Xscape chart positions. (incl. singles)

People are confusing One with Immortal. The cd wasn't given away with One ticket sales, it was given as a free gift at the Immortal show on merchandise purchases of $20 or more. When this was announced I thought it was a horrible idea as I knew it would make those albums ineligible to chart, and they are giving something away for free when a majority of people would have bought it, maybe it was to drive the merchandise sales up. The album may be in 9k more hands than the Keys, but unfortunately the Key's sold more.

"At first it looked like Xscape would come out on top, but Nielsen SoundScan and Billboard didn't count nearly 9K copies of CDs that were given away with the purchase of a ticket or T-shirt at Jackson's Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas. (Chart policy is that consumers have to actively choose to buy an album. They can't just get it with bundled with something else.)"

To me it reads that 9 thousand albums were given to people in MJ1 Las Vegas show?
I don't think all the people who goes to see MJ1 in Vegas were fans who were going to buy the album. They could be just tourists that are spending time seeing various shows, and they got lucky to get free album with their ticket. I put it this way, it is like money into bank, those 9 thousand could have been non fans but became fans after listening this album and later purchase other MJ's catalogue albums.

Most importantly, this release made people to delve into Michael's back catalogue :clapping:

Jackson's 2003 compilation Number Ones rebounds from #106 to #28 in its 176th week on The Billboard 200. The album returns to #1 on Top Catalog Albums. This is its 29th week on top of that chart.

Two other Jackson albums are streaking back up The Billboard 200. His 2005 compilation The Essential Michael Jackson rebounds from #75 to #67. His 1982 opus Thriller rebounds from #127 to #70.

The Essential Michael Jackson tops the 500K mark in U.S. digital sales this week. It's Jackson's best-selling digital album. Thriller is in second place with sales of 430K digital copies.

Jackson has sold 34,723,000 albums in the U.S. since January 1991. That puts him in 14th place on Nielsen SoundScan's running list of the best-selling artists in its history. He's sandwiched between two hit-makers of comparable sales but lesser stature: Kenny G and Shania Twain. In the week before he died in June 2009, Jackson ranked #47 on this running list. He had sales, to that point, of 21,737,000 albums.
----------------------------------------

Why they count sold albums since 1991? Wouldn't MJ top the list if it started earlier?

Chart News @chartnews · 13 Std. US sales: @michaeljackson has sold 34,723,000 albums since January 1991 (SoundScan era).

Bubs;4011545 said:
Why they count sold albums since 1991? Wouldn't MJ top the list if it started earlier?
Because the Soundscan tracking system was created in 1991. :) But yeah, MJ would be even higher on the list if the majority of Bad, Thriller and Off the Wall sales were included as well. It’s really impressive that he’s as high on the list as he is even though his best-selling US albums aren’t included.

I don't agree with all the people that accept this fraud only because Xscape is selling well in other markets and because MJ has a new record on the Hot 100.
A fraud is always a fraud. Furthermore, we are talking about the US market, the most important in the World. To be at the top of the chart in this market is very good for the marketing.

SimoneMJJ;4011567 said:
I don't agree with all the people that accept this fraud only because Xscape is selling well in other markets and because MJ has a new record on the Hot 100.
A fraud is always a fraud. Furthermore, we are talking about the US market, the most important in the World. To be at the top of the chart in this market is very good for the marketing.

I think this is too far-fetched.

M. JACKSON & J. TIMBERLAKE – Love Never Felt So Good: 35.741 (+ 0.905)

Dont give up the hope you guys! We may still have a chance to reach for #1 next week!

Doggone Lover;4011581 said:
Dont give up the hope you guys! We may still have a chance to reach for #1 next week!

Coldplay album...:)

M. JACKSON & J. TIMBERLAKE – Love Never Felt So Good: 37.123 (+ 1.382)

No. Coldplay are too strong. They had a very good pre-sales. Their album could debut at #1 with 340-360k.
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

I continue to think that the best way is this:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...gles)/page86?p=4011427&viewfull=1#post4011427

If we don't nothing, the situation will never change specially with future releases.

Well, most likely Goldplay is no 1 next week, but I would be happy if Xscape holds on to no 2 position.

We need to keep requesting radio plays so they play it on radio (counts towards charts) and more people hear and possibly buy it (definitely counts towards charts:))

If you think this album isn't selling, you are fooling yourself. It's selling much better than expected.

MJ will never reach the level of popularity he had in the 80's, because of illegal downloading. Not to mention, a lot of fans are doing that, because they feel this is a money grabbing thing by Sony.

