Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see Hot Street as a single, but a b-side? Are they still a thing in the age of streaming?
they aren’t unfortunately but it would a great opportunity for the estate to do a limited physical release for the fans and it would boost the performance of the song on the charts and make the thriller 40 campaign more exciting

Reactions: ssj
Iirc, one of the engineers who worked on the album sessions said there's about 3 or 4 finished songs and anything between 10 and 20 unfinished tracks in various stages of completion. According to him, HIStory was rushed to the point where MJ didn't go for his famous work ethic of trying various ideas. He just got what he felt had the more potential at first and developed them, leaving all the rest aside.

I guess it would explain why a recording from 1988 ended up on the album.
a lot more unreleased/unfinished tracks, but correct there isn't that many "finished" tracks from HIStory sessions.

They have stated that an anniversary for HIStory was indeed planned, but cancelled, due to the COVID pandemic.
Despite of the Estate's official statement about that, the COVID-19 pandemic had nothing to do with a possible anniversary release of the 'HIStory' album.

The COVID-19 pandemic did not really affect studio album releases, anniversary album releases, and so on.

Look at all those artists and producers who were able to continue working on their albums, just like they did before that pandemic.

As a matter of fact, the COVID-19 pandemic led to the release of more albums, because they had more time on their hands, so they spent that time on working on their new music.

The COVID-19 pandemic mainly affected public events that people physically attend, such as music festivals, music awards, concert tours.

Despite of the Estate's official statement about that, the COVID-19 pandemic had nothing to do with a possible anniversary release of the 'HIStory' album.

The COVID-19 pandemic did not really affect studio album releases, anniversary album releases, and so on.

Look at all those artists and producers who were able to continue working on their albums, just like they did before that pandemic.

As a matter of fact, the COVID-19 pandemic led to the release of more albums, because they had more time on their hands, so they spent that time on working on their new music.

The COVID-19 pandemic mainly affected public events that people physically attend, such as music festivals, music awards, concert tours.
Countless artists postponed new projects at the outset of the pandemic, most of which weren’t even public knowledge until afterwards. Also, let’s not forget the impact COVID had (and continues to have) on supply chains, deliveries, and manufacturing. Can’t release a project that can’t be made or delivered, can you?

I’m not entirely convinced the estate had big plans for HIStory in 2020, but saying COVID couldn’t have impacted them is objectively false.

The Beatles were supposed to release the 50th anniversary of Let It Be in 2020. Guess what? They didn’t! Why? Because of COVID. They originally planned to release the Get Back documentary in theaters, which they subsequently couldn’t do, so they waited a year.

The HIStory Tour was most likely going to be released in theaters for HIStory 25, and with the whole world shut down, it, also, wouldn’t have been possible.

Furthermore, COVID has also affected the manufacturing and distribution of vinyl discs and CD’s. Especially in the summer of 2020, when the HIStory album was going to have its anniversary.

Countless artists postponed new projects at the outset of the pandemic, most of which weren’t even public knowledge until afterwards. Also, let’s not forget the impact COVID had (and continues to have) on supply chains, deliveries, and manufacturing. Can’t release a project that can’t be made or delivered, can you?

I’m not entirely convinced the estate had big plans for HIStory in 2020, but saying COVID couldn’t have impacted them is objectively false.
If the COVID-19 pandemic was the real reason, they could have easily delayed for some months the anniversary release of the 'HIStory' album.

The fact that they cancelled that anniversary release hints that the release of the 'Leaving Neverland' 2019 documentary is the real reason behind that cancellation.
The HIStory Tour was most likely going to be released in theaters for HIStory 25, and with the whole world shut down, it, also, wouldn’t have been possible.
The theatrical release of the HIStory Tour was apparently cancelled due to the backlash (against that release) that the Estate received from fans.

Fans believe that the HIStory Tour does not portray Michael Jackson (as a performer) in a favourable light, because of the extensive use of lip-syncing.

Note that fans' feedback plays an important role for the Estate.

The change of the artwork (front cover) of the 'Thriller 40' album apparently was also because of fans' feedback.

