Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Per the Sony contract, we're only at 5 projects.

1. This Is It - CD soundtrack
2. Vision - Box set
3. Michael - Studio album
4. Immortal - Remix album
5. Bad 25 - Box set

* The Bad 25 documentary may or may not be counted as a separate project. It all depends on if the estate decides to drop two projects in one year, as they did with Vision and Michael.

* The Experience exists on an entirely separate contract between Ubisoft, Sony and the estate. It was originally going to count as one of the projects, but they decided against it in the end.

* The two box sets released (Indispensable + Ultimate Fan) aren't counted towards the project. They were just small treats used to tide the community over as the long awaited studio album wouldn't be done by the end of the year as they had originally anticipated.

Bad25 is ONE project (including the different editions of the album, the wembley concert, the documentary & all accompanying merchandise).

It's the same as with 'This Is It': Movie, Album, DVD/BluRay
All ONE project, though even released in different years.

That's why it's called "projects" not albums.

Also Cirque Du Soleil: One project, consisting of Immortal Show, Immortal Sountrack, The One Show

Indispensable + Ultimate Fan Collection is clearly a project to me (though viewed as a little one by fans). Somebody in charge surely checked the box: Release MJ's complete back catalog to the biggest digital music store (iTunes)

Regarding 'The Experience': Never heard of a completely separate contract between sony-estate-ubisoft.
Instead read in the press release regarding the contract between estate & sony: Release of video games.

All my opinion of course. Though i think my points are valid & my speculation more on point.

@Qbee:
How do you get to 7 projects already released?

Bad25 is ONE project (including the different editions of the album, the wembley concert, the documentary & all accompanying merchandise).

Also Cirque Du Soleil: One project, consisting of Immortal Show, Immortal Sountrack, The One Show

Indispensable + Ultimate Fan Collection is clearly a project to me (though viewed as a little one by fans). Somebody in charge surely checked the box: Release MJ's complete back catalog to the biggest digital music store (iTunes)

Regarding 'The Experience': Never heard of a completely separate contract between sony-estate-ubisoft.
Instead read in the press release regarding the contract between estate & sony: Release of video games.

All my opinion of course. Though i think my points are valid & my speculation more on point.

@Qbee:
How do you get to 7 projects already released?

I'm not entirely positive but fairly certain the contract with Sony was redone prior to the release of Bad25. I don't believe the details were released. The contract is irrelevant anyways. They will keep extending it until all MJ things are released.

On another note it's time for us to start looking forward to the release of a new album. This project will be the best we have had since TII or Invinceable for that matter.

Instead read in the press release regarding the contract between estate & sony: Release of video games

For the record, as per the contract (as I've been told), the only time a release is considered a "project" is when Sony Records releases it themselves. Which is why This Is It/Michael/Immortal/Vision/Bad 25 are all listed as true projects.

- Bad 25 is one project, yes. But the estate has five years left of the contract + five more projects remaining, and they didn't release an independent project this year. So they either have two choices: count the Indispensable/Ultimate Fan Collections as a project, or count the release of the Bad 25 DVD as a separate project. Otherwise, they would have to shoehorn two projects in one year, which usually leads to oversaturation of the market.

- The This Is It film was put together through a contract with Universal Pictures and the Estate in August 2009, seven months before the Sony contract would be signed. Sony Records wasn't even directly involved with the film, only its soundtrack, which is why only that is spoken of in the contract.

- A similar case is with Cirque -- the Estate and Cirque agreed on a separate contract to make Immortal and The One, while Sony was brought in to release the soundtrack. Sony is a record label, and therefore doesn't have much involvement in matters like this. Same goes for the Cirque shows for Elvis and The Beatles -- the labels weren't involved with the shows, but rather with the release of the soundtracks.

- With Indispensable/Ultimate Fan collection, like I said, the Estate only dropped that to tide fans over because the album wouldn't be finished come years end. Why do you think it was announced literally two days before its release with no promotion whatsoever? Every project has had some type of promotion in some regards, no matter how half-assed it was.

- The Experience was a separate contract between the Estate and Ubisoft; it just wasn't announced. John Branca and John McClain had put out the chance at making a Michael Jackson video game to several publishers, and Ubisoft won in the end.

- With Indispensable/Ultimate Fan collection, like I said, the Estate only dropped that to tide fans over because the album wouldn't be finished come years end. Why do you think it was announced literally two days before its release with no promotion whatsoever? Every project has had some type of promotion in some regards, no matter how half-assed it was.

