Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always felt that Thriller40 seems like a calculated business move to get the general public thinking about Michael's genius again. It's his album with the most cultural recognition and the one that will best help steer people's minds back to Michael, the musical juggernaut. I think if they are smart they will limit "the good stuff" they put on disc 2 (as to save material for other releases), restore the films, and have a documentary. We need a *positive* Michael Jackson documentary to hit the mainstream, regardless of if it's about his music or something else. If Spike Lee did a doc, that would further help propel people to "remember" (as if anyone could forget) how incredible Michael was. All of that can prime the general public more for the biopic in a few years (which will have a soundtrack), any forthcoming documentaries, a potential Bad40, and perhaps another posthumous release album. All of that takes us to Thriller50! 😂

My biggest concern is that the estate is just completely inept at reading Michael's popularity on social media correctly and capitalizing on it. He's HUGE on TikTok. None of his contemporaries trend the way he does. None have the kind of following he does. His fanbase is growing on a literal daily basis. Also, the musical (while sadly only a US thing for now) is huge and has just been extended on Broadway from September to April of 2023. It wouldn't surprise me if it extended again, either. It has sold out every show the past 5 weeks - no other Broadway show has done that. I bring these things up because altogether they are creating a more pro-MJ climate than there has been in a long time, from what I can understand. If they don't take advantage of this with more releases after Thriller40, including non-anniversary albums, concert releases, etc., (regardless of how it 'performs') then what are they even doing?*

*this is a rhetorical question ;) 😂

I have always felt that Thriller40 seems like a calculated business move to get the general public thinking about Michael's genius again. It's his album with the most cultural recognition and the one that will best help steer people's minds back to Michael, the musical juggernaut. I think if they are smart they will limit "the good stuff" they put on disc 2 (as to save material for other releases), restore the films, and have a documentary. We need a *positive* Michael Jackson documentary to hit the mainstream, regardless of if it's about his music or something else. If Spike Lee did a doc, that would further help propel people to "remember" (as if anyone could forget) how incredible Michael was. All of that can prime the general public more for the biopic in a few years (which will have a soundtrack), any forthcoming documentaries, a potential Bad40, and perhaps another posthumous release album. All of that takes us to Thriller50! 😂

My biggest concern is that the estate is just completely inept at reading Michael's popularity on social media correctly and capitalizing on it. He's HUGE on TikTok. None of his contemporaries trend the way he does. None have the kind of following he does. His fanbase is growing on a literal daily basis. Also, the musical (while sadly only a US thing for now) is huge and has just been extended on Broadway from September to April of 2023. It wouldn't surprise me if it extended again, either. It has sold out every show the past 5 weeks - no other Broadway show has done that. I bring these things up because altogether they are creating a more pro-MJ climate than there has been in a long time, from what I can understand. If they don't take advantage of this with more releases after Thriller40, including non-anniversary albums, concert releases, etc., (regardless of how it 'performs') then what are they even doing?*

*this is a rhetorical question ;) 😂
I don’t think they should hold anything back on this release. If they have good songs left, it’s time they release them. Victory tour HD should be now as well. We don’t need a Spike Lee documentary, we are going to get sonic fantasy. They haven’t released squat since 2014. I’m not buying more repackaged songs I have already. The leaks are a given but they have to give the loyal fans something new or they are not getting my money.

I don’t think they should hold anything back on this release. If they have good songs left, it’s time they release them. Victory tour HD should be now as well. We don’t need a Spike Lee documentary, we are going to get sonic fantasy. They haven’t released squat since 2014. I’m not buying more repackaged songs I have already. The leaks are a given but they have to give the loyal fans something new or they are not getting my money.
That's fair. Though I would very much like a Spike Lee doc as well as Sonic Fantasy. But I want a doc for every album lol.

could we pls focus on the potential unreleased songs / audios here

mods?

on topic: quite sure we will hear Hot street on this album. very looking forward

We can assume there will not be much if any actual unheard material if they decide to include demos of Album tracks as well.