The theatrical release of the HIStory Tour was apparently cancelled due to the backlash (against that release) that the Estate received from fans.
Fans have been vocal about their opinions about a release of the HIStory Tour for a long time, ever since John Branca first announced they were planning on releasing the Munich show back in 2012.

However, the fans' opinions have not stopped them from remastering it and mentioning such a release multiple times over the years. It also hasn't stopped them from showing snippets of the Prague show last year at the Birthday celebration in Vegas. The fact that a remastered version of Munich was considered for release in 2020 shows that an anniversary edition of HIStory was, indeed, in the works.

So, how many songs do we know of from the Thriller sessions? According to Quincy, about thirty songs were recorded with only nine making it in. Which ones do you guys know of (besides Carousel, Hot Street, Nite Line, and any other tracks that have leaked)?

John Barnes worked on 'Buffalo Bill' since the song's conception until its final stages.

"It's great but we did not finish it completely, I love it and I'd like to help finish it, it's a discarded Victory [song] and it was considered for inclusion in Bad, It was one of the first complete song I did for and with Michael" (John Barnes)

Matt Forger also worked on this song.

In any case, 'Buffalo Bill' is not going to be on the 'Thriller 40' album simply because it was not meant for the 'Thriller' album.

looking forward to the unreleased tracks as I search for them everyday on YouTube but its rare to find anything I haven't heard in a while but I would much prefer a HIStory in the making triple CD boxset full of gems!

Fans believe that the HIStory Tour does not portray Michael Jackson (as a performer) in a favourable light, because of the extensive use of lip-syncing.
Aside from a belief between the fans,that also seems to be the truth because:
1. As you said,extensive use of lip-synching brings nothing but shame to the public image of the said perfomer. The more famous the artist is,the worse the case gets/could get. And rightfully so. I don't pay big money just to hear some old, CD album version vocals I could have easily listened to at home. No reason for anybody else to do so either. I can buy a poster and stare at Michael's picture and put the Bad CD in the background...and that way I get the "History Tour Experience ".Michael didn't even bother to,at least, pre-record his vocals before the show or in 96/97 actually...it's horrible.
2. While the show is mostly lip-synched,there are some,VERY FEW live moments in each show and for a lot of the shows those live vocals are simply horrible :Seoul 96(first night), Auckland 96(check the WBSS performance ), of course Munich 97, Tunis 96(again check the WBSS performance). Simply abysmal. (tho there are some great vocal moments even during this tour,ironically enough,for example the ad-libs in Beat it,during the second show in Seoul)
3. Not only his vocals (or more like the lack of them) are a big issue here,but during the History Tour also Michael's energy is ,during several shows,at the lowest point that it could be or that we had ever seen from him. Examples:Helsinki 97,Copenhagen 97,Seoul 96,Johannesburg 97 ,Copenhagen 97 Birthday Show. Of course there are energetic shows too there,but still. Still.
So of course the History Tour should never be released. It's by all means(energy wise,vocal quality wise,what's being lip-synched vs what's being sung live wise) Michael's worst ever tour. Just because he was smooth in his dancing here and there and just because this band happened to be maybe his best band,in the end it doesn’t really mean anything at all (after all Michael wasn’t playing in that band ,it was a selection of A class musicians,and we can thank Brad for the band sounding so good).
So yeah...

Reactions: ssj
John Barnes worked on 'Buffalo Bill' since the song's conception until its final stages.

"It's great but we did not finish it completely, I love it and I'd like to help finish it, it's a discarded Victory [song] and it was considered for inclusion in Bad, It was one of the first complete song I did for and with Michael" (John Barnes)

Matt Forger also worked on this song.

In any case, 'Buffalo Bill' is not going to be on the 'Thriller 40' album simply because it was not meant for the 'Thriller' album.
Needs finishing touches but I bet it has to be pretty complete based on the info we have.

Not meant for Thriller but the Estate did mention "Thriller era" tracks, so one can wish.

Needs finishing touches but I bet it has to be pretty complete based on the info we have.

Not meant for Thriller but the Estate did mention "Thriller era" tracks, so one can wish.
Buffalo Bill is for sure a possibility considering they did say thriller era songs. I would love to hear this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back