No. Coldplay are too strong. They had a very good pre-sales. Their album could debut at #1 with 340-360k.
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

I continue to think that the best way is this:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...gles)/page86?p=4011427&viewfull=1#post4011427

If we don't nothing, the situation will never change specially with future releases.

Do you really think sending BB an e-mail will help MJ get his 7th no. 1 album? Will Billboard really do something about it.... I honestly doubt it.

By the way how is XSCAPE and LNFSG doing in Spain? Since MJ has 21 number 1 hits over there. Spain really really loves the King. The States really could learn some things from the Spanish.

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));
Post by ?Michael Jackson Israel - ????? ?'???? ??????.

Will send Billboard an e-mail then. But don't know what to write in the e-mail since I didn't read all posts here in the thread.

What to write in the email is written here:

If you don't know the Madonna case, read here:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...e-what-role-did-bundling-and-1006670752.story

The MJ case is this:
https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart...lack-keys-beat-michael-jackson-224447243.html

I just dont get it in here :( It very depressing I have to go outside this forum to celebrate the success of Michael Xscape with fans who appreciate it. Every thread seems so negative and depressing WHY?

Come on guys Xscape if a GREAT Success worldwide - LETS CELEBRATE .. :)
Its not over either. More promotion and singles to come. Estate said it just starting

I so agree with you it's not even funny. I totally understand everyone wanting him to be #1, really, I get it. And of course I do not know for a fact nor can I speak on his behalf, but it is my opinion that Michael would have been happy to have a #2 album. Is it what he would have wanted? No, but I think he would accept it. And despite TBK talking shit about him, I think he would also be happy for their success as he always respected his fellow artists.

Anyhow- everyone's passion and dedication to try and correct this 9k error, if it even is an error, is commendable. However in my opinion, I do not believe it will change anything. You guys can spam Billboard all you want with emails and Tweets, but in the end I think you will simply need to accept this for what it is and move on. Dwelling on it will do no good.

Yes, let us celebrate and revel in all the good that is going on right now. He's back in the headlines, he's #1 in 50 other countries, and he's still setting new records and breaking old ones. Why is everyone overlooking all this?

Last edited:
Yes, let us celebrate and revel in all the good that is going on right now. He's back in the headlines, he's #1 in 50 other countries, and he's still setting new records and breaking old ones. Why is everyone overlooking all this?

It's only promotion. There aren't 50 official charts. Estate counted the iTunes Daily Chart to write the press releases. Counting only the official weekly charts, Xscape was #1 only in 5 countries (at the moment).

It's only promotion. There aren't 50 official charts. Estate counted the iTunes Daily Chart to write the press releases. Counting only the official weekly charts, Xscape was #1 only in 5 countries (at the moment).

Well, all other artists are doing the same and not many of them can say something like 50 countries.

I am very well aware of this and never stated otherwise.

Xscape debuts at #2 in Italy

25uk40y.png

http://www.fimi.it/classifiche_album.php

The Estate has already acknowledged that there was a problem and the CD's were not counted, so I am positive that this has been taken care of on their end.
I haven't seen any acknowledgement from them about this problem.

If the reports about the 9000 units are true, they should have learned the lesson from the Jay-Z issue.
But the 9000units weren't to do with the very specific jayz/samsung issue, no one is complaining that the copies of escape bundled with the experia phone shd be counted in the totals. It's most similar to the madonna issue, where things related to artists (tour tix, t shirts, merchandise etc) are bundled together with the music.

If this wouldn't work, then perhaps they could have given away the free items with the purchase of the CD instead of the other way around... they should have been able to get around this issue with better planning and execution
Yes i think that might have worked, apparently there needs to be some type of option exercised whereby the fan has to actively purchase the music (with madonna, actively use a code to download the album). Pity you weren't working for sony as they messed up an opportunity, it can't be that hard to make sure you're within the bb rules and maximise your sales. The blackkeys were selling bundles of their album with tshirts and all sorts of other stuff but they managed to keep the music central so it cd be counted.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any acknowledgement from them about this problem.

I do apologize- that was my mistake. I thought they had said something about it in their most recent statement, but in going back and reviewing it, I can see they did not. All they said was that it fell short; my brain inadvertently added the rest.

I will edit my post.

in austria its also like in germany behind kollegah. ahm, who the **** is that? i never ever heart of them. like the black keys.

pfff, but like mike always said, the most important are the sales. and at the end he will outsells them all. all these nobodies.

Back