You Are Not Alone

HannahMJJ

Proud Member
Well where to begin... I started a new job last Monday. It's very different to any job I've done before, and it's quite difficult too. Thought I'd see if anyone else has recently started a new job/school term etc? Im just very stressed honestly ?

PixieJ

Proud Member
It's strange to read the thread - started in 2008, then suddenly June 2009 and Everything changed. Then a post 2017 and 2018.

2009 was the worst year of my life for many reasons. It broke me in some ways and maybe fixed me in others. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety since. Not just MJ but also Personal and family related traumas all together within a month.

That year is still haunting me. It's 3am, I am awake with anxiety and can't talk to anyone.

It's great to know that the MJJ community still exists after all this time. Thanks for being here.

michaelsfedora

Proud Member
It's strange to read the thread - started in 2008, then suddenly June 2009 and Everything changed. Then a post 2017 and 2018.

2009 was the worst year of my life for many reasons. It broke me in some ways and maybe fixed me in others. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety since. Not just MJ but also Personal and family related traumas all together within a month.

That year is still haunting me. It's 3am, I am awake with anxiety and can't talk to anyone.

It's great to know that the MJJ community still exists after all this time. Thanks for being here.

:cry::cry: Sorry to hear that. it seems as if sometimes tragedies come at the same time ......

bluemoon7

Proud Member
Did some of you ever adopt a cat from southern Europe / Spain? Just had a heartbreaking experience with this. Basically, it turned out my cat (I had him only ten weeks) - a former stray - was suffering from living in a flat with large balcony. So with a heavy heart I decided to have him replaced early to someone with more space and a garden.

What happened? Cat was basically snatched away from me (that is how I feel) and I did not receive any info about the new home, etc. I had him only ten weeks but it was MY cat. I cared for this kitty a lot and all the proceedings of replacement were obscure and heartless (that is how I feel at this moment).

I´m worried.

Alh21

Proud Member
Hi, New to this site, been a MJ fan for 40 years, I've been thinking about him a lot these past few weeks and the horrible things he had to go through, still can't believe MJ isn't here anymore ?, I am trying to take comfort in thinking that he is no longer in pain and is in a better place but it's not really working x

Khawla

Proud Member
I'm new here, I have been a fan of michael for a year, and I'm proud :??:

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
Where to begin? Im looking for a job but in Portugal where I live its so so difficult! You almost have to be born with experience in everything! Theres a lot of tourists visiting my city (Oporto), and they think this country is amazing... But its not. Sure we have good things but to live here you have to be wealthy, otherwise its not easy. Really, my wish is to move out for another country. I just need a job thats all, but my country doesnt help anybody.
This is what I feel right now. I try to live the best I can but sometimes I break down.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4273668 said:
You almost have to be born with experience in everything!

Oh yes! Same thing in Germany. They’re always looking for 25 year olds with 20 years of experience in the field, and the required skills list is long enough for 3 separate jobs. It’s frustrating. Basically, the people who are hiring have no idea what they actually need and try to hire someone who knows everything, just in case. And for cheap. That’s why they prefer young people. I was sick of that and started my own business early on and have never looked back.

What kind of work are you looking for?

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4273690 said:
Oh yes! Same thing in Germany. They’re always looking for 25 year olds with 20 years of experience in the field, and the required skills list is long enough for 3 separate jobs. It’s frustrating. Basically, the people who are hiring have no idea what they actually need and try to hire someone who knows everything, just in case. And for cheap. That’s why they prefer young people. I was sick of that and started my own business early on and have never looked back.

What kind of work are you looking for?

How is that even possible!? 25 years old with 20 years of experience? Here is the same, its a horrible horrible country. We´ve always been a poor country but with the European Union its much much worse.
I want a job in my area which is History (yeah :D), I´m graduated in History, but in Portugal there are no jobs in that area, so I´m looking in supermarkets, stores... Its hard for me to think I´ve been 5 years in University, and now I might end up in a store selling clothes.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4273695 said:
How is that even possible!? 25 years old with 20 years of experience?

Well, they don’t actually say it like that, but if you add up all the experience they’re asking for, you’d have to have started out 5 years old. ;)

DifferentKindOfLady;4273695 said:
I want a job in my area which is History (yeah :D), I´m graduated in History, but in Portugal there are no jobs in that area, so I´m looking in supermarkets, stores... Its hard for me to think I´ve been 5 years in University, and now I might end up in a store selling clothes.

Oh, history, that’s super interesting! I hope you’ll find a nice job soon. :)

A friend of mine is currently in the same situation: he graduated in history and can’t find a job. He decided to go back to university to specialize in one particular field while working a half-time job in a supermarket.

