Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Tupac's biggest singles internationally certainly came after his death. So maybe not as comparable. Tupac's fame perhaps increased internationally following his passing.

finally, i will not complain if we get several leaked song's from the HIStory to Invincible (and later) it's not Michael's nor the estate's fault that these recording's leaked. they definitely deserve official releases, so i will not complain. All i'm asking for is at least 4 never before heard song's (2 from 2006-09')

Did John Lennon and Bob Marley not do well with posthumous releases in the years following their respective deaths? Are they comparable?

There's Freddie too.

When Lennon died he just had an album out - Double Fantasy. Expectedly his death propelled that album to Nr 1 (initially sales weren't that great). Eventually it became 3x Platinum. Then in 1984 his only posthumus studio album was released which sold 500k in the US. Not bad, not great. There have been a number of compilation albums released since his death, the highest charting was Power to the People: The Hits in 2010 which peaked at Nr 24 on Billboard. His best selling solo compilation to date is The John Lennon Collection which was released in 1982 and went 3x Platinum since, although when it was released it peaked at Nr 33 in the US. It was more successful in other countries - going to Nr 1 in the UK, Australia and Norway.

If you look at his discography you will see that most of his posthumus releases peaked at lower than Nr. 50 and many outside of the top 100: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon_discography

As for Bob Marley, all his sales are basically focused on one album - a greatest hits compilation called Legend which was released in 1984. It's been issued and reissued and remastered several times over the time and it's a constant seller. It sold about 14 million copies in the US and 25 million globally. But when it was released in 1984 it peaked at Nr 18 on the Billboard. However it seems that since then it became THE Bob Marley album for people who want a Marley album. Which makes sense as it is a greatest hits album. None of his other albums sales is even close to the sales of Legends (they are usually in the realm of Gold).

So it's not comparable to Michael because he has several albums which are big sellers and his sales aren't focused only on one album like Marley's. He also has several greatest hits albums out there, not just one so even people who want a MJ greatest hits album can't just pick one like those who want a Marley greatest hits. So I don't think this is comparable to what we are talking about here regarding Michael - which is the prospect of previously unreleased materials, not GH compilations.

Freddie Mercury as a solo artist wasn't really huge (he was huge as a member of Queen). His first posthumus album was his best selling solo album (The Freddie Mercury Album in 1992) and it achieved 2x Platinum status in the UK, but didn't even chart in the US. There were a couple of other posthumus solo albums released for Freddie, but none of them charted in the US and even in the UK they were less successful than the first posthumus release.

All this is good to put things into a perspective and for keeping our expectations in check, I think.

finally, i will not complain if we get several leaked song's from the HIStory to Invincible (and later) it's not Michael's nor the estate's fault that these recording's leaked. they definitely deserve official releases, so i will not complain. All i'm asking for is at least 4 never before heard song's (2 from 2006-09')

WORD!!

Just becuase some few hardcore MJ fans have heard the songs - the general public should not be taken the opportunity to hear all these great songs!!

Sure enough not all the tracks should be (and sure will not be) previously leaked songs, but yeah - If we get just 4-6 all new songs I am VERY happy!!

I would LOVE - and hope - that Blue Gangsta, Escape, STTR, APWNN and DYKWYCA are officially released! - The world needs to hear those amazing songs!! - DiG sounds great too from the snippets. And I like I am a loser too. - I would love the most recent version available, don't know if that is I AM a Loser or I WAS the Loser.

Also I would love if We've Had Enough was on the album - or WMCIG in MJ solo version!

Can't wait for a new MJ album! I have my hopes high!!

WORD!!

Just becuase some few hardcore MJ fans have heard the songs - the general public should not be taken the opportunity to hear all these great songs!!

Sure enough not all the tracks should be (and sure will not be) previously leaked songs, but yeah - If we get just 4-6 all new songs I am VERY happy!!

I would LOVE - and hope - that Blue Gangsta, Escape, STTR, APWNN and DYKWYCA are officially released! - The world needs to hear those amazing songs!! - DiG sounds great too from the snippets. And I like I am a loser too. - I would love the most recent version available, don't know if that is I AM a Loser or I WAS the Loser.

Also I would love if We've Had Enough was on the album - or WMCIG in MJ solo version!

Can't wait for a new MJ album! I have my hopes high!!

