Why You Wanna Trip on Me

Fayik

Proud Member
Am I the only one who really doesn't like this song? I can't tell if it's a fan favorite or a fan hated? I never really see any discussion on this song being that 3/4 of Dangerous was released as a single and this being one of those that weren't- most people tend to just not discuss it. So let's have a discussion, what's your feelings on this song?

Eh. It's very so so. TBH I thought Dangerous should have been shorter and not included quite so many NJS tracks.

If it was on Invincible it would have been crucified but because it's on Dangerous (fans favourite), people tend to overlook the weaker parts of the album.

Just my 2c.

It's actually one of my favorite songs on Dangerous!

I love it. It's a great song with a very important message, a rarity among the plethora of mindless pop songs in the mainstream music industry.

I don't like it because it's beyond repetitive, the lyrics are pretty mediocre and it's just a boring track. It's clear Michael didn't have too much of a hand in the making of this track beyond the production.

I like it. For some reason when I first listened to the dangerous album it instantly became one of my favorites, maybe it's because I like the new jack swing sound. That's my opinion anyway :)

I thought this is going to be an "I love WYWTOM thread" :laugh:
But I love it, I never skip it, never ever and I love the adlibs :wub:

I like this song! :)

There's also that rock remix made by fan that is one of my favourite remixes of all time.

I can understand not liking it, but you can't deny the lyrics are genius.

Let me retract my statement; the verses have amazing lyrics but besides that the lyrics are very repetitive- especially the whole "Stop trippin'" repeats towards the end.

Love it, Its one of the overlooked tracks that I love to have blairing at full volume

I think the instrumentation was extremely powerful in the song. The lyrics were quite awesome as well. But something about the melody just doesn't mesh together at all.

I always tend to skip it, it just does nothing for me.

Well, I love the music to this song. TBH, though, I really dislike the lyrics. They seem forced or something like that. It is not one of my favorites at all. The only saving grace of the sung part to me, is that MJ is singing it. :)

Otherwise, an instrumental would be nice.

I really dug the song when 'Dangerous' was released. Now, I dunno, it's alright I guess.

I love this song! The lyrics on this song are very strong, and the instrumentation is great! Gotta love the intro..

The ad-lips are amazing. The way he almost uses his ad-lips as an additional instrument, great.

I think this song was one of the more important message that Michael wanted to tell people and just for that I love it. I love all of Michael's message songs.

'Leave Me Alone' and 'Why You Wanna Trip on Me' are two Michael Jackson songs which address the entertainer's early relationship with tabloid and mainstream media.
Michael Jackson wrote many songs directed at the media throughout his career, such as Scream (Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis), This Time Around (Michael Jackson, Rene Moore, Dallas Austin, Christopher Wallace, Bruce Swedien), Tabloid Junkie (Michael Jackson, Terry Lewis, James Harris) which all featured on HIStory: Past Present and Future, Book 1 (Epic 1995) and Privacy (Michael Jackson, Bernard Belle, LaShawn Daniels, Rodney Jenkins, Fred Jenkins III) which featured on Invincible (Epic 2001).

However the song Why You Wanna Trip on Me (Teddy Riley, Bernard Belle), which appeared on the 1991 Dangerous album, perhaps best exemplifies Jackson's tortuous relationship with the mainstream and tabloid press, as in the song, Jackson repeatedly pleads to the listener "why" is he the headline news, when there are so many more important issues at hand.

After the release of Jackson's ground breaking album Thriller in 1983, the release of Bad in 1987 - with the title short film directed by Martin Scorsese, a record breaking world tour, the autobiography Moonwalk, the feature film Moonwalker (1988), a Presidential honor and endorsements, worth millions, Jackson was everywhere - yet instead of celebrating Jackson's multiple achievements as an artist, the mainstream and tabloid media focused on trivial aspects of his personal life, driven by rumors and 'hearsay'.

full story: http://tinyurl.com/y95do3x

Last edited:
It's ok. I prefer to skip it and not listen to it though. It really didn't have that much of an effect on me as the rest of the songs on the album did.

Love it! But i know i have it with a few songs,i have to be in the "Mood"
Michael is just getting his frustration out in this one and that is why i like it ;)
good for a bit of exercise this rhythm!
Stop tripping!lol.

Back