Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Sometimes some reworked/alternative versions sound better than what we get on the album. Of course, what sounds better or less good is subjective. But I can't stop thinking of the alternative/remix version of "You Are Not Alone" (R. Kelly Remix). To me it sounds better than the album version on History.

So, I am not really worried about the reworked versions of Xscape. Let's trust them. And the positive thing anyway is that the DELUXE version will contain the original recordings, which indicates that they are trying to please everyone (which doesn't seem to be an easy task when I see negativity from some fans).

Here's the R.Kelly Remix of You Are Not Alone that I fnd better than what we have on the album. What do you think guys?

OMG! How come I've never this? It's amazing and definitely better than the album version. I think I'm going to replace the original with this one on mu iPod. Thanks for posting it!!

About LNFSG as a first single -- I don't know really. The demo is only with piano, so obviously they will update it, add more instruments, a nice beat etc. On the other hand it doesn't really have a bridge/climax and it gets repetitive, so I'm not sure how it would do on radio. I guess it could go either way but I'm hoping for the best. It does have a chance with the current retro sound that many artists are having (Pharrell, Bruno, Timberlake), so that's a good sign.

While we are waiting for the news regarding Xscape, I am inviting you to stand up and move your booty to this reworked uptempo Beat It:

I think everybody (including me) is just "concerned" if they are doing the right choices and don't screw it up, because as a fan I want this to be successful.

a recent positive marketing example: Katy Perry Teenage dream album. (I am not comparing her to MJ in any way, just from a marketing standpoint).
They made this album successful largely by choosing the right order in which they released the singles imo, and they really DID milk it. Half of the singles weren't even "single material" imo.

Actually, what made that album successful mostly is the fact that Katy Perry herself was able to promote it via show appearances and a tour, combined with her having some sort of say about what will be a single or not. Something Michael can no longer do. The Estate are doing a respectable job so far, they havent even announced a tracklist yet and already people are going "thats a bad single, I don't want it"..Whatever thr single is, keep in mind that its for casual Michael listeners, not us, the hardcore fans. So while it may be something you don't like personally, that doesnt mean its a bad choice. Because whatever the single turns out to be, I'd almost guarantee the general public, the casual Michael listener has heard it yet, its going to be a modernized dance tune of some sort, and as a posthumous artist, odds are it may do well.

While we are waiting for the news regarding Xscape, I am inviting you to stand up and move your booty to this reworked uptempo Beat It:

Yes, blast it in the car....best place to listen to it :D

rsggamer123;3981008 said:
many of the media who have heard the album say there are two songs that could do well as singles..anyone have any idea which two songs they could be?

Can you be sure it´s the same 2 songs they mean?
Perhaps they agree about there are 2 radiofriendly songs but disagree about what songs.

Love Never Felt so good is a classic, Michael's voice on that track is soulful and holds the key of creativity! the depth & meaning he portrays whilst performing the lyrics are truly outstanding.. Possibly one of the best outtakes from the 1980-1983 sessions, as for the lead single.. it could work! but i believe they should choose something stronger i.e slave to the rhythm, as they already have created a possible cover for a single release! they could also include hot fun as a b-side and sttr acapella & instrumental.. best solution and promotion would be radio airplay & tv ad's of course!

The "leaked" Xscape track is everywhere right now. People think it's the new version. Such a shame Sony doesn't release the single ASAP with a bunch of killer remixes.

The first single needs to hit really hard and fast for the album to be relevant.

Example:
http://poponandon.com/first-listen-michael-jackson-xscape/

IMO this will be the albums downfall most of the album has leaked material in their original and some revamped form so people will look for these and assume its the album

YAWN.. sony and the estate aren't building any hype and doing anything in between the day of announcement and release date, are they?
living singers announce the album release so they can build up hype and generate some interest during the period leading up to the day of album release. For MJ, there is no tracklist, no singles. If they aren't going to do anything, they might as well don't make the announcement at all.

If you try really really reaaallly hard, can you find anything good to say about this release?

(3) Paul Anka had a right to say what he said about This Is It. If Michael screwed up, I would expect someone to admit it rather than sugarcoat it and act like he was perfect, as most people tend to do.