I made a Fanmade wish list album including Blue Gangsta etc. and Song's from my TUC CD, never get tired of t! and if they do include I Am A Loser this tile around & I Was The Loser at a later time then I would completely understand that startergy, Michael intended these recording's for two different thing's and they both deserve to be heard in true CDQ. We've Had Enough has only been heard by people who bought 'The Ultimate Collection' Box set, but when I played it to my friends (non Michael fans) they said it was great and better than a few on thriller (don't ask me why they said that) but I'm fairly sure WHE can make a big impact on the world.. especially with the message of it too.

respect77;3948442 said:
@bobmoo79

To expect a posthumus MJ album to sell 5 million copies these days sounds like a VERY irrealistic expectation. The highest selling album of 2013 was Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience and it sold about 2.4 million copies in the US. Based on it's certifications in other countries I doubt it reached the 5 million mark world wide. Or if it did, only slightly. Beyoncé's much hyped current album sold about 1.4 million in the US so far. I have seen the list of top 10 best selling albums of 2013 in the US and what struck me that these days if you sell 1 million copies of an album that will put your album in the Top 10 best selling albums of the year.

And we are talking about current artists who are alive and actively make videos, tour, give interviews, promote etc etc. If you expect a posthumus MJ album to be on that commercial level or even higher then I don't think your expectations are realistic. Actually for a posthumus MJ album to sell 1 million copies would be VERY good.

You act like every Elvis and Beatles posthumus release is a commercial success. In fact, most Elvis and Beatles posthumus releases are NOT a commercial success but are targeted to hard core fans. Sometimes they score a big hit, true, but it took decades for both Elvis and the Beatles to do that. Most Beatles releases in the 80s were commercially unsuccessful. It took until 1995 until the Beatles started to sell well again. For Elvis it took until 2002. You have to accept that with artists who are not alive you cannot keep up a constant interest year after year, release after release. Most posthumus releases will not be commercially successful, not because MJ "as a commercial entity is done forever" but because it's impossible to keep up that interest for a dead artist year after year, release after release. Michael is only dead for 5 years and right after his death there was a big surge in people buying his records. After such a big surge there inevitably comes a bit of a down for years until the public again will be hungry and nostalgic for his music. That's how it works with the Beatles, Elvis and with every artist who is not alive or not a current act. To make it look like the next release is some kind of "make or break" for MJ and his long term prosepcts to me indicates that you do not really understand the nature of posthumus "careers".

Also, record sales generally are on an all time low. Artists these days do not make much money of record sales alone. Like I said an album that bareley sold 1 million copies is among the Top 10 best selling albums of the year these days.

And Michael's legacy is well and safe. I don't like the doom and gloom you paint for it just because Michael and Bad 25 weren't successful. Again, do you know how many Beatles/Elvis releases are not commercially successful?

With no anniversary, no reissue, no promotion, nothing, Thriller was among the Top 200 best selling albums of the year in the US. Immortal is a phenomenal success, as well as ONE. According to global iTunes ranking Number Ones is in the Top 10 in 19 countries right now, as we speak. His albums and DVDs constantly chart all over the world. So Michael's legacy is pretty well and alive and it will not be determined by the success of posthumus releases with previously unreleased material.

There is a bigger world out there, it doesn't revolve around the US of A. Not in music, not in fashion, not in art, not in politics. Not in lots of things.
The USA is NOT the most significant music market for MJ (and hasn't been for 25 years) and it isn't for many, many artists out there.
I was not referring to sales in the USA and hadn't even considered it at all. I was talking about global sales.

I have admit that I'm not well informed when it comes to posthumous releases, and the sales figures I mentioned in my previous post were meant to highlight a large sales differentiation, not specific sales targets.
Yes, sales have fallen in recent years BUT I have just done some quick research and 5million total sales IS possible for a highly successful album.

