Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

The new version is blaring on repeat in my bedroom. So great. It honestly feels more... otherwordly, shall we say, than the original.

ok let's do a thing guys let's pretend we never heard leaks and things and boom we have this version today will you still trash it ???

And that's the issue right there, leaked songs are now gonna ultimately have that compare and contrast thing going on with some fans.

I just heard the 30sec snippet of APWNN....I like it. Def sounds like TWYMMF though. But, even though I will not hear the whole song til I get my CD, from the little I did hear...I think the demo sounds better. =/

And that's the issue right there, leaked songs are now gonna ultimately have that compare and contrast thing going on with some fans.

Well people who rely on comparison don't live longer lol

It totally killed off all the "magic" from MJ's original to me. Just because something sounds modern it does not mean it's superior. I think the song had single potential, but with this new mix I don't think so any more. A pity a great song is wasted.

this sentence has a meaning now :)

screen-shot-2014-04-23-at-2-41-12-pm.png

It already had a meaning since This Is It.

darkmed;3998437 said:
ok let's do a thing guys let's pretend we never heard leaks and things and boom we have this version today will you still trash it ???

For me, yes. I can understand Michael recorded this however; I do not believe everything he recorded, he would have released. I believe he would have been panned for this regardless of whatever mix he used. He had too many songs he wrote that I believe would have been released before a cover of another song.

With that being said, I can see why Bunnell did not recognize it.

It is a weird combination that will take some time to grow on me if at all. I am a fan of Timbaland not truly of Stargate so I believe I understood Timbaland’s actions immediately where this production I have spent all of my time attempting to understand it instead of simply enjoying it and that is an issue for me.

If Michael released this song with this mix, the loudest complaint would be that Michael was recycling his own hits, TWYMMF/LMA and borrowing another, AHWNN.

I am not sure if this is experimentation for Stargate or safe fare however; I do feel like I am hearing three different songs in one. I obviously hear TWYMMF and LMA but, eventually, I hear AHWNN and it ultimately dominates the mix because that is the melody Michael’s vocals are following!

With that said, I do appreciate Michael’s vocals being more prominent with this mix but, I do not appreciate the mix. I do believe Stargate may have had the second most difficult task (LNFSG being the first) with this song so I do give them credit for trying.

What radio formats would this version be appreciated most? It would be left with pop and I do not see how this would conform with other pop records; even the pop records Stargate made for others. Yes, it stands out but, not in a positive manner for me.

WOW. APWNN was very very different to how I expected it to be. But it's really original and fresh. I love how I felt so differently about this on first listen - I love the original so much but the instrumentation is very dated in a way most of his album tracks are not. Second listen - it's great!!

The vocals are everything!!

His VOICE!

I'm with you on certain points but mate your judgment is biased cause you heard the leak and you know that the vocal melody is based on that AHWNN sample.

for the recycling part i don't think it's a lack of creativity from STARGATE but we can see it as a tribute and a shout out to the songs they touched them or they appreciate.

It totally killed off all the "magic" from MJ's original to me. Just because something sounds modern it does not mean it's superior. I think the song had single potential, but with this new mix I don't think so any more. A pity a great song is wasted.

Wasted? Just listen to the demo version instead. Problem solved.

Tygger;3998461 said:
If Michael released this song with this mix, the loudest complaint would be that Michael was recycling his own hits, TWYMMF/LMA and borrowing another, AHWNN.

I am not sure if this is experimentation for Stargate or safe fare however; I do feel like I am hearing three different songs in one. I obviously hear TWYMMF and LMA but, eventually, I hear AHWNN and it ultimately dominates the mix because that is the melody Michael’s vocals are following!

With that said, I do appreciate Michael’s vocals being more prominent with this mix but, I do not appreciate the mix. I do believe Stargate may have had the second most difficult task (LNFSG being the first) with this song so I do give them credit for trying.

Definitely agree.

Wait till we get the original in a true CDQ and you will all know what does MJ being central and clear means :D (don 't forget that we got the original in a medium quality)

That new mix for me lacks the melody... I am glad that some are enjoying this new mix, but i am gonna skip it this time... *getting ready for STTR* :D

btw..i am still mad about the back-vocals....

Wasted? Just listen to the demo version instead. Problem solved.