I did a similar thing in my field. I specialized in a small niche subject and became an expert on that. So I did pretty much the opposite of what the job market demands. I think it’s good advice to aim at becoming this:

eisenstaedt_alfred_329_2002_449284_displaysize.jpg

instead of that:

kkxv3cqvd8az.jpg

I am a web accessibility consultant, btw., and what I do is help companies to make their websites accessible for people with disabilities.

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4273696 said:
Well, they don’t actually say it like that, but if you add up all the experience they’re asking for, you’d have to have started out 5 years old. ;)

Oh, history, that’s super interesting! I hope you’ll find a nice job soon. :)

A friend of mine is currently in the same situation: he graduated in history and can’t find a job. He decided to go back to university to specialize in one particular field while working a half-time job in a supermarket.

I did a similar thing in my field. I specialized in a small niche subject and became an expert on that. So I did pretty much the opposite of what the job market demands. I think it’s good advice to aim at becoming this:

eisenstaedt_alfred_329_2002_449284_displaysize.jpg

instead of that:

kkxv3cqvd8az.jpg

I am a web accessibility consultant, btw., and what I do is help companies to make their websites accessible for people with disabilities.

In Portugal they say it like that. Even in beauty stores you have to be an expert in everything and they even ask 20 years of experience.
But he´s lucky if he found a job in part time, because here even that is difficult. I guess I will be trying, because I can´t go back to university, it´s too expensive.
Your job is very interesting btw, it changes peoples lives :)
History is cool but its very hard. Sometimes me and my friends wanted to give up but we did it. :D

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4273697 said:
In Portugal they say it like that. Even in beauty stores you have to be an expert in everything and they even ask 20 years of experience.
But he´s lucky if he found a job in part time, because here even that is difficult. I guess I will be trying, because I can´t go back to university, it´s too expensive.

Yep, even part time jobs are hard to find these days. I don’t know about Portugal, but in Germany, mail delivery services are almost always hiring. I delivered mail for years, while I was building my skills in web design (which is what I started out with before I specialized). It’s a hard job and it doesn’t pay well, but you get to be outdoors and talk to many people, without the boss sitting in your back all the time. I enjoyed that a lot. :)

DifferentKindOfLady;4273697 said:
Your job is very interesting btw, it changes peoples lives :)

Thanks. :) Yes, I want to make a difference in this world, that’s always the goal. :)

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
I never heard about mail delivery services , I think in Portugal theres no such thing.
Thats good because the world needs more people like you :)

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4273698 said:
Yep, even part time jobs are hard to find these days. I don’t know about Portugal, but in Germany, mail delivery services are almost always hiring. I delivered mail for years, while I was building my skills in web design (which is what I started out with before I specialized). It’s a hard job and it doesn’t pay well, but you get to be outdoors and talk to many people, without the boss sitting in your back all the time. I enjoyed that a lot. :)

Thanks. :) Yes, I want to make a difference in this world, that’s always the goal. :)

I never heard about mail delivery services , I think in Portugal theres no such thing.
Thats good because the world needs more people like you.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4273705 said:

I might have worded that one wrong. What I mean is mail delivery as in delivering parcels and letters. :)

You spend some time each morning sorting the letters and/or parcels according to your route and then you go out and deliver everything. It’s fun. You sometimes have to deal with shitty weather and other inconveniences, but I loved it. You get to see so many people every day. :)

Alh21

Proud Member
It the same in the UK tbh, everyone has to be educated now, I’ve just started my first year in university at 50 lol, I’m doing crime scene science as I would love to be a fire investor, I don’t know who I’m kidding if I’m honest, I’m to old and I’ll never get employed in that field, I’ll probably end up either without a job or cleaning like I’ve always done

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4273706 said:
I might have worded that one wrong. What I mean is mail delivery as in delivering parcels and letters. :)

You spend some time each morning sorting the letters and/or parcels according to your route and then you go out and deliver everything. It’s fun. You sometimes have to deal with shitty weather and other inconveniences, but I loved it. You get to see so many people every day. :)

Oh I know what it is! Its the postman I think. Of course we have that here but I never remember that. Im going to check that. :)

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
Alh21;4273715 said:
It the same in the UK tbh, everyone has to be educated now, I’ve just started my first year in university at 50 lol, I’m doing crime scene science as I would love to be a fire investor, I don’t know who I’m kidding if I’m honest, I’m to old and I’ll never get employed in that field, I’ll probably end up either without a job or cleaning like I’ve always done

But here even the so called educated people are having difficulties finding a job. Its the same for everyone. Oh my God I thought it was just here but after all its everywhere. I wonder if in the USA its better because its my dream to go there.
Its never too late to follow our dreams so if that is what you want you should never give up. Who knows? Maybe you can find a job in that field