The biggest selling album of 2013 was Bruno Mars (Unauthadoxed Jukebox), which sold around 4million copies.
The next biggest was JT's 20/20 Experience that sold 3.2million. Behind that was Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. Beyonce sold about 2.5million copies of her recent album in about 3 weeks. It's not inconceivable that those albums could all sell 5million eventually.
In 2012 Adele had the biggest selling album, selling over 9million copies of '21'.It was followed by Taylor Swift who sold 3.8million copies of 'Red', and One Direction who sold 3.6million copies of 'Up Al Night'.
By looking at year end charts, Adeles' '21' album has sold at least 25million copies since it was released in 2011. This is truely exception these days, but shows a market is there for the right product.
In the same year Lady Gaga sold around 5.4million copies off 'Born This Way' and Michael Buble sold 5.2million copies of his 'Christmas' album. Bruno Mars sold 5.2million copies of 'Doo-Wops and Hooligans' (it also sold 1.2million in 2012, taking the total to at least 6.4million).
It is perfectly possible for a highly successful album by a living artist to sell a total of 5million copies across 2014 and 2015. IF that is possible then it is also possible for MJ to sell up to 5million copies IF it is highly successful.
Regardless of specific sales figures, my point was this: If the MJ Estate want to sell a far greater number of albums they must appeal to the wider population, not just MJ fans. Simple.
I don't pretend that EVERY Beatles and Elvis release was a great success. I know they weren't BUT I do consider that they were well respected , highly praised artists. They had good will on their side. MJ is also highly praised but faces far more ongoing controversy and criticism than Elvis and The Beatles that DOES do real damage to his reputation,legacy and commercial prospects. If you walk down the street and ask one hundred people about all 3 artists, I guarantee MJ will draw less praise and more criticsm. He will appear to be the least popular artists by far because of all those troubles. He has a distinct disadvantage. When MJ died, all he had going for him was the quality of his music, and even then only the early stuff - people liked to dismiss anything after Thriller or BAD, despite what most MJ fans will tell them. I believe that if MJ doesn't have a big success, the chances of future success are diminished. That won't stop me hoping for success on the next project, or the one after that, but I don't foresee a massive resurgence in MJ sales in 10 to 15 years time like for Beatles and Elvis.
MJ's reputation for his early achievements with OTW, Thriller and BAD are assured. Very few people (even haters) would argue against his dominance or success at that point in his career - most people still respect the 1980s MJ - but wouldn't it be nice to see a successful MJ product on the shelves once again??

When Lennon died he just had an album out - Double Fantasy. Expectedly his death propelled that album to Nr 1 (initially sales weren't that great). Eventually it became 3x Platinum. Then in 1984 his only posthumus studio album was released which sold 500k in the US. Not bad, not great. There have been a number of compilation albums released since his death, the highest charting was Power to the People: The Hits in 2010 which peaked at Nr 24 on Billboard. His best selling solo compilation to date is The John Lennon Collection which was released in 1982 and went 3x Platinum since, although when it was released it peaked at Nr 33 in the US. It was more successful in other countries - going to Nr 1 in the UK, Australia and Norway.

If you look at his discography you will see that most of his posthumus releases peaked at lower than Nr. 50 and many outside of the top 100: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon_discography

As for Bob Marley, all his sales are basically focused on one album - a greatest hits compilation called Legend which was released in 1984. It's been issued and reissued and remastered several times over the time and it's a constant seller. It sold about 14 million copies in the US and 25 million globally. But when it was released in 1984 it peaked at Nr 18 on the Billboard. However it seems that since then it became THE Bob Marley album for people who want a Marley album. Which makes sense as it is a greatest hits album. None of his other albums sales is even close to the sales of Legends (they are usually in the realm of Gold).

So it's not comparable to Michael because he has several albums which are big sellers and his sales aren't focused only on one album like Marley's. He also has several greatest hits albums out there, not just one so even people who want a MJ greatest hits album can't just pick one like those who want a Marley greatest hits. So I don't think this is comparable to what we are talking about here regarding Michael - which is the prospect of previously unreleased materials, not GH compilations.

Freddie Mercury as a solo artist wasn't really huge (he was huge as a member of Queen). His first posthumus album was his best selling solo album (The Freddie Mercury Album in 1992) and it achieved 2x Platinum status in the UK, but didn't even chart in the US. There were a couple of other posthumus solo albums released for Freddie, but none of them charted in the US and even in the UK they were less successful than the first posthumus release.

All this is good to put things into a perspective and for keeping our expectations in check, I think.

Really informative post, thanks. But what about singles? Particularly with John and Freddie there were a few top 10 singles, even number ones, in the short space following their deaths weren't there?

For Bob I can remember Iron Lion Zion being a top 10 hit in the UK but that was around 1992/1993 so a fair while after his passing.

There is a bigger world out there, it doesn't revolve around the US of A. Not in music, not in fashion, not in art, not in politics. Not in lots of things.
The USA is NOT the most significant music market for MJ (and hasn't been for 25 years) and it isn't for many, many artists out there.
I was not referring to sales in the USA and hadn't even considered it at all. I was talking about global sales.

Still 2.4 mil in the US is quite surprising to me. The UK's biggest selling album of 2013 sold 1.1 million (the Now compilation), so that's nearly 50% of what Justin did in America. There was a time when we lagged way behind the US for sales.

