What Was "Michael Mania" Like?

FD1998

Proud Member
Being only 16, I never witnessed the 80s and the hysteria revolving around Michael.
I've only really witnessed the posthumous era and remember when he was found not guilty in 2005.
But what were the 80s and 90s like? Was he always in the news? Did everyone love him? Was he perceived as cool? Was his name always mentioned? Did he dominate the chart? Did his music stand out from the rest?

I'd be very interested to know, especially from different countries and age groups.

I became a hardcore fan around 95, and saw him numerous times on the HIStory tour and plenty over the years at various fan events, award shows and public appearances. He effected people in such a profound way it is really very hard to put into words.

By the 90s I think Michael was already a fairly polarising figure. He was like marmite, you either loved him or hated him. But it was certainly a great time to be a fan and he was still hot news. I remember after the Earth Song video premiered on British TV, it was all anyone was talking about the next day at school.

The last time I saw him was in 2006 for the World Music Awards in London. The show had Rhianna, Chris Brown, Beyonce etc, but nobody cared about them. Literally every single person at the Earls Court arena was there to see Michael. I remember when the other acts were on stage, people were just milling around, some sitting, some standing... there was plenty of room to move and make your way closer to the stage. Between other artists performances everyone would be chanting "Michael, Michael, Michael."

When Michael eventually came out all of a sudden it felt as if there was twice as many people in the audience. Everyone was jammed in tight, you couldn't move any closer to the stage, everyone was on their feet trying to get a glimpse. The atmosphere was frenzied hysteria.

I've heard it said before that there are celebrities, then there are superstars, then there are megastars, then there's Michael Jackson. You only had to be in the same room as him to know how true that is.

Last edited:
I became a hardcore fan around 95, and saw him numerous times on the HIStory tour and plenty over the years at various fan events, award shows and public appearances. He effected people in such a profound way it is really very hard to put into words.

By the 90s I think Michael was already a fairly polarising figure. He was like marmine, you either loved him or hated him. But it was certainly a great time to be a fan and he was still hot news. I remember the day after the Earth Song video premiered on British TV, it was all anyone was talking about the next day at school.

The last time I saw him was in 2006 for the World Music Awards in London. The show had Rhianna, Chris Brown, Beyonce etc, but nobody cared about them. Literally every single person at the Earls Court arena was there to see Michael. I remember when the other acts were on stage, people were just milling around, some sitting, some standing... there was plenty of room to move and make your way closer to the stage. Between other artists performances everyone would be chanting "Michael, Michael, Michael."

When Michael eventually came out all of a sudden it felt as if there was twice as many people in the audience. Everyone was jammed in tight, you couldn't move any closer to the stage, everyone was on their feet trying to get a glimpse. The atmosphere was frenzied hysteria.

I've heard it said before that there are celebrities, then there are superstars, then there are megastars, then there's Michael Jackson. You only had to be in the same room as him to know how true that is.

This was great to read! All my friends took days to notice the release of LNFSG, which is sad because there must have been a huge mania for everyone to watch it at night and be spoken about the next day. We never get that today and we may never will.

I'm 42 now so MJ was the biggest artist ever when I was growing up. It was a great time for the 'superstar' in general, with the holy trinity of MJ, Prince & Madonna.

I recall buying Thriller on tape, Bad as my first ever CD and Dangerous & HIStory later on...

Highlights were all live live experiences from Bad, Dangerous & HIStory and seeing him at the VMAs 95 (not the performance, just on the red carpet outside!).

He was just adored in the 80s. He was like from another planet as his genius was unparalleled. Even in the 90s also, he was still loved by most but as Matt insinuated above, familiarity breeds contempt and we know how that decade ended. But musically I don't think he was ever in doubt.

Plus, unlike his peers full families loved MJ, when I was walking to Roundhay Park for Bad & Dangerous live, full families were in the streets singing his songs.

My love for him has only increased for him throughout the years.

I'm 42 now so MJ was the biggest artist ever when I was growing up. It was a great time for the 'superstar' in general, with the holy trinity of MJ, Prince & Madonna.

I recall buying Thriller on tape, Bad as my first ever CD and Dangerous & HIStory later on...

