Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t buy this for the longest time, but upon double-checking the credits (assuming they’re to be believed), I feel like it’s the only possible timeline. It was engineered by Keith Seppanen, who worked on most of Jermaine’s early-‘80s albums, and mixed by Bill Bottrell, who joined the Jackson crew in 1983-84. It could’ve been written in the late ‘70s, but it was definitely recorded no earlier than 1981.
Recorded in 1979

I didn’t buy this for the longest time, but upon double-checking the credits (assuming they’re to be believed), I feel like it’s the only possible timeline. It was engineered by Keith Seppanen, who worked on most of Jermaine’s early-‘80s albums, and mixed by Bill Bottrell, who joined the Jackson crew in 1983-84. It could’ve been written in the late ‘70s, but it was definitely recorded no earlier than 1981.
Now that I think about this, it does seem less like a OTW outtake and more like a Thriller outtake that was reconsidered for Victory, hence the mix by Bottrell. Either that, or there were three seperate versions: a home demo from 1978 in the same vein of DSTYGE and WDAN, the 1982 version recorded in the Thriller sessions, and the 1984 mix by Bottrell that might've been lightly considered for Victory.

You guys please stop guessing the tracklist, it's getting pointless now...
Also, in case you don't know, before the announcement of first track, several previously released Thriller era tracks posted on YouTube are labeled as "track 11", "track 13", "track 15" and "track 17" of a non-existent album, and these songs are Got The Hots (track 11), Carousel (track 13), Can't Get Outta The Rain (track 15) and Sunset Driver (track 17). Now that Got The Hots is confirmed as indeed the 11th track, so we can be sure of track 13, 15 and 17.
Only 3 vacancies are left for disc 2 and we know Starlight has been taken down on YouTube, so it must be on it. The other 2 spots are for leaked but unreleased songs, i.e. Hot Street (or Slapstick) and Nite Line. And voila, you got a 10-song disc 2.
So it's absolutely no place for other unheard songs, no Rolling The Dice, no Chicago 1945, no Buffalo Bill, no Nymphette Lover. Nope!
Also we can say goodbye to The Lady In My Life (Uncut Version), Don't Matter To Me (Demo) and other Freddie Mercury collaborations.
Well, we have The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection:
- track 2-13 - Carousel
- track 2-11 - Got The Hots

On The Ultimate Collection:
- track 1-17 - Sunset Driver (Demo)

I cannot so far anything for Can't Get Outta The Rain where it's track 15, so this theory of releasing already released rare demos is plausible.

Listening to Sunset Driver again...you can hear the first 2 verses and most of the chorus vocals sound very early Thriller era, but the bridge and 3rd verse sound like they are from the Off The Wall era, Mike's voice sounds drastically higher and more in keeping with his pre Triumph era vocal

Possibly two different takes put together?

Worst case scenario:

01 The Girl Is Mine (Solo Demo) [It's notably absent from the exclusive digital demos, so maybe it's being saved for Disc 2.]
02 Got the Hots (Demo)
03 Someone in the Dark [It's also placed in between Got the Hots and Carousel on TUFEC.]
04 Carousel
05 Behind the Mask (Mike's Mix (Demo))
06 Can't Get Outta the Rain
07 The Toy (Demo)
08 Sunset Driver (Demo)
09 Starlight / Nite Line / Slapstick / Hot Street (Demo)
10 She's Trouble (Demo)

If Someone in the Dark is included, I hope it's not lifted from the 2001 Special Edition where the preceding Quincy Jones interview bleeds into the first second of the track. The version featured on the 2004 Ultimate Collection is the one to go with.

Last edited:
Listening to Sunset Driver again...you can hear the first 2 verses and most of the chorus vocals sound very early Thriller era, but the bridge and 3rd verse sound like they are from the Off The Wall era, Mike's voice sounds drastically higher and more in keeping with his pre Triumph era vocal

You're right. That bridge is the same as Any Love from the Rufus and Chaka Khan album Quincy produced in 1979.

It makes you wonder what the estate has or what the strength of what they have is when xscape was mostly leaked songs and then thriller 40 is so far entirely either leaked or alternatives from Michael album

Not the case, in my opinion. His voice sounds higher because he sang higher up in his range. The tone becomes brighter because the notes are much higher than on the verses.

I doubt they would have kept a years-old take just on the bridge, while re-recording the rest.

Edit: But then again, Earth Song contains vocals from the 1990 demo, so nothing is impossible, I guess.

It makes you wonder what the estate has or what the strength of what they have is when xscape was mostly leaked songs and then thriller 40 is so far entirely either leaked or alternatives from Michael album
And OTW 30 had no demos whatsoever. Though, some nice chalk.
Also, someone mentioned the 5th anniversary of Scream. I hat completely forgotten this existed. Also had no new stuff, though.

It's not Estate's fault that all these Thriller outtakes leaked. It's thieves fault who first stole those songs from the studio, then it's "collectors" fault who purchased those stolen songs on black market and were re-selling them to fans. Then, finally it's fans fault who spread those songs all over the internet.

