Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

The idea that Xscape is going to sell as much as albums from Bruno Mars or Justin Timberlake is absolutely ludicrous. Public opinion of Michael is majorly low. You see how unenthusiastic most news reporters are to be talking about this new album, simply because they don't care. Whenever an article on Michael is posted, there are dozens of comments that simply point out his trials and tribulations rather than the article's content. (This is amplified considering the Wade Robson case is about to see a court date to determine whether or not its viable.) I myself heard three people making fun of him just last night. No amount of promotion is going to change that.

Much of Michael's success in the past five years has been due to the Cirque du Soleil shows as well as the albums he himself released. Posthumous releases next to never see that type of commercial success, regardless of how much promotion or effort is put into it.

We all need to keep our expectations in check, because I know how the fan community works. We're going to get our hopes sky high and when they fall, everyone is going to blame the estate and/or Sony for whatever reason, completely ambivalent to the fact that it's their own fault for expecting too much. It's what happened with Bad 25 and it will happen again.

Who can tell me how many units "Michael"sold.

Fact: Michael shipped out three million copies worldwide to record stores in December 2010. As of right now, about 2.5 million of them have been sold. The album sold somewhere in the vicinity of 700k in the United States.

But Pentum does make a good point. As much as I want this album to be a success, I really wouldn't be torn up inside if it wasn't. After all, this is about Michael's artistry, not about sales numbers.

1. MJ fan base is large, they will give a sale number that is decent just became its michael jackson...

But not all of them buy his new albums. I have friends and family members who all love Michael and listen to him quite often but who don't purchase the new projects simply because they aren't interested in them. This was the case with Michael, Bad 25, Vision, the works. One of them didn't even see This Is It until sometime in 2011! The idea that it will be a success "just because it's Michael Jackson" is ridiculous. Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience (2 of 2) was barely a success, and everyone was clamoring for JT to return to music for years.

2. Michaels acceptance after his death is totally different than it was before. Anyone that thinks otherwise lives under a rock.. I can give many examples of things that have changed if I have to.

Things have not changed. Public opinion is still the same. You think just because Michael died everyone is going to suddenly start loving him? No; people still hate this man, to be honest. I hear and see people making fun of him on a weekly basis. I already outlined these points in my last post though.

No. 1 M USA, 2,5 worldwide.

Wrong. It was certified platinum in the United States because Sony shipped out one million copies to retail stores across the nation. They haven't all sold out; there are still numerous copies available at any Walmart or Target you want to go to.

So much talk about how much this and that sold and will sell, charts, earnings, blah, blah, blah, I don't get the constant obsession with this. Let the people who are working on this think about this - they are the ones who are getting your money in their pockets

It will be so nice to have Xscape, DYKWYCA, BG, APWNN and STTR (original demo!) in true 320 kbps. It will change the way we have heard the songs before. I so curious about how STTR will sound. I just can't imagine any late 80s/early 90s sounds to it, but I'm sure I'll be impressed.

Why 320 kbps? Why not CD quality?

We're going to get our hopes sky high and when they fall, everyone is going to blame the estate and/or Sony for whatever reason, completely ambivalent to the fact that it's their own fault for expecting too much. It's what happened with Bad 25 and it will happen again.

VHS and Pitbull happened with Bad 25. I can deal with Pitbull because it was just a remix but VHS in 2012? And not even a good VHS, but very poor one.

Hehe, sure, why not. I just don't bother having .WAV files on my iPod or phone, because I and most people can't really can't tell the difference between .wav and real 320 kbps and they take way more space

Not much of an audible difference between 320 and CD quality honestly. Folks who say otherwise either have tremendous superhuman hearing above 20kHz or are full of it.

Hehe, sure, why not. I just don't bother having .WAV files on my iPod or phone, because I and most people can't really can't tell the difference between .wav and real 320 kbps and they take way more space

Maybe I'm stuck in the '90 but I still listen to CDs.

That's just it though... I don't think LNFSG is a good enough song to release. And I love early 80s Triumph-Thriller era outtakes (I was one of the few fans that loved the song This Is It). But LNFSG is just bland IMO. And as they say, you can't polish a turd.

NO, you are right you Can't polish a turd, but... you can roll it in glitter

Things have not changed. Public opinion is still the same. You think just because Michael died everyone is going to suddenly start loving him? No; people still hate this man, to be honest. I hear and see people making fun of him on a weekly basis. I already outlined these points in my last post though.