Highlights were all live live experiences from Bad, Dangerous & HIStory and seeing him at the VMAs 95 (not the performance, just on the red carpet outside!).

He was just adored in the 80s. He was like from another planet as his genius was unparalleled. Even in the 90s also, he was still loved by most but as Matt insinuated above, familiarity breeds contempt and we know how that decade ended. But musically I don't think he was ever in doubt.

Plus, unlike his peers full families loved MJ, when I was walking to Roundhay Park for Bad & Dangerous live, full families were in the streets singing his songs.

My love for him has only increased for him throughout the years.

That's a very good point Tony and one which has strangely never occurred to me, despite being the case in my own family. I mean, my dad is in his mid-sixties now and he has a TWYMMF ringtone. MJ and The Beatles is pretty much all my mum listens to. His appeal was and still is so broad.

I will soon be 46 in March and I remember clearly when Thriller, the album, shook up the music industry in 1982 and well into 1984 (and beyond of course), but those two years were UNBELIEVABLE for Michael in terms of coolness, popularity, constant news, and high praise for his artistry/music. News about him came from print, television, and radio stations. I remember scanning magazine racks for his image on covers and watching MTV to catch his videos...remember World Premiere videos? :happy: I collected little Michael buttons and placed them in rows on a jacket I wore back then. I still have my original Thriller vinyl and Bad was my first ever CD, too, Tony.

It was a major, special event to watch the Grammys or the Oscars (when he was there) or a premiere of one of his videos. Or the making of one of his videos. I would buy all his albums and every cassette or CD single I could find. :yes: I bought Moonwalk, Moonwalker, and Dancing the Dream when they came out, going to a store for just that one Michael thing.

In my opinion, no one in the music/entertainment industry even comes close to matching his fame or his world-wide influence. He remains a treasure. :heart:

I was born in the wrong era wow. This is very interesting to read.

I think video premieres should have been used for Love Never Felt So Good worldwide, simultaneously releasing it online. Imagine it during the adbreak that would gained so much attention, but would have cost millions.

Last edited:
I remember scanning magazine racks for his image on covers and watching MTV to catch his videos...remember World Premiere videos? :happy:

The premier of several of MJ videos was a big event - like premier on prime time TV. I don't think anyone else had that.

The premieres were my favourite bit. Decades before the internet, trying to catch the new short films was a major effort!

The UK was a few years behind getting MTV, so the short films were shown on other shows. I remember waiting soooo long for Smooth Criminal on some Channel 4 show, they kept teasing us by showing a clip each week, and I had my VHS record on pause every week & then finally they showed the full thing. Oh my God - I can still remember how I felt.

I'd say major mailstones for me were:
1. Hearing my Dad playing OTW
2. Hearing Billie Jean
3. Seeing Motown 25
4. Seeing Thriller film
5. Bad film premier - THIS WAS WHEN I WENT INTO SUPERFANDOM!!
6. Buying the Bad CD on repeat for days
7. Smooth Criminal - the song & video. If I hadn't realised before, I realised then that Michael Jackson made songs like no-one else could
8. The Bad Tour - Live at Leeds (on his 30th Birthday)
9. DANGEROUS - If my life had a happiness graph, it went off the chart at this point
10. EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DANGEROUS - For four years I was obsessed and it got me through some tough times at University
11. The Oprah Interview. Specifically the Who Is It part. I had no idea he could do this. I fell of my seat and rewound it 1000 times.
12. Dangerous Live at Leeds
13. The Day HIStory came out & that whole era
14. Touring round the US with my HIStory tape, listening to it on a Greyhound bus with strangers! Buying rarities in 2nd hand stores e.g. Someone Put Your Hand Out 3" CD! & seeing MJ in person outside Radio City Music Hall & then running back to the hostel to see THAT performance.
15. HIStory live twice. As other thread has shown although I feel they weren't his best shows, they were still MJ moments.
16. Ghosts. Just when I thought I had seen everything and he has peaked, he brings this out. I mean, only MJ could make something as great as this that most people haven't heard of. A Stunning piece of work. My VHS boxset is worn out. I NEED A DVD or BLU RAY!!
17. The This Is It excitement & getting my opening night tickets. Can't write anymore about that. Just too cruel.

