Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Fortunately, I remember him saying in an interview he will only release those tracks if Katherine Jackson requests them and that he doesn't want to release them because MJ did not give his seal of approval and that we should be happy with what he's already given the world.

With that mindset if they do see the light of day which they certainly will eventually he probably won't touch them up. Because this seems like a 'leave MJs demos how they are' sort of attitude, I think.

Maybe your right. But let's say he agrees to release them on the new album and the final concept is to have old+new version of every song. There would also have to be a new version of his songs (done by him or someone else). If he refuses his songs simply wouldn't make the cut.

Still stupid to decide this according to Katherine Jacksons feelings and not based on what was said between Michael and him and common sense. Or to consider opinions of Michaels longtime collaborators concerning the songs instead of his mother who doesn't know anything how MJ worked/what he wanted musically (at least not in recent times)

Last edited:

I have a feeling this album will do fab on the charts.

Even with the controversy that followed the 'Michael' album, it did a cool 5-6 million ww. Considering that MJ frequently charts for no reason on iTunes (his greatest hits is number 4 ww) and Billboard too. With a slick promotional campaign (and maybe a little somethin' somethin' at this year's Grammys lol), I predict the album could shift around 10 million ww with 2x-3x platnuim certification within the U.S.

I have the impession that to you everything current and everything that currently sells is great.That seems to be your only criteria for great music and your only concern about a new MJ release: how much it sells. At any price. Even if it means it's not MJ's music any more. Now you are talking about changing the beats, the songs' structures, even MJ's vocal to make it sound like it's current and to make it sell. I very much disagree with this stance. If I want to listen to currently popular music then I will buy current artists' records. I really don't see the point in making MJ sound like everyone else sounds today. Then it's not MJ any more. Let's even autotune the heck out of his vocals because that's also soooooo current sounding, right? Current is NOT equal to great! Current is just cool today and won't necessarily be cool tomorrow.

If people spent more time worrying about whether or not a song is good, instead of worrying about whether or not a song sounds ''current'' then there would be a lot more better music in the world

What sounds "cool" and "current" now will sound dated in 5 years.

This isn't true in the least bit and it is very generalizing. Thriller sounds 'cool' and 'current' and it was released over 30 years ago.

If you're familiar with Timbaland's work, you'd now that one of his strengths is creating timeless rhythm-centric music that doesn't really age. The production on Justin Timberlake's Justified and 20/20 Experience was excellent albeit poorly edited/mixed.

The only thing I'm really concerned with is Timbaland's editing skills. He's extraordinarily talented (MJ called him back in 07 during his success period- which was not an uncommon thing for MJ to do) but he's a little overindulgent whereas Michael was extremely polished and self criticizing when it came to production techniques.

Funnily enough, Timbo's most critically acclaimed songs are the ones that sound like they were ripped from MJ's catalog (i.e Let The Groove Get In, Cry Me A River)

He blends genres, employs heavy sampling as well as the manipulated beat boxing technique that Michael pioneered so I don't doubt that he may even choose to whip out some archival recordings to create something grand.

When it comes to a song CHARTING its ALL about promo, NOT the the music itself. Many awful and poorly made songs chart at number one. It means very little. Any musical journalist will tell you this. Charting relates to cultural relevance and popularity, not quality (whether high or low).

All the record label needs to do is spend millions on having the song played anywhere and everywhere. They did it with Blurred Lines and Wrecking Ball lol

man, its MICHAEL fcking JACKSON with new songs.
it has to chart well. weve so many ways for promo. FB,twitter, streaming sites, TV etc. it cant be too hard to do a proper promo.

thats one thing i dont get....
on fb 60 Million fans, imagine them sharing news about a new album. it could spread so easily.

i think i just want those days back, when mike was #1 everywhere :/

I have a feeling this album will do fab on the charts.

Even with the controversy that followed the 'Michael' album, it did a cool 5-6 million ww. Considering that MJ frequently charts for no reason on iTunes (his greatest hits is number 4 ww) and Billboard too. With a slick promotional campaign (and maybe a little somethin' somethin' at this year's Grammys lol), I predict the album could shift around 10 million ww with 2x-3x platnuim certification within the U.S.