You actually think the Indispensable Collection was for the fans? Maybe you could argue that The Ultimate Fan Collection was, despite the fact it consisted of already widely available material (Michael album + Immortal), with some random remixes, a few instrumentals and the odd rarer track (i.e. Shout). The Indispensable Collection is most definitely not for fans as we'd already have those albums too. It's for people who are really starting to get into MJ and are looking into getting more of his albums. Hell $80 for all 8 albums? That's not too bad of a price for all of his work.

I think the idea was mainly to bring consistency for Michael's material on the biggest music store in the world. Before the update, I would often see multiple copies of the same album sometimes, odd prices (I saw a young MJ album for the price of a single song, it stayed that way for months). They also had all his songs 'Mastered for iTunes' which many artists are doing to their catalogues now. Some artworks had their quality and resolution improved as well (Thriller, Bad, BOTDF come to mind. Can't remember if there are any others).

There was some decent promotion actually. iTunes sent out an email to those on it's emailing list that was completely dedicated to the Indispensable Collection, there was also a banner at the top of the home page for it (I think the US iTunes Store featured it elsewhere on the homepage too). It's not exactly meant to be a significant project, nor one that you'd expect to generate many sales. Taking that into consideration, the amount of promotion it had was fine. I'm normally against the Estate doing compilations of his material, but I'm happy they did this for the iTunes Store. If you want all his music, it's just a click away. It's great for those who are getting into MJ and want his catalogue! ^_^

Last edited:

Please Note: MJJC does not recognise any member posting in this thread or elsewhere on this board as a reliable source for inside information. There has been no reliable source named or given to us by anyone to be able to make that claim that on this board. So consider all posts as opinion, speculation and hearsay unless a reliable source for that info is posted to validate the claim. We also ask that members refrain from making such claims or statements, inferring you have inside information on this board, unless you clear that with admin or owner first by providing them with your reliable source for such information.

^^
Huh? Where did that come from?

You know as well as a I do that there have been posters with proven inside information in the past and at least one of those guys still posts here from time to time (I don't think I need to name that poster because many people here will already know who it is).

Last edited:

By bringing up this letter you are proving my point. Here we have a letter that Michael wrote to his sister-in-law, Dee Dee about an article he had read about child molestation and how even uncles and aunts can be molesters. It shows where Michael's heart was regarding child molestation - that he found it unacceptable and he was upset by it. Yet, the media and the prosecution tried to twist it into something different by reading things into it which simply weren't there. They tried to suggest Michael consciously or sub-consciously was referring to himself even though it doesn't even make sense.

My point is, if the media could try and twist this letter into the total opposite of what it was about or if they could try to twist TDCAU into an "anti-semitic" song then we cannot be naive to think they won't try that with a song like DYKWYCA. I'm not saying don't release it, all I'm saying we have to be prepared for some crap by some of the media if they do. Especially with Wade's case going on.

All I'm personally against is compromises - ie. changing the lyrics like in Hollywood Tonight. Either release it as Michael intended it and say "screw the ignorant, manipulative crap by the media" that could follow or if you are not ready for that then do not release it at all. But I don't want them to mess with Michael's vision.

The point of talking about the letter was that there's been much more controversial things said, noted, and sang by Michael than the lyrics in DYKWYCA.. So the song should not and would not be a big deal. Even if some comment about it, it's not going to do any real damage.

That's it!!

You actually think the Indispensable Collection was for the fans? Maybe you could argue that The Ultimate Fan Collection was, despite the fact it consisted of already widely available material (Michael album + Immortal), with some random remixes, a few instrumentals and the odd rarer track (i.e. Shout). The Indispensable Collection is most definitely not for fans as we'd already have those albums too. It's for people who are really starting to get into MJ and are looking into getting more of his albums. Hell $80 for all 8 albums? That's not too bad of a price for all of his work.

I think the idea was mainly to bring consistency for Michael's material on the biggest music store in the world. Before the update, I would often see multiple copies of the same album sometimes, odd prices (I saw a young MJ album for the price of a single song, it stayed that way for months). They also had all his songs 'Mastered for iTunes' which many artists are doing to their catalogues now. Some artworks had their quality and resolution improved as well (Thriller, Bad, BOTDF come to mind. Can't remember if there are any others).

