Why don't we ever talk about Michael as an artist?

I find it hard to believe that MJ's been in a band since he was 5 years old and never tried to play an instrument. Hell .. we've even seen Randy play piano and bongos.

Plus MJ has had the amibition to write music and produce since he was a kid. So he must of made some time to learn how to play an instrument(s) in that time.

When MJ makes those demo for songs on his album, who is playing the music?

I remember in the mid-80s George Martin was asked, "who is the better musician, Paul or MJ?" Martin had worked with both on SAY SAY SAY amoung other things. Martin's response was that he thinks Paul is a better at the keyboards than MJ.

I interpreted that as "yes MJ plays the keyboard but not as well as Paul does (in Martin's opintion)".
But you are right. For MJ to finally put this debate to rest he would have to play an instrument(s) in public.
I'm not saying he's a master (like Prince is with the guitar) but I think MJ does have instrumentation skills.
[/b]

There HAS been pictures of MJ either playing bongos (from the very early J5 years before signing with Motown) or drums (I know of two photos) or even guitar (on the "Music & Me" cover), but I agree, I actually do wanna see MJ playing one instrument at least. He don't have to prove anything (as some of you are trying to imply, lol) but I just want to see it. :D

I know very well Amadeus is fiction, AS I SAID BEFORE is UP to YOU, to decide what's the truth OK.

Oh and one more thing if you have a very well entrained ear you may know that INVINCIBLE is one of MJ's finest works, but I don't know why are you almost attacking me, see the song Just Lose It From Eminem has a strong secret influence of Two Thousand Watts, is just that Em will never said it.
Now Rayen respect my opinion would you.
[/b]

I meant no disrespect. The way you described the scene from Amadeus made it seem to me as though you believed it to be based on a real life event. So I pointed out the obvious - to avoid confusion.

Sorry! :(

There HAS been pictures of MJ either playing bongos (from the very early J5 years before signing with Motown) or drums (I know of two photos) or even guitar (on the "Music & Me" cover), but I agree, I actually do wanna see MJ playing one instrument at least. He don't have to prove anything (as some of you are trying to imply, lol) but I just want to see it. :D[/b]

Me too!!!! :sarmoti :sarmoti

Wouldn't this just be the icing on the cake. He doesn't have to be a dynamic instrumentalist, just a few bars of something here or there would completely and I mean absolutely completely blow folks minds.

Do it, MJ!!!! . . . and show 'em how BAD you reallyare!!! :imbad (of course this is not necessary, I just want to have something else to brag about. :innocent: )

But I've seen him play! On "Dangerous: The Short Films" theres a small segment where he plays piano and sings a couple verses from "I'll Be There".

As a fan of Michael's I feel I know first hand what a OUTSTANDING artist he is:

I have every single Jackson Five album that was ever released and I am talking about the originals of these albums (not cd's) that I bought as a teenager. ( PRICELESS)

I have every single "The Jacksons" album that was ever released and again the originals:

I have
every single Michael Jackson original albums and CD that was ever released.

I have seen Michael perform live as a member of the Jackson Five, The Jacksons and of course as a solo artist.

I feel very fortunate to have been a fan from the VERY beginning. There are a lot of fans that only know the bad things that they have been bombarded with about Michael. I encourage all fans to buy his music from the earlier years because you can listen to and tell how his muscial style was developed over the years. Listening to those old recordings especially from the Jackson Five days is what is giving me HOPE on his COMEBACK if that is what they want to call it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Oh!! I do not look a day over 21. :D :D :D :D

We know Michael can play, as he is credited on several songs from "HIStory", "Blood On The Dance Floor" and "Invincible" as having done so. I don't understand this continued debate over whether Michael can play instruments or not. He is credited as doing such and we have had several musicians’ state that he can.

There are many people in the industry who are very good at many, many things. But they are not the best at anything. That's what I mean when I say jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Again, quality over quantity is my mantra. What makes Michael special is that, he is truly the master in 3 fields, song, dance, and voice, and if you add on showmanship, then he is surly the best in 4 fields. And I mean the best, I don't just mean really, really good, or one of the top, I mean the best.

If you have someone, and I'm not naming anyone specifically, just anyone, who is really great at many things, but are not the best at any one thing, and you match them against a person who is the best, the very best, at one thing, I will say to you that the person who is the best at that one thing is more talented then that person who is great at many things.

and misspam, that's rightous, lol.

seeing him play a guitar live would be cool

maybe he should beat box instead lol

Too true Victoria. People WOULD get pissed if Michael played instruments and compromised his dancing for it. He's a showman, a performing artist. People bring it up to try and detract from Michael, that comes from Prince fans. They try to raise Prince, or whoever really, above Michael, and so they try to find something Michael can't do to justify that.

Michael can play, but who cares. So can a million and one other people.

Like Victoria said, if only we could perform half as well in our own fields as Michael does in his, we would all be rich and famous.
[/b]
Are you calling me "Victoria"? Whoever that is, I'm not she.

Oh, I'm sorry, I for some reason missed your name there. Momentary lapse.

Anyway though, I think that this thread is successful because people are responding, lol. I was waiting to see if that would happen or not because the initial point was that no one ever wants to talk about Michael as an artist. But you guys are doing that, so bravo.

Can he play the violen? lol. That would be awsome though, I agree. I used to want to be a violenist when I was a kid.

[

I have every single Jackson Five album that was ever released and I am talking about the originals of these albums (not cd's) that I bought as a teenager. ( PRICELESS)

I'm jealous!!! j/k

That is so great. Don't get rid of any of them, they may be worth a lot of money one day.

I meant no disrespect. The way you described the scene from Amadeus made it seem to me as though you believed it to be based on a real life event. So I pointed out the obvious - to avoid confusion.

