Will You Be There Live

I could defend why he did playback, and I could understand reasons why at times.. But I personally feel that he depended on it too much on the History tour. That's just my opinion!

he could have cut out so much of the playback and still sounded great...

* The entire (or most) of Scream he could have done - just a lot more.. Or even when he performed Dangerous at various events, the talking portion in the beginning.. We would be lying to ourselves to say that Michael couldn't do certain songs or portion of performances live..

I remember hearing that Michael wanted to be able to do This Is It totally live which would have been amazing..

yes, i agree with you! not touring in 12 years.. his vocal had a lot of time to recover (hear the difference in vocals between Privacy & Best of joy for example) he sounded angelic, and i believe he could have pulled off wonderful live vocals for the this is it shows :) i just hope we can see the several unseen rehearsals you mentioned (including will you be there & stranger in moscow, dirty diana etc.)

You are wrong about Munich tho. He is not singing alongside the playback at all. The first verse and first chorus are purely live vocals.

Agree to disagree on that. It's certainly less obvious than Wembley, but I'm convinced I can hear the playback in there.

By the way! I just found out that there are 2 versions of Will You Be There from the MTV 10th anniversary special. 1 with winged lady and 1 without the winged lady. Is the version without the winged lady a (dress) rehearsal or something??

By the way! I just found out that there are 2 versions of Will You Be There from the MTV 10th anniversary special. 1 with winged lady and 1 without the winged lady. Is the version without the winged lady a (dress) rehearsal or something??

004.jpg

I think this was a rehearsal.

This is from Anthony King's website where he discusses Michael's various tours and whether or not he sang live. I kinda enjoyed reading his take on it :)
He works very hard and goes to very much expense and employ’s the best sound proofing, producers and studio space to sing in the studio.

Now, how on earth can that be recreated in a massive 30 metre by 15 metre void in the middle of Bucharest or something … it ain’t gonna happen. Even with no dancing, no crowd, no nothing.
http://anthony-king.com/blog/michael-jackson-lip-syncing-on-the-bad-tour/

I think he makes a good point, Michael spent so much effort on making his music sound the absolute best, he'd probably feel like a live show would just never be good enough. Although imo that's not true at all -Bad Tour was perfect- knowing the perfectionist that he is, he prob felt that way.
I know a lot of fans feel like he should've sung live more on the HIStory tour, and I also wish he did but on the other hand, he'd been singing live for SO many years (decades!) before that.. he already gave us so much, I think he did enough:yes:

Anyways, too bad there aren't any live performances/recordings of Will you be there! That song always gives me goosebumps and they were definitely there when I found that amazing little snippet from the NAACP Awards, where he sang my fave part of that song live and sounded absolutely gorgeous:wub:

there is very poor audio of Michael rehearsing Will You Be There live for This is It.. recorded from phones and cameras.. I will tell you it was so beautiful, I know I repeat this often but I still 4.5 years later can't get over it. I thought it was playback until he messed up the lyrics a couple times in the song...

Is there any footage on the internet of this?? I'm really curious!!

Is there any footage on the internet of this?? I'm really curious!!

it was shot in high def, would be nice to see it eventually with the other 5 unseen rehearsals!

Glad this thread got bumped. Great to see that rehearsal again. The music sounds beautiful live also.

Speaking of WYBT, I have a question and I hope someone answers because I've been searching and I've gotten not even comments from other MJ fans: How come in the 3rd verse where he says "I'm so confused will you show to me you'll be there for me", in the album version he says "And care enough to bare me", but on Dangerous Tour he (well, the playback) says "And strong enough to hold me". I've always wondered why they changed that, because even in rehearsals he said "Care enough to bare me".

I just watched some performances and he also says "Seems that the world's got a hold of me". That's not the only parts that are different to the album, some of the ad-libs are positioned differently.

Back