Will Prince and Michael ever work together?

Prince has never really done duet songs with other acts, except his proteges and rarely with them. He did a song with Madonna and a couple with Sheena Easton and one with Angie Stone, but that's it. He's produced and wrote songs for other singers, but never actually sang with them. He also has played instruments on some songs like Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back" and Stevie Wonder's "What The Fuss". Wendy Melvoin (who was in The Revolution) said Mike visited the set of Under The Cherry Moon in Paris and that Mike & Prince played table tennis and that Prince hit Mike in the crotch with the ball. She also said Mike was flirting with some assistant or secretary of Prince's.

Last edited:
^ What did Michael do to him after he hit him in the crotch???? TELL ME!!!! HE HAD TO DO SOMETHING! Slap him???

Last edited:
It won't happen

1. The reason why Prince didn't do We Are The World was because he felt it just wasn't his style. Instead, he went out to party after the American Music Awards and got into some trouble when his bodyguard punched a paparazzi photographer for jumping into Prince's car. He got some negative publicity which prompted him to do his first interview in 3 years. He also wrote a song about the incident called "Hello"
I tried 2 tell them that I didn't want 2 sing
But I'd gladly write a song instead
They said OK and everything was cool
Till a camera tried 2 get in my bed (Hello)
My bed (Hello) (Hello)
I was sittin' pretty with a beautiful friend ("Oh darling")
When this man tries 2 get in the car
("Hey Prince, come on, give us a smile, eh?")
No introduction, "How've U been?"
Just - "Up yours! Smile, that's right, U're a star!" (Star)
U call 'em bodyguards but I call 'em my friends
I guess I'm used 2 havin' 'em around
And cameras by nature like rewards
That's the trouble I get when I'm Uptown
I'm not afraid 2 die cuz I know there's a better place 2 go
(Don't be afraid cuz there's a better place 2 go)
I eat what I want, whole wheat toast
(U can eat what U want, anything is cool in moderation)
And I'm happy, and that's 4 sure
We're against hungry children, our record stands tall
But there's just as much hunger here at home
We'll do what we can if y'all try 2 understand
A flower that has water will grow
And a child misunderstood will go
Hello! {x3}
(Hello)
Everybody
Gotta he..., gotta he... he... hello!
I haven't lost my desire
I wouldn't beg U
Instead of playin' deduction of what 2 do
They called me rude often
When I called their hand
They judged me and told me that we're through
"Why can't U be like the others?"
I cried out over and again
"Why can't U learn 2 play by the rules?"
But maybe at last it's the end
Because I am not like others
I'm unique in the respect I'm not U
I know in my heart I would try 2 love U
I wouldn't try 2 hurt U despite all the ways U try 2 hurt me
U call me a fraud, an uncaring wretch
But I'm an artist and my only aim is 2 please
Between U and yours, myself and mine
Isn't life cruel enough without cruel words, cruel words?
U see, words are like shoes
They're just something 2 stand on
I wish U could be in my shoes
But they're probably so high, U'd fall off and die
4 U words are definitely not shoes
They're weapons and tools of destruction
And your time is boring unless U're putting something down
What would life be if we believed what we read
And a smile is just hiding a frown?
Come now, isn't life a little better with a pair of good shoes?

2. Prince didn't do Bad because he felt the song was terrible, but because he felt the environment was uneven. He was excited about the offer and was gonna do it, but it was Michael and Quincy running the show, not Michael, Prince, and Quincy. He also think the song was gonna make Michael look good instead of showing them as equal performers

3. They're both control freaks and perfectionists LOL It's happened before. Michael was to record with George Michael back in 1987 too but that fell through. Prince was gonna record with Miles Davis but they're both 2 of the most known control freaks in music history. They performed together and they had massive love for each other, but it just wasn't gonna work out

and yes, Prince and Michael have hung out together. Prince went to see Michael during the Victory and Bad Tour and the 2 hung out a couple of times during the 1984-1988 period

It won't happen

1. The reason why Prince didn't do We Are The World was because he felt it just wasn't his style. Instead, he went out to party after the American Music Awards and got into some trouble when his bodyguard punched a paparazzi photographer for jumping into Prince's car.

That isn't what I heard. According to most accounts, Quincey posted a sign on the door of the recording studio that said "leave your ego's out here."

Price saw the sign, got pissed off, and drove off in his car.

But after all these years, who actually knows what happened.

and yes, Prince and Michael have hung out together. Prince went to see Michael during the Victory and Bad Tour and the 2 hung out a couple of times during the 1984-1988 period
Prince said once that the 1st concert he ever went to was a Jackson 5 show. I've never heard about the George Michael thing, but Narada Michael Walden (who produced the duet George did with Aretha Franklin) said that George wasn't used to being told what to do, lol. Michael also wanted to work with Kraftwerk (more control freaks). There was some discussions, but Kraftwerk declined as they didn't like working with other people and "giving their sound away". Michael had discussions with John Taylor & Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran as well, but that didn't work out either because of scheduling conflicts.