I just thought recently ... maybe there's an MJ version of You're The One that could fit there?

I don’t think it’s worth it to blow genuine, finished songs on a reissue that nobody will buy outside the hardcore community. Give us songs like “Free” or “Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round,” with half-finished verses and full choruses. I’m sure there are more of those in the vault than the estate knows what to do with.

I don’t think it’s worth it to blow genuine, finished songs on a reissue that nobody will buy outside the hardcore community. Give us songs like “Free” or “Don’t Be Messin’ ‘Round,” with half-finished verses and full choruses. I’m sure there are more of those in the vault than the estate knows what to do with.
Yeah, I'd be happy with stuff like that, I find it incredibly interesting, anyway. I'm thinking it's just gonna be the leaks and some album demos though.

What I would say is if there are some real tunes then put them out as singles and let them build the excitement of a michael jackson release. I know he us not with us but I am sure now Prince is on-board with the estate for future releases he will promote this and forthcoming projects. It also needs major promotion as others have said blast him everywhere.

I'm really intrigued about the Thriller era outtakes because I don't think there's many that we've heard, were ever strong enough to make it on the album, unlike other albums.

Songs like, Nightline, Hot Street, Trouble aren't really strong songs on their own in my opinion

I wonder what the songs Mike wrote that didn't make the album sound like, Behind The Mask for instances is amazing

For me, Hot Street is a 8/10, maybe even higher, Nite Line a 6.5/10 and She's Trouble a 5/10.
That's by MJ's standards, to be clear. Add a point to each if comparing to songs from other artists ;)
Absolutely mate. I'm only comparing them to other songs in the Thriller era and outtakes from other albums

I'd love to hear if there is an MJ version of Spice Of Life and Mystery by The Manhattan Transfer. Rod Temperton wrote both and loads of MJ's session musicians played on both, as well as a Stevie Wonder harmonica solo

You're all too harsh on those tracks, they are clearly demo's. Vocally they sound complete enough but instrumentally it are just blueprints. They would have never sounded the same when finished. They are synth songs, none of the thriller tracks sound like that which means they are either not from the thriller sessions or they are just early demos and it is probably the latter.

I'd be overjoyed if the tracklist had,

And possibly an unknown MJ demo or Chicago 1945.

I know that's very unlikely to happen, but it'd be lovely to hear Mike's vocals on these great songs, as the last two were written for him, Thriller 40 could be the perfect chance.

I'd love to hear Mike's original version of Behind The Mask, espicially if it's similar to Greg's version, with that wonderful "who do you love" background vocal running throughout. That was really missing in the Michael version

Last edited:
I think there was enough quality material from the ‘thriller’ outtakes to make a whole new album.
the grooves and melodies are timeless, and Michael was at his peak vocally. there’s just a little fixing here and there that needs to be done.

Still no updates? no leaks, no inside info dropped?

I hope we'll soon learn more.

But sometimes info leaks before the official annoncement.

I hope we will hear something around MJ's birthday.

But sometimes info leaks before the official annoncement.

I hope we will hear something around MJ's birthday.
There won't be an announcement about this on MJs Birthday because on that day they are announcing their collaboration with MJ_Frenzy

This forum is getting less active than years ago. So sad.
Yes.
Can only speak for myself but since the Estate doesnt release any new audio/video I tend to play other artists- groups and thats why im not very active in the MJ world.
Same happened before Escape release but as soon as something new is released im 100% back into MJ :)

Sony Legacy have deleted the Thriller 40 press release from their website apparently.

The unreleased tracks are more likely to be Nite Line , Trouble , Starlight and demos of Human Nature and Bilie Jean etc . Why not a dvd of the Victory Tour with MJ at his vocal peak ?

Reactions: ssj
Check this out. Underneath the picture of the album it says: "Product may differ to image displayed".

https://townsendmusic.store/product/96833

They may be working on that not so great looking logo.
It does not mean they are changing the logo. It just means the image is not an actual picture of the product (which has not yet been manufactured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back