Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson announced today that MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 40, a double CD set comprised of Michael’s original masterpiece and an exciting bonus CD of rarities and demos"

"
Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos"
To be honest, "Features Thriller era bonus material INCLUDING previously unreleased demos" could easily be interpreted as anything (meaning released demos for example) along (including) previously unreleased demos.

Sly, sly

To be honest, "Features Thriller era bonus material INCLUDING previously unreleased demos" could easily be interpreted as anything (meaning released demos for example) along (including) previously unreleased demos.

Sly, sly

Very interesting they can write blurbs like that correctly but the song blurbs get written by a primary school child 😁

It appears they are putting the disc together using just the original songs that did not make Thriller.

That is a smart thing to do considering we can listen to this disc as a complementary piece to the album without much overlapping of the material. Got the Hots should be included for completists sake wether or not it was already released. The song was never actually released in North America and I don’t think the common listener may realize it’s on the fan extras collection on iTunes. Carousel should be included too in its full length…hopefully the uncut one and not the 3:40 version. I see nothing wrong with what they’re doing so far. This is a good thing to see.

It is also interesting to note they never mentioned Thriller 25 when talking about Got The Hots, only the King of Pop compilations.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssj
It is also interesting to note they never mentioned Thriller 25 when talking about Got The Hots, only the King of Pop compilations.
I think that’s because 95% of the population would recognize it from KOP. It’s still worth mentioning, but I wouldn’t call it anything other than catering to the majority.

hopefully the uncut one and not the 3:40 version.
Tbh, there's no significant difference btw 3:40 edit and full version.

I'm looking more forward for an uncut version of TLIML. (it still puzzles me why it wasn't released in 2008 despite being announced by the label)

"Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson announced today that MICHAEL JACKSON THRILLER 40, a double CD set comprised of Michael’s original masterpiece and an exciting bonus CD of rarities and demos"

"
Disc 2: Features Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos"
Ok.. so they are doing exactly what they said here: rarities and demos (Got The Hots is previously released rarity). "Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos" - Thriller era, so not just the Thriller sessions and outtakes (The Toy). And the main word here is INCLUDING. So basically mix of previously released rare (in their opinion) songs INCLUDING some previously unreleased ones. So we can expect Carousel and Someone In The Dark FOR SURE!

I don't mind that. But for me, it's very stupid decision to limit CD2 to only 10 songs when you have space for 10 more. Why put Billie Jean, Beat It, WBSS & PYT Demos on Disc 3 that is only digital? Why not put all of them + The Girl Is Mine Demo from 2008 CD single + leaked but unreleased demos on CD2?

Why re-release 2008 remixes on Thriller 40 in 2022 on that disc 3? If they wanted some remixes on disc 3, they should have gone for really rare original remixes, 7" and 12" single versions and radio edits where some of them are commercially unavailable and Vinyl only mixes, for example Human Nature (from Japanese CD Single) or Vinyl only edit of The Girl Is Mine without the rap or Mexican Promo Vinyl version of Beat It with repeated Van Halen guitar solo. Or Instrumentals, or Billie Jean Pepsi versions.. AHHHH.. The Estate :(

Last edited:
Ok.. so they are doing exactly what they said here: rarities and demos (Got The Hots is previously released rarity). "Thriller-era bonus material including previously unreleased demos" - Thriller era, so not just the Thriller sessions and outtakes (The Toy). And the main word here is INCLUDING. So basically mix of previously released rare (in their opinion) songs INCLUDING some previously unreleased ones. So we can expect Carousel and Someone In The Dark FOR SURE!

I don't mind that. But for me, it's very stupid decision to limit CD2 to only 10 songs when you have space for 10 more. Why put Billie Jean, Beat It, WBSS & PYT Demos on Disc 3 that is only digital? Why not put all of them + The Girl Is Mine Demo from 2008 CD single + leaked but unreleased demos on CD2?

Why re-release 2008 remixes on Thriller 40 in 2022 on that disc 3? If they wanted some remixes on disc 3, they should have gone for really rare original remixes, 7" and 12" single versions and radio edits where some of them are commercially unavailable and Vinyl only mixes, for example Human Nature (from Japanese CD Single) or Vinyl only edit of The Girl Is Mine without the rap or Mexican Promo Vinyl version of Beat It with repeated Van Halen guitar solo. Or Instrumentals, or Billie Jean Pepsi versions.. AHHHH.. The Estate :(
They have put the Human Nature 7" on the digital.