Justin did 2.4 mil in a week with his NSYNC pals back in the day...

bobmoo79;3948772 said:

I have admit that I'm not well informed when it comes to posthumous releases, and the sales figures I mentioned in my previous post were meant to highlight a large sales differentiation, not specific sales targets.
Yes, sales have fallen in recent years BUT I have just done some quick research and 5million total sales IS possible for a highly successful album.

The biggest selling album of 2013 was Bruno Mars (Unauthadoxed Jukebox), which sold around 4million copies.
The next biggest was JT's 20/20 Experience that sold 3.2million. Behind that was Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. Beyonce sold about 2.5million copies of her recent album in about 3 weeks. It's not inconceivable that those albums could all sell 5million eventually.
In 2012 Adele had the biggest selling album, selling over 9million copies of '21'.It was followed by Taylor Swift who sold 3.8million copies of 'Red', and One Direction who sold 3.6million copies of 'Up Al Night'.
By looking at year end charts, Adeles' '21' album has sold at least 25million copies since it was released in 2011. This is truely exception these days, but shows a market is there for the right product.
In the same year Lady Gaga sold around 5.4million copies off 'Born This Way' and Michael Buble sold 5.2million copies of his 'Christmas' album. Bruno Mars sold 5.2million copies of 'Doo-Wops and Hooligans' (it also sold 1.2million in 2012, taking the total to at least 6.4million).
It is perfectly possible for a highly successful album by a living artist to sell a total of 5million copies across 2014 and 2015. IF that is possible then it is also possible for MJ to sell up to 5million copies IF it is highly successful.
Regardless of specific sales figures, my point was this: If the MJ Estate want to sell a far greater number of albums they must appeal to the wider population, not just MJ fans. Simple.
I don't pretend that EVERY Beatles and Elvis release was a great success. I know they weren't BUT I do consider that they were well respected , highly praised artists. They had good will on their side. MJ is also highly praised but faces far more ongoing controversy and criticism than Elvis and The Beatles that DOES do real damage to his reputation,legacy and commercial prospects. If you walk down the street and ask one hundred people about all 3 artists, I guarantee MJ will draw less praise and more criticsm. He will appear to be the least popular artists by far because of all those troubles. He has a distinct disadvantage. When MJ died, all he had going for him was the quality of his music, and even then only the early stuff - people liked to dismiss anything after Thriller or BAD, despite what most MJ fans will tell them. I believe that if MJ doesn't have a big success, the chances of future success are diminished. That won't stop me hoping for success on the next project, or the one after that, but I don't foresee a massive resurgence in MJ sales in 10 to 15 years time like for Beatles and Elvis.
MJ's reputation for his early achievements with OTW, Thriller and BAD are assured. Very few people (even haters) would argue against his dominance or success at that point in his career - most people still respect the 1980s MJ - but wouldn't it be nice to see a successful MJ product on the shelves once again??

I know there's a world outside of the US, but I cited US numbers because those are easier to track than WW sales - and from US sales you can about project WW sales (obviously taking it into consideration that some artists are more popular in the US, some are more popular outside of it).

You quote sales numbers for CURRENT artists, most of which did not sell 5 million copies of their current albums, or just a bit above it. And that's exactly my point: these are the most popular current artists - active, touring, making videos, creating buzz etc. - and even they struggle to sell 5 million copies WW these days, with very few exceptions. And 2011 is not 2013 either - since then numbers have gone down significantly. Born This Way sold 5.4 million but Lady Gaga's latest hardly sold 1 million (and only 500K in the US). Same with Bublé's latest etc.

You can dream up big numbers for the next MJ album but I feel you are setting the bar too high for it which could lead to disappointment. You have to accept that MJ is not a current artist. Sometimes a posthumus product can be a big hit but it's more the exception than the rule. I'd be happy if it happened with the next MJ album, but it's not gloom and doom if it doesn't because I accept the realities of posthumus releases: usually they are not hits and MJ is only dead for 5 years and in these 5 years the market was saturated with MJ products, so it's not like there was time to build some kind of anticipation for new MJ products.

MJ is also highly praised but faces far more ongoing controversy and criticism than Elvis and The Beatles that DOES do real damage to his reputation,legacy and commercial prospects. If you walk down the street and ask one hundred people about all 3 artists, I guarantee MJ will draw less praise and more criticsm. He will appear to be the least popular artists by far because of all those troubles. He has a distinct disadvantage.

