Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

I think either could work. If they were to do a documentary, I don't mean a fullscale 2 hours doco like Bad 25, I just mean a short (like... up to 30? minutes) documentary on MJ working on the songs featured on the new album, with interviews only with the people you see him working with in the footage. I don't think it should be released on it's own like Bad 25, it should be packaged with the special edition of the album and on a few TV networks around the time of release.

Raw footage could work too, though it probably wouldn't be fit for television. You could probably have the DVD menu showcase a list of songs on the new album, choose a song and it'll show you chronologically ordered raw footage of MJ and the producers working on the songs or something. I'd probably like the latter option to be honest hehe. I'd be happy either way to be honest! :p

sounds wonderful, but all of Michael's recording sessions each have there own special trademark if i'm honest. and personally i think it could work for television, people know michael is the greatest ever and seeing him work on these sublime unreleased song's would just be a treat. same with the we are the world footage, i'm sure people would love to see that again too. don't doubt the brilliance behind michael's craft, to mesmerize the world now ;)

or possibly the estate could give studio footage to itv or bbc for example and edit it down with interviews etc.? doing two different versions for the different purposes of the audience would be pretty coool

A TV documentary would be interesting, but it won't happen.

A DVD bonus in a Deluxe Edition with flat out studio footage would be immense.

A DVD bonus in a Deluxe Edition with flat out studio footage would be immense.

couldn't agree more, we don't need no other documentary with just snippets. we need something that feels complete.

couldn't agree more, we don't need no other documentary with just snippets. we need something that feels complete.

yeah. Maybe just MJ doing the vocal takes for each song? Wouldn't require any voice overs, interviews or anything just the footage.

yeah. Maybe just MJ doing the vocal takes for each song? Wouldn't require any voice overs, interviews or anything just the footage.

very true, and that would be something special for all fans i think! especially some studio footage for the unreleased recording's, that'd be the cherry on the cake

very true, and that would be something special for all fans i think! especially some studio footage for the unreleased recording's, that'd be the cherry on the cake

If they were going to package it with the unreleased material, they would pretty much have to include footage of him working on unreleased songs :D

In addition to showing him recording the vocals, they could show him sitting at the mixing console, offering suggestions and feedback etc. They could show them writing some songs too (I believe MJ wrote songs inside the studio, as well as outside), I also heard that MJ would get up to mischief in the studio with his producers and stuff, so they could show that too if they wanted. Show the fun and playful side of the Michael we all know and love :)

If they were going to package it with the unreleased material, they would pretty much have to include footage of him working on unreleased songs :D

In addition to showing him recording the vocals, they could show him sitting at the mixing console, offering suggestions and feedback etc. They could show them writing some songs too (I believe MJ wrote songs inside the studio, as well as outside), I also heard that MJ would get up to mischief in the studio with his producers and stuff, so they could show that too if they wanted. Show the fun and playful side of the Michael we all know and love :)

Wow that all sounds great... really excited about what is going to come out...

So many possibilities depending on the footage they have. I don't see why there shouldn't be a deluxe album anyway it seems standard procedure nowadays. Make the studio DVD exclusive to the package and boom the sales should go up. Give each disc (standard, deluxe) different things and then we'll have to buy both to get all of it. That way more $$ for them and more Michael for us.

Give each disc (standard, deluxe) different things and then we'll have to buy both to get all of it. That way more $$ for them and more Michael for us.

Nooooooooo. We need this project to have as little negative controversy as possible and this idea would just come across as a blatant money-making attempt. It also wouldn't be fair to those on a budget who might not be able to buy two copies of the same album. Besides, I don't want to buy two copies, especially just for a few songs. I'm happy to pay a few dollars extra for a couple more songs, but not the price of another album.

Nooooooooo. We need this project to have as little negative controversy as possible and this idea would just come across as a blatant money-making attempt. It also wouldn't be fair to those on a budget who might not be able to buy two copies of the same album. Besides, I don't want to buy two copies, especially just for a few songs. I'm happy to pay a few dollars extra for a couple more songs, but not the price of another album.

Yeah I suppose, I think you're right. We need success here and maybe that wouldn't be the way to do it.

Personally, I think the Estate really needs to go the route that will have little-to-no controversy behind it. My expectations are for five songs, with two different versions of each song included. Nothing else. That way, if for whatever reason there are more songs (which there probably will be), I'll be pleasantly surprised. Anything else included runs the risk of fans not being happy.

Wow that all sounds great... really excited about what is going to come out...

Your post got me a little worried, so I just wanted to underline that the footage of recording is not confirmed to be included with the album. HIStoric was simply listing reasons on why it would be great for it to happen.

am just about out of patience =p

I am so tires of waiting. :lol:

BUT - If the album is great it will be worth the wait! - And I am sure the new album will be great!!

