Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

WOW the album is incredible!! Michael must be so happy seeing us all crying, dancing, singing and smiling... And most of all, the L.O.V.E. that exists right now for Michael and between his fans. TURN UP the volume!! The new tracks get better all the time! :chillin: :woohoo:

1. Love:
- John: 9/10
- Timbo: 10/10
- Original: 7.5/10

2. Chicago:
Timbo: 10/10
Original: 6/10

3. Lovin' You
- Timbo: 9.5/10
- Original: 8.5/10

4. Place:
-Stargate: 8.5/10
-Original: 9.5/10

5. Slave:
-Timbo: 9/10
-Tricky: 10/10
-Original: 7.5/10

6. Do You Know:
-Timbo: 8/10
-Original: 8/10
-2010 Leaked: 10/10

7. Blue Gangster:
-Timbo: 8.5/10
-Original: 10/10

8. XSCAPE:
-Jerkins: 10/10
-Original: 10/10

I just listened to the full album Track 1 through 17.
Just wanna say: There is not one bad song on this great album, which is Xscape by Michael jackson.
There is not one failed job by any of the producers.

In some instances the OG is better for me & in some instances the new mix is better to me.
But all in all, this XSCAPE album is perfect TO ME.
Truly #TheBestIveNeverHeard

I wish for You all MJJC'ers, that you could enjoy this album, as much as i do & for what it truly is. A great collection of 8 songs, each interpreted in different, yet always in beautiful ways!

Thank You Michael Jackson
Thank You to the Estate of MJ (John&John)
Thank You to Timbaland
Thank You to Stargate
Thank You to Darkchild
Thank You to John Mc Lain & Giorgio Tuinfort
& Last not least Thank You to LA Reid

To the close minded: I can't understand you.
("Read the liner notes & take it by heart" is my only advice for you, for now)

Thank you so much for this. I'm ecstatic! Michael, it's so good to have you back!

What an album this is. Can't believe it but I honestly don't care much for the originals. They aren't that good for me at all, the RE works are amazing. Timbaland and co did an AMAZING job. Rodney Jerkins is a genius that dude produced the best song on that album. Xscape the song is absolutely insane.

I just saw the update on Michael Jackson's page. Wonder what's it gonna be!!

Oh and talking about Japanese popstars, even we have been having hologram performances before! Even Madonna performed as a hologram!! although she makes a physical appearance later ofcourse. And the virtual band Gorillaz always perform with their holograms live. Well because they are animated band members and don't have a choice. :D If the hologram thing is true then the experience should be something like this.

This is just an example ofcourse! xD

edit :- And not to forget tupac :D

By the way, is this Hologram confirmed or just a rumor? :busted:

And let's not forget, we're gonna have bundles of cool remixes of all these songs too! (or is that re-remixes?)

Michael On The Dance Floor!

I just could listen to the original STTR and I love way better than the remix. Blue Gangsta, there are parts where I prefer the original, there are others where I prefer the new version. I will listen both.

Without a doubt my least favorite new version is APWNN. I haven't listened to Chicago, Loving You, DYKWYCA (originals) yet.

This is what I think... Thnx octavio001331 for making the format :D

1. Love Never Felt So Good
- John McClain: 8/10
- Timbaland: 9.5/10
- Original: 9/10

2. Chicago
- Timbaland: 9/10
- Original: 6/10

3. Lovin' You
- Original: 7/10

4. A Place Without No Name
- Stargate: 7/10

5. Slave 2 The Rythmn
- Timbaland: 8.5/10
- Tricky Stewart: 6.5/10
- Original: 8/10

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
- Original: 7/10
- 2010 Leaked: 7.5/10

7. Blue Gangster
- Original:7.5/10

8. Xscape
- Rodney Jerkins: 10/10

I'm in love with every single song... some more than others but over all... This is one of the best albums to come out.

Listening to the full album now... it is an album that is meant to be played LOUD!!!! REALLY LOUD!!! :) sounds so much better :)

Before i write a review or anything...The mastering of the demos is sooo loud in annoying way, for real..But we are blessed to have them in HQ anyway...

To me the most EPIC makeover of a song goes to Timbo for "Loving You"... MILES AWAY BETTER THAN THE DEMO HE just Nailed it...

And for sure the 2010 of DYKWYCA IS THE BEST EVER...

I'm a bit disappointed in DYKWYCA's new production. The original is so much better, but the 2010 version is the best. This song had a lot more potential. Timbo messed up on this one IMO.

But oh well, it won't ruin my overall positive impression of the album.

ETA: Also I don't know why but the orignial version of DYKWYCA gives me a bit of Depeche Mode vibes. LOL.