Sorry, I just cannot let this go.
Paul A had no right to accuse Michael for stealing TII. They wrote it together so they both had copies of it, just like when Michael recorded with Will I Am, MJ took vocal, Will I Am took music (if I remember correctly).
Michael obviously played around with song and re-named, but the person who screwed up was McClain for not checking origins of the songs.

In 1983, Michael was riding high after releasing Thriller, he most certainly didn't need to go around stealing songs :giggle:

What did I miss? I wasn't glued here the whole morning.

Positive reviews or nnoinvements?

waiting for the news about the first single :) ! Tell Me What About it :yes:

Sorry, I just cannot let this go.
Paul A had no right to accuse Michael for stealing TII. They wrote it together so they both had copies of it, just like when Michael recorded with Will I Am, MJ took vocal, Will I Am took music (if I remember correctly).
Michael obviously played around with song and re-named, but the person who screwed up was McClain for not checking origins of the songs.

In 1983, Michael was riding high after releasing Thriller, he most certainly didn't need to go around stealing songs :giggle:

Yeah, Michael had every right to have a master copy of it as they co-wrote it together. it's not like he released it without Paul's consent and deprived him from co-writer credits.. The Estate did that.

This situation could easily arise again if they don't work out deals with the producers that worked on the song.

On another note, what country will be getting the album first? And when the album leak will some of you listen to it? I sure as hell know i won't. I won't even listen to the "demos" as of now, i want it to be as fresh as possible. :)

Is May 13 a worldwide release for the album? I'm pretty sure the record stores in Mexico will have it days or weeks later, I hate waiting! :rant: :timer:

Is May 13 a worldwide release for the album? I'm pretty sure the record stores in Mexico will have it days or weeks later, I hate waiting! :rant: :timer:

Finland is getting it earlier.

Is that hat glued to Joe Vogel's head?

For me, I can't wait to be surprised. I believe that they want this album to do well. I believe they will want to put out the best single they think has the best shot to be a hit. There is a different feeling this time than before. Like we are really ready for it this time.

I hope nobody gets mad that I say this, With the Sony thing, it's time to let it go. Different time, people and circumstances. You can't forget but it's time to move on as the situation and the people are different there. Michael gave people chances. Michael had a lot of good with sony than bad. Maybe now is the time for the wrongs of the past to be made right in a way.

I'm not gonna listen to anything until I have the album in my hands....I will resist lol

(probably not :fear:)

I hope the confusion will soon be cleared up and the estate announce the tracklisting, i know there are some surprises they have planned (i.e the duet) but most of what is on there, we know of already! patience is currently killing me.

Good evening, I'm an American journalist who works in England, and I attended one of the ceremonies where you could hear a preview of the new album.
Of course I was happy, I am a fan of Michael Jackson for over twenty years.
And of course I can't reveal the track-list and songs that are in it, but I tell you that you are on your way to figure out for yourself what will be the track-list.
Then, don't worry about the single and the publicity, they will come ,the single will be a bomb. And then you will love it, I'm sure, you will love this album, you can hear the great respect that was given to this production, they have complied Jackson. It is a big production, the only song that I'm disappointed (personal opinion,attention) was the production of Slave To The Rhythm, I guess you've already heard the commercials Xperia where you can hear a snippet of this song, well I thought it was better, because I listened to the demo and it is beautiful, a great potential that could be better exploited.
However, news will come very soon, you will see. It will all be in great style, you'll see, everything is totally different from the first posthumous project, will also come new unreleased videos. Greetings to all.

I think everybody (including me) is just "concerned" if they are doing the right choices and don't screw it up, because as a fan I want this to be successful.

a recent positive marketing example: Katy Perry Teenage dream album. (I am not comparing her to MJ in any way, just from a marketing standpoint).
They made this album successful largely by choosing the right order in which they released the singles imo, and they really DID milk it. Half of the singles weren't even "single material" imo.

Katy Perry discounted her singles and added remixes in order to add to their total sales.

Katy Perry discounted her singles and added remixes in order to add to their total sales.

Yeah, to put it another way she retrospectively added number one singles to her album via a re-issue.

However that song Teenage Dream is a number one any day of the week - fabulous pop song.

