Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

I can hear a few similarities here and there (to TWYMMF/LMA), but it's by no means a "rip off".

A lot of people already here mentioned TWYMMF and LMA...

I mean as far as critics and the general public are concerned. I honestly didn't even put the comparisons together until I read comments here.

There is no need for anyone to get snarky or be harsh with their opinions to each other or about the producers. There is nothing really bad going on with these songs. Just your tastes differ. I respect the producers for giving it their best effort. .. Michael isn't here. Your personal opinion of a song isn't going to make or break it either. Some will like it some will not .. no biggy .. We get both versions.

Last edited:

Don't like this new mix of aowonn. The vocals just don't match the beats. I was bored listening do it after a 90 seconds in. I love the demo just the way it is. Shame really.

I've played the song a few times and it's slowly growing on me. I'm think it's important to give this song a fair chance to grow on us, especially because it's so different to how we've heard it for the past 5-6 months, and just because it's different doesn't necessarily mean it's worse.

So far, I am quite liking it! It feels otherworldly but... a little bit weird at the same time? Each play it grows on me further :) Maybe I'd alter the 'LMA' instrument slightly (not necessary the melody or whatever, just the actual way it sounds), make it a bit more subtle maybe but overall, it's good!

I quite like the chorus :p

Yes, but let's keep in mind that a twenty-five second snippet of A Place With No Name had fans excited for four and a half years, only to be let down when the full thing surfaced. (Not all fans were disappointed, but I did see many sad faces on this and other boards.) When CGYWOOM finally leaks, for all we know, we could absolutely hate it. Until then, though, we really can't say anything definitively.

I am not sure APWNN would have the same excited reception if it was released before 2009. I first heard the APWNN snippet on CNN. The media did not play the Xscape leak from 2002 until 2014.

I am not saying that CGYWOOM is a good song or not. I am only saying I enjoyed that snippet more than APWNN in full because I simply do not like the cover. It is pleasant however; I listen to the Xscape leak routinely since I first heard it. Again, APWNN is like If You Don't Love Me for me. A likable song that did not need to be released.

What is truly bothering me is that for the past nights, I would sign off and continue reading posts while enjoying the songs over and over. I am currently typing without listening to any music and I have not repeated APWNN in some time.

I feel so out of place in here, having fun listening to this on repeat (like when the other songs came out) and bopping to the beat, while I read the currently intense discussion. :lol: Have fun guys! If it doesn't grow on you after a couple of plays, no biggle. Some of you may not like the remixed version, but you'll always have your original! It's not the end of the world.

I feel so out of place in here, having fun listening to this on repeat (like when the other songs came out) and bopping to the beat, while I read the currently intense discussion. :lol: Have fun guys! If it doesn't grow on you after a couple of plays, no biggle. Some of you may not like the remixed version, but you'll always have your original! It's not the end of the world.

It wasn't my fav at first, but now I've got it on repeat, bobbin' my head like crazy. The beat is nice & funky with some 80s throwback in there. :chillin:

I was about to say that the Clavinet i soooooooooo STEVIE WONDER (superstition baby)

^Now that's what it reminded me of! Stevie Wonder, yes! I love that sound. It's funky. Or as Michael would describe stuff, it's a "smelly" song. Hahaha.

This version lacks one thing and it's :

80_3998.jpg

I was about to say that the Clavinet i soooooooooo STEVIE WONDER (superstition baby)

Now that you mentioned that, it does! More like "Higher Ground." I'm so getting this album!

When I see some fans' posts, I sometimes wonder how many MJ's songs they like in total. Two? Three?

I mean, you gotta be kidding me when some say they don't like an MJ song. To me it is unconceivable. Maybe, it's soemthing wrong with me?

Anyway, as far as I am concerned:

-the mix MJ&JT LNFSG is great!
-Chicago is outstanding
-Loving You (I heard only a snippet) sounds wonderful
-APWNN (I heard only a bumper) sounds incredible, it reminds me of Leave Me Alone rhythm.

As many said, if you don't like the fresher versions, well listen to the demos, problem solved. But do not forget one thing MJ is NOT HERE, we have no choice but let those guys do what they think MJ would love. MJ worked with them and they certainly do it with a huge amount of respect and love for MJ. Don't kill their love for MJ and what they have been trying to do to bring MJ back musicallywise for the generations who don't know MJ very well.

As I said earlier, MJ had such a brilliant career that he has nothing to prove any more and nothing will overshadow it. They could release MJ's burp and it would become a hit, but the burp wouldn't overshadow MJ's classic masterpieces he released when he was alive.

Last edited:

Don't like this new mix of aowonn. The vocals just don't match the beats. I was bored listening do it after a 90 seconds in. I love the demo just the way it is. Shame really.
Good becuase you will get the demo just the way it is .. It is on the album. We cant expect the updated songs to sound just like the demos. that wouldn't make sense.