They have put the Human Nature 7" on the digital.
Yeah they did, but I bet it's the same version that is on The Essential Michael Jackson and Thriller 25: Limited Japanese Single Collection and not the one from Japanese 3" CD Single with the additional synths on the bridge.

The Estate never fail to fail. Most of these songs are already on the net and have been for over 10 years at least. Dangerous out takes would have been far better to have been done on anniversary for that album although I am thinking the Estate has very little compared to what has been previously thought. Also where is the Victory or Triumph tour concerts , they were MJ at his vocal peak . No miming , no stupid tricks. Just the music. Will definetly not be buying this . "The Toy" I actually think was used on the Michael Album with the fake songs. Just touched up a bit.

The Estate never fail to fail. Most of these songs are already on the net and have been for over 10 years at least. Dangerous out takes would have been far better to have been done on anniversary for that album although I am thinking the Estate has very little compared to what has been previously thought. Also where is the Victory or Triumph tour concerts , they were MJ at his vocal peak . No miming , no stupid tricks. Just the music. Will definetly not be buying this . "The Toy" I actually think was used on the Michael Album with the fake songs. Just touched up a bit.
Again. Leaked songs are not leaked by the Estate. They are leaked by people who stole them and re-sold them. Those songs should be released now. That is not questionable at all. The only questionable thing is the selection or omission of other tracks which were previously released.

Of course, you don't have to buy it, you can continue to enjoy the low quality mixes online or pirate the new release.

The Toy has vocals and music recorded in 1981. Best Of Joy has the vocals and music recorded in 2008 with additional music and production done in 2010. Same song, slightly different lyrics.

Again. Leaked songs are not leaked by the Estate. They are leaked by people who stole them and re-sold them. Those songs should be released now. That is not questionable at all. The only questionable thing is the selection or omission of other tracks which were previously released.

Of course, you don't have to buy it, you can continue to enjoy the low quality mixes online or pirate the new release.

The Toy has vocals and music recorded in 1981. Best Of Joy has the vocals and music recorded in 2008 with additional music and production done in 2010. Same song, slightly different lyrics.
I'm one of the more vocal anti-estate type of people in this community, but even I can't blame them for including mostly already leaked demos. Because they too are also good songs, and might even be better than the unheard ones. So they should be officially released firstly, before the unheard ones. By balancing this, and also giving us 2-3 new unheard songs (for the hardcore fans), I think it is fair.

It was never their "fault" for the leaked stuff. However, I could go on forever about how much better this project could have been in the hands of the right people (like a lot of fans and "scholars" of MJ). Even I could cook up a way better project than what they are doing, but that's another story.

I think everyone needs to remember that thriller 50 will definitely be a thing, most likely with each disk being:
Disk 1: Thriller album
Disk 2 : Thriller album song demos
Disk 3: Thriller 25 bonus tracks
Disk 4 : Thriller 40 bonus tracks
Disk 5: unreleased demos

Something like this.

Sadly, they can't release any Jacksons concert because of The Jacksons. They don't want to release a Jacksons concert for whatever reason

I think everyone needs to remember that thriller 50 will definitely be a thing, most likely with each disk being:
Disk 1: Thriller album
Disk 2 : Thriller album song demos
Disk 3: Thriller 25 bonus tracks
Disk 4 : Thriller 40 bonus tracks
Disk 5: unreleased demos

Something like this.
I think it will be including different takes and already released mixes and unreleased songs including maybe around 5 unheard songs if they are really going to release an Thriller anniversary album for the third time

I think there’s a bit of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” with including the already-released demos on disc 2. There’s already a lot of disappointment with “Got the Hots” showing up. I think limiting the demos to the digital-only version makes the most sense.

Also, as Beano Wild pointed out, there’s almost certainly going to be a Thriller 50, which (I hope) will be the more grandiose set. I can’t imagine they’re gonna blow everything worthwhile here. (I still think the fact that they’re releasing Thriller 40 in general is sorta dumb, but what can you do?)

I think they release Thriller 40 because they want to release something and didn't have a better idea. But I mean, Thriller outtakes and remastered short films are amazing!