Even now when I hear Jam, Who Is It, Give In To Me, Will You Be There, Earth Song, TDCAU, Working Day & Night, Off The Wall, Another Part Of Me, Little Susie, Stranger in Moscow, Billie Jean, WBSS, Heartbreak Hotel, Man In The Mirror etc...etc...etc... I am amazed. I mean I don't just listen to the song as background music, despite having heard them all thousands of times, I mean they truly amaze me as if the first time.

I do feel grateful I was there for it all, the amazing highs and the heartbreaking lows. His music and visuals have made me cry and I have cried with him when the world was so cruel to him. Do I wish he would have handled certain things differently? Yes. But only because he would have been treated better and it may have ended differently. But no-one outside my family & close friends has ever brought me as much pleasure or affected my life as much. Love him.

Getting teary at these recollection of memories, breaks my heart that i was born in 1995 :cry:

Awwww Zakk :(

I know a lot of "Young" fans regret they haven't been born earlier .....
and yes, I agree people of my age have been spoilled with great music
in my opinion the 80s were the best ever!!

But we still have so much to enjoy this music, CD's, YouTube and even the Radio never gives up on this.

Turning 47 soon, I can only say this: I wish I was younger ;) lol

The premieres were my favourite bit. Decades before the internet, trying to catch the new short films was a major effort!

The UK was a few years behind getting MTV, so the short films were shown on other shows. I remember waiting soooo long for Smooth Criminal on some Channel 4 show, they kept teasing us by showing a clip each week, and I had my VHS record on pause every week & then finally they showed the full thing. Oh my God - I can still remember how I felt.

I like the Internet, it has many benefits and all but I think a lot of excitement is lost because of it. I remember having my VHS casette of MJ videos always in the recorder so that if a MJ video came on that I did not have yet I could record it. It was such a great thing to catch a new one! It was fun. I also remember reading all these teen bopper magazines and anxiously waiting for whether there would be any news or new photos about MJ in them. Of course, my wall was full of his posters too.

And MJ was literally larger than life. I did not live through Thriller era and that was his popularity peak, but when I learnt about him and became a fan during the Bad era he was still massively popular. Mind you, he always was until his death. Yes, he was polarizing due to an unfair media campaign against him, but on the other hand look at the 2006 World Music Awards. Look at how people stormed his car wherever he showed up. So despite of the negativity of the media people could not help but be drawn to him. Imagine that and a lot MORE but without the negativity! Well, that was the Bad and Dangerous era. Although there was already some criticism because of his appearance but it did not matter. I think the intro to the Dangerous: The Short Films DVD captures the atmosphere of that era very well.

I'm 49 later this month and remember Looking Through The Windows by the Jackson 5. I loved that song. But then I didn't hear much from Michael until Destiny which I think really stands the test of time. Off The Wall was massive and this was when it became apparent that Michael was going to be around a loooong time. The funny thing is that I didn't buy Thriller for ages, there was no need. I swear that you could turn on the radio and some station would be playing one of his songs. Nowadays I think some people take Thriller for granted or feel it gets too much attention but it was such a game changer. Beat It crossed over into the rock world in a way that was pretty much unheard of at the time. Rock hated Disco and Michael was seen as a Disco artist but the rock crowed loved Beat It because Eddie Van Halen was the greatest guitarist at the time and if he said Michael rocked who could argue. Billie Jean put black artists onto MTV and Thriller was like nothing people had seen before. The shock waves from Thriller are still being felt now. Michael went stratospheric and grew as an artist. He was truly loved by everyone and every news story was giving him more and more praise. Sadly the press being the press meant this could not last and they would turn on him but I still think back to those golden days.

