What's the max you think Invincible could have sold overall

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded "Unbreakable" as a single; it was MJ and many fans' favorite track on the album, plus the planned music video sounded cool. However, it shouldn't have been one of the first three singles. Release the three songs with the biggest chance of success ("You Rock My World", "Butterflies" and "Whatever Happens") first, and then you can release more niche songs. "Unbreakable" for the hardcore fans and "Heaven Can Wait" for the R&B lovers. If there needed to be one more single after that, then maybe I'd go with "Speechless".

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind "Unbreakable" as a single, honestly; it was MJ and a lot of fans' favorite track on the album, plus the planned music video sounded cool. However, it shouldn't have been one of the first three singles. Release the three songs with the biggest chance of success ("You Rock My World", "Butterflies" and "Whatever Happens") first and then you can release more niche songs. "Unbreakable" for the hardcore MJ fans, "Heaven Can Wait" for the R&B crowd and I guess "Threatened" could also be a single, just to see MJ's planned video for that.
Butterflies is a typical R&B song. It's too cliche. Unbreakable is much more innovative

"Unbreakable" is a typical 'N Sync song lol
No no no.
First of all, Michael envisioned creating a dance for Unbreakable that people would remember forever. He would be on the roof of a very tall building with scaffolding, held on the edge by some bandits, and then they would let him go. He would fall down like he was dead, but very slowly the parts of his body would join together and he would turn into fire - dancing in this fire between scaffoldings, as the parts of his body reassembled
Secondly, first song in MJ discography, which is a tribute to his previous collaborator B.I.G, made in rap style and being an anti-tabloid song like Scream from History
And thirdly, Michael planned to make a big hologram of B.I.G for this song (apparently for live performances)
Still you think, that it was not innovative enough? 😉

Mike's music was never innovative. He always did what was popular at the time

funk, disco: Off The Wall album.
adult contemporary: She's Out Of My Life, Human Nature, I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Westcoast: The Girl Is Mine, Baby Be Mine
synth: Bad album
New Jack Swing: Dangerous album
neo soul: Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait

Innovative artists would be James Brown, Scott Joplin, Larry Graham (who created slap bass), Kraftwerk, Funkadelic, Prince, Miles Davis.

No no no.
First of all, Michael envisioned creating a dance for Unbreakable that people would remember forever. He would be on the roof of a very tall building with scaffolding, held on the edge by some bandits, and then they would let him go. He would fall down like he was dead, but very slowly the parts of his body would join together and he would turn into fire - dancing in this fire between scaffoldings, as the parts of his body reassembled
Secondly, first song in MJ discography, which is a tribute to his previous collaborator B.I.G, made in rap style and being an anti-tabloid song like Scream from History
And thirdly, Michael planned to make a big hologram of B.I.G for this song (apparently for live performances)
Oh wow, that sounds really cool man, so neat 🥱

What next? Mel Gibson dressed up as William Wallace shouting Freedom!!! as he rides in and saves Michael's ass from the wet bandits?

Why is he talking about the cancelled music video and not the song itself lol

Mike's music was never innovative. He always did what was popular at the time

funk, disco: Off The Wall album.
adult contemporary: She's Out Of My Life, Human Nature, I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Westcoast: The Girl Is Mine, Baby Be Mine
synth: Bad album
New Jack Swing: Dangerous album
neo soul: Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait

Innovative artists would be James Brown, Scott Joplin, Larry Graham (who created slap bass), Kraftwerk, Funkadelic, Prince, Miles Davis.
HAAHAHAHAHAHH 😂😂😂😂 omg. You are so funny 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I read this message 5 minutes ago and I'm still laughing

HAAHAHAHAHAHH 😂😂😂😂 omg. You are so funny 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I read this message 5 minutes ago and I'm still laughing
What's funny? Even some of his trademarks came from other people: Stevie Wonder was doing "hee hee hee" in the early 1970s. Mike just did it often and Stevie didn't, so it became related to Mike. Just like the moonwalk, which was really an old dance long before breakdancers were doing it. "Shamone" is Mavis Staples. Many singers have said "Owww!" on a song before Mike.

What kind of sound does Mike's music have that is identifiable to him if you take his voice off of it and they're just instrumental songs? That can be done with Prince's 1980s records. Prince even released instrumental albums under the name Madhouse. A lot of R&B artists of that time period copied Prince's sound. Some thought Oh Sheila by Ready For The World was Prince. It was even given a name in the media "Minneapolis sound".