Michael is a polarizing figure. Just because some people hate him it does not mean most people do. Most people are actually neutral - as to any artist, I would say (I mean there aren't universally loved artists). You can focus on haters or you fan focus on facts such as 72+ million likes on Facebook. That does not give me the impression of a universally hated figure. Of course, most of those likes are probably casual fans who are interested in Thriller but will not be interested in Xscape. So I do not mention FB likes as potential buyers. (Rihanna and Eminem also have 80+ million likes but that does not mean their albums sell that many. Far from that.) Sales numbers are a much more complicated matter and I agree that to dream about 4-5 million copies sold WW in this climate in the music industry is just highly irrealistic.

Maybe I'm stuck in the '90 but I still listen to CDs.
Can't bring CD's out to the gym and out in general. It's just way easier these days to have an iPod or a phone connected to the car or whatever you use to play at home and on the computer, having the files there.

Can't bring CD's out to the gym and out in general. It's just way easier these days to have an iPod or a phone connected to the car or whatever you use to play at home and on the computer, having the files there.

Of course. But when I'm at home I prefer listen to CDs. Don't know why. Maybe it's just an old habit.

hopefully we get some news this coming week, most prob tommoro or tue..

hopefully we get some news this coming week, most prob tommoro or tue..

That would be great, but I think we won't until next week. They obviously plan to release just one single before the album (like they did with Hold My Hand) so maybe it's too early. If I were at their place I would release the first single tomorrow (the best song from the album - maybe Chicago or Slave To The Rhythm) and then week before the album drops I would release the second single (maybe Xscape) to go with the album.

AlwaysThere, I gotta say, you appear to be a bit of a Debbie Downer when it comes to MJ and his public image. I don't believe it's half as doom and gloom as you make it out to be.

As respect77 quite rightfully said, Michael is a polarizing figure. Yes, there are people who make fun of him and have a very low estimation of him. That has been the case for many years and I don't think that will ever change. But equally, there are just as many people (and I'm not just talking about the hardcore nutters like us lot on the message boards) who think he is a living legend.

I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the UK, MJ is still held in high regard by most people. I hear his songs on the radio often and when I hear his name mentioned on TV or the internet, it is usually in a positive light. It all depends who you're speaking to... I mean if you spend your time reading the comments on TMZ articles then you're going to think that the whole world has a negative opinion of MJ. But TMZ readers are hardly indicative of the wider populations perception. Thank God.

It's not up on the MichaelJackson.com store for anyone yet.

Really, Ivy said that she knew of people who had ordered XSCAPE from MJ.com

To clarify : I'm in USA and when I go to MJ Store it shows Xscape available for order. I don't know how it is for other countries.

I thought that number was in USA alone. Ivy posted a email the MJ Team Online or the Estate, I don't remember. That number of copies were sold in USA.

No. 1 M USA, 2,5 worldwide.

Wrong. It was certified platinum in the United States because Sony shipped out one million copies to retail stores across the nation. They haven't all sold out; there are still numerous copies available at any Walmart or Target you want to go to.

The number I was given was 2.5 Million copies for Michael album worldwide by end of December 2011 (14 month period after it's release). USA sales was 600,000. I don't have any newer sales numbers for it.

there are still numerous copies available at any Walmart or Target you want to go to.

and this I disagree with. I haven't seen Michael album at any store for a long time and I check whenever I'm in the store. I'm not saying they are all sold, they are just not available.

The idea that Xscape is going to sell as much as albums from Bruno Mars or Justin Timberlake is absolutely ludicrous. Public opinion of Michael is majorly low. You see how unenthusiastic most news reporters are to be talking about this new album, simply because they don't care. Whenever an article on Michael is posted, there are dozens of comments that simply point out his trials and tribulations rather than the article's content. (This is amplified considering the Wade Robson case is about to see a court date to determine whether or not its viable.) I myself heard three people making fun of him just last night. No amount of promotion is going to change that.

Much of Michael's success in the past five years has been due to the Cirque du Soleil shows as well as the albums he himself released. Posthumous releases next to never see that type of commercial success, regardless of how much promotion or effort is put into it.

We all need to keep our expectations in check, because I know how the fan community works. We're going to get our hopes sky high and when they fall, everyone is going to blame the estate and/or Sony for whatever reason, completely ambivalent to the fact that it's their own fault for expecting too much. It's what happened with Bad 25 and it will happen again.