I feel so sorry for you young fans that never got to experience Michael mania. I am 35 now and I do some what remember Michael mania. I was only 4 when it had started. But from what I can remember it was truly the most greatest time to be a MJ fan. Especially since MJ haters were practically unheard of back then. And if I remember correctly you were consider cool to like Michael Jackson. No one really had anything bad to say about him. Back in 1984 they did this program about him. Here is the link if you younger MJ fans want to see it. This program truly tells you what it was like back then. And like I had said before. It was truly the most greatest time ever to be a fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oYfHJj2TA&list=PLBD61BA36A6ABA151

The premier of several of MJ videos was a big event - like premier on prime time TV. I don't think anyone else had that.

Yeah, I've read from multiple sources that Black or White premiered simultaneously around the world to 500,000,000 people! The world population in 1991 was 5,408,908,724 so essentially ~9.2% of the ENTIRE WORLD were watching the new Michael Jackson short film at this exact same time.

Completely mindblowing... well that's Michael for ya :p

I feel so sorry for you young fans that never got to experience Michael mania.

I'm only 19 so I never really experienced Michael Mania. I grew up during the trials and I remember knowing of him, but never really paying attention to him. After finding my parents HIStory CD on March 8 2008 (yes I remember the exact day :D) I became a fan of MJ. Being 2008 though, I was afraid to tell people I was a fan because of his public perception at the time so while I played him a lot on my iPod, I never really made a big deal about it.

As morbid as it might sound, I feel I am lucky enough to experience the unity that was felt as a result of his death. While no-where near the level of Michael Mania I'm sure, I really loved seeing everyone come together once again over his music. You couldn't go for a walk without hearing some shop or car speeding past, blasting his music. He was on the radio heaps and he was also on the cover of just about every magazine/website (sometimes for the sad reasons, but also more positive reasons like discussing his achievements). People were giving tributes all over the world and... I dunno. I was just happy that world was able to reunite (even if briefly) over his music once again. We need more of that tbh. The power of music is incredible.

It felt like a taste of what Michael Mania was like back in the 1980s to me.

I am 24 this year and became a fan at the age of 4 when HIStory was out, by the time I was 8/9 I was a huge fan and started to get all of his albums etc. I have always wished I could have experienced Michael mania, it's annoying to know I'll never truly know what it was like

I must have written about this on here before, but it's nice to reminisce...

I became a fan back in 1992, when I was 10 years old. My country was just recently freed from the so called Iron Curtain. Before that, we haven't had any outside artists come to Romania, we could barely get a hold of some "illegal" cassettes or vinyls with music from the West...
So, comes 1992, Michael announces that he will do a concert in Bucharest (if I'm not wrong, the first international artist to do that at that time). Luckily for us, he had a Romanian tour promoter. The excitement around this event was huge. All of a sudden, we had all his videos playing on tv, he was everywhere in the newspapers, everyone was talking about him (there were positive and negative things being written, like always). I couldn't go to the concert that time, being so young, but I was living near the stadium where it took place, and, all day, I and the kids in my building could see the people going there and we could hear this constant loud chanting "Michael, Michael" (it remained with us for a long time after. we used to greet each other like that afterwards, lol).

In 1996 I was old enough to go to the concert. I was so mesmerized, that, to tell you the truth, I couldn't remember much right after.
Unfortunately, by this time, there were a lot of negative vibes about Michael in the press (accusations, plastic surgery, etc.). We had our own tabloids that were spreading lies. Nevertheless, the concert was sold out. And the atmosphere was fantastic.

Yep, I'm glad I was a little part of the Michael-mania of the 90's!

I was born in 86, so although I don't remember the actual release of Bad, I remember Bad for as long as I remember anything!

That's what started me off straight away. While I don't remember any "Michael Mania" moments around that time, as TV in Ireland was so lame (pre sky) I do remember my first introduction to Michael Mania in the form of The Legend Continues. I think this was the thing that really explained to me how BIG Michael was.

Then Moonwalker- the movie, the games, the books- that says it all! Even though the clips of people fainting were edited into Man in the Mirror, they still actually happened!

Then came 1991... I remember this like it was yesterday. I think we had Mtv around this time and I remember the hype- the posters around the city, in HMV, Golden Discs everywhere was covered in Dangerous adverts. Then when it dropped, you just couldnt turn away from Black or White either on the TV or on radio. It was everywhere. I remember seeing SO many copies of counterfeit Dangerous being sold in LImerick too (oh, pre internet days!!!).

