Which Michael track opening is your favourite

MJBT

Proud Member
For me one thing that has always seperated Michael from other artist out there are the way his tracks open, each has its own distinctive opening to hype you up before the groove starts take the Don't Stop Til You Get Enough opening bass spoken intro or the keyboards for Leave Me Alone.

But which one is is your favourite(I found it difficult to pick one so listed a few)

Billie Jean
Who Is It
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
Leave Me Alone
OTW
Unbreakable
Baby Be Mine
APOM
TWYMMF
Smooth Criminal
I'm So Blue

I also noticed this is what sets apart MJ from other artist :)

So many tracks to talk about but now I can think of :

Who Is It, when the music goes in crescendo with the percussion and then goes down a little bit again until MJ start singing

WYBT after the Beethoven intro ends, it's amazing.

Earth Song, since MJ died that song brings tears to my eyes every single time, lol. The intro is just wow, is like the sound of the earth breathing.

Those are just what I have in my head now :p

Off the top of my head, I LOOOOOVE the way Another Part of Me starts.....

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Billie Jean
Who Is It
Dangerous
Dirty Diana
Thriller
Earth Song
Is It Scary...those amazing hiccups he does...

There are more, and I'll post when I think of them..

I also love the way his songs END....Most of them have actual endings, instead of just fade outs...I always loved that about his music...Same with his bridges, they're always so amazing...

I really like the opening for Bad because it really sets up the tough feeling that Quincy said he and Michael were going for with that album.

This is why I call Michael the King of Music: the introductions to some of his songs are the best. Sometimes they make you think one thing and end up thinking another when the actual music starts, which is great.

- Earth Song; I really enjoy listening to this one because, considering the way it opens you don't expect what comes later. It starts out serene, calm and relaxed and by the halfway point you're in the midst of a powerful storm.

- You Rock My World; as corny as it may seem, I can't help but laugh when I listen to this. Hearing a 43-year-old Michael Jackson speaking slang ("Ooh, she's bangin'!") amuses me.

- Thriller; one of Michael's more iconic intros. Anyone who hears the door creaking/foot steps/thunder/werewolf combination instantly knows what's next.

- Hollywood Tonight; one of my favorite things about the redone Teddy Riley instrumental. The Gregorian choir introduction really makes you reconsider your original thoughts about how the song might sound, before you're plunged right into a heavy cacophony of Michael's beat boxing and a drum machine.

- Who Is It; the choir arrangement that ends in a final haunting harmony note is the perfect transition into the downbeat and infectious bass line we've come to know and love.

- Stranger in Moscow; the sampled rain, the cut-up samples of Michael beat boxing that leads into the guitar and strings... one of his best song introductions that doesn't trick you; it makes you fully aware of what you're in for.

- Little Susie; although I find it difficult to listen to, Little Susie's introduction is essentially the instrumental equivalent to the lyrics. The little girl singing along with her music box really freaks me out; it makes me think of those horror movies when you hear the little ghost girl off in the distance singing a song to herself.

popcorn-MJ.gif

Is It Scary
Heal The World
DSTYGE
Rock With You
Stranger In Moscow
I'm So Blue
You Are There (My only pre-Off The Wall choice I can think of right now :) )

Nice topic! Indeed, Michael has so many songs with cool and instantly recognizable intros. They are quite varied too. Firstly, there are the very short intros that start the song off with a bang - the three quick snare hits that kick off WBBS, the synth stabs of Bad, the glass shattering at the start of Jam, the cool drum roll that leads into Rock With You, the growl in TWYMMF. I always love these.

Then, he has a whole batch of songs where the intro builds a bit more slowly - the iconic door, footsteps and wolf howl in that immediately set the mood for Thriller, the soft-spoken intro to DSTYGE, the guitar work in Why You Wanna Trip on Me, the beatboxing in Working Day and Night. Then there is a whole subset of songs with a middle-long intro that start off with cool sound effects - the ominous sounds of Dirty Diana, the industrial vibe of the samples used for Dangerous and Morphine, the space sounds of APOM, the effects in Unbreakable.

And finally there are the long, epic intros - choirs, classical pieces, etc. Songs like Will You Be There and Earth Song. I also love the intro to Heal the World, though it always makes me a bit sad too.

Of course there's one more set of intros: the spoken ones. Tracks like BOW, YRMW, IJCSLY. These intro's are generally my least favourite because the dialogue just becomes repetitive quickly.

How can you guys even answer this, haha :D

Too many songs to bother writing them down, seriously.

It's hard to choose between Billie Jean, Stranger In Moscow and You Rock My World.

Man yall crazy. You know how hard that is to answer? APOM is a big one for me. Other than that, I like all of them.

Blood on the Dance Floor
No dramatic, theatrical effect like in some of his huge hits, but I gotta go with this song.
In-your-face, blunt, urgent, right from the gate. Kind of implying "Let me show you this side of the world - a world of greed, lust, and money. I'm a busy man, ain't got no time to waste. Come on!" I mean, the opening goes well with the theme of the song.

O boy, that's not a simple question to answer!! He has sooooooo many Beautiful intros, practically all, so to name my Favs of those... Pff, tough one!!
Definitely Billie Jean, hearing the beginning already makes me feel like dancing!
Also Beat It, don't know why it hasn't been mentioned yet? Or has it, sorry in case it has!! Love the Guitar, and then the beat with the drum to get in to it, it's building and building, and then I can just imagine that Cool kinda Angry Tough looking Cutie on the bed!! :wub:
Thriller for sure... Who doesn't like the cracking door??!! ;)
I also really Love the start of Who Is It?
And DSTYGE, that rhythm at the beginning, Love It! :yes:
O my, so many songs... :thinking:
Smooth Criminal also very cool to start that song, Auw!! About on the same level as Bad I think!
Stranger In Moscow, his mouth beat-boxing sounds, WoW!!
Another Part Of Me, also really gets me into it........
And lots, lots more!! :heart: :D

Wow I have so many, I'll just list a few of the ones I've been playing the most lately:

-Will You Be There.. I used to think it was too long, nonetheless I've always known it's a breathtaking arrangement and the choir sounds beautiful..now everytime I play it it makes my heart cringe and I end up tearing up, so beautiful.

-Earth Song.. same as WYBT, so powerful and moving, I love it.

-Liberian Girl.. there's something about foreign languages that gets me and I find LG's opening to be very sensual and romantic.

-Dirty Diana... Need I say more? raw, sexy, in your face.. I love that aggressiveness into his music :swoon:

-Who Is It? OMG, I can't even describe what that opening does to me..I love it so much, it's mysterious and the beat is powerful..one of my very faves.

I might edit later, I have so many to think about and explain lol, Michael you make it so difficult for me to narrow things down when it comes to your music :pth: :lmao:

Well lots of them but i will pick 3
Dangerous
Who is it
Stranger in Moscow

Strange In Moscow- love the sound of the rain and plus I love to beat box along with MJ.
Al Capone
Will You Be There- Love the part after the Beethoven music.
Superfly Sister

Back