Timbaland totally suprised me with his version of "children" it's almost amazing and those claps!

the work put into Xscape has been phonomenal, i can't fault anything they've done.. this time around. They've truly pulled off something so True to Michael's legacy.. plus the promotion has been fantastic. Thank you to all those who worked on this album. Here's a stream for ABC hd for the billboard awards on May 18th:

http://tvtoast.com/watch/?ch_id=1562514361#sthash.uID8qVGt.zUCcWHRw.dpbs

if anyone finds a hq stream with no watermark, that would be much appreciated.

1. Love Never Felt So Good
- John McClain: 10/10
- Timbaland: 10/10

2. Chicago
- Original: 6.5/10

3. Lovin' You

4. A Place With No Name
- Stargate: 7.5/10
- Original: 10/10

5. Slave To The Rythmn
- Tricky Stewart: 8.5/10
- Original: 10/10

6. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
- Timbaland: 5.5/10
- 2010 Leaked: 9.5/10

7. Blue Gangster
- 2010 Leaked: 9/10

8. Xscape
- Rodney Jerkins: 10/10

Before i write a review or anything...The mastering of the demos is sooo loud in annoying way, for real..But we are blessed to have them in HQ anyway...

To me the most EPIC makeover of a song goes to Timbo for "Loving You"... MILES AWAY BETTER THAN THE DEMO HE just Nailed it...

And for sure the 2010 of DYKWYCA IS THE BEST EVER...

No! Why is the mastering bad? Just because it is on CD doesnt mean better quality. Sounds like they use garbage mastering techniques again? Why they do to my Angel?

Last edited:

I'm a bit disappointed in DYKWYCA's new production. The original is so much better, but the 2010 version is the best. This song had a lot more potential.

Yeah, i agree. It's so sad. :(

It's easy to formulate a final opinion about the album ...

1. LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD

1983 Original Version - 8/10 (Love the simplicity & naivety of this track. Just MJ and a piano. Beautiful!.)

2014 John McClain Remix - 4/10 (Heard the first minute, an utter mess.)

2014 Timbaland Remix - 7/10 (A modern, groovy swanky spin that still somehow maintains the "essence" of the original. Would have been better without those cliche JT "Future/Sex" Ad-libs ["Dance" "Lemme See You Dance"]

2. CHICAGO

1999 Original Version - 6/10 [Sounds like something off Monica's / Brandy's 98 albums. Michael's vocals don't disappoint though. Vigorous and on point as usual.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 7/10 [Not Bad. Doesn't add much to the original though.]

3. LOVING YOU

1980's Original Version - 9/10 [Love it!. Sounds like a crossover between "Fly Away" & Randy's (Janet's) "One More Chance". It's sweet, breezy, melodic and simple. Definitely understand why it didn't make the BAD album though. Come to think about it, it sounds Pre-BAD, maybe something in the early stages, right after Victory. Before Michael even had a blueprint with Quincy for BAD.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [ A good song is a good song. All Tim does here is add a few stomps and some bass, i'm not sure since I only heard the first minute or so. But yea, stick to the original.]

4. A PLACE WITH NO NAME

1999 Original Version - 8/10 [Mike's own beautiful rendition to this American rock classic while still maintaining the essence of the original. That's how you cover songs people. Take notes. And the rawness, grittiness and passion in his vocals are a true highlight here.

2014 Stargate Remix - 3/10 [A joke. Seriously. Pass. Its not even worth talking about]

5. SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

1989 Original Version - 5/10 [The weakest outtake here. I understand why MJ decided to cut off Babyface and L.A Reid from the Dangerous project. Their production just lacked that "spark" & "velocity" that he was looking for in my opinion. This sounds like a pop version of Sade's "Smooth Operator" but on steroids, especially the chorus. Then again both were recorded in the 80's.

2014 Timbaland Remix - 3/10 [I swear the intro sounds similar to JT's "Amnesia" (which Tim also produced), anyway, this is too cluttered even for my modern taste with all its electronic bleeps & glitches. Wanna a decent contemporary version?, go check out Tricky Stewart's remix in 2010. Way more supreme.

6. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE

1980s Original Version - 7/10 [I actually prefer this one to the leaked 2010 version. Sounds a lot more genuine and authentic. It's a perfect fusion of Pop and somewhat, gospel. If the Andraé Crouch Choir had sang background vocals, it would have fitted perfectly on an album like HIStory or even Dangerous]

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [Not Bad, not great either. I admire Tim's effort on this one. The chorus slaps hard and the song actually picks up in the last quarter. Again, if you wanna a "contemporary" remix, the 2010 version will suffice]

7. BLUE GANGSTA

1999 Original Version - 8/10 [i don't know, something is off about this version, sounds so sluggish. It's like they drained all the energy and intensity out of it. Want my advice stick to the 2010 version, it ROCKS!!!. Mike sounds fierce, paranoid and sultry. Also, the 2010 version really brings out the lush harmonization, it'll give you chills.][2010 leaked version - 10/10]

2014 Timbaland Remix - 5/10 [Meh ... I don't think Tim really knew what to do with this one. Listen to the first minute, you'll get what I mean.]

