Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Co-written with Brad Buxer according to the copyrights office.

When Buxer and Prince handed over some of their material to the estate, the latter party rushed to copyright it and didn't bother to specify anything. Buxer is listed as cowriter on every song that's registered under his name, even when he had nothing to do with the writing (such is the case with Best of Joy).

I wouldn't entirely trust the copyright registries yet. Let's see how the album comes.

If the 8th song is indeed Lovin' You, then the evidence was under our eyes the whole time, because at least one other early review mentioned that title. But we assumed the reviewer meant "Loving ME", as in "She was loving me".

You're right. All eight song titles were sitting in front of us on March 31st. It's just that Chicago 1945, Chicago (She Was Lovin' Me), and Lovin' You are named so similarly that it caused a bit of confusion.

Is that the version that is the well known leak and other sites are currently stating is Xscape?

I believe Estate/Sony should do their best to remove these leaks because that version is fantastic! The contemporized version may be seen as weaker and will cause disappointment in the consumers they are targeting with the standard cd (those that have not heard the leaks...... until now).

I have not heard the contemporized version however; it must have been an uphill battle for Jerkins to improve on an already amazing production.

I'm actually not a big fan of the 2002 mix. It sounds overworked and dated, somewhat like Heartbreaker, Invincible, 2000 Watts, and Privacy. I totally support Rodney Jerkins overhauling the production.

Calisto, the song will not be the same for me without the prison guards and prisoners' interlude. I thought that was incredible because it gave what would have been a routine song atmosphere, character(s), and a story line.

The bigger issue is Estate/Sony managing expectations. They have to really be more vigilant with the leaks. Everyday brings another site with the same Xscape leak. Enough consumers hear it and may be disappointed with the contemporized version. These are the consumers who will not pre-order and will buy based on singles released.

They may be happy with the contemporized version as well and then eventually disappointed in another song that may be released as a single after hearing the leaks.

I apologise in advance for bringing this up, but is anyone else slightly concerned about the upcoming WR court date and the effect it could potentially have on Xscape??

I agree with all of you stating that the Estate and Sony need to be more active in removing and having the press correct that Xscape 2002 is not Xscape 2014. Enough is enough.

Now I AM excited, even for the LNFSG rework!
The song Xscape (original and new version) will also be very interesting, since the leaked version isn't the final original version as far as we know.
I wonder how Blue Gangster/Gangsta sounds in the new version and also the original. Maybe we will get the version with updated instruments by Dr. Freeze as "original"? Aaahh, so many questions. Can't wait to hear every single song. Bring it on! :)

pollys2;3981290 said:
http://www.complex.com/music/2014/04/michael-jackson-album-xscape-does-not-suck

The New Michael Jackson Album "Xscape" Does Not Suck

Forget what you heard; we actually heard the music.
Last night a select group of music execs, press, radio, TV, and representatives of the Michael Jackson estate gathered at the Top of the Rock in NYC for a chance to hear Xscape, the second Michael Jackson album to be released since his tragic death in June 2009. During the ride to the top of Rockefeller Center, a ghostly image of Michael Jackson peered the down through the elevator’s glass ceiling. “Michael would approve,” quipped Fab 5 Freddy, one of the invited guests on the way up.

Upstairs there were magnificent views of Manhattan, signature cocktails, and elegant hors d'oeuvres. But first the guests were compelled to checked their phones (and submit to a metal detector sweep) all in an attempt to prevent digital piracy of the precious audio assets being unveiled that evening. But despite Epic Records’ best efforts, the album's poppin' title track leaked this morning. Normally this would be bad news for the album roll-out, but in this case the music provides a powerful retort to all the cynical criticism that has dogged this project since it was first announced.

“Xscape” was written by MJ and Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, most likely for the Invincible sessions. The track was recently “contemporized” by Jerkins—making it the only one of Xscape's eight cuts to be reworked by its original producer. The rest of the album's creative team includes Timbaland, Stargate, and longtime Jackson family friends Jerome “JRoc” Hamilton and John McClain—who were responsible for updating eight never-before-heard songs from the Jackson vaults, with the aim of giving them "a fresh, contemporary sound that retains Jackson’s essence and integrity," as the press release put it. Based on an informal poll of guests at the party, the prevailing attitude in the room was somewhere between curious and cautiously optimistic.

