What's the max you think Invincible could have sold overall

Was MJ's health good enough to perform 50 shows then?
Michael Jackson's health was not good enough to perform even 1 show during that period, let alone 50 shows.
MJ stated it sold 10 million within the first 12 months.
Epic Records announced via their website (in January 2002) that the 'Invincible' album by that time had sold 5.2 million copies worldwide.

But, from that point onwards, sales of that album remained rather stagnant.

No no no. Butterflies song is not good enough to spend money on video for this song.
It's a better song than "You Rock My World" and definitely "Cry" lol

That's subjective, anyway. Music videos help promote both the song and album. If it had a video airing on TRL, then "Butterflies" might have just broken the top 10 on the Hot 100.

With a shorter tracklist 20mio maybe

It's gotten to the point Invincible Threads spring up like jump scares now. I think I'm safe, but I double check and get chipped

Anyway. I really get tired of people doubting Unbreakable. That song would've definitely taken over the airwaves.

the song is bloated to work on radio lol

"you rock my world" is easier on the ears and more appealing to the casual listener

Touring helps, especially if you actually perform the new songs which is something Michael didn’t seem to realize but in the end the real quality wasn’t there. It remains a poor album to end a career with.
Perhaps a poor album compared to expectations, but granted compared to a lot of other artists it was overall a good album to send off his career.
One final classic in YRMW and some great songs for the 2000s with some modern energy (BOD, Heaven Can Wait, Threatened, Unbreakable, Whatever Happens), + some sentimental songs like TLC, Speechless and Don't Walk away.

Also I prefer YRMW to the Minogue song that came out at the time, YRMW has certainly aged a lot better as well.

Perhaps a poor album compared to expectations, but granted compared to a lot of other artists it was overall a good album to send off his career.
One final classic in YRMW and some great songs for the 2000s with some modern energy (BOD, Heaven Can Wait, Threatened, Unbreakable, Whatever Happens), + some sentimental songs like TLC, Speechless and Don't Walk away.

Also I prefer YRMW to the Minogue song that came out at the time, YRMW has certainly aged a lot better as well.
Yeah, actually. Compare Invincible to most artists final records, see what stacks up.

it's not just the length, the song itself is too overproduced. not very radio-friendly at all.

mj bragging about himself on such heavy beats while tastelessly recycling an old biggie verse would make for a terrible lead single in 2001. musically, it's also like a retread of "scream" with the angry, futuristic vibe but without the novelty of mj collabing with his sister.

you rock my world brings to mind not mj's past troubles, but his glory days before the controversy. far more pleasant for the casual listener. "this is the MJ i remember" they said when it came out. "unbreakable" just covers ground mj already explored on history, his previous major album. honestly, i could only see it doing well overseas in other countries, so maybe it could have been released only in those countries later on. in america? certified flop.

anyone remember George Michael's music video of 'Freeek'? afaik it was barely aired because it was controversial in the 00s.
Michael should have done something similar with 2000 Watts to boost sales. that would have been massive!

it's not just the length, the song itself is too overproduced. not very radio-friendly at all.

mj bragging about himself on such heavy beats while tastelessly recycling an old biggie verse would make for a terrible lead single in 2001. musically, it's also like a retread of "scream" with the angry, futuristic vibe but without the novelty of mj collabing with his sister.

you rock my world brings to mind not mj's past troubles, but his glory days before the controversy. far more pleasant for the casual listener. "this is the MJ i remember" they said when it came out. "unbreakable" just covers ground mj already explored on history, his previous major album. honestly, i could only see it doing well overseas in other countries, so maybe it could have been released only in those countries later on. in america? certified flop.
Both songs would appeal to different groups, okay. I don't think it's impossible. Anyway you asked for people's opinions.

anyone remember George Michael's music video of 'Freeek'? afaik it was barely aired because it was controversial in the 00s.
Michael should have done something similar with 2000 Watts to boost sales. that would have been massive!
I like your new unique name 🤩

The way they wanted to treat it, maybe. If they were smart, then that would've been the one song we'd gotten
Unbreakable planned to be symbol! the main, the lead single of Invincible album. Choreography of this song was one of the best, Michael have ever created

🤣🤣🤣 Yeah yeah. Say it to prison version of They Don't Care About Us

The WHOLE Invincible album was kinda final chapter of Michael's ground explored through FOUR albums. With "Resurrection" album Michael planned to start brand new era! Without angry songs. That's why we have to respect his choice

The WHOLE Invincible album was kinda final chapter of Michael's ground explored through FOUR albums. With "Resurrection" album Michael planned to start brand new era! Without angry songs. That's why we have to respect his choice
You brought this up before under your banned profile Michael Afton - Resurrection does not exist or ever did . It's a fake album title made up by a random back in the early 2000s.