Fact: Michael shipped out three million copies worldwide to record stores in December 2010. As of right now, about 2.5 million of them have been sold. The album sold somewhere in the vicinity of 700k in the United States.

Okay so if Michael sold 2.5 million ww I don't see it being impossible for Xscape to sell 3 mi

On another subject -- Always - you seem to me from the posts that I have read somewhat negative- I have to say you did come around from the few posts were you were very angry and wouldn't think of buying the album, but now you seem to think Michael is still widely hated.

Well, as we know Michael started being a polarizing figure in 1987 with BAD and all the tabloid craziness about him and well then the other stuff we all know about. But since his death the public perception of him has changed dramatically. Sure, there are still haters out there no doubt, but all in all if you look at the big picture his reputation has turn around 360 degrees from before 2009. There is no denying it. Just look at the success of Immortal world tour that is a fact you can't hide from. I am a KG teacher and I have 5 year olds and their parents loving Michael. We had a presentation were all grades did something creative for a fundraiser and the fifth graders made an MJ lifelike statue made out of cardboard, it was very cool, with glasses, white glove and epaulets!

You sound like nothing has changed and that is not true at all.

We will see what happens with this release, but just from the reaction of the fans in the community, the excitement and support for this album is leagues better than for "Michael's" you cannot deny that. Just lighten up, and look at the big picture.

I hope they release a single soon, at least a week, 2 weeks before the album to get everyone ready for it. I really want a killer radio song !

From the reviews there are a few absolute killers that deserve a single release so let's hope we get one real soon! (As in tomorrow haha!) seriously so excited for this. Don't care about sales, I care about the quality of this music and as we get both originals and new takes on the songs, I can't wait! :)

From what i've heard (by leaks, snippets & other sources), this is my lineup

1 single. Xscape/She Was Loving Me + Video

2 Single. A Place With No Name + Video

3. Slave To The Rhythm for free through Xperia phones or something along those lines.

I hope they choose the singles wisely.

Ballads/slow songs should NOT be singles - not the first 5 singles anyway!!

1. single - STTR

2. single (coming a week before the album or just a few days before the album!) - DYKWYCA

3. single - APWNN

4. single - Blue Gangsta

5. single - Xscape

They won't release 2 singles before the album.

Also they will release max. 3 singles (maybe 4 if the first 3 chart really well).

So my predictions are:

1. Slave To The Rhythm
2. Xscape
3. Chicago

But that's not the way I would do it. I would release 2 singles before the album - the best song from the album (probably Chicago or Do You Know Where Your Children Are if it is really the best) and the title song or Slave To The Rhythm because of the Sony Xperia commercials. Then about a month later third single.

You see how unenthusiastic most news reporters are to be talking about this new album, simply because they don't care.

Quite the opposite here in the UK (not sure where you are). I've actually been pleasantly surprised about how warm and enthusiastic the response has been in the media here. For some reason it feels like the timing is right. It's not been wall-to-wall positivity, but considering how they've been in the past towards Michael it feels like it's the most interested and positive they've been in a while.

Some artists lately have had a single available hours after the track has aired on radio and website... maybe this week?! Excited ;)

My hope is that non fans or casual fans like what they hear and are interested in listening to more. I am hoping that they will be willing to give Michael chance for time on the radio and to put things aside and give him a chance. People used to focus more on the music and then it changed. I am hoping it can go back to that. As for sales, I just hope it does well to whatever is considered well for the music scene now.

Quite the opposite here in the UK (not sure where you are). I've actually been pleasantly surprised about how warm and enthusiastic the response has been in the media here. For some reason it feels like the timing is right. It's not been wall-to-wall positivity, but considering how they've been in the past towards Michael it feels like it's the most interested and positive they've been in a while.

May I just add to this... When was the last time an album release even made it as a news story! Nobody has forced the media to report on this album so saying that news reporters are unenthusiastic makes no sense.

I agree with ChrisC... the UK media (probably the worlds harshest of critics) seem to be completely enthusiastic about this release.

Look what i just found:

Video:
http://player.vimeo.com/video/90692617

prt_480x270_1396464599.jpg

bestuneverheard.png

Source:
http://www.chriscarboni.com/Epic-Records-Michael-Jackson-s-Xscape

Last edited:

^That's cool. I think that's the picture they used for the cover.

Back