New album should have 2 cds.
First one with original Mj s songs and demos untouched,and secound with fresh mix.
12 original songs and 12 freshly mixed :)
Songs included:Blue gangsta,Do you now where your children are,A place with no name,I am a loser,Chicago,People of The World,Days in gloucestire,She was lovin me,Escape and Cant get your weight off of me and 2 song/demos we never heard of :)

New album should have 2 cds.
First one with original Mj s songs and demos untouched,and secound with fresh mix.
12 original songs and 12 freshly mixed :)
Songs included:Blue gangsta,Do you now where your children are,A place with no name,I am a loser,Chicago,People of The World,Days in gloucestire,She was lovin me,Escape and Cant get your weight off of me and 2 song/demos we never heard of :)

all sounds good to me but we shouldn't write tracklists just yet, to avoid being dissapointed, and if they are releasing the original demo's also.. they should release a deluxe edition titled 'The Vision of a master' hehe ;)

^ that's the thing...

It is super fun to create ideas and come up with what we would want - I get that and have done it myself. BUT, in return the more we build it up in our heads the more of a let down an album would be when it falls short of the romanticized image we create...

If we all can except the fact they might pick tracks that we don't favor over others, it does not come with all this extra stuff, and we can be happy with whatever new material we get knowing it is REALLY Michael.. Than let imaginations go wild! Otherwise since we are not part of the team creating the album if our ideas go far beyond the spectrum they plan we would be let down even if the album is good.

I really wish they would select a group of about 10-15 fans to help them create their "projects." There are some very creative fans even here on this forum and I know that together with the experts at Sony they could create magic!

^ 100% agree, that's always been a wish of mine!!

^ 100% agree, that's always been a wish of mine!!

and mine, i have so many ideas. most of them written in my requests to the estate in the contact thread.

I want at the very least for us to get an idea a little advanced prior to release so us fans can make fan trailers we can put up on youtube/facebook/twitter etc.. help advertise it!!

I want at the very least for us to get an idea a little advanced prior to release so us fans can make fan trailers we can put up on youtube/facebook/twitter etc.. help advertise it!!

great idea, that's highly unlikely though, we could advertise it using audio from apwnn & blue gangsta right now though, and make an animated trailer with video footage from 1997-2009 and write ''coming spring 2014'' at the end?

^ Well yeah, I do think the timing of making and showing them are important too though.. I think an official announcement should be made first and as soon after post the trailers... Also banners to put on twitter/facebook etc...

We wouldn't want the trailers to die out before an announcement is made you know? I think now collecting footage for it would be good.. Concept ideas etc.

^ Well yeah, I do think the timing of making and showing them are important too though.. I think an official announcement should be made first and as soon after post the trailers... Also banners to put on twitter/facebook etc...

We wouldn't want the trailers to die out before an announcement is made you know? I think now collecting footage for it would be good.. Concept ideas etc.

how about using some footage from this interview?
and perhaps, some studio footage from WMCIG but some snippets of the song's that will be featured as a montage? I think that'd work well, and then like flash of Photo's from the later years? that's what I'd do if I knew how to work that stuff :lol:

I really wish they would select a group of about 10-15 fans to help them create their "projects." There are some very creative fans even here on this forum and I know that together with the experts at Sony they could create magic!

I would be amazed if they don't already have MJ fan advisors involved with all their projects, and I would hope those people have been chosen wisely to ensure they are forward thinking enough to embrace new ideas that are likely to take the MJ legacy forward into the future rather than rely on the existing fanbase. MJ was very inactive and faced many serious controversies in his last 15 years, causing his installed fanbase to decline further and further. When he died there was resurgence in interest and respect, but the general public are very fickle and it's far from certain that his legacy will live on in a commercially successful or respected way for decades to come.

As commercial businesses it would be better for the MJ Estate and Sony to sell 5million copies of MJ's next album because they appealed to the masses, rather than 1million because they appealed to only fans.
Plus, on a rather selfish note, I would prefer to see MJ's album and singles at the top of the charts and hear them on the radio with high rotation. The changes necessary to achieve those things would not appeal to many hard-core MJ fans, judging from the reaction on this board, so if they only speak to 10 - 15 people from a board like this they will not achieve commercial success IMO.

It's a balancing act. On one hand they need to keep the (very opinionated and vocal) MJ fanbase happy to prevent a negative backlash and on the other hand they need to produce something that appeals to the general public. If they don't sell to the general public or create new fans, expanding the fan base, MJ's legacy will disappear very quickly indeed and will not have the prolonged success that Elvis and The Beatles have had.

The Cirque projects have been successful so far. Immortal sought out an audience as it travelled, but only time will tell how many years MJ ONE can continue its static residency in Las Vegas. Even Elvis' show had to close its doors recently after a relatively short time in Vegas.

The lack of widespread commercial success with the 'Michael' and 'BAD25' projects indicates (IMO) that the MJ Estate are struggling to keep the public's interest in his music products. The MJ fanbase is not big enough to produce a widely successful project by itself, that much is certain at this point, and so I guess that's why the MJ Estate is planning the 'then and now' concept. They don't want to appeal to only the MJ fanbase (like the BAD25 project), because that doesn't produce commercial success. They want mass appeal.