I don't remember much about hype for Lansdowne Road 92, but I remember being aware that he was playing, but still too young to realise what I was missing. I was a bit too young to attend the concert too, or so I was told!

After that, I'm sure lots of us can remember all the Michael Jackson weekends that took up on MTV for entire weekends and sometimes weeks! These were my favourite weekends as I remember this was how I first got to see clips of the Dangerous Tour (didnt have BBC).

I'll always have a great place in my heart for Dangerous the short films- was a huge deal for me when it came out. Although Dangerous wasnt as good to Bad for me as a kid, this tape really helped me appreciate the album more.

The run up to HIStory has to be the best time ever though. Michael was everywhere. I remember the reports of the statues on the rivers and around the world. After the release it was crazy with MORE MJ weekends on MTV. I mean, these weekends were so frequent!

I remember wearing out the tape of side 1 of History- I had to get so many copies. (By the way, I cant begin to tell you how many tapes of Bad I got through since it came out!)

I was lucky enough to see Michael in July 97 in Dublin and this was where I witnessed Michael Mania first hand. This is before any murmurs of lip syncing or lupus or tired dancing. Being in the RDS you could feel the magic. Even though I was seated with my dad, and around many of whom I wouldnt consider big Michael Fans (fairweather fans I call them) everyone could not but just get caught up in what was happening. From the moment the poxy Human Nature boyband finished, the buzz was electric. Then from the moment the pod burst through the stage, that was it- Michael was in front of us and Michael Mania was alive.

The crowd was on fire for the whole gig, people screaming all over the place. Although I remained seated for most of the gig, lots didnt (thankfully the people didnt either!) I remember the night vividly (thankfully)

To me, from what I remember one of the biggest reactions and sent a shock up my spine was the opening chords of Blood on the Dance Floor. This was recently number 1 in Ireland and everyone was pumped! There was huge hype around this album too, and was the first physical CD single and album I ever bought (out of my own money!). The cover and cardboard cutouts of Michael were EVERYWHERE. I was always so disappointed I never asked any of the CD stores if I could have 1 when they were finished. It is still something I look for to this day, what with it being my first ever CD purchase and my favourite Michael Jackson song of all time.

I think aside from the VMA's and any performances that I can remember having been crazily anticiapted, the only other thing I remember is everyone waiting for the What More Can I Give show in Munich, as this was televised on Irish TV. All my friends were blown away and kept talking to me about it.

As far as Michael Mania goes, that brings me up to Invincible which I'm sure most remember anyway, so I'll just stop ranting now!

Last edited:
I remember the cardboard cut-out statues of the History and BOTD albums in Woolworths. I remember thinking it was so cool that Michael's new album was too good to be on the shelf with all the other CD's.

nice :blush: but :cry: thread.

Michael Mania was Bliss for me. I didn't realize to what an affect it would have on me when it's all gone now :cry:

I do feel blessed :angel: with all the memories though. I just wished it didn't had to end so soon. :unsure:

Anyway, snap... Good memories hey!

I remember viviidly hearing this awesome voice on the radio and then looking up his name that was October 1982.
We had Top 30 here and Michael was just everywhere. Maybe that's why I'm so :cry: cause everywhere you looked there was Michael really!

Radio on N°1
TV shows, you had pop programs that gave out 'premieres' of Michael's latest video/ short films. Michael easily climbed or hit N° 1 and I'll always be listening or watching the same clip over and over again. Highlight of the day! :blush:

You had MJ days on MTV. Awards shows, Every music show had Michael on.

You went to the store? There was Michael on the cover! I have bookcases full of mags, scrapbooks, books.

When a new album came out, you had the front window with promo stands and posters that you of course asked if you could have once the 'promo' weeks were over. I got a promo stand from Invincible and I got HIStory posters from in the front window of a store!

It was wonderful to see how much promo stores made for Michael with stand ups and posters and special corner to present MJ's NEW album. :wub: I MISS that now :blush:

I could go on and on really. T- shirts in stores, Posters, pins, sweaters, etc...
You could just not walk in a store and not find anything Michael related.