The original versions of most of the songs will be better. there's not much Michael sound on the new mixes esspecially the instrumentation

As many said, if you don't like the fresher versions, well listen to the demos, problem solved. But do not forget one thing MJ is NOT HERE, we have no choice but let those guys do what they think MJ would love. MJ worked with them and they certainly do it with a huge amount of respect and love for MJ. Don't kill their love for MJ and what they have been trying to do to bring MJ back musicallywise for the generations who do'nt know very well MJ.

That's all nice, but I don't know why we shouldn't say so if we do not like a song - or in this case a remix? Should I say I love it even if I don't just "not to kill the producers' love for MJ" (who probably do not even read this board)?

the new arrangement of APWNN!!! I love it!

Sheesh, some people suggest/pretend with their comments we have to like and appreciate everything brought on Xscape just because it's modern! Not the case, modern not always means good or better!

Bring it on STTR to move on!

Again: AMAZING Mix!!

:beach: I think at this rate I'm going to learn all the words in time for the album release and lipsync to this like a BOSS in my car, LOL. Too bad my car ain't a jeep though, boyfriend's is!

When I see some fans' posts, I sometimes wonder how many MJ's songs they like in total. Two? Three?

I mean, you gotta be kidding me when some say they don't like an MJ song. To me it is unconceivable. Maybe, it's soemthing wrong with me?

Anyway, as far as I am concerned:

-the mix MJ&JT LNFSG is great!
-Chicago is outstanding
-Loving You (I heard only a snippet) sounds wonderful
-APWNN (I heard only a bumper) sounds incredible, it reminds me of Leave Me Alone rhythm.

As many said, if you don't like the fresher versions, well listen to the demos, problem solved. But do not forget one thing MJ is NOT HERE, we have no choice but let those guys do what they think MJ would love. MJ worked with them and they certainly do it with a huge amount of respect and love for MJ. Don't kill their love for MJ and what they have been trying to do to bring MJ back musicallywise for the generations who don't know MJ very well.

As I said earlier, MJ had such a brilliant career that he has nothing to prove any more and nothing will overshadow it. They could release MJ's burp and it wwould become a hit, but the burp wouldn't overshadow MJ's classic masterpieces he released when he was alive.

Correction: No one hate the song, People just don't like the new production....

The idea is that the new production doesn't fit with the lyrics at ALL....I mean MJ was riding a jeep in the desert not a spaceship to use synthetic sound LOOOOL :D :D

No, seriously..i am mad at them muting freeze backvocals..made the song lose lot of Harmony

That's all nice, but I don't know why we shouldn't say so if we do not like a song - or in this case a remix? Should I say I love it even if I don't just "not to kill the producers' love for MJ" (who probably do not even read this board)?

we don't expect people to love everything :) your opinion is repected as long as it is "i don't like it, i prefer the demo" but when some people (not necessarily you) start schooling producers, saying its a shame they ruined the song..... that's the problem

Don't be so quick to judge it just yet, give it a few listens and then decide.

I'm gonna listen to it again, vocals are strong though.

That's what i also think, if i hear a new song. At the beginning, i didn't really liked 'Lovin You'

I've finally gotten resilience, and have decided to wait on all future songs. I've heard 3 out of the 8 songs that will be on the new album...I want the rest to be a surprise.

May 9th, I'm going to hopefully have the album. I plan to buy the album in CD and vinyl form, but I can't wait until the 13th. It would just kill me.

Sony are staying pretty close to when Michael would drop an album every 4 or 5 years. Michael was 9 years from Invincible, and Xscape is 4 years from Michael. That's pretty good for his legacy.

we don't expect people to love everything :) your opinion is repected as long as it is "i don't like it, i prefer the demo" but when some people (not necessarily you) start schooling producers, saying its a shame they ruined the song..... that's the problem

I did say they ruined the song and I stand to that. It's not "schooling the producers", it's an opinion about their work which everyone is entitled to - after all we are the public and we can have an opinion about their work, can't we? Or only if the opinion is positive?

I liked basically everything on Xscape so far, I do not like this one. Maybe it will grow on me after a while, but so far I'm like: "meh, next".

Correction: No one hate the song, People just don't like the new production....

The idea is that the new production doesn't fit with the lyrics at ALL....I mean MJ was riding a jeep in the desert not a spaceship to use synthetic sound LOOOOL :D :D

No, seriously..i am mad at them muting freeze backvocals..made the song lose lot of Harmony

I totally get a Western desert vibe from the new production, whereas the 2008 mix actually reminded me of a street alongside a pine forest for some reason... with fog. Lots of fog.

Last edited:

I totally get a Western desert vibe from the new production, whereas the 2008 mix actually reminded me of a street alongside a pine forest for some reason... with fog. Lots of fog.

TwinPeaks_openingshotcredits.jpg

I did say they ruined the song and I stand to that. It's not "schooling the producers", it's an opinion about their work which everyone is entitled to - after all we are the public and we can have an opinion about their work, can't we? Or only if the opinion is positive?

I liked basically everything on Xscape so far, I do not like this one. Maybe it will grow on me after a while, but so far I'm like: "meh, next".

sure you can my friend but you were never supposed to hear the "original" and you base your judgment on your licking to a version you heard illegally and against the will of MJ :/

Back