Why in the world is the media reporting that the demo from 2002 is the new "leaked" song? What the heck is really going on?!

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/04/michael-jackson-album-xscape-does-not-suck

The New Michael Jackson Album "Xscape" Does Not Suck

Forget what you heard; we actually heard the music.
Last night a select group of music execs, press, radio, TV, and representatives of the Michael Jackson estate gathered at the Top of the Rock in NYC for a chance to hear Xscape, the second Michael Jackson album to be released since his tragic death in June 2009. During the ride to the top of Rockefeller Center, a ghostly image of Michael Jackson peered the down through the elevator’s glass ceiling. “Michael would approve,” quipped Fab 5 Freddy, one of the invited guests on the way up.

Upstairs there were magnificent views of Manhattan, signature cocktails, and elegant hors d'oeuvres. But first the guests were compelled to checked their phones (and submit to a metal detector sweep) all in an attempt to prevent digital piracy of the precious audio assets being unveiled that evening. But despite Epic Records’ best efforts, the album's poppin' title track leaked this morning. Normally this would be bad news for the album roll-out, but in this case the music provides a powerful retort to all the cynical criticism that has dogged this project since it was first announced.

“Xscape” was written by MJ and Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, most likely for the Invincible sessions. The track was recently “contemporized” by Jerkins—making it the only one of Xscape's eight cuts to be reworked by its original producer. The rest of the album's creative team includes Timbaland, Stargate, and longtime Jackson family friends Jerome “JRoc” Hamilton and John McClain—who were responsible for updating eight never-before-heard songs from the Jackson vaults, with the aim of giving them "a fresh, contemporary sound that retains Jackson’s essence and integrity," as the press release put it. Based on an informal poll of guests at the party, the prevailing attitude in the room was somewhere between curious and cautiously optimistic.

Sylvia Rhone, the newly appointed President of Epic Records, kicked things off by recalling her own favorite Michael Jackson moment—when she was “the hottest chick on campus” at Penn University and got the chance to see The Jackson 5 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. She then introduced her boss, Epic Records Chairman/CEO Antonio “L.A.” Reid, who assured her that she was still the hottest chick in the place before calling up representatives of the Jackson estate and presenting them with a plaque so enormous it required two strong men to lug it onstage, commemorating over 100 million copies (and counting) sold of Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time.

Despite the fact that it's named after an awesome So So Def girl group, advance press on Xscape, which is due to drop May 13, had been overwhelmingly negative. As with the posthumous 2010 album Michael, knee-jerk news reports (written without hearing any of the music) characterized the songs as cutting-room-floor rejects polished up for purely financial motives—a notion that Antonio “L.A.” Reid wasted no time rebutting. “This is not about record company greed,” he said defiantly. “I knew Michael. I had the chance to spend time with him and I knew how he felt about his work, about breaking new ground and not repeating himself.” The estate reps pointed out that “Michael would not put a vocal down on a song if he didn’t love it,” and that the song “Wanna Be Starting Something” was originally recorded for the album Off The Wall and released later, ditto for “Earth Song,” which was originally written for Dangerous.

Then it was time to let the music play, and suddenly the only words that mattered were the ones Michael was singing. L.A. kicked things off with a sureshot dance-floor filler called “Love Never Felt Like This Before.” There were songs about cheating and double lives, and even darker cuts like "Slave To The Rhythm" a song about the trials of an unappreciated woman, and the “Do You Know Where Your Children Are?” which tells the tale of a 12-year-old runaway and features a haunting refrain of MJ singing “Save Me” over and over. Happily, the “contemporized” production on Xscape not so over-the-top that it distracts from the main attraction here, Michael’s superior songwriting and one-of-a-kind vocals.

Up high on one of the windows was a quote in bold letters that speaks to MJ's creative process. "It's about the thrill of adventure. They love going somewhere they've never been. And we love taking them there." How many recording artists today are even aspiring to do that for their listeners? Contrary to what Kanye West said on "All of the Lights," MJ isn't exactly dead—not as long as he still can make your pulse race by hitting a note with just the right touch of grit in his voice. Almost five years after his outrageously untimely death, the King of Pop's ability to move the crowd endures. He's still a thrilla.

A Swedish radio station just played the track Xscape.

Back