”, remembers Matt Forger. “Quincy asked him to have songs ready. Groove of Midnight is one of these songs. However we searched and we could not find a version with Michael’s vocals. It wasn’t a song that they considered for the BAD album eventually”.

MJ definitely sung a portion of Groove Of Midnight. On the clip posted above they are talking to Michael about holding a note. (Off memory) Rod or Bruce tells Michael that if he can’t hold it the note they can punch one in. Ive asked Matt Forger and Brad S about it in person. Brad said he didn’t think the track was recorded. Matt said the version with Michaels Vocals wasn’t recorded in time for Bad 25.

MJ definitely sung a portion of Groove Of Midnight. On the clip posted above they are talking to Michael about holding a note. (Off memory) Rod or Bruce tells Michael that if he can’t hold it the note they can punch one in. Ive asked Matt Forger and Brad S about it in person. Brad said he didn’t think the track was recorded. Matt said the version with Michaels Vocals wasn’t recorded in time for Bad 25.
Could've been a Roll The Dice situation. Recorded a demo in a day and decided it was weak and wouldn't make the album so got shelved and that was it.

I would presume the discs, cd case and booklets have produced by now. Or a least near to complete. How long before the complete track list leaks ?

I would presume the discs, cd case and booklets have produced by now. Or a least near to complete. How long before the complete track list leaks ?
The album is due to release 18/11. So, a bit over a month from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back