Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Timbaland has been a controversial yet successful producer through the years..

He's produced a lot of hits, some others that were not mentioned above:

Pony - Ginuwine
Apologize - One Republic
Make Me Better - Fabulous & Ne yo
Get ur Freak On - Missy Elliot
4 Minutes - Madonna & Justin Timberlake

His controversy really is how pushes the envelope of sampling music and stealing it.. non the less, he's had more top 10 hits than most big artists out.. He's had 7 #1 hits.. and 20+ within the top 10..

Comparing to Will.i.am is totally different, there talents are different.. Will.i.am has a special ear for music BUT. In my opinion I'm so tired of hearing him. even in his own songs I wait for his parts to be over, and his sound is too 'will.i.am' one thing Timbaland has overcome recently is his music does not have JUST a timbaland sound to it anymore.. He was like that before but it's changing.. Will.i.ams music sounds way to similar.. I'd say the same with most Ne-yo produced songs..

just to say, i don't want Michael's song's to sound like todays crap. it's all computer processed rubbish. I want a disc of the demo's, if we don't get that and we just get these mixes then it's pointless. you don't see the beatles unreleased music touched up, elvis', amy winehouse etc. shouldn't be no different with the lord of entertainment. Michael's raw compositions are timeless, take i'm so blue.. Fall again.. perfect.

timbaland should put the final "touches" to all of the songs and the deluxe version should contain all the songs in their original form (CD2 demos).

i ofc prefer michaels unedited songs, but i wanna see MJ on #1 and the public talking about him again. so hopefully we get to hear some good uptempo songs.

So Zakk, is it me, or do you want a second cd with the demos untouched?
I'm very slowly getting the impression that this is what you want... Though i could be wrong!

I don't want to pick on you Zakk, it's just fun! All the best to you & keep your great ideas coming...

timbaland should put the final "touches" to all of the songs and the deluxe version should contain all the songs in their original form (CD2 demos).

i ofc prefer michaels unedited songs, but i wanna see MJ on #1 and the public talking about him again. so hopefully we get to hear some good uptempo songs.

no fan should prefer Michael's music to be touched up, especially in a club form. Fans should be hearing his art the way he left them, the general public don't understand true art.. music that is released today is for 2 weeks only at the most, take blurred lines.. i just don't want the essence that makes him the genius to diminish.

the number ONE song of the decade imo:

Aaliyah, Nelly Furtado (Loose album), Justin Timberlake...

Aaaliyah: Are You that somebody, Try again, Miss You, I Care 4 You)

Nelly Furtado: Really the complete "Loose" album (esp.: Say It Right, All Good Things, Wait For You, Maneater)

JT: Cry Me A River, What goes around comes around, My Love (the whole future sex/love sounds album)

^ that's just some really really real gems from the top of my head.
There are more. And of course he did some bad stuff too. It's like with most artists and producers nowadays. You can always expect a little garbage ;-)

It's the same with wiLLiAm: How much good work he put out in the past. And now it's just too much, too cheap, too bubble gum electronic britney bit**y pu**y stuff... ;-)

I know all those songs and the only one that I really love is Say It Right. The rest are must meh for me. Not bad, just meh. Also I never cared for Justin Timberlake's music anyway

I think it's a real shame that a lot of the general public may not hear Michael's music the way it was originally intended. This whole idea of ''We need to update everything to appeal to modern audiences'' really makes me sad. I wish that people could just appreciate good music and not be like ''Oh my god this sounds sooooooo dated''

I do understand that music needs to move forward and we need to embrace new ideas but that doesn't mean that we should just throw away or forget about any of the great old ideas that has been made musically

If people spent more time worrying about whether or not a song is good instead of worrying about whether or not a song sounds current, then there would be a lot more better music in the world

Even if Michael took an old MJ song that sounded dated, he would update sounds and make it sound not just current but cutting edge.. He was always tried predicting the direction music was going and create music with that sound.. He always did that and he would never stop that!

Even if Michael took an old MJ song that sounded dated, he would update sounds and make it sound not just current but cutting edge.. He was always tried predicting the direction music was going and create music with that sound.. He always did that and he would never stop that!

But Timberland is not Michael Jackson. Sure Timberland can update Michael's music but can he make it cutting edge like Michael did?

I'm not against songs getting updated. What I am against is songs being updated just for the sake of being updated.