It isn't the Estate's fault that corrupt fans leaked songs on the internet. Also, it isn't the Estate's fault that the fans like you listen to the leaked songs. I personally don't listen to leaked songs, so songs like She's Trouble is a new song for me. And these leaked songs deserved to be released officially and what better place to release them than an anniversary edition of Thriller.

Victory and Triumph concerts can't be released without the consent and involvement of the Jackson brothers, as they weren't solo projects involving just Michael.

The Toy is an earlier version of Best of Joy, which was recorded again in 2008. The Toy features vocals from the Thriller era.

Also, nobody cares if you aren't buying this. Most people stream anyway nowadays, so if fans like you don't buy Thriller 40 and the sales are low, it doesn't matter. It is the era of streaming.

Last edited:
It was never their "fault" for the leaked stuff. However, I could go on forever about how much better this project could have been in the hands of the right people (like a lot of fans and "scholars" of MJ). Even I could cook up a way better project than what they are doing, but that's another story.
Exactly!

Yeah they did, but I bet it's the same version that is on The Essential Michael Jackson and Thriller 25: Limited Japanese Single Collection and not the one from Japanese 3" CD Single with the additional synths on the bridge.
The actual 7" remix of Human Nature is on Qobuz edition of The Essential Michael Jackson

The actual 7" remix of Human Nature is on Qobuz edition of The Essential Michael Jackson
Yep, OnirMJ wasn't exactly wrong, though
the original release of The Essential Michael Jackson did indeed have "fake" edits of the tracks, that were just the standard album versions but edited to fit the length of the original edits.
but, just like you said, the qobuz/streaming versions of the album replaced these fake edits with the real deal :p

Yep, OnirMJ wasn't exactly wrong, though
the original release of The Essential Michael Jackson did indeed have "fake" edits of the tracks, that were just the standard album versions but edited to fit the length of the original edits.
but, just like you said, the qobuz/streaming versions of the album replaced these fake edits with the real deal :p
I didn't say he was wrong and I do know the original The Essential Michael Jackson has fake edits. I just simply pointed out there is a real single mix on streaming platforms, so there is chance that the 7" remix on digital bonus can be a authenic mix.

I wouldn't count out the possibility of 1 of the MJ/Freddie Mercury demos being on this release. There is an interview back in the mid/late 80s with Freddie talking about the tracks, and they were worked on when Thriller was coming, but it didn't get finished. Technically they are Thriller tracks, even though Michael and the Jacksons redid State Of Shock with Mick Jagger, and Freddie would go on to do his own version of There Must Be More To Life Than This.

Wouldn't mind these being released, or even if we finally heard Victory.

I wouldn't count out the possibility of 1 of the MJ/Freddie Mercury demos being on this release. There is an interview back in the mid/late 80s with Freddie talking about the tracks, and they were worked on when Thriller was coming, but it didn't get finished. Technically they are Thriller tracks, even though Michael and the Jacksons redid State Of Shock with Mick Jagger, and Freddie would go on to do his own version of There Must Be More To Life Than This.

Wouldn't mind these being released, or even if we finally heard Victory.
I don't think Brian and Roger would approve.

It's not impossible that an earlier demo with MJ only vocals does exist.

Sadly, they can't release any Jacksons concert because of The Jacksons. They don't want to release a Jacksons concert for whatever reason
Who said this and where did this really come from? The more I hear this the more I think it's bs because it doesn't make sense. Haven't the jacksons released re-relases of their albums, remixes of their songs and they were the one who uploaded the never before seen heartbreak hotel live from the Victory tour on their channel. They also asked/teased fans if they wanted to see a Victory tour concert get a full release back in 2017. Why wouldn't they want to release concerts?

Originally they did want to release a Victory Tour concert but Michael vetoed it. MJ personally hated the whole Victory tour , then the Don King comments about MJ apparently refusing to accept that he is an N word performer and always will be. The Brothers wanted the tour to continue but MJ announced at the final one during Shake Your Body and according to someone , one of the brothers called MJ a little prick . Basically it was a shame because MJ's live voice was incredible in that tour. Though he did not want to do it. They never performed a single song from the Victory album which spoke volumes I guess too. Though i Hope one day they do release it but maybe they not doing that out of respect for MJ as they moved on to a degree.

The toy recorded also in 1991 and in 2008. The version from 2008 have third verse not released they touch version 2008 again and released it so we have 3 version not released yet 1981 .1991 and 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back