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded "Unbreakable" as a single; it was MJ and many fans' favorite track on the album, plus the planned music video sounded cool. However, it shouldn't have been one of the first three singles. Release the three songs with the biggest chance of success ("You Rock My World", "Butterflies" and "Whatever Happens") first, and then you can release more niche songs. "Unbreakable" for the hardcore fans and "Heaven Can Wait" for the R&B lovers. If there needed to be one more single after that, then I'd go with "Speechless".
Fair enough I Guess, that was the overall intention. Blame R.Kelly then. Add another 17 years to his sentence.

Invincible would've sold a lot and here is why. The most successful songs from HIStory were ballads. And I guess this was the reason Invincible had so many. And it had great ones.

Last edited:
After the early 90s Michael's sales were declining year upon year.

The public were bored with Michael towards the late 90s, his trademark look had all become a bit dated and the controversies were more interesting than his music.

Invincible was not a good album compared to his previous work, the man was 43 years old and seen as a weirdo and ridiculed by many.

It is no surprise that the album bombed.

What's funny? Even some of his trademarks came from other people: Stevie Wonder was doing "hee hee hee" in the early 1970s. Mike just did it often and Stevie didn't, so it became related to Mike. Just like the moonwalk, which was really an old dance long before breakdancers were doing it. "Shamone" is Mavis Staples. Many singers have said "Owww!" on a song before Mike.

What kind of sound does Mike's music have that is identifiable to him if you take his voice off of it and they're just instrumental songs? That can be done with Prince's 1980s records. Prince even released instrumental albums under the name Madhouse. A lot of R&B artists of that time period copied Prince's sound. Some thought Oh Sheila by Ready For The World was Prince. It was even given a name in the media "Minneapolis sound".
You know, that your statements make no sense at all. It's like saying, that Mendeleev's Clapeyron equation wasn't created by Mendeleev and Clapeyron, because they used already created parameters. That's not how it works! Michael improved a lot of things and made them iconic! He made them popular! That's why we have to respect him

I experienced it as the opposite at the time, it sounded outdated to me: a repetitive song in the style Timbaland already did years before
Hahahahaha. Show me at least one song, that sound similar to Heartbreaker

I experienced it as the opposite at the time, it sounded outdated to me: a repetitive song in the style Timbaland already did years before
Remember that Michael and Rodney in the end of 1999 literally created dubstep genre! And years after Invincible album dubstep became popular in London! And after that you keep telling that Michael was not innovative enough?

Remember that Michael and Rodney in the end of 1999 literally created dubstep genre! And years after Invincible album dubstep became popular in London! And after that you keep telling that Michael was not innovative enough?
lol, they absolutely did not create dubstep

You know, that your statements make no sense at all. It's like saying, that Mendeleev's Clapeyron equation wasn't created by Mendeleev and Clapeyron, because they used already created parameters. That's not how it works! Michael improved a lot of things and made them iconic! He made them popular! That's why we have to respect him
He did not make disco, neo soul, Westcoast, or New Jack Swing popular. Disco & New Jack Swing was on the way out when Off The Wall & Dangerous were released. Even The Jacksons had a few New Jack Swing songs on 2300 Jackson Street which came out around 2 years before Dangerous. 1979 is when the Disco Demolition riot happened at the baseball game and a lot of Top 40 radio stations in the USA stopped playing anything they considered disco including a lot of R&B acts. The Bee Gees radio airplay in the US instantly died never really recovered, it was like they were banned from radio. Although some songs they produced for other acts did get played like Islands In The Stream by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers. Donna Summer had a hard time too until She Works Hard For The Money. That was only one song though.

How old are you people?? Dubstep is derived from Drum 'n' Bass. And that's London, not the other way around
London and LA are 2 different cities. Michael and Jerkins created dubstep in America! Watch RJ's interview. He confirmed that

London and LA are 2 different cities. Michael and Jerkins created dubstep in America! Watch RJ's interview. He confirmed that
I was a Drum 'n' Bass dj in the 90s: The fast songs on Invincible are inspired by Timbaland's old sound, who was in turn inspired by UK Garage, just like Dubstep was inspired by UK garage, and they both come from DnB

I was a Drum 'n' Bass dj in the 90s: The fast songs on Invincible are inspired by Timbaland's old sound, who was in turn inspired by UK Garage, just like Dubstep was inspired by UK garage, and they both come from DnB
Oh. You was a drum dj? Are you gonna prove it?

Back