I agree that the controversy, things like the allegations etc. has done and continue to do great harm to Michael's legacy and that's a major disadvantage for him. But that has nothing to do with the music. Those who think he was a child molesting freak will continue to think so no matter how great the next MJ release is. Those who refuse to buy his music because they think he molested children will continue to refuse to buy it no matter how great the next release is.

BTW, I'm not sure at all MJ would be the least popular of those three artists at all. The Beatles probably would be most popular, but at this point I don't think Elvis is more popular than MJ. I rarely hear people say "I like Elvis" but I do hear people say "I like MJ" (I mean among those who are not hard core fans). The Cirque show that was built around Elvis' music just closed down because it did not attract audiences. In Las Vegas of all places, which is an iconic place for Elvis. We also just had the news about how the marketing rights for Elvis are up for sale (and the MJ Estate was mentioned as one of the potential buyers) because it wasn't profitable for the current owner. I think the Elvis brand isn't as strong as it used to be. MJ's music is constantly charting all over the world. It just made me smile yesterday because I don't know what the heck happened in Uganda, but this is how their current singles chart looks like:

UGANDA

# 1 Stranger In Moscow
# 2 Morphine
# 3 Little Susie
# 4 They Don't Care About Us
# 5 Who Is It
# 6 Why You Wanna Trip On Me
# 7 Will You Be There
# 8 Give In To Me
# 9 Jam
# 10 Smooth Criminal
# 11 Dirty Diana
# 12 The Girl Is Mine
# 13 Burn This Disco Out
# 14 I can't Help It
# 15 She's Out Of My Life
# 16 Girlfriend
# 18 Man In The Mirrior
# 19 Human Nature
# 21 The Way You Make Me Feel
# 86 Thriller
# 89 Thriller
# 152 Farewell My Summer Love
# 361 The Lady In My Life

Uganda is not a significant record buying country but it's so cool so I had to bring it up. LOL. And most of those songs are from HIStory and Dangerous, not even Thriller. On more global terms these are also current numbers:

Global iTunes Ranking

#23 Michael Jackson

Album: Number Ones Compilation Top 10

#1 Japan
#1 Bahrain
#2 Kazakhstan
#3 Labanon
#3 Sri Lanka
#4 Czech Republic
#4 Indonesia
#4 Spain
#5 Azerbaijan
#5 Kenya
#5 Mongolia
#5 United Arab Emirates
#6 Bermuda
#6 Belarus
#7 Nicaragua
#7 Ukraine
# 10 Nigeria
# 10 New Zealand

And MJ stuff is constantly on the charts everywhere. So I don't think it's warranted to say that if the next MJ product is not a massive success than MJ's legacy doomed for the future. How is he doomed when he's a constant seller as we speak? Just maybe the general public isn't that interested in formerly unreleased material /demos etc. as the hardcore fan base is (which is natural), but they seem to be pretty much interested in the stuff he released when he was alive.

It's completely natural that all artists have more and less popular eras.

Yes, it would be nice to see a successful MJ product on the shelves, but whether that will or will not happen doesn't affect MJ's overall legacy big time like you seem to think. Lots of current artists are influenced by MJ and they constantly pay tribute to him etc, so I really don't understand your pessimism. It's not an album of formerly unreleased material which will determine MJ's long term prospects. It's not that I'd not love to see it successful - and commercial success is certainly important for the Estate/Sony - but I disagree that it's some kind of "make or break" for MJ's legacy.

Last edited:

Really informative post, thanks. But what about singles? Particularly with John and Freddie there were a few top 10 singles, even number ones, in the short space following their deaths weren't there?

For Bob I can remember Iron Lion Zion being a top 10 hit in the UK but that was around 1992/1993 so a fair while after his passing.

In the US none of Freddie's posthumus singles charted. In Europe yes. Barcelona in 1992 was a UK #2, but it cannot really be considered a posthumus single, it was just a re-release of a song that was already a Top 10 song in 1987. Living on My Own was his biggest posthumus hit - it went Nr 1 in the UK and several other European countries in 1993. But, again, it's a re-release, not a previously unreleased song. In 1985 the song peaked at Nr 50 on the UK charts. In 1993 it was re-mixed to a dance/eurodance sound, which was a popular sound in Europe at the time, and that's how it achieved Nr 1.