Sorry! :(
[/b]
Rayen to be honest with you I DO Believe something really happened and that Made sented by Salieri has a mayor part on the tragedy to Mozart.

But I agree that Michael hasn't shown even a fraction of his ability to the public. I can't understand why, but you can see that he is so much greater then even he lets on, as a singer, as a dancer, as a composer. I've heard strories from various people he's worked with or who know him say that he's so much greater in all of those fields then anyone knows. He composes classical, orchestral pieces, he can dance like Astaire, and he has a 4 octive range, etc... He just doesn't show off. Beats me why, lol.
[/quote] from Wbss21

i fully agrree with you about that.
I'm a dancer myself but i never took lessons, i just have a beat inside me, and the moves just go out of me, well, I do have my personal Style.
And i also have many melodies in my mind and I just don't know i just go and tape them with my voice, I though that was not professional but then I read a post by Wbss21 and she said that michael did pretty much the same so I'm flattered.
And I love Mozart as well, Tchaikovski, Bach.
Michael Jackson is the finest dancer that hit this world.
And to me Astaire was a master but Michael is Highly better.

Where Timmy? I'd like to hear that.

I don't think we've even heard how good of a beatboxer Michael is actually. He usually only does it to lay the base of the tracks down, not in a competitive fashion. But I bet he could blow a lot of competitive beatboxers away.

And vanesa, I think that's wonderful that you possess many of the same talents as Michael. Keep at it, and you will only improve your craft.

I couldn't say that Michael is a better dancer then Astiare, Astaire was a genius, but I would say he is every bit as good. Michael is a genius as well. And we too have to remember that Michael is not a trained dancer, as was Astaire, yet he holds the same speed of movement and the same clean, smooth transition between steps as Astaire, the same clean lines. Naturally, Michael is just as great.

I think the greatest aspects to Michael's musical compositions are the vocal arrangements and the percussion sections. Michael is a vocal master, and the background and lead harmonies he comes up with are outstanding and out of this world. And his beats are outrages. I've never heard anything like them. He's got this unparalleled natural rhythm, in every fiber of his being, and that comes through in the percussion arrangements he produces. There's nothing like it.

Astaire could also play the drums very well, as could Sammy Davis JR. There is something about great dancers which allows them to understand beats. I think it is because, as dancers, they have to be able to hit certain positions in time with the music, and it is always the percussion sections which keep a songs time.

Wbss21 Michael Jackson Is a master, and I maintain that he's better than Astaire, but of course Fred was another genius.
And I will never compared myself to the geinus of Michael Thas is imposible. :flowers:
Sammy Davis was better than Astaire, but Michael is better dancer than him, and of course, Michael is a tremendous vocalist and music maker, he's above all the past geniuses, with the exception of Mozart who was very much as his same level in the talent (very different talent) field.

Michael Jackson is the most naturally gifted dancer in the world. His ability in the art form is as great as humanly possible. It s such that, if you gave him any specific dance routine, from any certain dancer, whether that be Fred Astaire, or Sammy Davis JR, or Bill Robinson, after some practice, Michael could reproduce that same routine as well as any dancer in history, and more beautifully then most anyone. That is his natural talent, his physicality as a dancer is the best, his lines and his transitions are the cleanest and most fluid, and his speed of movement is the top. With that natural ability, he could reproduce any dance number at its absolute finest. That's what makes Michael Jackson the best dancer. And he doesn't even show that off, but you can see it there, in his movement. Nobody moves like Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson is the most naturally gifted dancer in the world. His ability in the art form is as great as humanly possible. It s such that, if you gave him any specific dance routine, from any certain dancer, whether that be Fred Astaire, or Sammy Davis JR, or Bill Robinson, after some practice, Michael could reproduce that same routine as well as any dancer in history, and more beautifully then most anyone. That is his natural talent, his physicality as a dancer is the best, his lines and his transitions are the cleanest and most fluid, and his speed of movement is the top. With that natural ability, he could reproduce any dance number at its absolute finest. That's what makes Michael Jackson the best dancer. And he doesn't even show that off, but you can see it there, in his movement. Nobody moves like Michael Jackson.
[/b]

You couldn't describe it better :flowers:

A master guitarist would be, to me, Jimmy Page, or Jimmie Hendrix, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, etc... the best in that one field. I don't think Prince is that.[/b]

I believe Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana would disagree with you. They've both gone on record as saying that Prince is a master at guitar. I've seen enough Prince shows to know that they're right. Need proof? Find his performance during the tribute to George Harrison at the 2004 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, with Tom Petty, playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". This singular performance proved to the world that Prince was/is more than just a mere pop star.

And yes, MJ is also a master of many instruments, it's just that his focus is not to play them to the fore, he's obviously chosen others to do his playing for him. But that does not mean that Michael himself cannot play, far from it, the man is a beast on drums, I'll bet.

Prince is one of the baddest guitarists I ever heard so that's just opinion of course. :lol: But yeah, his R&R Hall of Fame performance doing the solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is off the hook!!! :punk:

Oh well, okay, Prince is a master guitarist. What do I know, lol.

But, you know, I say Michael is the most talented recording and performing artist in history because he is a master in a greater number of fields than anybody else. He's just the best in three different fields, singing, dancing, and performing art, that's unreal. Plus his mastery in several other fields, besides the three he's the best in.

I know he can play the drums, he's played them several times on numerous records, he must be good if he's willing to play on his own stuff, knowing what a perfectionist he is.

Well anyway, Michael's music has a utterly unique and distinctive style. You know when your listening to a Michael Jackson song. He knows exactly what direction he wants to go in with his art, he knows exactly what it is he is looking to create and then he does so.

if we are going to talk about great guitar players, I would say Jimy Hendrix wins.

Back