Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

Ok, so after listeing number 27 (more or less :)), I do like some of these tracks better than at first. With Xscape I almost did a 180 degrees. I loved the demo so much (who are we kidding? the track was ready for release), and it was hard to think of a remake for such a great track, but the new version is actually pretty good.

Loving you - I'm liking more and more, because it's the most loyal to the demo. They didn't change it too much, and it's such a feel-good song.

I think I know what's missing for me more than anything else - I need that slow/ballad song. Every Michael Jackson album since the Jacksons right up to the Michael album had at least one slow track. She's Out Of My Life, Be Not Always, Lady In My Life, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Gone Too Soon, Childhood, Speechless, Much Too Soon, Heal The World, Smile, to name a few. There was always that break in between tracks that allows you to sit back and float, and this album doesn't have that. It's 36 minutes of pretty much dance hits. Nothing wrong with that for the tracks on their own, but as a complete package it can be fatiguing :).

Maybe that's why the new APWNN is one of my least favorites. The original almost-finished demo was an excellent candidate for a ballad/slow song that makes you want to close your eyes and drift away. They took it and made it a club hit. That's cool for a Single, not so much for the album version.

Other than that, I'm enjoying myself. I made myself a "Disc 3" in my iTunes library :). It contains DYNWYCA (2010), STTR (2010), STTR (leaked version I found online long ago, containing that intro at the start where they scan for a radio stations - love that one the most!), BG (Leaked version) and BG (The Fugees Remix). I'll probably replace APWNN (Demo) with APWNN (Remix) so that demo will play along with the other remixes, and that will be my "slow song".

What is also missing is a solid rock song:

Beat It, Dirty Diana, Give In To Me, D.S., Is It Scary, Privacy

But again we have to be happy with what we have.

As far as Xscape album is concerned, I consider Chicago (original) as a balad and APWNN (original) as a rock song.

Yes they did try and complete the tracks like if MJ had complete them. And what a disaster that was. So this time they got a legitimate producer to turn these work in progress songs and turn them into an album. And he did that

Agreed however, my point is not to discard the 2010 mixes of DYKWYCA and STTR. They could have appeared on Xscape and I truly wish they did as they are better than the 2014 mixes and are rather close to the originals.

I can't get over how strong and catchy the chorus is for A Place With No Name. In Stargates version you can really hear the emotion in his voice. Ain't gonna lie the reproduction is one of my favorites from the album, along with Xscape and lNFSG. I never would have imagined that :p

I can't understand that,maybe the producers wanted to distance themselves from anything updated for the Michael album.

Agreed however, my point is not to discard the 2010 mixes of DYKWYCA and STTR. They could have appeared on Xscape and I truly wish they did as they are better than the 2014 mixes and are rather close to the originals.

the 2010 mix of slave to the rhythm is by no means reminiscent of the original demo. I don't know where you got that from? the demo for slave to me just sounds like bass and drums, i do love the rawness of course.

I can't understand that,maybe the producers wanted to distance themselves from anything updated for the Michael album.

I understand why they did it. If I was L.A. Reid, I would have not discarded them. It is as if these songs will be the "Xscape" era so to speak so I do not see a purpose in revisiting STTR/DYKWYCA after this release. Thus, I would have kept them and placed them on a separate cd similar to the 2nd cd in the TII package.

the 2010 mix of slave to the rhythm is by no means reminiscing the original demo. I don't know where you got that from? the demo for slave to me just sounds like bass and drums, i do love the rawness of course.

Zakk, the original STTR on Xscape is not the demo and that is what I am referring to. Those are the songs as Michael last worked on them according to Estate/Sony and STTR does sound similar to Stewart's version even though he suggested he "threw out" the original musical accompaniment.

For me those 2010 mixes are very good and could have appeared on a 2nd cd for Xscape deluxe along with Timbaland's LNFSG mix. The new remix of LNFSG (reposted below) is horrific to me. However, it could appear on a cd or mp3 packaging of LNFSG mixes including the Timbaland mix.

Sony are to release another official remix of LNFSG by Dutch DJ Fedde Le Grand. Releasing 19th may 2014.

Please stop berating other posters that do not agree with your views and suggesting you are posting the views of anyone other than yourself. The thread is richer for having a mixture of individual views and attempting to understand those viewpoints than a generalized, majority/minority viewpoint.

More great post about Jerkins's perfect production of both Xscape versions:

been listening to xscape on high bass headphones, does enhance the experience quite considerably! i imagine on in ear headphones, the mastering wouldn't appear to be as top notch as it is.

I love MJ's adlib on Xscape:
"YOU'RE A LIAR!"

My ranking for now:
8. Xscape
- Rodney Jerkins: 7.5/10
- Original: 10/10

My review :)
8. Xscape
- Rodney Jerkins: 10/10
- Original: 8.5/10

Man!! I love the growling on "change" in Xscape! So damn powerful!!

8. Xscape
- Rodney Jerkins: 7.5/10
- Original: 10/10

the estate have gone full out with this project, giving the fans the original demo's which i admire massively, it is awesome that we have two Darkchild productions of the title track but, Michael's vocals are so much more prominent in the 2010 mix, especially where his baritone on ''chaaange'' goes wild,

Best song is Xscape (original version)

New Xscape is so powerful. It reminds me of modern version of Jam (one of my favourite MJ songs). The bass is killer!

i completely agree with you, it's definitely the best new mix of a song created for this album.... only slightly beating out Chicago!