In the immediate wake of Lennon's death he scored a US Nr 1. - (Just Like) Starting Over. The song was released before his death but it went Nr 1 after his death. It was also Nr 1 in the UK and in other countries. The next single from the Double Fantasy album, Woman, went #2 in the US and #1 in the UK. But these were hits in the immediate wake of his death and he hasn't really scored a big posthumus hit since. Maybe Nobody Told Me in 1984 which was a Top 10 hit in 1984 - as the lead single of his posthumus album Milk and Honey. And a re-issue of Imagine went #3 in 1999. That's all, but most of his posthumus singles weren't hits.

I believe that if MJ doesn't have a big success, the chances of future success are diminished. That won't stop me hoping for success on the next project, or the one after that, but I don't foresee a massive resurgence in MJ sales in 10 to 15 years time like for Beatles and Elvis.

Honestly, I completely disagree with you on that. I can't really explain my reasons why, but I think we'll soon (aka end of this decade, early next decade) enter a 'quiet period' of MJ projects and then suddenly in a decade or two, an MJ project will come out that will perform amazingly well. Maybe it'll be a remix of a classic song that tops the charts, maybe it'll be a new compilation album that forces the world to remember the magic, that is, Michael Jackson!

It happened with Elvis and more notably the Beatles, why would MJ be any different? Just like respect77 has pointed out, all three artists entered a phase immediately after their death where anything associated with them was an instant hit. For the next few years after that, things were a lot quieter. The 1980s was not a successful period for neither The Beatles nor Elvis, their fans probably had the same attitude you have right now.

Then suddenly, decades on from their split/death, they both experience a huge boom. Enter the 1990s and the Anthology series is a huge hit for The Beatles, ~25+ on from their split. Enter the early 2000s and The Beatles '1' compilation sells 30,000,000+ copies, A remix of Elvis' 'A Little Less Conversation' remix hits #1 on 9 charts worldwide and propels a newly released compilation's sales into the millions.

Based on the trends for both these artists, why would it be any different for MJ?

Historic and Respect, thanks for your thoughtful replies. Yes, I am being pessimistic and I hope you're correct.
I'm particularly surprised by the Ugandan singles chart. Seeing MJ dominating that chart seems unbelievable and I have no idea why that would happen. How do you know the chart is real?

I had the weirdest dream last night that I was reading the announcement of the new Michael Jackson Album. I was so excited that I couldn't keep still. I wanted everyone to read it and know about it. It was well written and it seemed like they were really trying to win fans back, gain new fans and cater to hardcore fans. In the press release they also stated that they will be streaming the new single for 3 days then it will be available for purchase via hard copy and through iTunes, Amazon etc etc. I'm really excited about this project now. Just trying to make sure my expectations and dreams don't make me feel disappointed when the final product comes out.

Last edited:

Historic and Respect, thanks for your thoughtful replies. Yes, I am being pessimistic and I hope you're correct.
I'm particularly surprised by the Ugandan singles chart. Seeing MJ dominating that chart seems unbelievable and I have no idea why that would happen. How do you know the chart is real?

There's a thread on LSA where they constantly track charts for MJ: http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=297587&page=75

The data the person posts come from websites and forums where people are specialized in chart tracking (not MJ fan forums, but general music forums). She did not give a source for this particular Ugandan chart, but I'm sure she did not make it up. Maybe they showed a documentary in Uganda or something.

No one sells at least 10 million copies nowadays because of the piracy created on Internet to begin with, do they? There wasn't such a thing even in the 90's.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3948821 said:
No one sells at least 10 million copies nowadays because of the piracy created on Internet to begin with, do they? There wasn't such a thing even in the 90's.

Sometimes there are still big sellers - see Adele's 21 - but that too was 2 years ago and even since then general sales numbers have gone down. The top 10 best selling album of 2013 in the US:

1. Justin Timberlake - "20/20 Experience" (2,427,000)
2. Eminem - "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" (1,727,000)
3. Luke Bryan - "Crash My Party" (1,521,000)..
4. Imagine Dragons - "Night Visions" (1,402,000).
5. Bruno Mars - "Unorthodox Jukebox" (1,399,000).
6. Florida Georgia Line - "Here's To The Good Times" (1,350,000).
7. Drake - "Nothing Was The Same" (1,344,000)
8. Beyonce - "Beyonce" (1,301,000)
9. Blake Shelton - "Based On A True Story…" (1,109,000).
10, Jay Z - "Magna Carta…Holy Grail" (1,099,000)

Those numbers are pathetic, to be honest. The music industry is really struggling nowadays.

Those numbers are pathetic, to be honest. The music industry is really struggling nowadays.