Last edited:

And to be honest if 95% of today's mainstream music didn't sound so crap then I wouldn't be so worried about Michael's music being updated. I'm just worried that Michael's music will end up sounding like what we hear in the mainstream charts now a days

And to be honest if 95% of today's mainstream music didn't sound so crap then I wouldn't be so worried about Michael's music being updated. I'm just worried that Michael's music will end up sounding like what we hear in the mainstream charts now a days

that's why it is very important for us to get a bonus disc of the original demo's, now that even more of the debts are paid off surely they can sell a deluxe edition for us fans on the official website? they know how much Michael's un altered art means to us.. and they won't have to over produce the compact discs and the cases they're enclosed in.. it's all logical, everyone can be a winner if this goes right...

Note: this song SLAYS ANYTHING....

Because Timbaland is involved with the project, I think we can be pretty certain we're getting updated versions of the songs. Whether or not we'll get the demos/song as last touched by Michael is another matter. Me personally, I'd like to hear the modern versions to be honest (and if we got the demos in addition - awesome!).

I just hope the producers sit down with the other producers and the Estate and discuss the album's sound. That way it can sound cohesive and not all over the place (the same thing can happen with demos if they're produced in different eras and scattered all over the place, but that's a matter of track listing). I'm pretty happy with the 'standard' and 'deluxe edition' idea of delivering the music. Just have CD 1 with the modern mixes, and have CD 2 have the original demos. It's a win-win situation for everybody. Michael only has a limited amount of music left that can be released, we're not going to have to worry about the ~80 minute limit of a compact disc.

I suppose it'd just be a question of how many demos they include though. If they include every song's demo, then to the average consumer, it'll look weird if you compare the standard and deluxe editions and see that for $4 more you can get twice the material. These days you only expect up to 5 extra tracks on a deluxe edition, maybe an extra remix or two on top of that. I imagine they could get around this by merely pointing out the deluxe edition is more for the fans who are interested in the original demos, but there is still probably the odd person who'd consider it money-grabbing. They could also just pump up the price a bit but of course, that has the potential to reduce sales,. If they only include a few demos however, no doubt there'll be fans who are pissed off because they want all the demos. Just something I've been thinking about...

Honestly, where does it say that the Estate NEEDS to give us the original versions? Michael isn't the only dead artist who has had his unreleased material be remixed before its release -- Tupac, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, etc. Much of their posthumous music was reproduced to seem more complete and yet no one complains. Now of course, I know the reproduction needs to be GOOD, and keep the essence of a track intact. But the Estate does not need to give fans the original versions. Fans want it. And just because fans think they deserve it doesn't mean that they do.

Honestly, where does it say that the Estate NEEDS to give us the original versions? Michael isn't the only dead artist who has had his unreleased material be remixed before its release -- Tupac, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, etc. Much of their posthumous music was reproduced to seem more complete and yet no one complains. Now of course, I know the reproduction needs to be GOOD, and keep the essence of a track intact. But the Estate does not need to give fans the original versions. Fans want it. And just because fans think they deserve it doesn't mean that they do.
Because I will buy Original MJ finished work only, remix may not be welcome like before (Michael Album, BAD25 remix part)!

Yes, but the thing is.. when Michael released his music whilst he was here rocking the studio's all over the world.. he always had The same few people with him.. Bruce Swedien, Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, Neff-U, Red One, Teddy Riley, Dark Child, Bernie Grundman.. where on that list does it say Timbaland huh? i would actually prefer if Robin Thicke worked on one of Michael's ballads as he wrote/Co-Composed & Co-Produced Fall again.. i'm not complaining about these song's being edited a little to sound more fresh.. it's just the fact that they shouldn't have anyone else's voices on. Also, the original instrumental vision intended by Michael shouldn't be forgotten at all.. it should sound exactly the same but with a more clean finish. Take This is it Orchestra version as an example.. love how they brought true instruments into the equation for that.

if needed, when the song is being mastered (hopefully by Bernie Grundman) add a little bass to Michael's vocal tracks, to make it sound a little more prominent.

Honestly, where does it say that the Estate NEEDS to give us the original versions?

It is merely a rumour at this point, you're right. I think some fans will need to be careful and lower their expectations from expecting demos to hoping for them. They're going to be very disappointed if the Estate decide to just release the modern mixes, which is a possible reality.

Yes, but the thing is.. when Michael released his music whilst he was here rocking the studio's all over the world.. he always had The same few people with him.. Bruce Swedien, Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, Neff-U, Red One, Teddy Riley, Dark Child, Bernie Grundman.. where on that list does it say Timbaland huh?

Who knows, perhaps Michael expressed interest in private in working with Timbaland? While of course that might not even be true, I imagine the Estate would know quite a bit more about people MJ expressed interest in working with, so who knows?

@Zakk

Please stop bragging about how Michael should work with his "old" producers. Look at "Another Day" and "Hollywood Tonight".