The Michael album, as I believe Bobmoo explained fairly well in an earlier post, barely touched two million. At best.

10 million? Not a chance.

The latest confirmed sales for "Michael" were >2.5 million copies worldwide and that was 2 years ago.

The latest confirmed sales for "Michael" were >2.5 million copies worldwide and that was 2 years ago.

Where do you get those numbers from? I knew it was nowhere near 5 but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's 2.5.

The Michael album, as I believe Bobmoo explained fairly well in an earlier post, barely touched two million. At best.

That's b.s considering that it was certified platinum in the US alone and that 70-80% of sales are certified leaving comfortable room for inflation and deflation. Again, this was with poor commercial advertising & 'Michael fatigue' from the general public (too many tributes & salacious news stories).

Considering Michael's multi-generational, multi-genre and multi-national appeal, 10 million is completely realistic and attainable. He's not your typical pop star with a niche market. He has excellent sales potential- anyone from a middle-aged African American male to a female German toddler lol.

Vogue;3953735 said:
I’m sorry, but those sales numbers aren’t correct. The Michael album didn’t sell 5-6 million copies. According to most estimates I’ve seen it has sold somewhere around 2,4 million, and even that’s possibly an overestimated number.

No album sells 10 million copies these days (well, Adele’s 21 is an exception). The most successful albums by hugely popular current artists sell maybe around 6 million ww. There’s no way a posthumous release will come close to those numbers. I want this next album to do well, and I think it has a chance if it’s promoted properly and fans support it, but I think we should be realistic in our expectations.

I feel as if this album could sell between 5 - 10 million on the basis that if she was lovin' me is included and the people who have heard claim it to be the best thing MJ had made in the last 15 years of his life. Their also could be other songs on their just as excellent. I don't have much statistical evidence for my belief but I just have this great belief that this albums going to do REALLY well the estate have learned their lesson no cascio songs, timbalands on board and a few others I think it'll be amazing.

I feel as if this album could sell between 5 - 10 million on the basis that if she was lovin' me is included and the people who have heard claim it to be the best thing MJ had made in the last 15 years of his life. Their also could be other songs on their just as excellent. I don't have much statistical evidence for my belief but I just have this great belief that this albums going to do REALLY well the estate have learned their lesson no cascio songs, timbalands on board and a few others I think it'll be amazing.

Those expectations are VERY high even for current artists, who are alive, touring and have non-stop promotion on Facebook/Twitter/Youtube, interviews, etc. Adele sold 9 million units not so long ago, BUT that is a one in a million case. If the album will do 3 millions, that's good.

everyone who likes his fb page should buy the album tbh. if someone shows there love, they should prove it.

Where do you get those numbers from? I knew it was nowhere near 5 but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's 2.5.

Actually I received an email from MJ Estate Online Team back in January 2012. They said one of my posts on Great Album thread discussing/making estimations about possible sales for Michael album was read and they were asked to provide me with the most current sales numbers. I don't know who asked the Online Team to provide me with the actual sales number.

As of January 2012 worldwide sales of Michael album was 2.5 Million copies. 600,000 copies were sold in USA and the rest were international sales.

I don't have more recent info and probably it is best to not speculate how many additional copies were sold between 2012-2014 but still I think we can all agree that Michael album sales is at least 2.5 Million.

everyone who likes his fb page should buy the album tbh.

If that happened, it'd be the second best selling album of all time :p

Yeah, just like they said Best of Joy was recorded in 2009, shortly before his death and it turns out it was actually recorded in October 2008.

I don't recall the Estate themselves ever saying that it was recorded in 2009; simply that it was one of the last songs he worked on, which is true. If I missed their comment I would love to read it though. As much as I'd like to be able to, I always miss something one way or another :p

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen. As great as it would be, it has already been established that most albums of today don't sell upwards of seven million copies worldwide. This isn't even referring to posthumous albums, which are notoriously harder as their artist isn't around to do interviews or promote the album properly. At most, we can expect a maximum of three million copies. Hey, considering Michael was released during the biggest overexposure of Michael in years + fans protested it left and right and it still sold 2.5 million, there's always a chance..