Music industry needs:
A one-man rescue team for the music business. A songwriter who sets the beat for a decade. A dancer with the fanciest feet on the street. A singer who cuts across all boundaries of taste and style and colour too.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3948821 said:

Music and video piracy DID exist on the internet in the 90s, it just wasn’t as widespread.
BUT the global spread of the internet did not invent piracy. It is not a problem related to the internet as such. Long before anybody I knew had the internet people were copying Betamax and VHS tapes of films in the cinema. I specifically remember watching pirate copies of the Mario Bros film and first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film on VHS in the early 90s.
Also, I know first hand that people copied albums onto cassette in the 80s and fully expect it was happening much earlier. No, piracy is nothing new, although the internet does seem to have made the issue worse.

I used to have copied cassettes in my childhood years but then I decided it was better to have the original albums. I bet many people did the same thing; however Internet became even more widespread than having album pirate copies. In the 20th century was a crime to even posses a copy of western music in some Islamic countries and despite that kind of paracy in the 90's, Dangerous and HIStory sold more than 20 million copies each. Michael created an unbeatable monster he can't surpass himself.

As far as sales are concerned we have to always put into retrospect of what music sells across the board now.. Music does NOT sell anywhere near what it supposed to but there has been some good selling albums in the last 5 years still. (good compared to the overall average of the last decade)

In the last 10 years 2 albums sold over 20 million... Which is a farrrrr lower # than in the 90's!! but it has been done Adeles album released in 2011 sold tremendously considering the music era we are in.. Selling over 20 million, almost reaching 30 million is incredible for todays standards... I could only imagine what it would have sold if it had that type of % level success with a release in the 90s..

pre Adele sales I would have thought we'd never see an album sell into the 20 million mark again..

Now music sales have gone down yearly on a continues incline.. in 2013 albums sold 6.1% less than 2012...

It is very possible for a Michael Jackson album to sell a 5 million mark though!! that's very reasonable and likely.. as I said before 'Michael' sold 3 million with boycotts, little promotion in the U.S. at least, and not really songs that are very radio friendly for todays ear... You put in a track or 2 on an album that sounds like it was recorded today it's a done deal.. Michaels albums are promised sales because of his fan base alone..

I am not saying the album WILL reach that amount, but considering what I said above it is possible.. With the success of ONE and other MJ ventures we can clearly see there is still a strong demand for Michael Jackson..

Also a part of the reason why Adeles music sold MUCH higher than average (aside from quality of the music) her music audience crossed gaps that a lot of artists now days don't.. I've read (and makes total sense to me) that a large majority of people the pirate music are under the age of 30.. You cross an age gap above that your sales are going up.. I am not saying there are not people in there 40's,50's,60's that don't pirate, but percentages go down largely. Her album reached age groups that are not commonly reached with popular music the way hers was..

Who else does that?? Michael!! Michael has fans in older age groups which will ensure safe sales, that's why even though he has tons of 'Best Of' albums they keep selling each time they are released.. Now you put that along with a song like Slave To The Rhythm on that album and release as a single...

I would put money on it reaching at least 3 million, and very possibly reaching 5.. The only reason I would even say 3 and not higher is because if sales average has gone down over about 5% or so each year since 'Michael' release, that would steal some sales away but the music and no boycotting would make up for that making it match sales.. BUT, I can see it hit 5..

Re: the importance of the commercial success of the next album

I think the next album’s success will affect how much money Sony is willing to spend on the next projects. It’s unrealistic to expect them to spend tons of money on great producers, album promo etc. if they don’t get a return for their investment. And I think it’s absolutely true that for an album to be commercially successful it needs to appeal to casual listeners, not just the existing hardcore fanbase. Bad25 was a great product but it wasn’t as successful as it deserved to be because it mostly appealed to hardcore fans only.

However, I don’t think the next album’s success will matter all that much for Michael’s legacy in the long run. His legacy has survived worse things than an underperforming posthumous album. And like respect77 points out, posthumous releases from other iconic/legendary artists haven’t always been hugely successful either, and it hasn’t hurt the artist’s legendary status at all. Michael’s older stuff is still selling well - there are three MJ albums on Billboard 200 this week, and the US isn’t Michael’s strongest market at all. The Number1s album is doing well on iTunes worldwide (right now it’s in the top 20 in 34 countries and #1 in Japan), and of course the Immortal show has been an incredible success. Getting new fans is crucial for any artist, but it could as well be shows like Immortal or One that attract new fans, not just new posthumous releases.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I really want this next album to sell well, but if it doesn’t I don’t think it means that no new MJ release will ever be successful again. If now isn’t the right time for a new MJ release to do well, who knows how things will be in the next 10 or 20 years? Also, when I say I want it to sell well I mean sell well for a posthumous release. I think if we expect the album to be as successful as the hugely successful (for today’s standard) albums from currently hot artists who are out there making videos, releasing singles and promoting their music, we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.