It did not happen when there was a big demand for it, so I doubt it would happen now.

don't want it. only if it was a tribute to James Brown is the only way I could get with it now and it is too late and would be a desperate act.

That isn't what I heard. According to most accounts, Quincey posted a sign on the door of the recording studio that said "leave your ego's out here."

Price saw the sign, got pissed off, and drove off in his car.

But after all these years, who actually knows what happened.

That's definitely what happened. He didn't go to the studio for the recording. He went straight to a club that night

don't want it. only if it was a tribute to James Brown is the only way I could get with it now and it is too late and would be a desperate act.

I don't think that'd be the case if Prince just played the guitar or even the keyboard in the background, and that was a selling point on the song...no vocals, just him playing the instrument. I think that'd be so cool. They should have done something together, but their egos are too big.

:)

I love MJ and Prince threads because it is so interesting to me. The stories that were told on here I have heard of and never heard of.

OK, here is my thing: I would LOVE for those two guys to do a song with one another. However, here is the issue: they love to run the show and you all know that Prince loves to own his masters. That is why I think that sadly, they will never do a duet together.

Yes, that is very true. Prince and MJ never had a "feud". That was something that the media created to make headlines because they were so huge back in the day. Mike and Prince both respected one another and it did seem like they might have clashed a bit. When Prince was interviewed by that unfunny fool Chris Rock, he said something that was an insult to MJ. For some reason, I cannot remember what he said. Of course, some of you guys mentioned the WATW and Bad thingy. There are people till this day that still get the Bad story wrong. LOL. It is funny to me. When Prince was interviewed, by I think Tom Joyner, he was asked about MJ and Janet. He stated that MJ was a "genius" and that Janet was "the genius' sister". LOL.

I read that Tatinana Thumbtzen book and she talked about a time that she hung out with Prince. She claimed that Prince told her that he would not do anything to her because he thought she was Michael's girl. LOL. Interesting. Of course, Tatiana denied that she was ever MJ's girl.

And am I the only one that thinks Princes voice sounds awful

No offense taken. However, this is the first time I have ever read that someone thought Prince's voice was awful. I think the guy is a great singer.

Mike & Prince played table tennis and that Prince hit Mike in the crotch with the ball

LOL. Well, damn.

Last edited:
Here's the story of Michael and Prince's ping pong game from the book "Dance Music Sex Romance"

While working at the Samuel Goldwyn Soundstage, Prince recieved a visit from Michael Jackson, whom he promptly challenged to a game of table tennis, using a table that had been set up in the middle of the soundstage room. "Michael said 'I don't know how to play ping-pong!'", Susan Rogers remembers. "But Prince took one pad and gave Michael the other, and they started very politely volleying the ball back and forth. Suddenly, Prince said "C'mon Michael, get into it,' and he slammed the ball into Michael's crotch. I was rolling my eyes! 'Oh God, he's embarrassing himself.' But Micahel knows how to handle himself and he didn't seem to care. Then Michael started flirting with Sherilyn Fenn who was visiting Prince in the studio. Prince was pacing bt he wasn't going to get into the game of flirting back. They said hasty goodbyes.

LOL

Thanks for posting that tidbit.

The legends with huge egos. They cannot do a duet together.

arghhhh i bet they would have done it if James Brown was like in their face about it.........but.. RIP Mr. Brown.

it would be the ULTIMATE coolest thing for me...though unfortunately i reckon they'll like start fighting in the parking slot outside of the recording studio....and just imagine if the song came out, i bet the two fan bases will kill each other over who was better in the song. :lol: but still, coolest thing ever. heh.

Here's the story of Michael and Prince's ping pong game from the book "Dance Music Sex Romance"

While working at the Samuel Goldwyn Soundstage, Prince recieved a visit from Michael Jackson, whom he promptly challenged to a game of table tennis, using a table that had been set up in the middle of the soundstage room. "Michael said 'I don't know how to play ping-pong!'", Susan Rogers remembers. "But Prince took one pad and gave Michael the other, and they started very politely volleying the ball back and forth. Suddenly, Prince said "C'mon Michael, get into it,' and he slammed the ball into Michael's crotch. I was rolling my eyes! 'Oh God, he's embarrassing himself.' But Micahel knows how to handle himself and he didn't seem to care. Then Michael started flirting with Sherilyn Fenn who was visiting Prince in the studio. Prince was pacing bt he wasn't going to get into the game of flirting back. They said hasty goodbyes.

LOL

i shall engrave this story into my memory. :lol:

I hope they would have back then.

I love them both. But I love Michael more.

But I agree, now it's just too late.

I would love to see these 2 great minds do something together, whether it be a new song or a cover, I think they would rock it very well. I love both artists, even with how mean Prince is to his fans, he is still the man, and MJ is the KING.

Damn~~ I love them both!!!
If this happened it would be great!!!!

Back in time it would have been good for the media, but bad for the ears.
Today, Prince don't care about the media, Michael does but he also needs good musicians around him.
It's one of my dreams but I don't know if it's possible...

hey mj_brainiac what year did that ping pong thing take place???

^^^^oooooh. Thanks a TON! :yes:

funny story! I never knew that, lol.

Back