@Zakk

Please stop bragging about how Michael should work with his "old" producers. Look at "Another Day" and "Hollywood Tonight".

Another Day & Hollywood Tonight were both produced by Teddy Riley for the 'Michael' Album. My point provails again. Producers on this new record should be: Bradley Buxer, Robin Thicke, Darkchild & Theron Feemster, possibly Teddy Riley also. He claims he was set up during the creation of the 'MICHAEL' album.. so i believe he deserves another chance. Mastering by Bernie Grundman, Engineering by Bruce Swedien and sound supervising by Michael Durham Prince.

Edit: Neff-U worked on Hollywood Tonight, still a producer Michael personally worked with though so.. no change in my meaning.

Last edited:

Personally I don't want Robin Thicke anywhere near MJ material, Brad Buxer, Teddy Riley ,Dr Freeze are my idea choices ,but I'm curious to see what happens, I wouldn't bank on original versions till we see it in the press release...

I'm surprised that the man who wrote Fall Again was also the man who wrote Blurred Lines. Yuck.

Lots of artists have their good and bad days, and Blurred Lines was a very very bad day for Robin Thicke

But I do think that this shows that we shouldn't judge an artists entire body of work based on just one song

Last edited:

Don't see the issue.

The sense of entitlement? Perhaps.

Lots of artists have their good and bad days, and Blurred Lines was a very very bad day for Robin Thicke

I was mainly talking about the lyrics. Lyrically, Fall Again is such a beautiful song. Whereas the lyrics in Blurred Lines are the complete opposite - absolutely disgusting and repulsive, with many suggesting that they promote rape. In fact, the lyrics have been compared to what rapists have said to their victims as you can see here and here (I've seen more examples over the past few months, but that was what first popped up when I googled it).

It just surprises me how someone who can write such a beautiful song such as Fall Again can also write such a disrespectful and repulsive song such as Blurred Lines, that's all.

Last edited:

I was mainly talking about the lyrics. Lyrically, Fall Again is such a beautiful song. Whereas the lyrics in Blurred Lines are the complete opposite - absolutely disgusting and repulsive, with many suggesting that they promote rape. In fact, the lyrics having been compared to what rapists have said to their victims as you can see here (I've seen more examples over the past few months, but that was what first popped up when I googled it).

It just surprises me how someone who can write such a beautiful song such as Fall Again can also write such a disrespectful and repulsive song such as Blurred Lines, that's all.

Blurred Lines is just a terrible song

The Teddy Riley produced songs on the "Michael" album prove how just because a producer worked with Michael it does not guarantee quality work by the same producer on posthumus albums. It also does not guarantee the producer will respect Michael's original ideas for a song. (Like when Riley wanted to change the story of HT.) The same way just because a producer did not work with MJ it does not mean he will not respect Michael's music and ideas. Just give Timbaland a chance and keep an open mind. Judge it when you hear it, not before.

^^Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

The Teddy Riley produced songs on the "Michael" album prove how just because a producer worked with Michael it does not guarantee quality work by the same producer on posthumus albums. It also does not guarantee the producer will respect Michael's original ideas for a song. (Like when Riley wanted to change the story of HT.) The same way just because a producer did not work with MJ it does not mean he will not respect Michael's music and ideas. Just give Timbaland a chance and keep an open mind. Judge it when you hear it, not before.

The problem with Teddy Riley was not his production (actually I like production on all his 3 songs), the problem was that he worked on 2 non-Michael Jackson songs. And it doesn't matter if you worked with MJ or not or if you are the greatest producer in the world.. noone could produce those songs to sound like Michael Jackson, not even Quincy Jones or Timbaland, the product would be the same.

I'm angry with him because he changed the meaning of Hollywood Tonight by cutting "She's only 15" line and writing his own bridge, but I'm pretty sure that was orders from Sony.

you don't see the point though, Robin thicke didn't write any other of Michael's unreleased song's.. i'm sure he can work his magic on a unreleased ballad.. the instrumentals on blurred lines and fall again prove his skills.. i just think that if we can get artists like these, and classic artists who worked with Michael earlier and in the later years.. we can get a level ground of material and all would be stunning. Timbaland only spoke with Michael on the phone.. plus, Teddy riley didn't edit Michael's vocal tracks as you all know.. so it ain't even his fault.. Eddie Cascio messed with the vocal tracks before they were sent off to the estate. I hope thing's will be done right. Good day.

Sony is a distributor. They didn't tell anyone "remove this line, change this song" etc. Its up to the Estate and the Producers.

Stop blaming the company.

Like Respect77 said, "Give Timbaland a chance"
Escape sounds like an early 2000's track too....its good, but it needs an update too.

Back