8. XSCAPE

2000's Original Version - 9/10 [Again, sounds a bit different than the leaked version but but the clarity of the vocals are superior on this version. You can actually make out what he's saying. This song grew on me through the years. Love it now.

2014 Rodney Jerkins Remix - 6/10 [So Rodney remixed his own track and made a mess of it. This sounds lazy and inconsistent. Almost a fan made mix. There's actually horns at some points throughout the song which sound hilarious. However, I do like the synth work on the hook. That's vintage MJ there.

Final Thoughts ... Come on, lol ... Cop them originals off Itunes or Amazon. Re-Tag them and then add them to your collection of MJ unreleased /Demos /Outtakes.

Last edited:

iam sure and hoping, for Birchey doing some strong remixes, based on the demos.
(DYKWYCA, STTR especially)

Xscape (both the song and the album) are awesome! :D

Allow me to be the 1st one to give a backlash to Rodney for this new Xscape remix...He almost chopped off 1/3 of the demo !! The whole last min was cut !! the girl interlude was cut !! My fav parts were cut already !! Alos i kinda feel the horns doesn't fit a bit....I don't hate on that remix, it is listenable to me, but the original is waaays better IMO, ways uptempo giving you the feeling MJ is really escaping or running While this new version is a bit slower as if he is running while lifting a heavy object or running in slow motion.

Original Xscape: 10/10
Album version: 7/10

Why the hell did Darkchild copy-pasted, at the beginning of Xscape, his producer name spoken by Michael, from YRMW?!

I thought that was a nice touch, tbh. Having anyone else say it, or Jerkin's himself on a Michael album, it would be kind of weird.

For all the excitement building up this album has been quite the let down. Wtf have they done to these awesome songs? Blue gangsta and dykwyca are a disgrace and an embarrassment. I've preordered but it sounds like we are even getting crappy demos!

What regular person would buy this album and enjoy it? Sounds like it was made on midi files and videos games. Very very weird.

1. LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD
1983 Original Version - 5/10
2014 John McClain Remix - 9/10
2014 Timbaland/Justin Timberlake Remix - 8/10

2. CHICAGO
1999 Original Version - 6/10
2014 Timbaland Remix - 8/10

3. LOVING YOU
1980s Original Version - 3/10 (weird/damage sound)
2014 Timbaland Remix - 8/10

4. A PLACE WITH NO NAME
1999 Original Version - 9/10
2014 Stargate Remix - 6/10

5. SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM
1989 Original Version - 8/10
2010 Justin Bieber/Max Methods Remix - 4/10
2014 Timbaland Remix - 6/10

6. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE
1980s Original Version - 5/10
2010 J.McClain(?) Leak Version - 10/10
2014 Timbaland Remix - 4/10

7. BLUE GANGSTA
1999 Original Version - 8,5/10
2014 Timbaland Remix - 9/10
2010 Leaked Version - 9,5/10

8. XSCAPE
1999 Original Version - 8/10
2014 Rodney Jerkins Remix - 9/10

No 10/10 tracks on this release for me but MICHAEL had 2....BTM and HT :)

total dissapointment for me :-(

Playing the album now, I have to say, the original's are by far and away much better than the re-worked, apart from Loving You and Love Never Felt So Good. I just adore the originals of Chicago, DYKWYCA and Xscape, these are the highlights on the Deluxe version in my opinion.

No! Why is the mastering bad? Just because it is on CD doesnt mean better quality. Sounds like they use garbage mastering techniques again? Why they do to my Angel?

OMG the original version of STTR is incredible and could be a single! I love the little instrumental, has maybe an Egyptian/Middle Eastern vibe,

I just saw the update on Michael Jackson's page. Wonder what's it gonna be!!

Oh and talking about Japanese popstars, even we have been having hologram performances before! Even Madonna performed as a hologram!! although she makes a physical appearance later ofcourse. And the virtual band Gorillaz always perform with their holograms live. Well because they are animated band members and don't have a choice. :D If the hologram thing is true then the experience should be something like this.

This is just an example ofcourse! xD

edit :- And not to forget tupac :D

By the way, is this Hologram confirmed or just a rumor? :busted:

They made a hologram of Michael at this event

Back