This year (the 5th anniversary of MJ's death) will provide a real indication of what lies ahead. If there are high profile, successful projects MJ could be around for many years to come, if projects are low key or sink quickly without a trace then I think MJ as a commercially successful entity is done forever.

great idea, that's highly unlikely though, we could advertise it using audio from apwnn & blue gangsta right now though, and make an animated trailer with video footage from 1997-2009 and write ''coming spring 2014'' at the end?
The problem with that is we don't have confirmation of Spring 2014 . or anything official about what songs etc. You can actually hurt your credibility and any promotion by putting out erroneous information. Just like the fans who started posting they had official Tracks for the new album based on Damien's fantasy list. We should probably wait till we have an official announcement. But I do think fans should help with the promotion. We always did that for Michael.

@bobmoo79

To expect a posthumus MJ album to sell 5 million copies these days sounds like a VERY irrealistic expectation. The highest selling album of 2013 was Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience and it sold about 2.4 million copies in the US. Based on it's certifications in other countries I doubt it reached the 5 million mark world wide. Or if it did, only slightly. Beyoncé's much hyped current album sold about 1.4 million in the US so far. I have seen the list of top 10 best selling albums of 2013 in the US and what struck me that these days if you sell 1 million copies of an album that will put your album in the Top 10 best selling albums of the year.

And we are talking about current artists who are alive and actively make videos, tour, give interviews, promote etc etc. If you expect a posthumus MJ album to be on that commercial level or even higher then I don't think your expectations are realistic. Actually for a posthumus MJ album to sell 1 million copies would be VERY good.

If they don't sell to the general public or create new fans, expanding the fan base, MJ's legacy will disappear very quickly indeed and will not have the prolonged success that Elvis and The Beatles have had.

You act like every Elvis and Beatles posthumus release is a commercial success. In fact, most Elvis and Beatles posthumus releases are NOT a commercial success but are targeted to hard core fans. Sometimes they score a big hit, true, but it took decades for both Elvis and the Beatles to do that. Most Beatles releases in the 80s were commercially unsuccessful. It took until 1995 until the Beatles started to sell well again. For Elvis it took until 2002. You have to accept that with artists who are not alive you cannot keep up a constant interest year after year, release after release. Most posthumus releases will not be commercially successful, not because MJ "as a commercial entity is done forever" but because it's impossible to keep up that interest for a dead artist year after year, release after release. Michael is only dead for 5 years and right after his death there was a big surge in people buying his records. After such a big surge there inevitably comes a bit of a down for years until the public again will be hungry and nostalgic for his music. That's how it works with the Beatles, Elvis and with every artist who is not alive or not a current act. To make it look like the next release is some kind of "make or break" for MJ and his long term prosepcts to me indicates that you do not really understand the nature of posthumus "careers".

Also, record sales generally are on an all time low. Artists these days do not make much money of record sales alone. Like I said an album that bareley sold 1 million copies is among the Top 10 best selling albums of the year these days.

And Michael's legacy is well and safe. I don't like the doom and gloom you paint for it just because Michael and Bad 25 weren't successful. Again, do you know how many Beatles/Elvis releases are not commercially successful?

With no anniversary, no reissue, no promotion, nothing, Thriller was among the Top 200 best selling albums of the year in the US. Immortal is a phenomenal success, as well as ONE. According to global iTunes ranking Number Ones is in the Top 10 in 19 countries right now, as we speak. His albums and DVDs constantly chart all over the world. So Michael's legacy is pretty well and alive and it will not be determined by the success of posthumus releases with previously unreleased material.

Last edited:

As far as posthumus sales it really depends on a couple things.. The quality of music on the album, the type of music on the album, and promotion/exposer... a Michael Jackson album selling 5 million is VERY reachable, the 'Michael' album sold (according to Wiki which I know is not always right) 3 million copies.. That is with boycotts against the album, which lowered sale capabilities, not much exposer.. Not just that, at least from the music that we believe will be on the new album (ones we've heard) are songs that is more radio friendly and liked by fans across the board which would most likely relay to the general public very similarly.

5 million is verrrry reachable for Michael Jackson, I mean seriously 'Michael' selling 3 million, we know how many fans here on the forum alone did not get the album because of the controversy.. That was the same all around the world with fan base, you take that out of the equation that makes a huge difference.. You put that into consideration plus you throw in radio friendly songs for todays ear like STTR, that would be a smash!! one big single would up sales a lottt!!

Did John Lennon and Bob Marley not do well with posthumous releases in the years following their respective deaths? Are they comparable?

There's Freddie too.

Did John Lennon and Bob Marley not do well with posthumous releases in the years following their respective deaths? Are they comparable?

There's Freddie too.

fairly sure the new queen album (out soon) will sell more than a million at least, bob marley has gotten a few to number one or two in the charts i think, as has tupac? i'm sure a proper Michael Jackson unreleased album, if advertised extensively will sell more than 'Michael' did..

Back