KOPV;3948854 said:
It is very possible for a Michael Jackson album to sell a 5 million mark though!! that's very reasonable and likely.. as I said before 'Michael' sold 3 million with boycotts, little promotion in the U.S. at least, and not really songs that are very radio friendly for todays ear... You put in a track or 2 on an album that sounds like it was recorded today it's a done deal.. Michaels albums are promised sales because of his fan base alone..
I am not saying the album WILL reach that amount, but considering what I said above it is possible.. With the success of ONE and other MJ ventures we can clearly see there is still a strong demand for Michael Jackson..
I don’t know, I honestly don’t think 5 million is reachable. 5 million is almost as much as the best selling albums from the most popular artists sell these days, and I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a posthumous release to sell that well. I know it’s Michael Jackson, but still.

The thing with the Michael album boycott is that it’s impossible to say how much it actually affected the sales. I feel like it’s easy for us to overestimate the effect it had. When browsing MJ forums it looks like the majority of people boycotted it - but it’s natural to get that impression because of course the people talking about it are the people who feel very strongly about it. But they’re still only a handful of people on an internet discussion forum, and their opinion doesn’t reflect the majority of the record-buying public. Casual listeners might not even know or care about the controversy. And the Michael album sold way more than Bad25, even though fans obviously much prefer Bad25, so I don’t think diehard fans have that much of an effect on album sales.

The Michael album also benefitted from being the first posthumous new album. The next release won’t have the same hype. It’s impossible to predict the sales yet because we don’t know what songs will be on the album and if radio is going to play the new single, but right now I’m not expecting the next release to sell more than Michael. But I hope it sells nicely enough, so that Sony is willing to spend money on good quality projects in the future.

I'm just so excited for this I can't wait for that announcement and just to read the track list (If it comes out prior)! Damn I hope there's a couple of higher deluxe versions then the standard commercial release with extra songs so 2014 can be a year of so much unreleased MJ. HURRY UP MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER PLEASE JUST SAY SOMETHING I CAN'T STAND MUSIC OF THIS DAY & AGE.

I have a slight feeling that there will be something announced in late February! and the release date may be mid to late June, it just seems likely to me that this will be the case! don't hold me to anything but this is what I'm predicting right now.

Well if plans still stand for the album to come out in spring then there should be an announcement very soon should there not?

Well if plans still stand for the album to come out in spring then there should be an announcement very soon should there not?

we can never really know, i just hope they make better choices with this release. they include 11-12 song's, they advertise it extensively & hopefully the last photoshoots is also happening too

Jeez, can't they just let out a word or two soon? It's getting ridiculous

Jeez, can't they just let out a word or two soon? It's getting ridiculous
I agree considering they let Michael Prince and Timbaland drop some hints.

I can't wait to hear Chicago. I hope it isn't foo simillar to al Capone

respect77;3948824 said:
Sometimes there are still big sellers - see Adele's 21 - but that too was 2 years ago and even since then general sales numbers have gone down. The top 10 best selling album of 2013 in the US:

1. Justin Timberlake - "20/20 Experience" (2,427,000)
2. Eminem - "The Marshall Mathers LP 2" (1,727,000)
3. Luke Bryan - "Crash My Party" (1,521,000)..
4. Imagine Dragons - "Night Visions" (1,402,000).
5. Bruno Mars - "Unorthodox Jukebox" (1,399,000).
6. Florida Georgia Line - "Here's To The Good Times" (1,350,000).
7. Drake - "Nothing Was The Same" (1,344,000)
8. Beyonce - "Beyonce" (1,301,000)
9. Blake Shelton - "Based On A True Story…" (1,109,000).
10, Jay Z - "Magna Carta…Holy Grail" (1,099,000)

no wonder when there is such bullshit of music out there today. i dont listen the music from today anymore. i can not listen to such a bad quality of music. we have here in austria radio channels that play all that bullshit.
and there is one single radio channel that plays ONLY the really good music from the 60-80s&early 90s. and that is enough for me. i only listen that one.
noone need that b-stars from today. thats only a waste of time. thats only a moneymachine and manipulated charts, and nothing else. music from today is only absurd. and i would not describe that as real music anymore.

Back