Sylvia Rhone, the newly appointed President of Epic Records, kicked things off by recalling her own favorite Michael Jackson moment—when she was “the hottest chick on campus” at Penn University and got the chance to see The Jackson 5 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. She then introduced her boss, Epic Records Chairman/CEO Antonio “L.A.” Reid, who assured her that she was still the hottest chick in the place before calling up representatives of the Jackson estate and presenting them with a plaque so enormous it required two strong men to lug it onstage, commemorating over 100 million copies (and counting) sold of Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time.

Despite the fact that it's named after an awesome So So Def girl group, advance press on Xscape, which is due to drop May 13, had been overwhelmingly negative. As with the posthumous 2010 album Michael, knee-jerk news reports (written without hearing any of the music) characterized the songs as cutting-room-floor rejects polished up for purely financial motives—a notion that Antonio “L.A.” Reid wasted no time rebutting. “This is not about record company greed,” he said defiantly. “I knew Michael. I had the chance to spend time with him and I knew how he felt about his work, about breaking new ground and not repeating himself.” The estate reps pointed out that “Michael would not put a vocal down on a song if he didn’t love it,” and that the song “Wanna Be Starting Something” was originally recorded for the album Off The Wall and released later, ditto for “Earth Song,” which was originally written for Dangerous.

Then it was time to let the music play, and suddenly the only words that mattered were the ones Michael was singing. L.A. kicked things off with a sureshot dance-floor filler called “Love Never Felt Like This Before.” There were songs about cheating and double lives, and even darker cuts like "Slave To The Rhythm" a song about the trials of an unappreciated woman, and the “Do You Know Where Your Children Are?” which tells the tale of a 12-year-old runaway and features a haunting refrain of MJ singing “Save Me” over and over. Happily, the “contemporized” production on Xscape not so over-the-top that it distracts from the main attraction here, Michael’s superior songwriting and one-of-a-kind vocals.

Up high on one of the windows was a quote in bold letters that speaks to MJ's creative process. "It's about the thrill of adventure. They love going somewhere they've never been. And we love taking them there." How many recording artists today are even aspiring to do that for their listeners? Contrary to what Kanye West said on "All of the Lights," MJ isn't exactly dead—not as long as he still can make your pulse race by hitting a note with just the right touch of grit in his voice. Almost five years after his outrageously untimely death, the King of Pop's ability to move the crowd endures. He's still a thrilla.

Great article :clapping:

This is definitely ott, but did everyone missed the part about Thriller?

No, they are not saying "all leaked material is fake". That article says that the version leaked is an old demo and not updated version which is going to appear on the album.

I wonder how much damage these media outlets are causing to actual release? People hear demo version and don't like what they hear, and might the whole album if full of similar demo music?

I was wondering, shouldn't at least fan club representatives be invited to these listening sessions?

Can't wait to hear it once it's released.

No, they are not saying "all leaked material is fake". That article says that the version leaked is an old demo and not updated version which is going to appear on the album.

I wonder how much damage these media outlets are causing to actual release? People hear demo version and don't like what they hear, and might the whole album if full of similar demo music?

Also, the opposite is equally possible. People may hear the original leaked version and much prefer it to the as of yet updated version.

^^ You are right of course :agree:
The articles I have read about demo song seems to be 90% positive, so who knows:yes:

I was just thinking that generally people don't buy demos of any artists that they are not really fans of, and if they think the whole album is full of demos they'll give it a miss.

Last edited:

Now I think Sony/Estate should release the first single, quickly.

Overall it's a mixed-to-positive review. The author seems to have enjoyed it overall, and praises Michael throughout (bar the discussion of his public perception at the time of his death, which is spot on).

I saw that he described a song entitled Loving You, which intrigues me. If it turns out that this is indeed the missing song, it's another Dangerous / Decade outtake, recorded in 1989. It was one of the first songs Michael collaborated on with Brad Buxer.