Also, it's not songs fault that they ended up on the internet for free, often in low quality. All these songs deserve to be officially released in highest possible quality and Thriller 40 is the perfect place for them. I hope Starlight, Nite Line and Trouble are all there.

For the exact same reason, we'll have these same discussions when they announce Dangerous anniversary album with all the leaked Bryan Loren tracks, If You Don't Love Me and all the songs illegally recorded and leaked by the fans from various seminars by MJ's engineers.

It's not Estate's fault that all these Thriller outtakes leaked. It's thieves fault who first stole those songs from the studio, then it's "collectors" fault who purchased those stolen songs on black market and were re-selling them to fans. Then, finally it's fans fault who spread those songs all over the internet.

Also, it's not songs fault that they ended up on the internet for free, often in low quality. All these songs deserve to be officially released in highest possible quality and Thriller 40 is the perfect place for them. I hope Starlight, Nite Line and Trouble are all there.

For the exact same reason, we'll have these same discussions when they announce Dangerous anniversary album with all the leaked Bryan Loren tracks, If You Don't Love Me and all the songs illegally recorded and leaked by the fans from various seminars by MJ's engineers.
the only complaint is the fact we're getting a released song lmao

What is the source for this? You mean the vocals are from 1982, or just music, or both?
k2qujYw.png

L8MzDS9.png

I’m not slamming them for releasing leaked songs, all though releasing songs that has already had an official release is questionable, but there should be a good ratio between leaked and unreleased/unheard songs. It’s just simply impossible for me to buy a project where I already heard 90%. Whether that makes me a bad person for listening to the songs when they leaked is irrelevant because I know many other people share the same opinion.

So if the Estate goes through with their stick the head in the sand philosophy they cannot be mad or surprised when the hardcore fan base, their main target audience aren’t buying this. All I ask for is a good ratio. I would be over the moon if they included 3-4 unheard songs.

It is what is it. Everyone was warned about getting their hopes up to just be dissatisfied. Yes, the leak tracks will be released we all knew that was going to happen. Nobody said you had to buy anything. I’m not planning on buying any I already have. The only thing so far I would buy is the Toy. Now if Sony makes you buy the entire album to get a particular song that would be a problem. Most of the songs are not that strong anyway thats why they were not on Thriller.. Hopefully we get Thriller video in HD.

I’m surprised got the hots gets shot down by many, I find it extremely catchy. It fits the thriller vibe completely. I think the thriller outtakes are my favorites easily. Some of the Dangerous outtakes (work that body, if you don’t love me) for example sound below par to me.
I also don’t understand some complaints that there is no unheard stuff while 2 songs revealed so far have never been heard or leaked by the fans. We basically got 2 remixes of the toy and behind the mask and that’s it.

For me it is shaping up very well and I hope that Carousel, Hot Street, Nightline and Starlight will be the next songs. What the other 2 tracks are going to be is anyone’s guess. I think it will be a big surprise for all of us in a good way.

perfect 💜 that’s all..

You know what would be awesome? If someone make a filtered acapella of sunset driver and puts in the instrumental for blood on the dance floor. Just to get a sense of how it would sound like. We probably would need to de-pitch the vocals to match the same key
I just tried to do that in my head after reading that lol. But at this point....I just care about hearing the new master vinyl & hoping for 4k shorts. I seen thriller 3d & I really cannot believe it's been 5yrs.... they should've waited then to show it.. & the worst part is that it's not even confirmed if they will release it. Thriller only has 3 official shorts so idk why it would be an issue not to remaster & release them.

Im not blaming the estate. The point im trying to make is that with all the dozens of completed MJ songs for Xscape and all the demos for Thriller its interesting that it just so happens to be that what has been leaked is what the estate decide to also coincidentally release. Its gives an indication of the strength of material they have

I'd say there is genuinely about 15-25 unleaked songs with fully/almost complete vocals that the estate are in possession of, and considering they want to stretch the archive out for the next hundred years, they are definitely going to be selective in what they choose to unvault, so of course they are going to release leaked songs (though, I feel they will release different mixes of the songs in thriller 40).

Did the Estate ever said anything about the songs on disc 2? Did they say that the disc 2 will contain only previously unreleased material?

If they said that, then Got The Hots should not be there and they lied.

If they never said anything, then I'm sure that among other 6 songs will for sure be Carousel & Someone In The Dark.

My guess about remaining 6 tracks is: Starlight, Nite Line, Trouble, Carousel, Someone In The Dark & The Lady In My Life (Full version).

Did the Estate ever said anything about the songs on disc 2? Did they say that the disc 2 will contain only previously unreleased material?
"Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson announced today that MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 40, a double CD set comprised of Michael’s original masterpiece and an exciting bonus CD of rarities and demos"

"
Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos"

After being extremely disappointed with both the sound quality and the musical quality of the remixes on Thriller 25, Bad 25 and the Jacksons reissues, I honestly don't have high hopes for this. I really can't be bothered to buy the album yet again, just to hear a 2020 pop "star" that I've never heard of butcher the songs.

For me, it all depends on the demos. But basically there's a 99% chance that I will not bit T40.

On the other hand, the SACD version does interest me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back