When I first heard it, I preferred the original version, but as I'm listening more and more, it's really growing on me....The bass is what kept me going back to re-listen and start to notice all the cool elements in it....I love the bridge in the new version, it was great in the first place but its more prominent now, which is what I wanted...It's great!

Xscape Original 5

This album is solid. The more I listen to it, the more I love all of it. The new bridge on Xscape is AMAZING. Can't get over it.

With Xscape I almost did a 180 degrees. I loved the demo so much (who are we kidding? the track was ready for release), and it was hard to think of a remake for such a great track, but the new version is actually pretty good.

I have, and i can't make out what is being said either, but it sounds like classic late 1980's ad libs! i feel it is the one version that i will cherish & listen to most. I honestly didn't expect it to be how it sounded when i first got Xscape! that's a fact! boy was i happy when i found out that it was completely different to the leaked version.

But it doesn't sound like MJ's adlibs. Sounds more like Timberlands.

Will Xscape be available for download on itunes Monday in UK?

Was listening to STTR just now and I swear I could literally envision MJ performing this at the MTV Awards! Oh man, the what could have been...

Is there a dedication for this album like the other projects? To the kids and Katherine?

Is there a dedication for this album like the other projects? To the kids and Katherine?

Yep :) It says "This album is dedicated to Michael's children, Prince, Paris and Blanket, and his mother, Katherine Jackson" in the credits.

Loving You (1985 - is this confirmed and where??)

The booklet says it was recorded during the late Bad recording-sessions.

Was listening to STTR just now and I swear I could literally envision MJ performing this at the MTV Awards! Oh man, the what could have been...

STTR is the kind of music that Michael could perform the way he did at VMA 2001

STTR is the kind of music that Michael could perform the way he did at VMA 2001

always loved this performance, and i agree slave to the rhythm does feel like a current song that would completely slay any other artist on the charts. Hoping that this song & xscape (2014 mix) are both released as singles with well designed short films.

In the last 25 minutes I heard Man in the Mirror on one radio station, Beat it on another station and then on the popular radio station we have during their countdown played the fresh new "buzz" track LNFSG! They asked for people's opinions and I hope people will like it. Puts a big smile on my face

MJ would have never danced like on VMA for STTR when i try to imagine (and it's wierd i know) i see him just standing there singing like if singing a ballad that would have been magic people wouldn't understand a shit lol "She dances in the sheets @ night" and not moving just staying there like you are not alone

Cause I've been feeling down and blue, and it's cloudy in my head....

MJRemixed;4002207 said:
Sony are to release another official remix of LNFSG by Dutch DJ Fedde Le Grand. Releasing 19th may 2014.

Maybe suggests a physical cd release?

His remix was premiered on bbc radio 1 earlier tonight.

I must say I do not like it, I just don't think it suits the song. But there's plenty of non fans that do like it according to soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/feddelegrand/mj-lnfsg-flgrmx

Epic records:
.@feddelegrand remix of @michaeljackson's "Love Never Felt So Good" JUST premiered on @BBCR1 Check it -> soundcloud.com/feddelegrand/m…
8:22pm - 10 May 14

"Revealed and premiered by Danny Howard Saturday May 10th on the world famous BBC Radio 1 comes the one and only remix for Michael Jackson’s ‘Love Never Felt So Good’ – the lead single on his second posthumous album Xscape. Have a listen now!
In an interview last year, Fedde Le Grand described how music “will never have another like Michael Jackson”. His legacy to this day influences millions and his approach to composition has forever been a source of inspiration for the Dutch producer. Inspiration and influence aside however, the chance to add your spin on one of the greatest acts to ever live doesn’t come around too often for any artist. But with a host of the best producers, songwriters and performers around re-mastering and tying together the King of Pop’s archived material, that opportunity came along for Fedde Le Grand who could hardly refuse such an occasion."

Wow a lot of ppl are loving this one. I think it has so much energy and power- great for clubs. Nice one!

MJ would have never danced like on VMA for STTR when i try to imagine (and it's wierd i know) i see him just standing there singing like if singing a ballad that would have been magic people wouldn't understand a shit lol "She dances in the sheets @ night" and not moving just staying there like you are not alone

I think MJ liked all kinds of music if it was unknown simple drummer in the jungles of Africa he could move his feet and dance

I think we should say an official thank you to Michael since it is his voice we are hearing on the album:

This was given to Michael on 5/9/14:

005_zpsebac2ec0.jpg

005_zpsebac2ec0.jpg

005_zpsebac2ec0.jpg

005_zpsebac2ec0.jpg

I ordered this version:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JF30OTA/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

Is that plastic jewel case or soft digi pack with poster?

(I don't speak any German)
Haven't gotten through the thread yet, so maybe someone's answered already, but this is the plastic jewel case. It's the same one I pre-ordered and received Thursday. No poster. I don't think there's a digipack version in Germany except for imports...?

Haven't gotten through the thread yet, so maybe someone's answered already, but this is the plastic jewel case. It's the same one I pre-ordered and received Thursday. No poster. I don't think there's a digipack version in Germany except for imports...?

Thanks, I'll order from UK then.

Cool I hope we will be receiving more remixes of other songs in the future! That new remix of LNFSG isn't my cup of tea but that would go down amazing on a night out in a club!!!!

I think MJ liked all kinds of music if it was unknown simple drummer in the jungles of Africa he could move his feet and dance

i wasn't talking about MJ's tastes or his dance and what triggered it it's a concept it's a way to say that the guy will never do what people expect him to do thatr why he's Michael F*** Jackson baby

oh nice.
on spotify, they added a track by track commentary.

Back