I don't recall the Estate themselves ever saying that it was recorded in 2009; simply that it was one of the last songs he worked on, which is true. If I missed their comment I would love to read it though. As much as I'd like to be able to, I always miss something one way or another :p

I don't know if the Estate said that, but Man in the Music author Joe Vogel did in this article:

Best of Joy
A breezy mid-tempo ballad, Jackson's falsetto is as effortless as ever as he sings promises to a loved one. Recorded in Los Angeles in 2009, this was one of his final recordings, and he still sounds fantastic.

As of January 2012 worldwide sales of Michael album was 2.5 Million copies. 600,000 copies were sold in USA and the rest were international sales.

And "Michael" actually received a Platinum (1.000.000 copies) certification by the RIAA.
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum...el Jackson&format=ALBUM&go=Search&perPage=50#
[Note: certification date is wrong in database, it did not sell that amound in just 1 month, lol]

I don't know the source any more but I remember that was communicated and as far as I remember it came from the Estate/Sony.

And "Michael" actually received a Platinum (1.000.000 copies) certification by the RIAA.
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum...el Jackson&format=ALBUM&go=Search&perPage=50#
[Note: certification date is wrong in database, it did not sell that amound in just 1 month, lol]

Certifications are based on shipments. So it's possible to be certified Platinum without actually selling that amount.

Chart data does not appear to support the 2.5million sales figure, unless MJ sold MANY copies in territories without adequate charting capability and that normally have very small music market. It's very unlikely. Maybe there were 2.5million shipments (if I'm feeling generous), but definitely not sales IMO.
The MJ Online team would need to provide a breakdown for me to believe that 2.5million copies were actually SOLD to the music buying public.

if best of joy was recorded in 2008, what was the last song mj recorded does anyone know?

Chart data does not appear to support the 2.5million sales figure, unless MJ sold MANY copies in territories without adequate charting capability and that normally have very small music market. It's very unlikely. Maybe there were 2.5million shipments (if I'm feeling generous), but definitely not sales IMO.
The MJ Online team would need to provide a breakdown for me to believe that 2.5million copies were actually SOLD to the music buying public.

At least the USA sales numbers are independently confirmed by Nielsen Soundscan numbers.

I had checked (back in the day) their 2010 report and they had Michael album sales in USA at 434,000 units
By mid 2011 (June 2011) had Michael album sales just over 510,000 units in USA.

I would imagine additional sales to be possible as that album was still promoted in 2011 with releases such as Hollywood Tonight and Behind the mask. So that could have brought the sales number close to 600,000 by January 2012 just for USA.

and it was widely reported back in the day

2: Number of posthumous albums that have been released since Michael's death in June 2009. Last year's Michael has sold just over 510,000 copies to date, while the This Is It collection has moved nearly 1 million copies to date in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1666426/michael-jackson-anniversary.jhtml

edited to add : It is important to note that Nielsen soundscan doesn't include all of the sales numbers. Most of the small non chain stores do not report their sales to Soundscan.

everyone who likes his fb page should buy the album tbh. if someone shows there love, they should prove it.

That'd be awesome if it ever happens but I know it won't because some of those people just like his music, they aren't hardcore fans like us.

Can't the Estate give us a hint? The waiting seems eternal... :timer:

"This may be one of the last pieces of music he created." How does that translate to proof that is THE last one he recorded? It's not even a song, just a piece of music that Michael probably never even heard. And the word Breed isn't even used in that report is it?

I just remembered an old post mentioning these confirmed 2009 titles because they have all been copyrighted I recall. The last thing he recorded was one of these Bang Your Head
Broken Chair
D.I.E.
Don’t Make Me Stay
H20
Lady of Summer
Red Eye
Silent Spring
Water

Dilan;3953959 said:
I just remembered an old post mentioning these confirmed 2009 titles because they have all been copyrighted I recall. The last thing he recorded was one of these Bang Your Head
Broken Chair
D.I.E.
Don’t Make Me Stay
H20
Lady of Summer
Red Eye
Silent Spring
Water

I don't think it's one of those either.

Back