There was some decent promotion actually. iTunes sent out an email to those on it's emailing list that was completely dedicated to the Indispensable Collection, there was also a banner at the top of the home page for it (I think the US iTunes Store featured it elsewhere on the homepage too). It's not exactly meant to be a significant project, nor one that you'd expect to generate many sales. Taking that into consideration, the amount of promotion it had was fine. I'm normally against the Estate doing compilations of his material, but I'm happy they did this for the iTunes Store. If you want all his music, it's just a click away. It's great for those who are getting into MJ and want his catalogue! ^_^

Very true, very true! I considered it for "fans" because they released a number of rare tracks for the first time in iTunes quality. Of course one could find them anywhere but songs like the full version of Carousel don't exist in such quality. The Ultimate Fan Collection definitely was for the fans, as we've said, but the Indispensable Collection was for the newcomers, shall we say. Sorry, half the time I share the same opinion as many of the people here, but I always express it wrong through my posts :p

As far as promotion, even by Sony's standards, it was pretty underappreciated. Like you said, there was an email sent out and a banner on the iTunes home page. But still, if they were going to consider this a project, I would imagine they would have done a little bit more. Let's not forget that compilations like The Beatles' Anthology was mostly made up of alternate takes of already-released songs (not counting the occasional new track like Free as a Bird) and those were a hit. Besides, even with the moderate "promotion," this dropped like a rock even faster than all the other projects have.

Let's not forget that compilations like The Beatles' Anthology was mostly made up of alternate takes of already-released songs (not counting the occasional new track like Free as a Bird) and those were a hit. Besides, even with the moderate "promotion," this dropped like a rock even faster than all the other projects have.

It took the Beatles to score that hit 15 years after Lennon's death though. Michael's death was only 5 years ago and within this time there were a lot of releases, there was no time to build an anticipation for his works and we have just had the post-death surge of his sales not long ago. MJ's situation now and the Beatles' in 1995-96 is not really comparable.

I predict some sort of announcement between now and four weeks..

I predict that some time between now and the future we will hear something.... :fortuneteller:

Anyone with me? I think I am right!!

I predict that some time between now and the future we will hear something.... :fortuneteller:

Anyone with me? I think I am right!!

Feel_like_a_sir.jpg

Why yes. I do believe you are correct

I think announcement of the first single, name of the album and date of release will be in February. Then first single (Chicago) released in April, also tracklist and cover of the album. And then album released in May.

I don't think we can predict anything right now! I do agree with KOPV though :p I think they are putting a lot of work into this, the amount of time that's been spent on it & the rumours from freeze about us getting Demo's & new mixes! i'm sure it'll be near the quality of Invincible possibly! if Bruce Swedien, MD Prince & Bradley Buxer Master & Engineer it.

I think we will almost definately hear something this month (news), and certainly an announcement either this month or next.

I think we will almost definately hear something this month (news), and certainly an announcement either this month or next.

they have not tweeted since December 20th.. think there's something on the way possibly? was there a silence from them before they announced BAD25?

^^ Sometimes there are silences from the Twitter page. The Facebook page is still going strong -- I remember seeing something today matter of fact.

Also, I don't think there was a silence before B25. I feel like they just kinda dropped the teaser website link out of nowhere hoenstly haha

^^ Sometimes there are silences from the Twitter page. The Facebook page is still going strong -- I remember seeing something today matter of fact.

Also, I don't think there was a silence before B25. I feel like they just kinda dropped the teaser website link out of nowhere hoenstly haha

haha true :p i guess we'll know whether or not we're getting a new album this year when spring comes around, i hope it doesn't turn out that Dr. Freeze was speaking bs. that'll be kinda annoying if he was, but i shall not begin to think negative, i guess something will come in due time. let's hope these last 3 years.. they give us something memorable.

^ Is there a way for those who don't have a twitter acct to watch this vid>?

haha true :p i guess we'll know whether or not we're getting a new album this year when spring comes around, i hope it doesn't turn out that Dr. Freeze was speaking bs. that'll be kinda annoying if he was, but i shall not begin to think negative, i guess something will come in due time. let's hope these last 3 years.. they give us something memorable.

I don't think he would honestly. Dr. Freeze hasn't done anything yet to make us question him, so I'll take his word for now. I do think it was a mistake telling us the planned release though -- I mean, what if the estate suddenly decides to push it to the summer? People will call him a liar.

^ Is there a way for those who don't have a twitter acct to watch this vid>?

i'll upload to imageshack now

i'll upload to imageshack now

Thanks.

I wonder if MJ ever made a song called Dreams Do Come True - the way it is written in the tweet with capital start letters seems like it could be a song title!

Never Stop Believing too. :lol:

Maybe I'm just so desperat for news I overanalyzing everything.

Hope for new music soon!!!

Thanks to Zakk

ser9.jpg

Thanks.

I wonder if MJ ever made a song called Dreams Do Come True - the way it is written in the tweet with capital start letters seems like it could be a song title!

would be very interesting huh, can't wait to see what these thing's will be when all is revealed, 2 disc album? film? studio footage? the possibilities are endless, but i'm so damn excited right now :woohoo:

I dare everyone to enjoy the wait.. The wait can be exciting, our minds fill with anticipation, mystery, wonderment of everything the album could be.. Enjoy that process, we don't know when the next full MJ album will come out after this one, so enjoy the process..

Back