1. Love Never Felt So Good (1983)
2. Chicago (She Was Loving Me) (1999)
3. Loving You (1989) (??)
4. A Place With No Name (1998)
5. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (1990)
6. Slave to the Rhythm (1989)
7. Blue Gangsta (1998)
8. Xscape (1999)
9. Hot Fun in the Summertime (est. 1985)

Seems that the album is heavily oriented around Dangerous and Invincible outtakes. Of course I'm just assuming that the author is indeed correct with the unheard missing title. In any case, I'm very excited!

I think it's fake for hot fun in summertime! In 1985 how old was Mary J Blige, and D'Angelo? Maybe 13 or 14 years old!

Please Sony, get the first single out! Every showbiz news/blog site is streaming the old Xscape version. :/

@Alwaysthere; do you think michael had Bad25 on his radar? I mean I can't find any reason why he would re-record that song.. :p

I hope new info will be in Monday. Estate... plz.

I hope new info will be in Monday. Estate... plz.

Here's hoping they will give us us some info.... But we may be in for a longer wait. I think they are not releasing the names of the songs because they know that 6 of the 8 have been previously available online so they may keep it hidden right up until the last moment.

Please Sony, get the first single out! Every showbiz news/blog site is streaming the old Xscape version. :/

Well you can leave a comment if you want and inform them that this is the unfinished leaked version.
New version will be on the album, and finished original version as a bonus on the deluxe.

I've done so on a few pages.

Firstly, are there any further projects around the album, like videos, or maybe video games or Blu Rays or even, why not some kind of tribute concert?

Secondly, and most importantly, how are you?

Admin note: To ensure an enjoyable experience for all members, please try to refrain from any off topic conversation. This thread is moving fast and it's hard enough to keep up with without having to sift through posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

To be extremely blunt I don't think Estate or Sony or any other party would be hell bent on pleasing people who tend to leak and/or illegally download or listen to songs. If you heard those songs, it's your fault. Not theirs.

I guess if the above is right, the Estate don't care if people hear the old leaked versions. That's all their fault, apparently.

I just wish that with MJ's new album they try to innovate, to bring something new, something fresh. Music industry craves for quality and innovation. Songs/singers come and go in a heartbeat. I hope they have a good strategy to maintain Xscape long enough to develop other projects around it.

Is May 13 a worldwide release for the album? I'm pretty sure the record stores in Mexico will have it days or weeks later, I hate waiting! :rant: :timer:

Singapore will get it the next day.

I just wish that with MJ's new album they try to innovate, to bring something new, something fresh. Music industry craves for quality and innovation. Songs/singers come and go in a heartbeat. I hope they have a good strategy to maintain Xscape long enough to develop other projects around it.

It'll be a challenge to catch the attention of today's audience of the internet age. Who seem to have the attention span of a goldfish.

The short promotional video proved that it is possible to revive MJ in videos. All they need is people with imagination who are able to do a good job. Those people do exist, but they should headhunt them.

Here are few examples of videos made by fans. When you see their awesome job and patience to produce something like that, it iappears clear that the potential is out there. All they need is to employ the right people for the right tasks.

What do you think about these videos guys? Don't you think that Xscape deserves to have awesome videos which could be produced even better with appropriate technology.

1) Take me away - a song completely fabricated by a fan thanks to other songs. What is admirable here, is not only thepatience to put the words together into sentences and music, but also the video that goes with it. Of course I am noit encouraging to fabricate songs, Ia m jsut drawing attention to the endless possibilities when it comes to creativity:

2) A video for "THREATENED". Awesome work which requires patience and love for MJ. Check it out:

3) & 4) Awesome pictures and edited videos put together to make unreleased videos such as 2000 Watts and Dangerous

Thanks to love, devotion and creativity everything is possible. I hope they move their a** and prove that with professional tools can do a better job than an average fan.

I guess if the above is right, the Estate don't care if people hear the old leaked versions. That's all their fault, apparently.
That's not what she said. You took that quote from a paragraph -- and you didn't even quote the entire paragraph -- of a much larger post that was posted over a week and ~150 pages ago, and are now replying to it out of context.

The original point that was made is that there's no way the Estate and Sony would go out of their way to please people who have leaked and/or illegally downloaded songs and are now complaining that there is hardly any "new" material on the upcoming album.

Back