Don't worry, I think I'm going to listen to the demo a lot more. But what I meant as a waste is that I don't think this is single material, while they could have made a remix that is, because the basic song is great.

This truly is single potential, more so than any of the other songs I've heard. The demo, however, isn't.

Don't worry, I think I'm going to listen to the demo a lot more. But what I meant as a waste is that I don't think this is single material, while they could have made a remix that is, because the basic song is great.

Yeah right they will release the Demo as a single so we can have that HT critics sayin' MJ lacked inspiration and used Billie jean Beat blablabla now we will hear OMG SONY needed AMERICA to savec MJ's Legacy cause he died leaving the Vault high and dry with just incomplete songs and inaudible gibberish

OK so we have the next single. The more you listen, the more awesome and alive Michael sounds...

LOOOOL,There is a "whooping cough" sound in the background music , anybody noticed it ?? :D

I'm with you on certain points but mate your judgment is biased cause you heard the leak and you know that the vocal melody is based on that AHWNN sample.

for the recycling part i don't think it's a lack of creativity from STARGATE but we can see it as a tribute and a shout out to the songs they touched them or they appreciate.

You may be speaking to another member but, may I respond?

Even without the leak, we would know Michael was covering AHWNN based on the lyrics. We cannot escape (Xscape) that. The song does not come with a disclaimer stating the similarity to TWYMMF/LMA is a tribute. The listener can make that assumption or not. I have no idea what they were thinking with the mix however; the fact that I am analyzing their actions instead of just enjoying the mix is an issue for me.

Can someone provide a minute snippet if available from the website

sorry people but i have to be honest : PLZ STOP judging what should be a single and potential and stuff if you were the oen to do so you wouldn't be here but in Epic Records HQ or SONY MUSIC HQ judge the music based on your taste you like it it's cool you don't it's cool too but stop acting like you have the right to inspect or know what best or not it's not your job we all are fans and customer and at the end of the day we judge a product period.

This truly is single potential, more so than any of the other songs I've heard. The demo, however, isn't.

The point of the new remixes is to make the songs hit material for modern radio, I guess. While this sounds modern, but I don't think it sounds that great. On contrary to what some people seem to think here, I don't think modern or unusual automatically means superior.
We will see, but I don't see it doing well as a song even on modern radio. The demo may not be modern, so for that reason may not be single potential, but at least it sounds good. It has the magic, dreamy quality of Michael. This does not. I'm not saying leaving the demo as it is would have been a hit on modern radio, but the song sure had a lot more potential, so I call this one a waste of opportunity, a waste of a good song.

The verses here have MUCH more power than the verses in the leak. The latter version is actually quite boring now that I've heard Stargate's take on it. Leave the original in the vault for all I care.

But then again, they can't all be winners.

The point of the new remixes is to make the songs hit material for modern radio, I guess. While this sounds modern, but I don't think it sounds that great. On contrary to what some people seem to think here, I don't think modern or unusual automatically means superior.
We will see, but I don't see it doing well as a song even on modern radio. The demo may not be modern, so for that reason may not be single potential, but at least it sounds good. It has the magic, dreamy quality of Michael. This does not. I'm not saying leaving the demo as it is would have been a hit on modern radio, but the song sure had a lot more potential, so I call this one a waste of opportunity, a waste of a good song.

Well of course, modern doesn't mean superior. But I can't imagine ever releasing the demo as a single. Listening to the Stargate version, it actually isn't immediately evident that it's a reimagining of A Place With No Name (at least for me). It's clear right out of the gate with the demo, and that's when people start calling foul play.

For me, this actually capture the otherwordly feeling that the lyrics display. The demo is actually quite standard (bar the chorus, which is outstanding). It's much more interesting, at the very least. I'll stick with Stargate.

But then again, like I said, you can't win 'em all.

Woah. It totally sounds different, as someone says "otherworldy." I like it. :D Very different feeling from the original!

Yeah right they will release the Demo as a single so we can have that HT critics sayin' MJ lacked inspiration and used Billie jean Beat blablabla now we will hear OMG SONY needed AMERICA to savec MJ's Legacy cause he died leaving the Vault high and dry with just incomplete songs and inaudible gibberish

Who said I want the demo to be releaseas as a single? Do not put words in my mouth!

Back