I mean that's why I feel so lost these days... :blink: NO Excitement or Michael Mania anymore :eek:

As I said, I'm rambling too... I feel blessed to have lived thorugh it and it build me up and it was a huge part of my childhood and teeny life. If they knew, you were an MJ fan you were either carried on their hands or bullied, that was it really!

Michael Jackson, the POP Icon hey! The Golden Angel of POP.

Those were the days hey!

For people in (continental) Europe these might bring back memories of Michael Mania:

enwjz8ubmexlbuej.jpg

KOT20ed1d_15_bravo_1988_germany.jpg

bravo19880714.jpg

114341nzbxdllbsw18f28s.jpg

Bravo_2_by_kataang_willneverdie.jpg

enwoyvnam3nffna.jpg

bravo19890713.jpg

I remember the cardboard cut-out statues of the History and BOTD albums in Woolworths. I remember thinking it was so cool that Michael's new album was too good to be on the shelf with all the other CD's.

I got both of them. Awesome, awesome things. HIStory promotion wise, was unmatched for me. He was EVERYWHERE. I mean, the dude was even (in statue form) on the Thames!

It was unparalleled.
I am 37yo so was young when Thriller hit but there is no one before or since who crossed every social, economic, language and racial barrier like MJ did in that era.
I think it was Beyonce who said....
There are stars
There are superstars
There are megastars
Then there is Michael Jackson

I was 15 so I definitely remember the HIStory Era. It was the first full MJ era I remember all of it. Despite how people felt about him here in U.S. Because of what had happen 2 years before with him. Even back then it was still great of being an MJ fan. I remember going to Strawbridges getting the HIStory album. During the summer of 1995. But I had gotten my HIStory cd before the change on it. Because there was just way too much controversy over his song They Don't Care About Us. I don't know whether it was my learning disabilities. Or it was my total obsession I had with Michael back then. That I could not see what the problem was with that song. 20 years later and I still don't see what the big deal was with They Don't Care About Us. All I know it was one of the most greatest songs I had ever heard from Michael. And I so totally remember coming home from my high school one day. Putting on my bedroom tv and being in time to see Michael's Blood On The Dance Floor video. When I think how I was with those tight sexy gold pants of his back then. His Blood On The Dance Floor video. Was like 7 times more worst for me. 17 years old at the time and I became even more obsessed than I ever was before with him. I never saw Michael looking as sexy as he did in that video. My senior year of high school I remember nearly putting a girl in the hospital. Because that hater was making fun of my beloved Michael. Back then in my high school I was an absolute attack dog defending it's owner property. You will suffer the consequences if you ever say anything bad about my beloved Michael. And with me going to a high school full of MJ haters I was always constantly defending him back then. But now I am no longer like that. Now I can very very hardly call myself a MJ fan because of what had happen to him. My major depression over what had happen to him. Is just not allowing me to be a fan of his. At least not the way it used to be for me.:( :boohoo

Last edited:
For people in (continental) Europe these might bring back memories of Michael Mania:

enwjz8ubmexlbuej.jpg

KOT20ed1d_15_bravo_1988_germany.jpg

bravo19880714.jpg

114341nzbxdllbsw18f28s.jpg

Bravo_2_by_kataang_willneverdie.jpg

enwoyvnam3nffna.jpg

bravo19890713.jpg

Oh, yeah, the Bravo magazines! Every kid used to read those. I still have old article clippings of Michael back home :)

Because there was just way too much controversy over his song They Don't Care About Us. I don't know whether it was my learning disabilities. Or it was my total obsession I had with Michael back then. That I could not see what the problem was with that song.

I think the ones with learning disabilities are those who think there is a problem with TDCAU.

Oh, yeah, the Bravo magazines! Every kid used to read those. I still have old article clippings of Michael back home :)

What I like about BRAVO is that they have always been supportive of MJ.

I got both of them. Awesome, awesome things. HIStory promotion wise, was unmatched for me. He was EVERYWHERE. I mean, the dude was even (in statue form) on the Thames!

:yes: I remember him being everywhere with the release of BAD too. All those videos and the tour and Moonwalker. Constantly in your face. I loved it.

Back