Please stop spouting lies to fit your narrative. There was no Resurrection album.

mj bragging about himself on such heavy beats while tastelessly recycling an old biggie verse would make for a terrible lead single in 2001.
This is a Hot 100 chart from 2001. I don't think the beat on Unbreakable is really any more heavy than the one on the #1 song here Stutter. As far as recycling songs, The Beatles did it with John Lennon demos in the 1990s with Free As A Bird & Real Love and again recently with Now And Then and they were popular songs.
786bd86492a69c619f055edbea1b9a7e7cdb0574.jpg

This is a Hot 100 chart from 2001. I don't think the beat on Unbreakable is really any more heavy than the one on the #1 song here Stutter.
Unbreakable was definitely contemporary to the Y2K sound. Even with the retro 90s esque production that personally I think has aged better to most of the early 21st century sounds. That same sound would work well for Brandy anyway, in a more organic direction.

The "Stutter" remix sounds nothing like "Unbreakable", lol. Having some hip-hop influence doesn't equal being heavy on digital beats. It actually sounds closer to "You Rock My World" and Darkchild's prior hit singles. "Unbreakable" is more like 'N Sync's "Pop" and Britney Spears' "Slave For You", which basically flopped.

Last edited:
"Stutter" sounds nothing like "Unbreakable", lol. It sounds closer to "You Rock My World". Not heavy at all.
Didn't say they sound alike. You said the beat was too heavy on Mike's song, but Stutter has a heavy beat and was #1. How can you determine what mainstream listeners like anyway? Wasn't you the person who said in another thread that Drake's music wasn't any good? Yet Drake has more songs on the Hot 100 chart than any other artist in history, around 300 and I think he has more songs in the Top 10 too. So that means what you and what general listeners like are 2 different things.

Does someone think this is heavy? Lol. Sounds like "You Rock My World", especially in the chorus:
Has that same "sparkling" sound that you tend to hear in disco music. That jingle or whatever. Darkchild used it a lot:
That same sound would work well for Brandy anyway, in a more organic direction.

Brandy's Full Moon album can be described like that, actually. Similar futuristic sound, but given a smoother R&B touch so it's more radio-friendly. "What About Us" sounds like a streamlined "Threatened".

Last edited:
I've never particularly liked "Unbreakable". I was listening to it just then to try and figure out what it may have done on the charts or what people even like about it. I can't see how it would have charted well. It's quite long and repetitive and it overstays its welcome. It's not catchy enough to have topped the charts. I just don't see it. Maybe an interesting film clip could have been made for it that would warrant release. I don;t think it's a 'bad' song I just dont see how it is the answer to the Invincible question.

Brandy's Full Moon album can be described like that, actually. Similar futuristic sound, but given a smoother R&B touch so it's more radio-friendly.
So Drake must be more "radio friendly" than anyone else. 🤣 This was a more recent #1 hit and WAP has a beat more featured than both Unbreakable & Stutter. WAP has more of the old 808 style "boom bass" mix beats.

I've never particularly liked "Unbreakable". I was listening to it just then to try and figure out what it may have done on the charts or what people even like about it. I can't see how it would have charted well. It's quite long and repetitive and it overstays its welcome. It's not catchy enough to have topped the charts. I just don't see it. Maybe an interesting film clip could have been made for it that would warrant release. I don;t think it's a 'bad' song I just dont see how it is the answer to the Invincible question.
I've had the melody of the song in my head since I was 5, without even realizing it was an MJ song.

That was 20 years ago. I disagree, that it's not catchy. It's very catchy.

In fact, you might say that that's really all it's got going for it; it's so infectiously catchy that, you're just kinda going to slot in with all the other catchy songs MJ did, but probably already impacted your early development already and has taken the spot. Along with all the, iconicism involved that made Michael Jackson Michael Jackson. The song is unfortunately lost in the shuffle.

Also too, this music is Not Meant to be listened to Passively. You're supposed to be a little active to it. Even MJs ballads are very dynamic. If you're not a dancer you kinda just might not get it

This is one of my favorite clip montages. It shows the potential of the song really well.

How does a fan-made montage on YouTube made years after the song's release show its potential lol

Back